Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
protagonist
Posts: 6039
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by protagonist » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:44 pm

I have a vintage but quality stereo system, mostly dating back to the 1980s/1990s. PS Audio 4.6 preamp, Chord 400 amp, pair of Vandersteen 2C speakers. Needless to say, no bluetooth, just old audio/RCA cables.

I just got a 55" Vizio M8 TV.

Question: Would I be better off getting a dedicated soundbar (approx. $150-$200) for my TV, or one of these little bluetooth receivers ($50-$150) that could plug into my preamp to play the TV through my Vandersteen speakers? https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... -speakers/

The advantage of the latter would be that I could play music from my phone through my speakers as well, and those speakers would be much higher quality than the soundbar. That said, the soundbar may be better for the kind of sounds from TV and movies, and would prob. have a subwoofer included.

I would also be interested in product recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

22twain
Posts: 2111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by 22twain » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:00 am

Does the TV have RCA audio output jacks?
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

random_walker
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:14 am

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by random_walker » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:44 am

protagonist wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:44 pm
I have a vintage but quality stereo system, mostly dating back to the 1980s/1990s. PS Audio 4.6 preamp, Chord 400 amp, pair of Vandersteen 2C speakers. Needless to say, no bluetooth, just old audio/RCA cables.

I just got a 55" Vizio M8 TV.

Question: Would I be better off getting a dedicated soundbar (approx. $150-$200) for my TV, or one of these little bluetooth receivers ($50-$150) that could plug into my preamp to play the TV through my Vandersteen speakers? https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... -speakers/

The advantage of the latter would be that I could play music from my phone through my speakers as well, and those speakers would be much higher quality than the soundbar. That said, the soundbar may be better for the kind of sounds from TV and movies, and would prob. have a subwoofer included.

I would also be interested in product recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
The soundbar is very versatile.
A soundbar can also play music from your phone via bluetooth.
You can even control the soundbar from a phone app.

User avatar
Fletch
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm
Location: USA

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by Fletch » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:52 am

I have an 11 year old Sony Bravia 55" flatscreen. I recently bought a Polk Signa S2 soundbar with bluetooth connected subwoofer ($130) which has digital optical input from the TV, HDMI feedback to the TV, and bluetooth. The TV HDMI input is not "ARC". TV sound via the soundbar "drops" for a second or so every few seconds to few minutes; sound from the TV is fine. In trying to troubleshoot, I have replaced all the various cables and much of the equipment (digital optical, HDMI, coax to set top box, the set top box which Verizon graciously did at no charge, and the Polk soundbar which Polk graciously replaced at no charge) and tried every possible setting on the TV sound settings - all to no avail. I tried the soundbar with a friend's small portable flatscreen - it also had the sound dropouts. The Polk soundbar plays flawlessly via bluetooth from my new iPhone. I have given up. I think the "old" TV, and my friend's 3 or 4 year old TV are just not compatible with the newer technology of the soundbar for whatever reason. If anyone has any ideas on what else it could be, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Bottom line - make sure the TV connections are EXACTLY compatible with the soundbar. Good luck.

P.S. the sound from the Polk Signa S2 is far superior to the sound from the Sony TV internal speakers.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

mmmodem
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by mmmodem » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:45 am

There's a technology called ARC to connect sounds bars these days. It's a few years old now so I'm going to assume all current sound bar and TVs have it. Way too many of our friends and family went the home stereo route to connect our TVs. The connections weren't just complicated but cumbersome as well especially when you have to change sources. With ARC, a single TV remote turns off and on the soundbar. It changes the volume on the soundbar. The TV volume automatically mutes when it detects the soundbar. When you change HDMI sources, the audio changes as well. The whole thing is connected through a single HDMI cable. If you also have HDMI CEC devices, the whole thing works without remotes. Alexa and my PlayStation controllers turn on the TV and soundbar.

TL;DR
Get the sound bar for easy integration. If you want to BT to your stereo, simple BT 4.0 adapters sell for <$30.

carolinaman
Posts: 3885
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by carolinaman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 am

I recently bought a new smart tv. I have a Sony home theatre bought in 2004. I was leaning towards a sound bar replacement but son convinced me to get a new receiver and use my existing speakers. We rarely used the home theatre system but I discovered my sub woofer was not working. So we replaced it and bought a Denon 1500 receiver. It is probably more than we need but it is an awesome system that is extremely versatile. Setup would have been complicated for me but my son did all the speaker connections. This system provides a superior sound and can do much more than typical soundbars.

Without my sons help I would gone for a soundbar.

Dottie57
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereoA/V receiver

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:16 am

I like the simplicity of a sound bar. Ten years ago I bought a new a A/V receiver. It was expensive, complicated to set up and use. I really didn’t use it much. Am getting rid of it soon.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 17606
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by Watty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:24 am

One issue to consider is that the stereo speakers may not be positioned correctly for where the TV is located.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9542
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:34 am

In addition to what mmmodem said, I’ll add that ARC finally solved an infuriating problem I was having with unsynchronized audio and video. Many shows looked like badly dubbed foreign films. I fiddled with the adjustment, which iirc had 10 millisecond increments. It would be okayish for one source, and then ... ARC is perfect synch. I have ARC* on my 5.1 home theater, and 3 sound bars. Essential. Everything else is boat anchors.

* interestingly, on my receiver, ARC stands for both Anthem Room Correction and Audio Return Channel. I love both of them equally :D
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

User avatar
Summit111
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by Summit111 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 am

I replaced all my vintage audio equipment with Sonos gear. Plays audio from the TV flawlessly, controlled from an app, and plays music throughout our home...It’s also expandable as needed....Really satisfied with results...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

HoosierJim
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 am

I was doing the same thing with stereo but sound bar had wireless subwoofer and remote speakers. so the sound bar is plugged into the TV but the subwoofer and 2 remote speakers are wireless which is nice.
Last edited by HoosierJim on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
protagonist
Posts: 6039
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by protagonist » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:03 am

22twain wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:00 am
Does the TV have RCA audio output jacks?
yes.

Topic Author
protagonist
Posts: 6039
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by protagonist » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:08 am

random_walker wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:44 am
protagonist wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:44 pm
I have a vintage but quality stereo system, mostly dating back to the 1980s/1990s. PS Audio 4.6 preamp, Chord 400 amp, pair of Vandersteen 2C speakers. Needless to say, no bluetooth, just old audio/RCA cables.

I just got a 55" Vizio M8 TV.

Question: Would I be better off getting a dedicated soundbar (approx. $150-$200) for my TV, or one of these little bluetooth receivers ($50-$150) that could plug into my preamp to play the TV through my Vandersteen speakers? https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... -speakers/

The advantage of the latter would be that I could play music from my phone through my speakers as well, and those speakers would be much higher quality than the soundbar. That said, the soundbar may be better for the kind of sounds from TV and movies, and would prob. have a subwoofer included.

I would also be interested in product recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
The soundbar is very versatile.
A soundbar can also play music from your phone via bluetooth.
You can even control the soundbar from a phone app.
Yes, but I assume music would probably sound better played through my preamp/amp/speakers via a bluetooth connection using this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHTGZR4/?t ... AAAAAAAJIj

Though with .mp3s I don't know if it would make that much difference, the .mp3/bluetooth being the limiting factor.

I don't have cable....I only watch movies or TV shows that I stream or cast to my TV or via HDMI, and I actually don't watch much. The setup with the Audioengine B1 would be very simple....I would just stream the audio from my phone or laptop via Bluetooth to the little Audioengine B1 receiver which would be connected to my preamp via RCA cables. So very few wires. It would be at least as simple and uncluttered a setup as a soundbar and would take up much less room. That said I don't have a subwoofer- just a pair of audiophile speakers from the 1980s that produce stellar sound.

Here is Wirecutter's review of the Audioengine B1 ($151): https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... -speakers/ They claim that " streaming audio from my laptop to the B1 (using aptX encoding) sounded significantly better than connecting the computer to my stereo using a cable from the computer’s headphone jack.".

Another option would be a soundbar for the TV and the B1 for streaming music. The thing is that my current preamp/amp/speaker setup was designed for music... TV "home theater systems" were not much of a thing when I purchased my speakers.

vested1
Posts: 1832
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by vested1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 am

mmmodem wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:45 am
There's a technology called ARC to connect sounds bars these days. It's a few years old now so I'm going to assume all current sound bar and TVs have it. Way too many of our friends and family went the home stereo route to connect our TVs. The connections weren't just complicated but cumbersome as well especially when you have to change sources. With ARC, a single TV remote turns off and on the soundbar. It changes the volume on the soundbar. The TV volume automatically mutes when it detects the soundbar. When you change HDMI sources, the audio changes as well. The whole thing is connected through a single HDMI cable. If you also have HDMI CEC devices, the whole thing works without remotes. Alexa and my PlayStation controllers turn on the TV and soundbar.

TL;DR
Get the sound bar for easy integration. If you want to BT to your stereo, simple BT 4.0 adapters sell for <$30.
I think it depends on the T.V. I bought a 75" Samsung 4HD T.V. a couple of months ago with a Samsung sound bar, connected to ARC. I had the Geek Squad from Best Buy install the T.V., sound bar, wireless rear speakers, and the blue tooth wireless headphones they said would work. The 1st sound bar they installed was incompatible and was replaced. The blue tooth optical headphones (Sony) they sold me were useless because when you turned down the volume on the head phones it also turned down the volume on the sound bar, and you had to sync the headphones every time you wanted to use them as well.

I eventually found some optical wireless headphones from Insignia, after trying numerous types and taking them back when they didn't work. The Insignias worked but only when I split the optical signal with an optical splitter directly out of the T.V., one to the sound bar and one to the headphones. Best Buy was no help and didn't have a clue as to how to configure the equipment they sell. My remaining problem that I haven't been able to figure out is that the headphones only work on cable, in our case Direct T.V.. Netflix, and Amazon Video don't work on the headphones and I suspect that the new PS4 I just bought won't either, but I haven't hooked it up yet. I tried to get an answer from a technical forum but had no luck. I even tried bypassing the sound bar but the headphones still wouldn't work on internet based input from Netflix or Amazon through the T.V..

I suspect the problem may be that the new Samsung T.V.'s, and most other brands, only have one audio output, which is optical, and that the signal from Samsung may be encrypted, because the only sound from an internet based signal source is mangled by the headphones. You can get all signals through the T.V. speakers and sound bar however. This may not be a problem with the new Sony T.V.'s because they still have multiple audio outputs. Any insight would be appreciated. Again, the headphones work great on Direct T.V. and the volume control is independent of the sound bar.

These same headphones work fine on our older smart T.V.s in the house that have multiple audio output sources on the T.V.. It may also be that AT+T who owns Direct T.V. may be scrambling signals to force you into watching their programming, or perhaps Samsung wants you to buy only their equipment (pick your favorite conspiracy theory). It may also be that I need to separate the built in internet signals from the T.V. sources by using a fire stick and syncing it with my wifi.

Sorry for the hijack, borne out of desperation. P.S. The new Samsung 4HD blue Ray I bought works though the sound bar and speakers but doesn't work through the headphones either.

Topic Author
protagonist
Posts: 6039
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by protagonist » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:09 am

vested1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 am
mmmodem wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:45 am
There's a technology called ARC to connect sounds bars these days. It's a few years old now so I'm going to assume all current sound bar and TVs have it. Way too many of our friends and family went the home stereo route to connect our TVs. The connections weren't just complicated but cumbersome as well especially when you have to change sources. With ARC, a single TV remote turns off and on the soundbar. It changes the volume on the soundbar. The TV volume automatically mutes when it detects the soundbar. When you change HDMI sources, the audio changes as well. The whole thing is connected through a single HDMI cable. If you also have HDMI CEC devices, the whole thing works without remotes. Alexa and my PlayStation controllers turn on the TV and soundbar.

TL;DR
Get the sound bar for easy integration. If you want to BT to your stereo, simple BT 4.0 adapters sell for <$30.
I think it depends on the T.V. I bought a 75" Samsung 4HD T.V. a couple of months ago with a Samsung sound bar, connected to ARC. I had the Geek Squad from Best Buy install the T.V., sound bar, wireless rear speakers, and the blue tooth wireless headphones they said would work. The 1st sound bar they installed was incompatible and was replaced. The blue tooth optical headphones (Sony) they sold me were useless because when you turned down the volume on the head phones it also turned down the volume on the sound bar, and you had to sync the headphones every time you wanted to use them as well.

I eventually found some optical wireless headphones from Insignia, after trying numerous types and taking them back when they didn't work. The Insignias worked but only when I split the optical signal with an optical splitter directly out of the T.V., one to the sound bar and one to the headphones. Best Buy was no help and didn't have a clue as to how to configure the equipment they sell. My remaining problem that I haven't been able to figure out is that the headphones only work on cable, in our case Direct T.V.. Netflix, and Amazon Video don't work on the headphones and I suspect that the new PS4 I just bought won't either, but I haven't hooked it up yet. I tried to get an answer from a technical forum but had no luck. I even tried bypassing the sound bar but the headphones still wouldn't work on internet based input from Netflix or Amazon through the T.V..

I suspect the problem may be that the new Samsung T.V.'s, and most other brands, only have one audio output, which is optical, and that the signal from Samsung may be encrypted, because the only sound from an internet based signal source is mangled by the headphones. You can get all signals through the T.V. speakers and sound bar however. This may not be a problem with the new Sony T.V.'s because they still have multiple audio outputs. Any insight would be appreciated. Again, the headphones work great on Direct T.V. and the volume control is independent of the sound bar.

These same headphones work fine on our older smart T.V.s in the house that have multiple audio output sources on the T.V.. It may also be that AT+T who owns Direct T.V. may be scrambling signals to force you into watching their programming, or perhaps Samsung wants you to buy only their equipment (pick your favorite conspiracy theory). It may also be that I need to separate the built in internet signals from the T.V. sources by using a fire stick and syncing it with my wifi.

Sorry for the hijack, borne out of desperation. P.S. The new Samsung 4HD blue Ray I bought works though the sound bar and speakers but doesn't work through the headphones either.
My Vizio M8 series has multiple outputs and works fine with this soundbar as soon as I plugged it in- easy setup: https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-36-2-1 ... 8/36706825. The soundbar does not have ARC (it does come with subwoofer).

I have it connected to the TV via an optical cable and to my stereo system via RCA cables to my preamp. When I play a movie, I was surprised that it comes through both my soundbar and my stereo speakers simultaneously, creating more of a home theater effect. I set it all up in minutes.

I also ordered a TCL 6 series TV that I will compare with the Vizio, keep the better of the two and return the other.

Sorry about the problems you are having. I don't know how to help you . I hope you get them sorted out.

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by dratkinson » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:30 pm

My newish LCD TV lives in same wide, tall, antique bookcase as my '70s-era stereo (Marantz model 27 receiver, Dynaco model A-25 speakers). Both have RCA connections. Much better sound for music programs (Austin City Limits, Ken Burn's "Country Music",...).

Since OP has RCA connections on both TV and receiver, trying an RCA cable connection seems like the cheap place to start to answer his "stereo vs. soundbar" question. If he likes results, then go with stereo.

The addition of bluetooth is a second decision.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

User avatar
Devil's Advocate
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by Devil's Advocate » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Anybody try the new Echo Studio??

DA

harland
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by harland » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 pm

protagonist wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:03 am
22twain wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:00 am
Does the TV have RCA audio output jacks?
yes.
Soundbars won't hold a candle to your stereo. I routinely use the ARC feature to feed an Oppo Blu-ray player that's connected to my setup (Ayre integrated amp, Vandersteen 3A Sigs).

In your case, you can use the analog output from the TV and connect it to one of your preamp inputs.
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3829
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by Ged » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:37 pm

protagonist wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:44 pm
I have a vintage but quality stereo system, mostly dating back to the 1980s/1990s. PS Audio 4.6 preamp, Chord 400 amp, pair of Vandersteen 2C speakers. Needless to say, no bluetooth, just old audio/RCA cables.

I just got a 55" Vizio M8 TV.

Question: Would I be better off getting a dedicated soundbar (approx. $150-$200) for my TV, or one of these little bluetooth receivers ($50-$150) that could plug into my preamp to play the TV through my Vandersteen speakers?
I would not do either. Bluetooth has some significant limitations, as does a soundbar. It is likely the TV has an RCA connector that will interface with your very nice stereo and give you sound superior to the choices you mentioned.

Check the user manual.

123
Posts: 5195
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by 123 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Summit111 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 am
I replaced all my vintage audio equipment with Sonos gear. Plays audio from the TV flawlessly, controlled from an app, and plays music throughout our home...It’s also expandable as needed....Really satisfied with results...
+1 I was into component audio for a long time. Then I got a pair of Sonos speakers. Sonos is expensive but the results are flawless to my ears (some older now than before) and very convenient, I just use my phone. I've come to the conclusion that turning knobs and flipping switches on stereo components is over rated.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

yogesh
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by yogesh » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Try Sonos Beam (Arc, Bluetooth, Alexa)
Add Sonos Sub (3.1) if required
Add Sonos One (5.1) if required

I have 7.2.2 upstairs in bonus room with receiver, speakers, subs, atoms and I don’t miss it when I listen to Sonos setup in family room.
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

Topic Author
protagonist
Posts: 6039
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by protagonist » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:07 am

I connected my Vizio TV to my Vizio sound bar with an optical cable and to my stereo system with RCA jacks to my preamp, and AMAZINGLY, when I played a TV show on Amazon Prime Video, the sound came through BOTH the sound bar with subwoofer AND my stereo system and sounded great.

This does not seem to work , however, when I stream content from my Samsung S7 phone to the TV, such as HBO GO (not included in the Chromecast OS on the Vizio TV), or music stored on my phone. It only plays through the sound bar, not my stereo.

Is anybody aware of a setting that would allow streaming from my phone to play through both simultaneously, just like the content played directly from the TV? The manual provides no information about this.

(By the way, I settled on the sb3621n Vizio sound bar. I originally tried the sb3651n, which is the same bar but for only $50 more gives you surround sound speakers and ARC connection, but struggled getting it to set up correctly and there was audio lag between the soundbar and my native stereo system. Thus I returned it and settled on the sb3621n, which set up effortlessly.)

iamlucky13
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:16 am

protagonist wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:44 pm
Question: Would I be better off getting a dedicated soundbar (approx. $150-$200) for my TV, or one of these little bluetooth receivers ($50-$150) that could plug into my preamp to play the TV through my Vandersteen speakers? https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... -speakers/
It depends on whether your priority is sound quality, or convenience and what gets referred to in audio forums as WAF - wife acceptance factor.

Decide which is your priority. If it's convenience, based on your background with quality equipment, I'd consider budgeting more like $400-500 for a sound bar.

If your priority is sound quality, do you need a bluetooth receiver, or do your current sources have RCA outputs you can connect to your preamp? Even if your disc player does not have RCA out, you might be able to connect it to your TV with HDMI, and then connect sound from your TV to your preamp.
protagonist wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:44 pm
That said, the soundbar may be better for the kind of sounds from TV and movies, and would prob. have a subwoofer included.
Regarding better for the sounds of TV and movies, I'd say in general, no unless you prefer a certain type of sound: sound bars, even with a subwoofer, are usually weak in the deep bass, in between the bass and the mids, and often a bit unbalanced either weak or strong somewhere in the highs.

If you want sounds rendered accurately as the movie's sound engineer intended, a sound bar will be a compromise, but average listeners won't notice, and even many above average people will happily accept it for the convenience.

I'm not familiar with your speakers, but I looked them up and found an online reprint of a Stereophile magazine test of them:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/van ... asurements

I can't imagine a $200 sound bar being even remotely comparable if you want theater quality sound. They certainly shouldn't need a subwoofer unless you want to shake the living room, given they pair 8" and 10" drivers to share the loads above and below about 70 Hz, and they tested with good extension down about 35 Hz.

Topic Author
protagonist
Posts: 6039
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by protagonist » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:37 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:16 am


I'm not familiar with your speakers, but I looked them up and found an online reprint of a Stereophile magazine test of them:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/van ... asurements

I can't imagine a $200 sound bar being even remotely comparable if you want theater quality sound. They certainly shouldn't need a subwoofer unless you want to shake the living room, given they pair 8" and 10" drivers to share the loads above and below about 70 Hz, and they tested with good extension down about 35 Hz.
That's all very true. But that said, my speakers were designed to play music accurately....not to make the floor rumble when there is an earthquake on screen. Movies are mostly dialogue and noise. Also the Vandersteen speakers are positioned near the corners of the room so dialogue does not appear to be coming from the source, as with the sound bar.

I would not choose to play music through the sound bar/subwoofer - my stereo system is far superior- but creating a good balance between my stereo system output and the soundbar seems to work very well for movies and TV....better than either alone (especially for sci-fi and action).

The sound bar/subwoofer combination is quite inexpensive but for TV and movies the quality is surprisingly good, as reflected in reviews online. It is currently available as a cybermonday special at Best Buy for $99- the one I returned was selling for $149 (basically the same unit with 2 satellite speakers and HDMI-ARC), also deeply discounted.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harland
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by harland » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm

protagonist wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:37 am
Also the Vandersteen speakers are positioned near the corners of the room so dialogue does not appear to be coming from the source, as with the sound bar.
If you're sitting in the sweet spot, dialogue should be playing in the center during a movie through your Vandersteens. The manual should have a really good setup guide to help you position your speakers. If it doesn't, download a manual for the newer model (2Ce Signature II) and check out the 'Speaker Placement' section starting on p.5. This would help with reproducing music as well.
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

Topic Author
protagonist
Posts: 6039
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by protagonist » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 pm

harland wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm
protagonist wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:37 am
Also the Vandersteen speakers are positioned near the corners of the room so dialogue does not appear to be coming from the source, as with the sound bar.
If you're sitting in the sweet spot, dialogue should be playing in the center during a movie through your Vandersteens. The manual should have a really good setup guide to help you position your speakers. If it doesn't, download a manual for the newer model (2Ce Signature II) and check out the 'Speaker Placement' section starting on p.5. This would help with reproducing music as well.
Thanks.

I'm aware of optimal speaker placement....unfortunately my home does not give me that ability since I have a very open floor plan with few choices. It's about as good as it can get.

psy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 am

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by psy1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Go with Sonos. For a relatively small amount you can continue to use your high end vintage gear and also add wireless gear of decent quality. Plus you can use your existing speakers wirelessly with your phone or home network as well. Keep it simple.

dziuniek
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: Corrupticut

Re: Soundbar for TV vs. bluetooth receiver connected to old stereo?

Post by dziuniek » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 am

Just bought a Harman Kardon Sb26 Sound Bar (w/ARC) which comes with a wireless subwoofer. It's awesome!

Post Reply