Christmas Vacation Idea with 2 yo Toddler?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
smalliebigs

Christmas Vacation Idea with 2 yo Toddler?

Post by smalliebigs » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi all, I need some ideas on where to go for vacation during a 2 week Christmas break. Can you guys help me, please?

We are a young family, 2 yo toddler, and by December, wife will be 4 months is pregnant with the 2nd. We are based in metropolitan Detroit, MI. We'd like to go somewhere that's a maximum of 9 hour drive from home (no planes). The duration is a max of 2 weeks, but something around 10 days should be more than sufficient.

We've already been to Toronto and Chicago plenty. We love them, but (mostly my wife) want to try something new. Wife would like to head in a generally southerly direction to get out of the cold, but east/west-ish is OK too.

Preferably, the city has things that the kid will be interested in.

Any suggestions? Thank you all very much!

grilli

Re: Christmas Vacation Idea with 2 yo Toddler?

Post by grilli » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Boston would be a good destination (though cold), but you would probably have to count on up to 12 hours drive.

Pittsburgh is within range but 2 weeks is probably too long.

Nashville? Don't know it myself, but it would be warmer, and it is a tourist destination.

Actually, Chicago and Toronto are the obvious choices!

magicj

Post by magicj » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:19 am

We are currently on our first road trip with the kids (both under 2) making a few stops from the south to northeast. I’ll save you the extreme details of traveling with 2 kids being more difficult than 1...It’s good you are doing it now before #2 comes.
Nashville was a good suggestion and you will want to add Asheville NC on there. Spent a couple days there but could have easily spent more time. The scenery is great and a lot of random activities to do.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:25 am

This is on the long end of your 9 hr max, but Washington D,C. would work. Lots of museums and a zoo, good for you and the kid as long as you don't mind a bit of walking. On the way back, hit Baltimore that has a very nice Aquarium. Can also stop at Philly or Pittsburgh and even Chicago for a few days to visit those cities. With ten days to two weeks, IMHO, can hit a bunch of different stops. I'd bite the bullet and take the long drive to D.C. first, then work my way back.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:31 am

smalliebigs wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:45 pm
....2 yo toddler....
If you have not done it recently I would suggest that you do an overnight hotel stay with your 2 year old as a test to see how that goes.

It was a long time ago but when my son was that age we found staying in hotels difficult since we would all be in the same room and when we tried to put him down to sleep at 7:00 PM it would be hard to not disturb him.

I would put a high priority on going somewhere that you can get a condo where the toddler can sleep in a different room.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:41 am

Watty wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:31 am
smalliebigs wrote:
....2 yo toddler....
If you have not done it recently I would suggest that you do an overnight hotel stay with your 2 year old as a test to see how that goes.

It was a long time ago but when my son was that age we found staying in hotels difficult since we would all be in the same room and when we tried to put him down to sleep at 7:00 PM it would be hard to not disturb him.

I would put a high priority on going somewhere that you can get a condo where the toddler can sleep in a different room.
That's always a good question on how young ones travel. They are all different. Ours started traveling when they turned nine months or so, and we all slept fine in the same room, although not every night was perfect, as life isn't anyway. The OP's child is two, so no infant issues, but naps (hopefully in a stroller) are most likely still part of the deal. Sometimes it's far more difficult traveling with teens than little ones, as they tend to throw their opinions around a lot more. :oops: At two, a vacation should hopefully provide some eye candy for the little one while still getting in a good vacation in for the parents.

RM

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:17 am

This is what grandparents are for.

Traveling to sites that interest two year olds...why? For that, go one mile to closest McDonalds with an indoor playground.

Hopefully you can engage grandparents to watch the kid. Then take a real vacation.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:41 am

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:17 am

This is what grandparents are for.
Then take a real vacation.
+1

DW and I are right now taking care of the Grand-Cats and Grand-Dog for 2 weeks!

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:08 am

I don't have a destination to recommend to you. However, I am on my third 2 year old toddler. I can honestly say that their opinion on where to go doesn't count. A $2 shiny yellow ball will keep my 2 year old occupied. Go where Mommy and Daddy wants to go.

We're from New England and we drove 8.5 hours to DC last Thanksgiving for vacation. Our goal was to head south for warmer destinations driving only. DC was bitterly cold. I don't know what it would be at Christmas but it was only 10 degrees warmer than home. It's great and all but when you're in unfamiliar places trying to walk to a museum with children, it's quite a handful.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 am

A nine hour drive from Detroit will still land you in places subject to winter weather. The further southeast you go, the less prepared they are to deal with it and the less competent the drivers are in it. The Appalachian mountain region is beautiful, but brutal during a storm. On the other hand, there could be some pleasant days. Its a gamble.

The DC area will provide easy access by Metro to the urban core and make you less dependent on driving.

If there is snow, if you go south, be prepared for a panic as the first snowflakes fall. There will be a mad rush to get milk and bread and schools will close before the first flakes hit the pavement; while interstates are maintained, local plowing is up the locality and some simply wait for it to melt, but snow is not too likely until the very end of Dec, but again, its a gamble.

Very few people have any memories of being two years old, do something that y'all will enjoy.

https://washington.org/navigating-dc-metro

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 am

Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

Topic Author
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 am

Can we please keep this to just idea suggestions? We've traveled plenty with my son, and have even flown international, so we have a good idea how to handle this. We just need idea suggestions. I've included the fact that there's a two year old to eliminate places like 6 flags or Lexington, where there's mostly just distilleries.

Regarding the suggested places, we did DC last year for Christmas, and encountered the shutdown. Luckily most of the museums were still open. We went for about 5 days, I think. It was nice, but just too windy and cold.

Regarding Toronto or Chicago: we've been to Toronto too many times because we have relatives there. Chicago, I don't mind going again, but my wife is kind of bored of it.

Some Googling around says Indianapolis seems good. Anyone live or been there recently?

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Indianapolis has what I believe is the largest and best childrens museum in the country, great fun for your 2 yr old. But besides that think is worth a stop for no more than a couple days to get on way to somewhere else, Atlanta perhaps with the great aquarium there?

Another suggestion is since you have 2 weeks to work with how about with multiple stops such as Indianapolis,
Nashville, and Atlanta then eventually making it down to Orlando for a few days and Disney if you guys are up for it and haven't yet been there.

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:39 am

In that situation, I'd stay practice and just take a 2-3 day trip to a nice, nearby (within 1-2 hours) hotel with an indoor pool/waterpark. Taking a 2-year-old on a 10 day trip sounds extremely ambitious and might end up being no fun at all for anyone. We started taking our kids to a hotel with indoor waterpark (really just a kid-friendly pool with a couple of age-appropriate slides) at around that age, just for weekend trips in winter to get out of the house. They still ask to go to the same hotel every year.

Then, as others have said, get grandparents to watch the kid while you and spouse take a real trip for a few days.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 pm

smalliebigs wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 am
Can we please keep this to just idea suggestions? We've traveled plenty with my son, and have even flown international, so we have a good idea how to handle this. We just need idea suggestions. I've included the fact that there's a two year old to eliminate places like 6 flags or Lexington, where there's mostly just distilleries.

Regarding the suggested places, we did DC last year for Christmas, and encountered the shutdown. Luckily most of the museums were still open. We went for about 5 days, I think. It was nice, but just too windy and cold.

Regarding Toronto or Chicago: we've been to Toronto too many times because we have relatives there. Chicago, I don't mind going again, but my wife is kind of bored of it.

Some Googling around says Indianapolis seems good. Anyone live or been there recently?
Since you did the D.C. thing, I'd go down to Nashville (stop at Mammoth Cave NP and visit first - the temp inside the cave is basically the same year round - but there are limited tours now). Then cruise over to Gatlinburg (Dollywood is open with Christmas stuff, but will be VERY busy) - can visit the Smokies, Then cross over into NC and visit Asheville - Biltmore House plus other things to do). Biltmore House will be busy as well - I would get tickets in advance (as well as restaurant reservations if you want to eat there).

RM

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Another vote for the TN thing with a stop in Indianapolis on the way. I would see if some of the trip could be flexible timing to adjust for weather. For example, do Indianapolis first vs last depending on when you would have best weather in TN. I love Asheville but I don’t think I would add it to a trip with a 2 year old in December-January.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:40 pm

I think there's more to do in Cincinnati than Indianapolis. Not sure there is a week's worth of stuff to do in either in the wintertime though. COSI & the zoo in Columbus are also really outstanding places. I'd be tempted to do a few days in each personally but you might not want to do that much driving with a little one.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 pm

smalliebigs wrote:
Hi all, I need some ideas on where to go for vacation during a 2 week Christmas break. Can you guys help me, please?
We are a young family, 2 yo toddler, and by December, wife will be 4 months is pregnant with the 2nd. We are based in metropolitan Detroit, MI. We'd like to go somewhere that's a maximum of 9 hour drive from home (no planes). The duration is a max of 2 weeks, but something around 10 days should be more than sufficient.
We've already been to Toronto and Chicago plenty. We love them, but (mostly my wife) want to try something new. Wife would like to head in a generally southerly direction to get out of the cold, but east/west-ish is OK too.
Preferably, the city has things that the kid will be interested in.
Any suggestions? Thank you all very much!
Some toddlers do not travel well, while others do travel very well. When our son was a toddler and well into the child age range - he traveled very, very well - and seemed to really enjoy most travel - whether by car or plane. I might try to determine how your toddler travels before a 9 hour trip each way. You have already mentioned my first recommendation - Toronto. While going north (not south as you prefer), I would consider Montreal. I have been there, as well as Quebec City in the winter - and enjoyed it. BUT - it gets very cold and there can be a lot of snow there. They handle snow and cold quite well. if your toddler is not "toilet trained" - many stops to change diapers - and, probably, stops for bathroom breaks for your wife!

Almost all popular travel/vacation spots are very booked up and more expensive during the Christmas holiday period. It seems to me that you would need to go well over 9 hours south to really be in a much warmer area.

Maybe a "stay cation" in the Detroit area?

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Go somewhere on a train. Kids love spending hours running around the train for some reason.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:35 pm

ohai wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:27 pm
Go somewhere on a train. Kids love spending hours running around the train for some reason.
Yes - if you can find a train from your location..

iasw

Post by iasw » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:51 pm

Agree with others that 9 hours south is still going to be wintery, though perhaps not as snowy/cold as Detroit. Nine hours is what, Kentucky? Do you want to stay in one spot, or move somewhere new every few days?

Indianapolis: Children's Museum, Newfields (art museum), Conner Prairie, Indianapolis Zoo, Indiana State Museum.

Columbus Ohio: COSI Museum, Columbus Zoo

Dayton: National Museum of the USAF

You might do a stop at an indoor waterpark, maybe a Great Wolf Lodge. Personally, we avoid children's museums in the winter because invariably there will be kids coughing their heads off and someone in our family catches the cold.

Are you for sure you don't want to fly anywhere? Take a 2.5 hour flight and get yourself to Florida and thaw out. A short plane ride with a toddler is way easier than 18 hours of driving.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:08 pm

wherever you end up, book your wife a nice day at a spa. She will need it.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:35 pm
ohai wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:27 pm
Yes - if you can find a train from your location..
The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad (GSMR) has trips originating from Bryson City, NC (eastern side of the Smokies). They have train rides through 12/31, except for Christmas including the Polar Express for kids. I have looked into this as we have been to the Smokies at least four-five times, but never pulled the trigger due to time (did other things), cost (a little pricy) and also the reviews were mixed.

Perhaps someone can chime in our their experience on the GSMR.

RM

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Pittsburgh has a lovely children's museum that my then 1-year-old and four-year-old enjoyed. Ice skating at PPG Plaza might be fun as it's outdoors and pretty (push the kid around, get hot chocolate), and there's a great science center and aviary. It's a great city, although I have family in the region so I'm not sure what I'd do for a long vacation that didn't involve cousins, etc., especially in winter. Hershey's chocolate factory is another couple hours east (in Hershey, PA), if you wanted to make Pgh your 'home base' for the trip.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:58 pm

Driving in December in Michigan can always be difficult to plan because you can never predict weather. I don't like driving long distance when it's snowing especially if I have my family with me. If I was in your shoes I would book a cruise leaving from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Flights are cheap between Detroit and Fort Lauderdale.
Most cruise lines have activities for kids but they vary on how young the kids can be, so if that interests you check specifics. It can be a wonderful option for both parents and kids as kids get entertained all day and parents can enjoy themselves.
Last edited by sk2101 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:02 pm

sk2101 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:58 pm
Driving in December in Michigan can always be difficult to plan because you can never predict weather. I don't like driving long distance when it's snowing especially if I have my family with me. If I was in your shoes I would book a cruise leaving from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Flights are cheap between Detroit and Fort Lauderdale.
Yes - BUT I am sure just about any cruise at this time would be expensive.

Check out cruises, though. In addition to Florida based cruises - check out a cold weather departure port - such as Baltimore.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:02 pm
Yes - BUT I am sure just about any cruise at this time would be expensive.

Check out cruises, though. In addition to Florida based cruises - check out a cold weather departure port - such as Baltimore.
Cruises that straddle Christmas and New Years days are way more expensive, but avoiding those days prices are surprisingly normal. - BTW I do not endorse or recommend Carnival, quite the opposite - it's simply the first one that came up when I searched.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 pm

We love kids and grandkids… Have a fair amount of experience with two-year-olds… My best recommendation does not relate to a travel site, but to bring along grandpa and grandma to help out. 😃

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 pm

getthatmarshmallow wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:44 pm
Pittsburgh has a lovely children's museum that my then 1-year-old and four-year-old enjoyed. Ice skating at PPG Plaza might be fun as it's outdoors and pretty (push the kid around, get hot chocolate), and there's a great science center and aviary. It's a great city, although I have family in the region so I'm not sure what I'd do for a long vacation that didn't involve cousins, etc., especially in winter. Hershey's chocolate factory is another couple hours east (in Hershey, PA), if you wanted to make Pgh your 'home base' for the trip.
Have they expanded the Children's Museum yet? Kids are older, have not been there in three years. Also, the Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History has a great dinosaur display, plus the art museum is also part of the deal. Can also take the incline up to Mt. Washington, the Pittsburgh zoo and PPG aquarium is open (is it free on Jan 1st (?). Also Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens (some tickets have to be bought in advance). Also can take boat rides on the Gateway Clipper (they had kids events).

RM

flarf

Post by flarf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Just curious why flying is off the table? Nine hours in a plane from DTW gets you to way better places than nine hours in a car, and somebody else does all the driving.

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:01 pm

your last chance to go somewhere fun before kid #2 arrives. Logistics get harder after that.
Skip a kid trip- your 2yo won't remember it anyway.
Do something fun for YOU.

Try Nashville. 9 hr drive. warm. kid-friendly enough
St. Louis. also fun, but not quite as warm.
all other Midwest cities (Chicago excluded) are not really fun for more than a long weekend.
Maybe reconsider flying. It's easier to do now than with 2 kids- trust me.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:47 pm

smalliebigs wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 am

I'm glad you are taking your son with you. We always take our kids on vacation, and taking two is really not much more difficult than one, it was our decision to have kids and to us, that is part of the package deal.

RM

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:10 am

Random Musings wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 pm
getthatmarshmallow wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:44 pm
Have they expanded the Children's Museum yet? Kids are older, have not been there in three years. Also, the Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History has a great dinosaur display, plus the art museum is also part of the deal. Can also take the incline up to Mt. Washington, the Pittsburgh zoo and PPG aquarium is open (is it free on Jan 1st (?). Also Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens (some tickets have to be bought in advance). Also can take boat rides on the Gateway Clipper (they had kids events).

RM
Can't speak to the changes -- kids are younger, and I hadn't been there in maybe 30 years before this most recent trip. + 1 to Phipps, especially this time of year.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:51 am

This vacation is more about the parents and the accommodations for travelling while pregnant and having a 2-year old.

When my kids were 2, they were happy to stay in a hotel with a pool. And they had a lot of fun chasing birds in the park. The sights and sounds are more for the parents. Save the memorable destinations (especially the expensive ones) for when the kids are old enough to remember them, in a couple of years (or be prepared to go back.)

It is worth it to see if there is a children's Science museum in your area for which you can buy an annual membership. Most children's science museums have a reciprocal membership, so that your pass will work at any science center in any other town you visit. Then over the years, as you travel to different cities with the kids, you can check something out that is automatically kid friendly and hands on. Every major city has one.

Look for something with a feature that the toddler can relate to, especially if you have a children's book that is also on that topic. You can read it to them, then they can see the real thing (and pose with it). Then you can "revisit" the memory every time you re-read that children's book. Some examples: In Lancanster County, PA, there are the Amish, and many Amish country stores. It's near Philadelphia, which has many kid-friendly tourist sites (and the Liberty Bell). Hershey Park and Sesame Place are also in that city. (Both parks are open for Christmas.) It's possible to tour the chocolate factory at Hershey Park without going into the park. The Turkey Hill Ice Cream factory also offers tours, and kids get to make their own flavors. Again, these suggestions cost money, so try to pick things they will remember (candy factory, ice cream factory, Sesame Street and meeting the characters, riding in an Amish buggy, playing with an Amish wooden toy, etc.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 am

fourkids wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:01 pm
Skip a kid trip- your 2yo won't remember it anyway.
Do something fun for YOU.
Save the memorable destinations for when the kids are old enough to remember them...
I always find these types of comments interesting. The fact that your kid might not have vivid memories of a particular vacation when they get older should not deter you from taking them on fun trips.

Just because they won't recall specific memories as an adult doesn't mean such trips have no value for them or the parents.
My kids seem to have enjoyed and benefited from travel & exposure to new/different experiences, even though they don't remember it all.
I think it has had a positive impact on their development, interests, personality, ect.

And as parents, we have also derived immense pleasure from taking young kids along on trips.
Watching them experience things for the first time, interacting with their grandparents and great grandparents, ect.
The memories (and pictures) from these trips are priceless treasures for the adults and will always be remembered.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:59 am

Maybe your child is still too young but eastern TN is super fun for kids - Gatlinburg, Piegeon Forge, etc....

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 am

charleston, wv
st louis, mo
nashville, tn

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 am

Do you have a hotel with a waterpark in your city? It might be 3 miles away.

A splash pool and a good book for the adults. A vacation with a 2 year old isn't very memorable or fun. We had 3 2 year olds (now much older).
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:42 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 am
Do you have a hotel with a waterpark in your city? It might be 3 miles away.
A splash pool and a good book for the adults. A vacation with a 2 year old isn't very memorable or fun. We had 3 2 year olds (now much older).
To my (then and now) pleasant surprise, since our son loved to travel, we had several good trips/vacations when our son was in the 2-3 year old range.