Airline overhead bins...do you think they're assigned?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
student

Re: Airline overhead bins...do you think they're assigned?

Post by student » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:51 pm
The woman would hate me. I put my luggage in the first available space. If that means it’s over row 10 and I’m in row 20 oh well.

The goal is to have your luggage in front of you, not behind you.
I would like you either. To me, one should first use the bin near your seat. If they are all taken, the spread out or ask the flight attendants to find you space. With the updated big overhead bins, my experience is they can accommodate one carry-on from every passenger.

Some useful info. https://viewfromthewing.com/who-does-th ... to-anyway/
Last edited by student on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm

lack of consideration and kindness is the cause of conflict. think yourself in other's situation will get the answer straight.

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm

OP, it seems everyone agrees with you so apparently you were right. I don't know anything about the protocol regarding airline seats and storage bins because it has been years since I flew on a commercial airplane. Having said that, I can understand why the lady thought the bin was hers to use if it had the same number as the seat. I would have thought the same thing.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
lack of consideration and kindness is the cause of conflict. think yourself in other's situation will get the answer straight.
I was considerate when I bit my tongue as she bad mouthed me within earshot of my two kids. And that was after I moved one suitcase when, according to everyone that responded here, I didn't have to.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:33 pm

Abe wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm
Having said that, I can understand why the lady thought the bin was hers to use if it had the same number as the seat. I would have thought the same thing.
I think the way you worded that is a bit misleading. The bin did not have "the same number as the seat," rather the seat number was affixed to the bin directly above the seat so that people could identify their seats. I do not regard those numbers as bin numbers.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:35 pm

investingdad wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
I was considerate when I bit my tongue as she bad mouthed me within earshot of my two kids. And that was after I moved one suitcase when, according to everyone that responded here, I didn't have to.
I am not making judgement here. Even if the 99% of the responses said you don't have to. Just think next time when you are in the same situation.

Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:45 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:35 pm
investingdad wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
I am not making judgement here. Even if the 99% of the responses said you don't have to. Just think next time when you are in the same situation.

The woman clearly did not know what she was talking about. The OP was more than accommodating under the circumstances.

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:48 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:07 pm
Gort wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:55 pm
To be fair, if you use overhead bin above other passenger's seat. They have the right use it if their ask. in your situation, you would look other available bin or ask flight attendant for check in your bag. Think about youself if you in other situations, particular their have young kids.
All rights are left behind after passing through security.
It is probably a good thing that guns and knives would have been seized when passengers were being screened.

These kind of "altercations" can sometimes "escalate" to ridiculous levels. People have been murdered over lesser altercations.
Yes, I agree. When I said all rights are left behind...I meant that to be a positive statement meaning increasing security for all involved. Having no rights to a particular bin is part of the process we accept as the flying public.

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:56 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:33 pm
Abe wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm
Having said that, I can understand why the lady thought the bin was hers to use if it had the same number as the seat. I would have thought the same thing.
I think the way you worded that is a bit misleading. The bin did not have "the same number as the seat," rather the seat number was affixed to the bin directly above the seat so that people could identify their seats. I do not regard those numbers as bin numbers.
investingdad wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:15 pm
Woman and her kid get to the 2 outside seats across the aisle from me. Sees the bin directly over her is full. Asks whose luggage, I respond it's ours. She says, nope...that bin is hers because it has the seat numbers on it.
Again I'm not familiar with the protocol, but it sounds to me like the the bin had the same number on it as the seat. If so, I could understand why the lady thought the bin was hers to use, especially if she didn't fly a lot. I'm not saying she was right, just that I could understand why she may have thought she was right.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Abe wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:56 pm
Again I'm not familiar with the protocol, but it sounds to me like the the bin had the same number on it as the seat.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but I don't think this is quite right. There is only one seat number and it is affixed to the bin immediately above the seat. There is no number affixed to the seat so there are not two numbers to compare, there is only one seat number located in only one place.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Interesting topic.
Never gave it much thought.
I always though the bins above the seats were for those folks.

Been flying lst class for quite awhile. And, before that First on and last off for other reasons. Flight attendants have always been super helpful with my small carry on and camera bag.

If there are comments from others, I don't hear them.
1. I'm hard of hearing.
2. I have earplugs on.
3. I have headphones on.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:16 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:44 pm
First-come first served, but each person should just have one bag in the overheads until everyone has boarded and settled in. And, if there is room, the bags should go in the overhead above your seat(s) or across the aisle, otherwise as close to your seat as practical.
If I read the post correctly the OP had far fewer than 1 overhead bag per person.

There is no reason to put a bag near your seat on an airplane. When in doubt I dump the bag in the first available empty bin. I don't want to be "that person" who tries to push backwards through the boarding crowd if the bins in back turn out to be full.

shorvath

Post by shorvath » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:17 pm

Not assigned, at all. If usage of the bins is restricted (by class or sub-class) that will be posted on the bin itself.

Seat row numbers are posted above the seats, below the bins. The bins themselves are longer than the rows (2.5 or so rows often) so there isn't even a 1-1 correspondence between bins and seat rows.
Drunken Roboticist

Sweet Betsy

Post by Sweet Betsy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 pm

I flew this weekend as well and overheard someone tell another passenger that they thought the bins over their seats were expressly for them. The flight attendant was nearby and corrected the assumption. This is the first I've ever heard anyone make such a comment.

Maybe there is an urban legend going around lately....

Ricchan

Post by Ricchan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:24 pm

If I'm traveling with a backpack or laptop bag, it's usually small enough to put under the seat in front of me. Anything larger usually gets checked. The few times I've had to use the overhead bin, I've always used the bin on the other side of the aisle so I can see if/when other people are accessing the same bin. I usually start searching for an empty spot about 3 or so seats before getting to mine.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Ugh.

Flying sucks these days. Some of the answers here are part of the reason why.
Don't be a lemming.

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:26 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:02 pm
Abe wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:56 pm
Again I'm not familiar with the protocol, but it sounds to me like the the bin had the same number on it as the seat.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but I don't think this is quite right. There is only one seat number and it is affixed to the bin immediately above the seat. There is no number affixed to the seat so there are not two numbers to compare, there is only one seat number located in only one place.
Okay, as I said, I don't fly so I don't know. I thought the seat had a number and the bin had a number and that they were the same number. If that was the case then I could understand why the lady thought the bin was hers, but apparently that was not the case. :happy

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:33 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm
You aren't wrong. It would be far better if airlines charged for carry on rather than checked luggage, but this is the system we're stuck with.
I just booked with Frontier, and if you don't bundle options, you can buy either carry-on or checked luggage, and carry-on is more expensive.

According to Clayton Christianson, disruption cones from the cheapest end of an industry, so maybe Frontier and Southwest will encourage others airlines to provide incentives to check luggage.

Maybe the big airlines believe that you should be your own Porter, and don't want to pay baggage handlers, but instead just end up with passengers who hate to fly.

I have an upcoming trip that will take me 9 hours by airplane, 3 hours of driving total on outbound and destination plus a 2 hour layover, plus time at security. I almost made the trip by car, since I could drive it in 12 hours.

yohac

Post by yohac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Like in Grease, the rules are, there ain't no rules. Or maybe it's more like the Hunger Games. In any case, grabbing the first available space is not a considerate thing to do. It holds up deplaning (yes, you're lightening quick, but the dozen other people who did the same thing are slow as hell.)

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 pm

I can sympathize with the person complaining. I've ran into similar situations where someone took all the space, often with baggage or multiple bags that exceeded what a carry-on is supposed to be. Obviously it's allowed, and the bins aren't assigned (sometimes they're already filled with emergency/first aid/other equipment).. but it is frustrating when someone else takes what should be the spot for that seats bag.
But... technically, they are not assigned, some of the the "Basic Economy" fares now being booked don't even come with a carry on bag, and your "personal item" is supposed to go under the seat. I just flew on one of these discount tickets with United and they made a big deal of out of checking that my personal item wasn't over the size limit and curtly telling me "your bag goes under the seat".
:? Whatever.
I've enjoyed no longer getting into that curfuffle by only carrying on a bag that easily fits under the seat, and not even worrying about getting on the plane until the line is gone and they're just about to close the door. If there's space above for my bag, fine, if not it fits just fine under the seat.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:49 pm

First come first served*, as I understand by the system...and reinforced by some airlines with status and perks granting priority boarding.

*I believe common courtesy is that only the larger bag is to be placed overhead, and use the bin closest to seat as possible. It is rather annoying to come to several rows of empty seats but full overhead bins. But then again, there is a capacity limit that can't handle all carry-on if everyone took their 1 roller case (overhead) + 1 personal item (under seat).

OneBagTravel with bag that fits under seat is where it's it...if you can swing it. SOO much less anxiety while boarding, even though we fly Southwest and bins are generally more available.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm

Being tall, I never put my bag under the seat because then I won't fit. Not sorry.

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Bobby206 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:07 pm
Having said that I do get tired of people that carry on a ton of bags. Just check them. It's really so much easier.
I hate checking bags. I've spent hours on the phone and had extra trips to the airport to try and get wayward luggage back. Not to mention my home airport is terrible when it comes to timely luggage delivery. But then I can do weeks out of an internationally sized carryon and a backpack

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:10 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
It would be far better if airlines charged for carry on rather than checked luggage, but this is the system we're stuck with.
I agree. I wonder why airlines don't do this? There must be some reason, but I can't think of it.
Don't be a lemming.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm

student wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
The woman would hate me. I put my luggage in the first available space. If that means it’s over row 10 and I’m in row 20 oh well.

I would like you either. To me, one should first use the bin near your seat. If they are all taken, the spread out or ask the flight attendants to find you space. With the updated big overhead bins, my experience is they can accommodate one carry-on from every passenger.

I've been in first class when an economy class passenger plucked their suitcase into my bin before I got to the bin. I pointed it out to the flight attendant who just shrugged. So, after paying extra, I had to put my bag in economy. To be fair, the flight attendant brought me my bag so I didn't have to wade back against the tide when I disembarked, so that was helpful. If everyone puts their bag ahead of them, what happens to the bags of people in the first rows of the economy cabin, BTW?

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 pm

JediMisty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm
student wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

I've been in first class when an economy class passenger plucked their suitcase into my bin before I got to the bin. I pointed it out to the flight attendant who just shrugged. So, after paying extra, I had to put my bag in economy. To be fair, the flight attendant brought me my bag so I didn't have to wade back against the tide when I disembarked, so that was helpful. If everyone puts their bag ahead of them, what happens to the bags of people in the first rows of the economy cabin, BTW?
I would have plucked it right out...

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:47 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:10 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
It would be far better if airlines charged for carry on rather than checked luggage, but this is the system we're stuck with.
I agree. I wonder why airlines don't do this? There must be some reason, but I can't think of it.
Because the available space for luggage in the passenger compartment is much less than the available space for luggage in the cargo hold. You are limited to one small-ish suitcase and one carry on bag in the passenger compartment, whereas you can check several large bags per person, and if those large bags are overweight (typically 50 pounds or more) they charge more. So the revenue for charging for checked bags is greater than the revenue for charging for fewer and smaller carry on bags. Also it would be hard to police people bringing smaller sized personal bags like a purse? A backpack? That would be problematic.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm

In respect to checking in luggage, I always carried my small bag into the cabin for flights of less than a week. The 'Always Carry-on' came after I checked in my bag for a trip to Harbin, China, and the Airline did not transfer my bag from the beginning small plane to the long-distant one in New York. There in Harbin I had to buy local clothing freezing due to the ice cold winds from the Gobi Desert on my way to local stores.

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm

yohac wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:33 pm
In any case, grabbing the first available space is not a considerate thing to do. It holds up deplaning (yes, you're lightening quick, but the dozen other people who did the same thing are slow as hell.)
EXACTLY!!! The people in the front would have no bin space and would be forced to put their carryon towards the back and wait until all those rows deplane in order to access their carryon.

Very inconsiderate.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Planner01 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm
My other pet peeve is when people sitting all the way in the back put the luggage towards the front so that they don’t have to drag them around the aisle of the plane. Again, not leaving room for the people that are actually sitting in that area.
I’m guilty of this. I am not persuaded that I should change. It makes boarding go so much faster. Debarkation, too.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:07 pm

likegarden wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm
In respect to checking in luggage, I always carried my small bag into the cabin for flights of less than a week. The 'Always Carry-on' came after I checked in my bag for a trip to Harbin, China, and the Airline did not transfer my bag from the beginning small plane to the long-distant one in New York. There in Harbin I had to buy local clothing freezing due to the ice cold winds from the Gobi Desert on my way to local stores.
Yes, there are good reasons some experienced travelers carry-on and don't check, or at least don't check some key items. Our carry-ons are properly sized and will fit in the overhead bins. Plus small backpack that fits under the seat.

I would not like the person that throws their bag in the first bin they come to either :oops: As others have noted, it causes problems. And I personally like to have my luggage where I can see it.

And to the OP's question, there is no bin reservation in economy that I've ever seen. You try to board as early as possible so that you can find a spot near you. If you lose (and I have lost ...) you do the best you can.

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:10 pm

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:04 pm
Planner01 wrote:
My other pet peeve is when people sitting all the way in the back put the luggage towards the front so that they don’t have to drag them around the aisle of the plane. Again, not leaving room for the people that are actually sitting in that area.
I’m guilty of this. I am not persuaded that I should change. It makes boarding go so much faster. Debarkation, too.
No it does not make it faster because the people in front have to get through the people in the back trying to get off too, in order to retrieve their stuff. All because they had no space by their seat area since it was taken by someone from the back.
Be considerate of others around you.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Jags4186 wrote:

You right -- this is not a practice that will endear you. Frankly I think it's selfish and you are inconveniencing the people whose seats are nearer to the bins.

WoodSpinner

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:16 pm
Jags4186 wrote:

You right -- this is not a practice that will endear you. Frankly I think it's selfish and you are inconveniencing the people whose seats are nearer to the bins.

WoodSpinner
The issue is not entirely with having luggage in front you, it's with having space vs. not having space. If you are seated in the back and take your bag with you, and find out there are no spaces, you will end up pushing and shoving people to get back toward the front in time to find an available space. Even if you only have to retreat 5 rows people will become angry very quickly. If you do not have priority, generally the airlines fill the rear of the aircraft first, so those bins fill up first. You can't tell while you're on your way to the back - in marginal cases - whether you will have room or not.
Last edited by tibbitts on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:28 pm

Planner01 wrote:
I fly quite a bit for work and this is one of my pet peeves. I am usually on group 5 and towards the front of the coach seats. What happens is that the people that sit on those seats are usually groups 3 and 4 and take all of the overhead space above them. It’s usually men who refuse to put any of the items under the seat in front of them. So this leaves me with having to find space towards the back of the plane and then walk back to my seat. And then to off board I have to wait until the people in the rows behind me get off in order for me to retrieve my carryon.

I love calling people out for placing jackets and light bags in the overhead and not under their seat. No humanity shown by them not moving it gets no humanity from me stuffing my bag right on top of it.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
I would think it costs them more to handle checked luggage. Agents checking it in, baggage handlers, etc.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:42 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 pm
...If you do not have priority, generally the airlines fill the rear of the aircraft first, so those bins fill up first...
Despite the sense that would make from a people loading perspective, that's not the experience I've had. The back of the plane always seems to be the last boarding group #.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:42 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 pm
WoodSpinner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:16 pm
Jags4186 wrote:

WoodSpinner
The issue is not entrely with having luggage in front you, it's with having space vs. not having space. If you are seated in the back and take your bag with you, and find out there are no spaces, you will end up pushing and shoving people to get back toward the front in time to find an available space. Even if you only have to retreat 5 rows people will become angry very quickly. If you do not have priority, generally the airlines fill the rear of the aircraft first, so those bins fill up first. You can't tell while you're on your way to the back - in marginal cases - whether you will have room or not.
Here’s the real issue with airline travel. When a few people don’t obey the rules of common decency order breaks down. When order breaks down the folks who try to “do the right thing” end up being screwed. Having been on the wrong end of that scenario I’ve decided that it is in my best interest to fend for myself and let everyone else deal with it. I know it’s an awful way to be, but the reality is I’d rather be the person complained about than the person doing the complaining.

The only rule of the air is to obey cabin crews’ commands. I usually decline any and all requests unless by acquiescing to a request I end up in a better situation than I currently am in.

Example: Change seat so family can sit together? No—unless I’m moving to economy plus aisle or window, 1st class, or away from a smelly or very fat person.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:42 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
You aren't wrong. It would be far better if airlines charged for carry on rather than checked luggage, but this is the system we're stuck with.
Yes! This! I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Charging folks for carry on luggage would not only instantly discourage the practice (people are cheap!), it would significantly speed up the boarding process. Instead, they charge people for checked baggage, which is inconvenient, anyways, and they just force most people (again, people are cheap!) to bring it on the plane. One great side benefit: much faster security screening process.

Airline CEOs, are you listening?

In any case, no the bins are NOT assigned and you were not wrong. Congrats to you, though, as you were much more diplomatic and yielding about the situation than I would have been? Your incident is a great example on how this current business model does not work well.

Cosmo

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Interesting. I fly internationally once or twice a year. Always assumed bins above the seats were for the passengers under them. I see now that is not the case.
Trade the news and you will lose.

student

Post by student » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Hopefully this will help with space.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... ey-caused/

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:31 pm

In my experience, the Flight Attendants announcements always mention SHARED overhead bins.

Play nice.

Ralph

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:43 pm

Planner01 wrote:
This drives me nuts. Almost as much as gate lice.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/8883786 ... ing-queue/

Boston Barry

Post by Boston Barry » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:46 pm

Airlines SELL priority boarding to people worried about the overhead bins filling up. It says expressly that on airlines’ websites.

An example:

https://upgradedpoints.com/united-airli ... y-Boarding

“ United says that this is a good opportunity for passengers to make sure there will be a place for their carry-on bag, since space often runs out by the time they get to Group 4 and 5.”

Full stop. Nobody has any assigned overhead bin space. The airlines purposely stress people out and make space tight in order to sell a better boarding order and make more profit.

The OP is correct. He did a good deed by moving one of his bags. The lady badmouthing him was wrong.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 am

ralph124cf wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:31 pm
In my experience, the Flight Attendants announcements always mention SHARED overhead bins.

Play nice.

Ralph
Agree. Let's all play nice.

Learn to live together. Do more with less.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 am

increment wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:46 pm
if these folks were boarding in the last group (Group 9), that means they are Basic Economy, and are not entitled to the use of the overhead bins at all.
On American, basic economy passengers are allowed to use the overhead bins.
Yes, I actually read this morning that this was recently changed, and was coming back here to correct my post. You beat me to it. :D

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:15 am

In economy, no, not assigned. However, it's generally considered good etiquette to only use those overhead bins in the vicinity of where you're sitting. Once things are just about full, then all bets are off, of course. Also good etiquette is to actually do as asked - put only one thing in the overhead and the rest under the seat in front of you, unless you're on a bulkhead.
Last edited by dcabler on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:25 am

Im one of the few...but I wish they would completely eliminate overhead bins. If your bag doesnt fit under the seat in front of you, it has to be checked...or even gate checked (which is free.)

Such a waste of time with people stuffing everything they can in the overhead space. First of all, people pack way too much. My parents being one of them, but they're smart enough that they pay to check their bags. Also, if you're worried about prices and do not want to pay to check a bag, you may want to reevaluate your spending habits. If you're flying and you cannot afford to check a bag, you messed up somewhere in life.

To answer OP's question, overhead is not assigned. Its sort of a courtesy to only use overhead space above you, but since everyone is cheap and refuse to pay to have their bags checked, people fight for that space all over the plane. And queue up the "airlines lose luggage, it wastes time on the back end waiting for them to deliver to carousel." blah blah blah #firstworldproblems

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:27 am

mptfan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:47 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
Because the available space for luggage in the passenger compartment is much less than the available space for luggage in the cargo hold. You are limited to one small-ish suitcase and one carry on bag in the passenger compartment, whereas you can check several large bags per person, and if those large bags are overweight (typically 50 pounds or more) they charge more. So the revenue for charging for checked bags is greater than the revenue for charging for fewer and smaller carry on bags. Also it would be hard to police people bringing smaller sized personal bags like a purse? A backpack? That would be problematic.
You seem to be implying that airlines can only charge either for checked bags or for the overhead bin. I'm not.

The overhead bins are a desirable location and a potential source of non-ticket revenue. It's only a matter of time, IMHO.
Don't be a lemming.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 am

This thread is pretty amazing in that it shows the diverse opinions that people have about something as innocuous as overhead bin storage on an airplane. Despite there being zero rules, or published guidelines, we as a people invent rules on our own. Tells you a lot about why we cannot agree on many other things, most much more important.

Been flying nearly 60 years. Guess many miss the announcements "for those people just boarding, if you see an overhead bin space open, take it" that I often hear.

The biggest issue with flying are those that have no clue, and hold up everyone else at security, boarding, and putting their stuff away. Oh, and eating that smelly meal. I really hate to fly anymore.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.