Need Advice for Cheap Wireless Plans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wangy26

Need Advice for Cheap Wireless Plans

Post by wangy26 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:30 pm

I am looking for a cheap wireless plan for an elderly couple. They only use phone for talking and never do (don’t know how to) text or data. They currently have iPhone 6 from Verizon. I believe the phones are unlocked and can be used on both GMS and CDMA networks. I want to keep the same phones for what ever plan they will switch to (not buying any new phones). I do want to have a relieve network that won’t drop calls from time to time. They live in a metropolitan area (San Francisco suburban).

Basically, I am looking for a cheap wireless plan that have reliable network for talking. And they can also use the iPhone 6 they have now. I found Mint Mobile that has $15/month (plus tax) for unlimited talk, text and 3 GB data. This is more than what they need. But is definitely cheaper than what they have now ($35/month for each line on Verizon family plan). I just wonder if there are other even cheaper plan that will meet their need.

I would really appreciate it for any advice of suitable wireless plan. Thank you very much for the help!

bloom2708

Re: Need Advice for Cheap Wireless Plans

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Red Pocket offers a prepaid card for ~90 for one year of service.

500 minutes/500 text/500mb data for $7.42/month.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-42-Mo-Red-Po ... BL838Hpeyw

They have other plans with more minutes. If you choose Red/Verizon/CDMA, their current phones will (should) work. Don't know how old the phones are.

I would probably stick with Verizon or AT&T. I think in a major metro area, T-Mobile and Sprint would be fine. With the merger, Sprint will probably be absorbed.

For the monthly savings, I would try to get to a Red Pocket 360 plan for a whole year of service.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Are you a Costco member? Look for senior plans through them, with Verizon. Or AARP.

golfer292

Post by golfer292 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:20 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:01 pm
Red Pocket offers a prepaid card for ~90 for one year of service.

500 minutes/500 text/500mb data for $7.42/month.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-42-Mo-Red-Po ... BL838Hpeyw

They have other plans with more minutes. If you choose Red/Verizon/CDMA, their current phones will (should) work. Don't know how old the phones are.

I would probably stick with Verizon or AT&T. I think in a major metro area, T-Mobile and Sprint would be fine. With the merger, Sprint will probably be absorbed.

For the monthly savings, I would try to get to a Red Pocket 360 plan for a whole year of service.
I have been with Red Pocket for 6 months and since they use Verizon's network, I have not noticed ant difference in service. I was previously with Verizon for over 10 years . The only problem I have had with Red Pocket is I am on the 500 minute/500 text/500 mg data plan. If you go 1 minute past the 500 calls, your service is cut off until you pay up. You can call or go online and buy additional minutes @ $2.00 for 100 minutes. Your calls/text/data does not carry over to next month. I seldom use more than 500 minutes. I pay closer attention now. It is annoying to start to make a call and your phone is dead.

Topic Author
wangy26

Post by wangy26 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm

Thank you all very much for the advices. For this couple I am a little reluctant to put them on limited minutes (500 minute) plan. They don't talk a lot. But it is hard to ask them to watch for the minutes used or add more money when needed. I would rather to put them on a plan with more minute allowance or unlimited minutes.

CalcHP12c

Post by CalcHP12c » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Check out TMobile over 55 unlimited. $27.50/ month.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Just go up to a higher Red Pocket plan. Pick AT&T instead of Verizon (Blue vs Red).

Unlimited calling/text/1gb data $13.25/month. $159 for the year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-25Mo-Red-Po ... 6YO_CcOTTw

What is their budget? What are they spending now? Is money tight or are they sitting on millions?

Cricket Wireless is owned by AT&T. 2 phones would be $60/month with their lowest plan with data.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:29 pm

wangy26 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:30 pm
I am looking for a cheap wireless plan for an elderly couple. They only use phone for talking and never do (don’t know how to) text or data. They currently have iPhone 6 from Verizon. I believe the phones are unlocked and can be used on both GMS and CDMA networks. I want to keep the same phones for what ever plan they will switch to (not buying any new phones). I do want to have a relieve network that won’t drop calls from time to time. They live in a metropolitan area (San Francisco suburban).

Basically, I am looking for a cheap wireless plan that have reliable network for talking. And they can also use the iPhone 6 they have now. I found Mint Mobile that has $15/month (plus tax) for unlimited talk, text and 3 GB data. This is more than what they need. But is definitely cheaper than what they have now ($35/month for each line on Verizon family plan). I just wonder if there are other even cheaper plan that will meet their need.

I would really appreciate it for any advice of suitable wireless plan. Thank you very much for the help!
iPhones for Verizon and Sprint work on AT&T and T-Mobile GSM networks. The reverse isn’t always true. A lot of iPhones sold for GSM networks don’t have the Qualcomm CDMA silicon for CDMA. Since this is a Verizon phone, it should work fine anywhere in the world.

You normally need to pick the network you want to be on before looking for MVNO deals. In my travel pattern, Sprint and T Mobile are useless. Verizon is better than AT&T. If you live in an NFL city and don’t travel, you can use anyone. That’s not going to work for me.

ExitStageLeft

Post by ExitStageLeft » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm

We switched from AT&T to Consumer Cellular and cut our monthly bill in half. They use the AT&T network here and we see no change in call reliability. There is an AARP discount that I believe is 5%.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm

op

use opensignal to see map of actual coverage in your area

https://www.opensignal.com/networks

then check out Walmart plan they can use any of the four major carriers: https://www.walmart.com/cp/straight-tal ... ss/1045119

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:49 pm

wangy26 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:30 pm

I highly recommend Tracfone. Select no plan. Select Pay as you go. So cheap.

Blake7

Post by Blake7 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Check out ting.com. $6 per device/month, bring your own device, no contracts, GSM or CDMA network. You can turn off data and texts, and just use pooled minutes starting at $3 for 100 minutes. I’ve used them for several years. Great customer service. (PM me for a $25 account credit link). :happy

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm

Check out Tello. They have flexible monthly plans which you can change at anytime. For voice only, their plans range from $5 for 100 minutes to $8 unlimited. Their customer service is good.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm

When my sons had flip phones only for calling, I had them on T-Mobile pay as you go plans that cost $0.10/minute talk/text. I would add $100 to their account and it would typically last a year. When they got smartphones, I upgraded them to Mint Mobile's $20/mo plan for unlimited talk/text and 8 gb of data. Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile in our metro area. Your couple can enter their IMEI # at Mint Mobile to see if their phones can be used on its service.

nptit

Post by nptit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm

I have been using https://fi.google.com/about/plans/ and have found it be very good. Also if you ever find yourselves traveling overseas your service works like normal no extra sim card and data is the same price.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:07 pm

I am very happy with Mint Mobile. Their network coverage isnt the best but as long as they are not in an isolated rural area they should be fine. They can order a trial SIM card for just a few $ to try it before committing.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (wireless plan).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm

If you select a Verizon MVNO, they should have the same service. Mint Mobile is a T-mobile MVNO. If you are going to switch networks, I would carefully check the coverage map.

The only other caveat is that with Verizon postpaid, they will have service on both the Verizon network and Verizon’s roaming partners. With an MVNO, they may only have Verizon not a partner. For most people, especially in a place like SF, this makes no difference. But, if they travel, I would confirm coverage for anywhere they are likely to be.

Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Willing to work for it?

Do they have Xfinity internet (currently cheap at 25/month for 1 year)

If so there is a deal for $250 off a new phone. You can pick one of the cheaper phones for sat $350. Then get a Chase Freedom unlimited which has a $200 cash back on 500 spent.

You can get the phone at 350+ tax that should get you clsoe to $400. Spend another 100 or so at christmas and get $200 back. Pair that with the 250 youll get back in about 3 months and you'll have got a $350 phone and got paid $100 to do it.

One on the Xfinity network talk and text are FREE. you only pay for monthy taxes and fees which amount to about $3.

You can do 5 phones/line.

One caviot is that you need to have a number ported in so you get a number with one of the cheapie or free trial cell providers and then port it over to Xfinity. I used consumer cellular.

A bit of work but ongoing cost are very low. Saving my mom and 2 kids ~20/month each since they have phones that never get on the network (wifi only) and only make phone calls and texts.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Cricket- 30 bucks a month all taxes included. On AT&T network so good coverage.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Figuring_it_out wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 pm
Willing to work for it?

Do they have Xfinity internet (currently cheap at 25/month for 1 year)

If so there is a deal for $250 off a new phone. You can pick one of the cheaper phones for sat $350. Then get a Chase Freedom unlimited which has a $200 cash back on 500 spent.

You can get the phone at 350+ tax that should get you clsoe to $400. Spend another 100 or so at christmas and get $200 back. Pair that with the 250 youll get back in about 3 months and you'll have got a $350 phone and got paid $100 to do it.

One on the Xfinity network talk and text are FREE. you only pay for monthy taxes and fees which amount to about $3.

You can do 5 phones/line.

One caviot is that you need to have a number ported in so you get a number with one of the cheapie or free trial cell providers and then port it over to Xfinity. I used consumer cellular.

A bit of work but ongoing cost are very low. Saving my mom and 2 kids ~20/month each since they have phones that never get on the network (wifi only) and only make phone calls and texts.
I think this is old info. You're grandfathered in with the old plan, but you can longer get this plan on Xfinity Mobile. $12 per line per month is the minimum, with 1GB of data included.

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Because the phone was for the Verizon network, consider Page Plus Cellular, which uses the Verizon wireless network. For light use, a Pay As You Go Plan is a good choice: $10 for 166 minutes of voice service for up to 120 days. See https://www.pagepluscellular.com/refill/ for other plans.

Post by 123 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Assuming that they get adequate coverage from the T-mobile network a good plan for them is Mint Mobile (a T-mobile MVNO) $!5 a month plan (when you pay 12 months in advance). It gives unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 3 GB ofLTE data monthly (it is understood that they won't use text or data). There are a number of plans with prepaid minutes (with limits) by various carriers but they don't meet the OP's requirement that plan requires no action by the phone user.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:17 am

Both Consumer Cellular and H2O Wireless use the AT&T prepaid network; same as AT&T prepaid and Cricket. I believe Consumer Cellular also uses T-Mobile so you have to pay attention to the SIM card you get if you sign up. I prefer AT&T, but in a large metro area there should be no difference. Both are available at Target I believe. Consumer Cellular costs $20/month plus tax for unlimited voice, no data. You can add a second line for $15/month. H20 Wireless is $20/month with 1 GB data for one line. If you use auto-recharge it is $18/month. Can't remember if CC had this option as well. H2O multi-line is $25 per line/month, so 2 lines would cost $50 with 5GB data. I have used both and had good service and have used H2O Wireless for a couple of years now with no issues. When I used Consumer Cellular, the customer service seemed quite good. If no data is needed, it would seem Consumer Cellular would be the better choice for 2 lines. $35/month + tax for unlimited talk. There is a 5% AARP discount. If 1 line is needed with no data, it's a wash.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.