Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
IowaFarmBoy
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:18 pm

The suspense is killing me. Maybe we should start a bogleheads gofundme to pay for the locksmith and then I can get back to work.....

Point
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Point » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:36 pm

It sounds like a lot of fun for $900 and a usable safe. What would you otherwise use the money for? Dinner, a weekend away, a fishing trip....

I'd do it!

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:48 pm

now I know where those missing bitcoins got to:
Man accidentally threw away $127 million in bitcoin and officials won’t allow a search
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/20/man-los ... -look.html
Exclusive: Nearly 4 Million Bitcoins Lost Forever, New Study Says
https://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/
I remember reading about Richard Feynman's safecracking skills (and other hijinks) in his autobiography:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... e+cracking
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Gardener
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Gardener » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:09 pm

One of the best threads ive read on here, perhaps only second to the 'whats making that sound in my house' thread.

Miriam2
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:17 pm

dm200 wrote: Certainly no experience or expertise here - but it sure seems to me that this safe could be opened without damaging it for your future use.
But what would OP put in his huuuuge concrete-embedded bomb-resistant heavy-duty steel safe??
His statements from Vanguard for his index funds?

Miriam2
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:23 pm

Gardener wrote: One of the best threads ive read on here, perhaps only second to the 'whats making that sound in my house' thread.
Hmmm - it will be hard to beat Nisiprius and the Hindenburg Omen thread - Nisi saved us all from total extinction :happy

DesertDiva
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: In the desert

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by DesertDiva » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:40 pm

IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:18 pm
The suspense is killing me. Maybe we should start a bogleheads gofundme to pay for the locksmith and then I can get back to work.....
I would contribute 8-)

cbeck
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by cbeck » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:51 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:08 pm
In Richard Feynman's autobiography (Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman), he said he got a reputation at Los Alamos of being able to crack safes; in truth, he learned that the manufacturer had set the default combinations to 55-55-55, and the security teams usually neglected to change the combinations, so all he had to do was use the default and the safes usually opened.

If there is a default combination for your brand/model of safe that you can find, you should try it.
But Feynman cracked the safes by covertly observing the owner opening it without concealing the combination.

anon_investor
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by anon_investor » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:05 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:17 pm
dm200 wrote: Certainly no experience or expertise here - but it sure seems to me that this safe could be opened without damaging it for your future use.
But what would OP put in his huuuuge concrete-embedded bomb-resistant heavy-duty steel safe??
His statements from Vanguard for his index funds?
Obviously another locked safe (an empty one) and leave it for the next buyer!!!

mindgap
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by mindgap » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:15 am

Lets crowdfund opening this thing. Its like the lottery but much much more exciting :)

Im in.

Gardener
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Gardener » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:32 am

The concern about not being able to open it for a burglar is uncompelling to me. OP could just pull up this thread and show it to the burglar to prove he really did not know the code.
rj342 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 pm
Risk is obviously minute, but one poster's concern about a home invasion and being unable to open it seems legit to me. Very unlikely, but if happens, likely very bad outcome.

I vote for opening it. Hopefully non-destructively so you can at least have use of it if no valuables.

One other very low probability scenario -- what if contains a non-trivial amount of illegal drugs or similar? Would you give police a heads up, or check with a lawyer before opening it?

User avatar
celia
Posts: 9835
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by celia » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:56 am

gips wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 pm
We recently purchased a condo, the terms of the sale were it included all contents. My wife was was poking around the guest bedroom and discovered a fairly large, hidden floor safe, set in concrete..
Gips, I just got another idea. The cost you incur to make the safe usable again can be added on to the cost basis of the property. In my opinion, that's a good reason to get this "repair" taken care of. Just be sure you save the receipt with your escrow papers.

dru808
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by dru808 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:03 pm

gwe67 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:41 pm
Can you drill in and insert a camera?
This, Or if you can get it out, you can likely cut through the side with a grinder. Don’t waste time trying to get the door open if you diy.

kevinf
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by kevinf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:10 pm

Gardener wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:32 am
The concern about not being able to open it for a burglar is uncompelling to me. OP could just pull up this thread and show it to the burglar to prove he really did not know the code.
rj342 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 pm
Risk is obviously minute, but one poster's concern about a home invasion and being unable to open it seems legit to me. Very unlikely, but if happens, likely very bad outcome.

I vote for opening it. Hopefully non-destructively so you can at least have use of it if no valuables.

One other very low probability scenario -- what if contains a non-trivial amount of illegal drugs or similar? Would you give police a heads up, or check with a lawyer before opening it?
Yes, hardened, violent criminals are usually so reasonable...

TallBoy29er
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:14 pm

I'm in for $5 as well. Need no cut of the proceeds. :mrgreen:

User avatar
gwe67
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by gwe67 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Is this for real? Post a picture.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

Silverado
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Silverado » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:18 pm

gwe67 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:16 pm
Is this for real? Post a picture.
Uh, read the thread, there’s a pic.

User avatar
gwe67
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by gwe67 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Silverado wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:18 pm
gwe67 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:16 pm
Is this for real? Post a picture.
Uh, read the thread, there’s a pic.
Ah, I see it now. I was looking for a photo, not a link to a photo.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

denovo
Posts: 4418
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by denovo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:33 pm

The suspense is killing me.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Silverado
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Silverado » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:34 pm

gwe67 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:25 pm
Silverado wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:18 pm
gwe67 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:16 pm
Is this for real? Post a picture.
Uh, read the thread, there’s a pic.
Ah, I see it now. I was looking for a photo, not a link to a photo.
No worries, I was trying to not be too sharp in my comment, but likely seemed snarky.

Fun thread, I hate the threat of a long delay.

khh
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by khh » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Release the crackin'!

krb
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by krb » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:58 pm

khh wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:36 pm
Release the crackin'!
Nice!

Smoke
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: Saturn

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Smoke » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:31 pm

suemarkp wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:12 am


I like the idea of drilling and looking, but the front plates are usually very hard steel. May take a couple of carbide drills to get through it.
I totally agree, patience with a few drill bits and then scope it.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

User avatar
StevieG72
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:09 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:49 pm
I would open it myself. It is not difficult without a time constraint.
+1

Watch a few Youtube videos, pick up some cheap tools at Harbor Freight and give it a go!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2137
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 am

Silverado wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:18 pm
gwe67 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:16 pm
Is this for real? Post a picture.
Uh, read the thread, there’s a pic.
No there's not. Please point to the post at least.

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Cubicle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:49 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 am

No there's not. Please point to the post at least.
gips wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm
thanks for all the ideas! Since there's so much interest here's a photo of the safe, set in concrete:
https://postimg.cc/QK81zbKC

it's hard to tell from the photo, but the dimensions are l:12 inches, w:13 inches d: 18 inches (just guessing because of the cement). the dial is branded sargent & greenleaf

here's the retailer site:
https://www.haymansafe.com/in-floor-safes.html

I'm a retired computer scientist, so I have thought of building my own robot. To my eye, it doesn't seem like something I'd want to drill.

still mulling over next steps. Our realtor asked if there was a bad smell coming out of the safe :)

OldAtHeart
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by OldAtHeart » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:52 am

gips wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:44 pm
Here’s the min cost:
$150 travel to install the robot
$300 to use the robot
$150 to pick up robot
Total: $600

Max cost:
$150 travel to install the robot
$300 to use the robot
$150 to Pick up robot
$300 to crack safe
Total: $900
You said the robot has a 70% chance of success. So the
expected cost is 0.7*600 + 0.3*900 = $690.

Do you have the option of just paying $750 for them to drive out once and crack the safe and skip the robot? If so it might be an interesting option although the odds are still in favor of trying the robot.

The other benefit of the robot would be that the safe doesn’t get destroyed and could be reused. With that in mind I would pick the robot option.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 7777
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by JoMoney » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 am
Silverado wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:18 pm
gwe67 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:16 pm
Is this for real? Post a picture.
Uh, read the thread, there’s a pic.
No there's not. Please point to the post at least.
Yes there is. I'll give you a little help, you have to actually "READ" the thread not just scan for the picture or you won't find it... here's another tip that's useful in other areas of the forum - look at the OP's post history.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

zxllxz
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by zxllxz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 am


User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 39439
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by nisiprius » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 am

zxllxz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 am
[1001] The ITL Robotic Safe Cracker! (ITL-2000) - YouTube

[link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Thanks so much. That's very interesting to watch. It obviously (?) isn't dialing all three digits every time, so it must use something about the way the internal disks catch on each other to allow it to try certain combinations of the last couple of digits over and over again without entering the first ones.

I can't quite see what interval it is trying between numbers but seems to be more than one. That is, it is relying on there being some slop or tolerance for not being precisely on the nominal numbers in the combination.

Does anyone else think that the noises it makes sound like "open the vegetables, open the vegetables, open the vegetables?"
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

livesoft
Posts: 68579
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by livesoft » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:58 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 am
I can't quite see what interval it is trying between numbers but seems to be more than one. That is, it is relying on there being some slop or tolerance for not being precisely on the nominal numbers in the combination.
youtube settings allow one to play the video at 0.25 speed, so one can see the interval used (see the digital display). I suspect that for this video, he set the device to use an interval larger than one only for demonstration purposes. It might be hard to know what tolerance or slop was acceptable.

And not explained is the "clunk" and why he moved the dial manually at the end to turn the lever. Does the device stop when it detects the "clunk"? I had a little safe when I was kid and one had to try the handle to know the combination was correct.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 7777
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by JoMoney » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:15 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:58 am
...And not explained is the "clunk" and why he moved the dial CCW to turn the lever...
Some models of S&G locks require spinning the dial right back to zero before attempting to open, it's on that final turning right that the locks mechanism actually "clunks" and catches the mechanism to open the lock... its more secure than the locks that might "clunk" or something similar while spinning left to find the last number.
In the video the robot spins it part of the way and gets the "clunk" but he manually turns it all the way back to zero (actually a little past).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

User avatar
tuningfork
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by tuningfork » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:42 pm

zxllxz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 am
[1001] The ITL Robotic Safe Cracker! (ITL-2000) - YouTube

[link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Slightly disappointed. I was hoping to see Marvin, the robot from HHGTTG, crack the lock, all the while complaining about being commanded to do such a lowly task. ;-)

User avatar
Nestegg_User
Posts: 1350
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Nestegg_User » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:25 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 am
zxllxz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 am
[1001] The ITL Robotic Safe Cracker! (ITL-2000) - YouTube

[link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Thanks so much. That's very interesting to watch. It obviously (?) isn't dialing all three digits every time, so it must use something about the way the internal disks catch on each other to allow it to try certain combinations of the last couple of digits over and over again without entering the first ones.

I can't quite see what interval it is trying between numbers but seems to be more than one. That is, it is relying on there being some slop or tolerance for not being precisely on the nominal numbers in the combination.

Does anyone else think that the noises it makes sound like "open the vegetables, open the vegetables, open the vegetables?"
actually I think it was "calling all vegetables" ( a subtle insinuation about the owner?)

...and if it was Marvin from Hitchhikers all we would hear is a lot of droning

Quirkz
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Quirkz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 pm

MrBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:51 pm
Maybe a bunch of bogleheads will kick in just to find out what's in the safe. I know I'd send $5 :P
I won't send money, but if I'm in the area I'd gladly donate 10 minutes of my time to try 25 different combinations. Recruit enough of us, and you'll get it cracked ... eventually.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2137
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:43 pm

Cubicle wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:49 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 am

No there's not. Please point to the post at least.
gips wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm
thanks for all the ideas! Since there's so much interest here's a photo of the safe, set in concrete:
https://postimg.cc/QK81zbKC

it's hard to tell from the photo, but the dimensions are l:12 inches, w:13 inches d: 18 inches (just guessing because of the cement). the dial is branded sargent & greenleaf

here's the retailer site:
https://www.haymansafe.com/in-floor-safes.html

I'm a retired computer scientist, so I have thought of building my own robot. To my eye, it doesn't seem like something I'd want to drill.

still mulling over next steps. Our realtor asked if there was a bad smell coming out of the safe :)
Thanks! And thanks for not being snotty :wink:

Pic for everyone to see (it's not that hard to post)
Image

Saving$
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Saving$ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:51 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:43 pm
Cubicle wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:49 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 am

No there's not. Please point to the post at least.
gips wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm
thanks for all the ideas! Since there's so much interest here's a photo of the safe, set in concrete:
https://postimg.cc/QK81zbKC

it's hard to tell from the photo, but the dimensions are l:12 inches, w:13 inches d: 18 inches (just guessing because of the cement). the dial is branded sargent & greenleaf

here's the retailer site:
https://www.haymansafe.com/in-floor-safes.html

I'm a retired computer scientist, so I have thought of building my own robot. To my eye, it doesn't seem like something I'd want to drill.

still mulling over next steps. Our realtor asked if there was a bad smell coming out of the safe :)
Thanks! And thanks for not being snotty :wink:

Pic for everyone to see (it's not that hard to post)
Image
The product data indicates that the body of the safe below the concrete:
a. May be poly (plastic)
b. May have a larger footprint than the safe door, meaning the poly body of the safe is about 3-4" below the surface of the concrete.
If you own a hammerdrill, I would buy a few cheap 1/2" masonry / concrete bits and try to drill into the side of the safe, and get a $15 Amazon camera and fish that into the safe. Depending on what you see you can decide if you want to pay to have the safe cracked.

kacang
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am
Location: CA

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by kacang » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 pm

Does anyone know how much it costs to install a floor safe such as this? If more than the cost of opening & preserving it, you could think of it as getting a nice floor safe for free.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2137
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:22 am

kacang wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 pm
Does anyone know how much it costs to install a floor safe such as this? If more than the cost of opening & preserving it, you could think of it as getting a nice floor safe for free.
Essentially free if done when the slab is poured. Can't be more than a couple hundred bucks even if done later. It's just a hole in the floor.

likegarden
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by likegarden » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:37 am

I did not read all the postings. But when this is only a nuisance to you then 1. drill and insert camera to know if something worth is in it. Then 2. buy a bag of concrete at HD, mix it and fill on top of the door, smooth surface and you are done for less than $100. A hammer drill does not cost much.

Ziko
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Ziko » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:21 pm

Take your proof of ownership to a notary republic. prove you own the house/condo and all contents. send a copy to the safe company with the s/n of the safe and they will verify the information and send you the combination.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22283
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:09 pm

I don't think we have heard from any experienced experts in cracking a safe - without damaging it.

Perhaps convicted felons do not tend to be Bogleheads? Neither, perhaps, are felons who have not yet been caught?

wfrobinette
Posts: 753
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by wfrobinette » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Mr.BB wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:48 pm
sergeant wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:45 pm
I recently watched an HGTV show where a couple bought a bank and converted it to their home. They left the safety deposit boxes which were locked when they bought the bank. They open a dozen every year and have discovered all kinds of treasures.

I vote on having it opened.

I remember wasting several hours watching Geraldo open "Al Capone's" safe.
LOL I remember watching that too. I forgot what he said he would do if they found nothing.
Me too. I was 14 or 15 at the time.

doss
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by doss » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:46 pm

Ziko wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Take your proof of ownership to a notary republic. prove you own the house/condo and all contents. send a copy to the safe company with the s/n of the safe and they will verify the information and send you the combination.
I bought a house that had a locked tuff shed in the back yard. No idea where key was. I went to local vendor and had to show contract. He gave me new key. Alas, shed just contained a nice car bike rack.

wilshuer
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by wilshuer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 am

This thread has intrigued me from the start, waiting to see what’s inside.

Taking the picture and looking up the potential model, I noticed some of their floor safes that have the same looking door indicate a false floor. Perhaps a word of caution if you only stick a camera inside.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 am

I would probably blow the money to have it opened out of curiosity. On the one hand, it is unlikely anyone would move and not take the contents with them. On the other hand, if someone died and no one in the family had the combination or even knew about the safe.....

wilked
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by wilked » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 am
I would probably blow the money to have it opened out of curiosity. On the one hand, it is unlikely anyone would move and not take the contents with them. On the other hand, if someone died and no one in the family had the combination or even knew about the safe.....
Should only cost < $100 (half for the drill bits and half for the boroscope) to figure out if the safe needs to be opened. I wouldn't spend any serious money until that point

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:45 am

Gardener wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:09 pm
One of the best threads ive read on here, perhaps only second to the 'whats making that sound in my house' thread.
They’re neck and neck...
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 am

gonna be a long winter if we have to wait until Spring for an update!!! If it were my place, I’d try to have this non destructively opened, especially if I’m renting the place over the winter. Might be nice to be able to safely stash a few things there.

Or perhaps you could try drilling in through the concrete to see if the safe really is larger than the door and has a plastic body, as someone suggested, do the boroscope thing, and have the concrete repaired if you eventually want to have the safe in a useful condition again?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

ElJefeDelQueso
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:54 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by ElJefeDelQueso » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:12 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:43 pm
Cubicle wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:49 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 am

No there's not. Please point to the post at least.
gips wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm
thanks for all the ideas! Since there's so much interest here's a photo of the safe, set in concrete:
https://postimg.cc/QK81zbKC

it's hard to tell from the photo, but the dimensions are l:12 inches, w:13 inches d: 18 inches (just guessing because of the cement). the dial is branded sargent & greenleaf

here's the retailer site:
https://www.haymansafe.com/in-floor-safes.html

I'm a retired computer scientist, so I have thought of building my own robot. To my eye, it doesn't seem like something I'd want to drill.

still mulling over next steps. Our realtor asked if there was a bad smell coming out of the safe :)
Thanks! And thanks for not being snotty :wink:

Pic for everyone to see (it's not that hard to post)
Image
https://www.haymansafe.com/contact.html

Post Reply