New Macbook Pro - dvd drive

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dottie57

New Macbook Pro - dvd drive

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:32 pm

For those of you who have Macs, if you have purchased an external dvd drive , would you let me know what you have and has it worked well?

tia

Update ->. I purchased a low cost drive.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

penumbra

Re: New Macbook Pro - dvd drive

Post by penumbra » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Bought a Samsung external dvd Drive about 5 years ago, for about $15-20 bucks. Still working flawlessly...comes in very handy.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:34 pm

duplicate

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Ok Millennials ... hands up if you know what a DVD player is :D . Curious why you need one? Backups? Old movies?

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Apple USB SuperDrive: $79.

More expensive than other options but it looks great and works flawlessly.

You can find them pretty cheap on eBay.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:47 pm

I've been using a Samsung external BluRay drive since 2014 with my MacBook Pro. Model number SE-506, don't know if it's still sold or not. It's handled every type of disc I've put in it - CD, DVD, BluRay. Of course, the Mac won't play BluRay movies without third party software.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:48 pm

And terrible reviews.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:03 pm

mrspock wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 pm
Ok Millennials ... hands up if you know what a DVD player is :D . Curious why you need one? Backups? Old movies?
Ok. My nephew who is a millennial knows what it is Mr Spock!.

I want it for backups.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:06 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:48 pm

+1
I have one too.

Geologist

Post by Geologist » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:37 pm

I have an Apple USB SuperDrive as well and it has worked fine for my needs.

I'm never sure what to make of online reviews myself, but then you posted here asking for online reviews.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Geologist wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:37 pm
I have an Apple USB SuperDrive as well and it has worked fine for my needs.

I'm never sure what to make of online reviews myself, but then you posted here asking for online reviews.
Smaller more select group!

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:57 pm

I bought an LG for around $25 for my Macbook Pro. It has worked flawlessly when called upon. I rarely use it though.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:32 pm
For those of you who have Macs, if you have purchased an external dvd drive , would you let me know what you have and has it worked well?

tia
How often do you or would you use it? For rare or occasional use, I've got a couple of old PC systems that I would use to read off the files and transfer them to USB or via network or internet. Or I'd borrow one.

No need, so haven't tried, but do you have USB-C? Wanted to see what the options were if you truly needed such an ancient device. They used to make good backup devices, but these days, the capacity is too limited. I have a variety of unused USB drives, so when a less than $5 USB drive deal for a 32GB thumbdrive came around, I passed. I'm looking into a 6TB drive for my photos and videos, but trying to figure out where to back it up, and disc drives are just not big enough these days.

https://www.imore.com/best-cddvd-drives-mac

The one with USB 3.0 and USB-C is versatile.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:55 pm

mrspock wrote:
Curious why you need one? Backups? Old movies?
I use my ancient Mac's internal CD/DVD drive mainly for ripping CDs so I can load them into iTunes, and archive the files onto an external HDD. I have thousands of CDs, so I expect to be doing this for many years. When I finally break down and buy a new iMac sometime soon, I'll have to buy an external drive for it.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:37 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:30 pm
Dottie57 wrote:

tia
How often do you or would you use it? For rare or occasional use, I've got a couple of old PC systems that I would use to read off the files and transfer them to USB or via network or internet. Or I'd borrow one.

No need, so haven't tried, but do you have USB-C? Wanted to see what the options were if you truly needed such an ancient device. They used to make good backup devices, but these days, the capacity is too limited. I have a variety of unused USB drives, so when a less than $5 USB drive deal for a 32GB thumbdrive came around, I passed. I'm looking into a 6TB drive for my photos and videos, but trying to figure out where to back it up, and disc drives are just not big enough these days.

I am trying to clean out all of my old computers which is why I want to purchase a cheap Dvd drive. I have three oldies.

The new 16” Macbook Pro doesn’t have a dvd drive - no surprise. The new laptop is physically beautiful. The big surprise is that sound when playing music - best sound I’ve heard from a laptop ever.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:30 pm
Dottie57 wrote:

tia

Agree. I’ll pull the trigger on one soon.

Thanks for the link.

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:45 am

If you are backing up data from 3 old computers and transferring it to a new MacBook, have you considered getting an external hard drive?

CD/DVD are ancient technology.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:55 am

mrspock wrote:
Considering most grew up on VHS tapes I think they all would know what a DVD player is.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:11 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:03 pm
mrspock wrote:

I want it for backups.
How much data needs to be backed up? A large capacity flash drive might solve your problem.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:23 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:11 am
Dottie57 wrote:
mrspock wrote:

I want it for backups.
How much data needs to be backed up? A large capacity flash drive might solve your problem.
Next year I’ll be making a conscious effort at backups. I want cds of my music and pictures and financial docs and misc files. I also want an online backup solution. I’ll be consolidating 3 computers into one. It should be interesting to consolidate - not in a good way.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 am

mrspock wrote:
At one time people used them for backups, obviously external hard drives are now so cheap, that works just as well and are faster.

Another reason I used to use one was to rip movies from DVDs I owned using a program called Handbrake and store them on the laptop or move them to another device to watch while flying. This isn't as important anymore since you can now easily download movies from Netflix, Amazon, etc. directly to the table, laptop, etc. to watch while off line.

The government still uses them (write once CDs) in secure areas since you can put data on them (i.e., write once to them) and then copy the data on the other machine. If you use something like a USB stick, that creates security issues since it is possible to get malware on it, then when you move it between the two machines, data could be copied unknown to you . Basically could provide a way to "jump" an air gapped machine.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:23 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
mrspock wrote:

I want it for backups.
Next year I’ll be making a conscious effort at backups. I want cds of my music and pictures and financial docs and misc files. I also want an online backup solution. I’ll be consolidating 3 computers into one. It should be interesting to consolidate - not in a good way.
You'll want an external hard drive. You can use Time Machine to do the backups.

Purchasing enough iCloud space and using iCloud drive on your computers to back up your pictures, music, financial docs and files provides the online solution.

Now that Apple Music contains 50 Million tracks, unless you have some off-the-beaten path stuff, you would be covered. Plus, having Apple Music includes the price of iTunes Match (that's all the old music from your CD's and non-purchased via iTunes music that is off-the-beaten path and you want to keep) that you can back up in the iCloud and share with all of your devices. Without the Apple Music subscription, iTunes match is $25 per year.

I would dump all the hardware backups and just go with the iCloud subscription to back everything up and have a much easier way to move files in the future between devices. Unless you like to have a basement filled with old gear (junk) that requires a bunch of adapters to connect to new equipment in the future. :beer

It's almost 2020. The Cloud is here to stay and continuing to grow. Nothing wrong with cobbling together all the old equipment, back ups, storage, and moving it from device to device - but there is a more streamlined path available if you are interested. The price of a quality USB/USBC external hard drive is not much and you can back all of your files up to it for a hard copy of everything.

CyclingDuo
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am
Dottie57 wrote:
TN_Boy wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
mrspock wrote:

I want it for backups.

Purchasing enough iCloud space and using iCloud drive on your computers to back up your pictures, music, financial docs and files provides the online solution.

Now that Apple Music contains 50 Million tracks, unless you have some off-the-beaten path stuff, you would be covered. Plus, having Apple Music includes the price of iTunes Match (that's all the old music from your CD's and non-purchased via iTunes music that is off-the-beaten path and you want to keep) that you can back up in the iCloud and share with all of your devices. Without the Apple Music subscription, iTunes match is $25 per year.

I would dump all the hardware backups and just go with the iCloud subscription to back everything up and have a much easier way to move files in the future between devices. Unless you like to have a basement filled with old gear (junk) that requires a bunch of adapters to connect to new equipment in the future. :beer

It's almost 2020. The Cloud is here to stay and continuing to grow. Nothing wrong with cobbling together all the old equipment, back ups, storage, and moving it from device to device - but there is a more streamlined path available if you are interested. The price of a quality USB/USBC external hard drive is not much and you can back all of your files up to it for a hard copy of everything.

CyclingDuo
Are you saying Time Machine backups go to iCloud? Or do you copy entire directory structures to ICloud?

Included in my data are some ripped dvds. I don’t want to repurchase the content.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am
CyclingDuo wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
TN_Boy wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:

I want it for backups.

CyclingDuo
Are you saying Time Machine backups go to iCloud? Or do you copy entire directory structures to ICloud?
No, you will use Time Machine to back up to the external hard drive that you purchase. The iCloud is a computer in a warehouse which each Apple ID is assigned to a specific computer(s) where your files that you choose to back up in your iCloud Drive on your computer are backed up on a hard drive owned, maintained, and operated by Apple's iCloud service. It sounded like you wanted two solutions. One for a physical back up (external hard drive that you purchase and own, and one for an online backup solution (the iCloud).

https://support.apple.com/mac-backup

If you have an Apple Store near you, sign up for one of their basic Mac classes or a one on one session to get help with both of your solutions so you are clear on how to do it, and what it is you are doing. Tons of videos and help from their support site and all over the internet as well that can guide you through the process for each.

CyclingDuo
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm

I have an LG. Works great. I’ve been using it to put books on CD to my phone.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:18 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am
CyclingDuo wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
TN_Boy wrote:

CyclingDuo
No, you will use Time Machine to back up to the external hard drive that you purchase. The iCloud is a computer in a warehouse which each Apple ID is assigned to a specific computer(s) where your files that you choose to back up in your iCloud Drive on your computer are backed up on a hard drive owned, maintained, and operated by Apple's iCloud service. It sounded like you wanted two solutions. One for a physical back up (external hard drive that you purchase and own, and one for an online backup solution (the iCloud).

https://support.apple.com/mac-backup

If you have an Apple Store near you, sign up for one of their basic Mac classes or a one on one session to get help with both of your solutions so you are clear on how to do it, and what it is you are doing. Tons of videos and help from their support site and all over the internet as well that can guide you through the process for each.

CyclingDuo
I’ll sign up for a class or find out how to get personalized help with iCloud. Thanks for the help. I do want to be more organized in 2020.

Update —- thanks for the link. No class needed.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Purchased a MacBook Pro five years ago and have never had a need for a dvd external drive.

Can you work around?
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:50 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 pm
Purchased a MacBook Pro five years ago and have never had a need for a dvd external drive.

Can you work around?
I ordered one for 31$. If it is a mistake, it is a relatively inexpensive one.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:50 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Can you work around?
I ordered one for 31$. If it is a mistake, it is a relatively inexpensive one.
Agreed good point.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:48 pm

Dottie57 wrote: Next year I’ll be making a conscious effort at backups.
You don’t have to make any effort. Like Cyclingduo mentioned, just connect an external drive and turn on Time-Machine (USB-C solid state drives are nice and fast)
Dottie57 wrote: I want cds of my music and pictures and financial docs and misc files.
CDs are dead and buried. If you want your files accessible, just keep them on your actual Mac SSD. (which will be backed up via Time Machine and iCloud)
Dottie57 wrote: I also want an online backup solution.
Also no effort. Just turn on iCloud Drive.

Don’t fight the beauty and simplicity that is the Mac. CDs are the dark side. :)

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:28 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:37 pm
I am trying to clean out all of my old computers which is why I want to purchase a cheap Dvd drive. I have three oldies.

The new 16” Macbook Pro doesn’t have a dvd drive - no surprise. The new laptop is physically beautiful. The big surprise is that sound when playing music - best sound I’ve heard from a laptop ever.
If all you're doing is pulling data off old systems, I agree with others that a flash drive or external hard drive is a better option, if they're not so old that they have USB ports. If they still have floppy drives, you might need to borrow a CD/DVD drive, but that needs a USB port as well (unless you need and are able to find something older). And you can go directly to the cloud with any of the older systems that have internet access. Google Drive, Dropbox, Icloud, OneDrive, Box, etc. all include small amounts of free space.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/306323/th ... g-services

Remember, if they're that old, you might not need the data anymore and you can take advantage of the opportunity to retire it. Tax returns from 10 years ago and all supporting documentation has little value. Some data may be less relevant. I kept a lot of stuff that today, I can just google and find it, like software updates and drivers. Most of my MP3s are no longer relevant now that I subscribe to Apple Music. All my relevant data fits on a small USB drive and my need to store personal photos and videos is the only reason I need a big external hard drive these days, and even then, I'm working on thinning out the collection to only keeping the best captured moments.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 am

The cd player is coming abd relatively cheap.

I will turn on time machine.

For iCloud drive - not sure. Is it not a monthly charge for the space? I would want at least a terabyte.