iPad or Chromebook for 5 year old?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
unclescrooge

iPad or Chromebook for 5 year old?

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Thinking of getting either am iPad or a Chromebook for my daughter who is nearly 5, and her brother who is nearly 3.

Both are about $250 at Costco.

Lennovo 11.6 inch Chromebook:
Features:
Intel® Celeron® N4000 Processor at 1.1GHz
11.6" Touchscreen LED-backlit IPS HD (1366 x 768) Display
802.11 Wireless-AC (2x2) + Bluetooth® 5.0
Integrated 720p Webcam
Compatible With Google Assistant

7th Gen Apple iPad A10 Fusion Chip 32GB
features:
10.2-inch Retina display
A10 Fusion chip
Touch ID fingerprint sensor
8MP back camera, 1.2MP FaceTime HD front camera
Stereo speakers
802.11ac Wi-Fi
Up to 10 hours of battery life
Lightning connector for charging and accessories
Support for Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil (Sold Separately)
iPadOS with intuitive multitasking, new Home screen, and all the great features of iOS 13

Other than the iPad having a sightly smaller screen and half the internal storage, I don't know which is better.

Primary use will be using it for piano lessons via YouTube, and also for entertainment while traveling on long flights and car rides.

Secondary use will be for educational apps. My MIL used to teach kindergarten and has been giving them "homework" since they were 2. My daughter can already read and my son can identify the alphabet.

Maybe the primary and secondary uses will get flipped, but you get the idea.

My MIL prefers the iPad, but my wife am I are an Android household. I'm loathe to get embedded in the Apple ecosystem.

We had the Amazon fire tablets previously and they sucked.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: the Lenovo doubles as tablet
Last edited by unclescrooge on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mptfan

Re: iPad or Chromebook for 5 year old?

Post by mptfan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Chromebook.

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:04 pm

mptfan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:02 pm
Chromebook.
Thanks. Any particular reason?

I trust your opinion, but my wife will have questions. :mrgreen:

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:24 pm

I would go with a tablet for your intended use. It is a more convenient form factor for traveling. Even the younger kid will be able to physically manage it. My 10 year old nephew puts the tablet on the piano where the music goes and uses one of the online piano instruction apps.

In my experience, tablets have been popular for quite a few years now amongst younger kids. I would speculate that this would lead to a wide selection of educational apps being optimized for tablets.

If you want to be an Android family, I would go with the Samsung tablet or one of the highly ranked competitors in your price range. Personally, I think the 8” is a better size than the 10” for small hands but the options in smaller tablets seem to be disappearing. But regardless of size or OS, get one of those oversized kids cases for it.
Last edited by Katietsu on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:36 pm

one thing else to consider is the Surface GO.

I think they sell for around $299.

It’s still a Windows world and this may be very useful to learn on.

Have a good week.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:40 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:36 pm
one thing else to consider is the Surface GO.

I think they sell for around $299.

It’s still a Windows world and this may be very useful to learn on.

Have a good week.
I'm intrigued by the Surface Go, but would like to hear from someone who has used the W10 in S mode OS. I understand it will only run apps from the Windows App Store. I've read that you can disable S mode but once disabled you can't go back? Anyone with experience?

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:47 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:23 pm
In what way did they suck?

For 5 and 3 I would have recommended
Fire tablet
Chromebook
iPad
Don't be a lemming.

jb1

Post by jb1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Chess kit

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:59 pm

jb1 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:48 pm
Chess kit
+1

Best tablet for a 3 or 5 year old:

https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Differen ... B06XVJQ2C8

Plays tic-tac-toe and hangman!

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Aside from the screen time issue, maybe check to see what tablet the 5 year old uses at school. Kindergardens in my town use ipads so all 5 year olds here know how to use that well.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Primary use will be using it for piano lessons via YouTube, and also for entertainment while traveling on long flights and car rides.

Secondary use will be for educational apps. My MIL used to teach kindergarten and has been giving them "homework" since they were 2. My daughter can already read and my son can identify the alphabet.
Between the 2 choices, an iPad or other slim tablet will fit on a piano music rack or stand. A 2-in-1 or 360 might also, but thicker. Most other chromebooks won't.

Younger children who aren't writing/typing will likely enjoy a tablet more. A chromebook is great for older/middle school children writing assignments, but by high school, they may need more.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Why you would give a 3 and/or 5 year old an iPad is beyond me.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:22 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thinking of getting either am iPad or a Chromebook for my daughter who is nearly 5, and her brother who is nearly 3.

Both are about $250 at Costco.

Lennovo 11.6 inch Chromebook:
Features:
Intel® Celeron® N4000 Processor at 1.1GHz
11.6" Touchscreen LED-backlit IPS HD (1366 x 768) Display
802.11 Wireless-AC (2x2) + Bluetooth® 5.0
Integrated 720p Webcam
Compatible With Google Assistant

7th Gen Apple iPad A10 Fusion Chip 32GB
features:
10.2-inch Retina display
A10 Fusion chip
Touch ID fingerprint sensor
8MP back camera, 1.2MP FaceTime HD front camera
Stereo speakers
802.11ac Wi-Fi
Up to 10 hours of battery life
Lightning connector for charging and accessories
Support for Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil (Sold Separately)
iPadOS with intuitive multitasking, new Home screen, and all the great features of iOS 13

Other than the iPad having a sightly smaller screen and half the internal storage, I don't know which is better.

Maybe the primary and secondary uses will get flipped, but you get the idea.

My MIL prefers the iPad, but my wife am I are an Android household. I'm loathe to get embedded in the Apple ecosystem.

Thanks in advance.
Neither. I would never consider these options at there ages. They are 5 years old and 3 years old. Let them enjoy their own age.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Our kids were gifted iPads unknowingly by a well-meaning family member at about the same ages. In the end we accepted the gift but have been very strict with screen time limits. It actually was never a real problem until they got to an older age. They also use Chromebooks at school.

I think an iPad is much more relatable to kids this age than a Chromebook or Windows device. Windows especially their App Store is mostly filled with junk.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:35 pm

iPad or other tablet. We embrace technology.

My 9 year old has difficulty with the laptop because she can't type. My 6 year old has difficulty with the laptop because she can't read. My 2 year old learned to use her iPad when she was 1.

I also had a Lenovo Tablet with a detachable keyboard. My kids were unable to use Windows 10 in tablet mode. At least not without my guidance. My 9 year also broke the hinge on not one but two laptops when she got frustrated and pushed the laptop onto the floor.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm

The main thing with an iPad at that age (aside from screen time]is breakage, so you will want to spend big bucks on a case. I would check out the more rugged versions in this article.
https://www.fractuslearning.com/ipad-cases-for-kids/

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Similar to the recent post about content filtering, I recommend iPad or other iOS devices for young kids. You can use Screen Time feature that will limit exposure to adult content. Android simply doesn't have any great content filters or app control at the moment. I also think iPads have better educational apps.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:22 pm
Neither. I would never consider these options at there ages. They are 5 years old and 3 years old. Let them enjoy their own age.
Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:16 pm
We're talking maybe 10 hrs/week of usage tops. I don't think exposing kids to technology will hurt them.

My daughter also plays soccer, takes tap and ballet once a week, and visits the natural history museum couple of times a month. So she gets enough exposure to regular kids activities, outside of 40 hrs of preschool each week.

She also wanted start taking clarinet lessons but we shut that down. I told her if she wants more classes she'll have to get a job to pay for them.

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 pm

harrychan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:14 pm
Similar to the recent post about content filtering, I recommend iPad or other iOS devices for young kids. You can use Screen Time feature that will limit exposure to adult content. Android simply doesn't have any great content filters or app control at the moment. I also think iPads have better educational apps.
mhalley wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm
The main thing with an iPad at that age (aside from screen time]is breakage, so you will want to spend big bucks on a case. I would check out the more rugged versions in this article.
Great points. I ordered the iPads. Will look to getting heavy duty cases. Thanks!

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:35 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:47 pm
unclescrooge wrote:

Fire tablet
Chromebook
iPad
Switching between apps in a fire tablet was just irritating. The navigation menu was not intuitive for me, and I find myself just as frustrated as my daughter when using it.

Plus the screen isn't as responsive (it's also a lot cheaper so I can't blame them), but when dealing with sticky fingers it made navigation even harder.

expat

Post by expat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:11 am

C. A book. One with pages.

frequentflyer

Post by frequentflyer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 am

Why on earth would a 3 and 5 year old need any kind of screen/device?

How about some books or some art and craft supplies?

Maybe a chemistry set (if they’re still legal) or some building blocks.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:35 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:47 pm
unclescrooge wrote:

Fire tablet
Chromebook
iPad
Switching between apps in a fire tablet was just irritating. The navigation menu was not intuitive for me, and I find myself just as frustrated as my daughter when using it.

Plus the screen isn't as responsive (it's also a lot cheaper so I can't blame them), but when dealing with sticky fingers it made navigation even harder.
Odd. My grandchildren had no problem using a Kindle at all. Both have used Kindles since age 3. No frustration, completely responsive.
I guess everyone is different.
Don't be a lemming.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 am

frequentflyer wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 am
How about some books or some art and craft supplies?

Maybe a chemistry set (if they’re still legal) or some building blocks.
It's hard to do piano lessons using art and craft supplies. And a chemistry set might ruin the finish on the piano.
Don't be a lemming.

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:40 am

expat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:11 am
C. A book. One with pages.
Sounds like something I would say before I had kids. Kids need only one thing... Whipping! :mrgreen:

We already have tons of books. Apart from the daily bedtime reading, we also used to spend Saturday mornings at the library for story time.

Ryanmill

Post by Ryanmill » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:43 am

ipad is definitely the best choice. Kids pick it up quickly and are very reliable.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:55 am

Not sure if you want to hear it but:

My 6 year old's school principal said the biggest issue with kids and technology is teaching the kids that the school ipads are learning devices not toys as the kids use home tablets for games and play at home.

We avoided most technology with our kids till they started needed them for school (including TV). Now they still barely get any besides doing school assigned math work on the ipad. My daughter sees the math work on the ipad as a treat, which is nice.

My vote: no ipad or chromebook even if you plan on restricting it to less than 10 hours a week. We have a family ipad and everyone shares it.
Last edited by Andyrunner on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 am

My kids are using 8 year old ipads. That's the best thing about them in my opinion is that an ipad is good for a long time. You get a new one and your kids can use them for years.

Definitely get the rugged cases. And screen wipes...lots of screen wipes.

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Andyrunner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:55 am
Not sure if you want to hear it but:

My 6 year old's school principal said the biggest issue with kids and technology is teaching the kids that the school ipads are learning devices not toys as the kids use home tablets for games and play at home.

We avoided most technology with our kids till they started needed them for school (including TV). Now they still barely get any besides doing school assigned math work on the ipad. My daughter sees the math work on the ipad as a treat, which is nice.

My vote: no ipad or chromebook even if you plan on restricting it to less than 10 hours a week. We have a family ipad and everyone shares it.
I totally understand. They get no unsupervised screen time at this age.
MIL is retired kindergarten teacher and she uses a lot of learning apps on her iPad whenever she's around. The kids use apps for math, reading and science.
And dinosaur apps - I have a couple of those from the Smithsonian that are pretty awesome. My daughter wants to be a paleontologist when she grows up...and my son wants to be a T-rex :D

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
My kid was given an Ipad at age 2, by age 3 was adept at it. Ipad is way more user friendly than a Chromebook.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Surprised the Kindle isn't mentioned more. Much cheaper than all other options mentioned, and if you get the Kids' Edition, it comes with a breakage warranty, a great protective case, and a free year of their kid apps.

Every Kindle is worse than the worst ipad, but the Kindle works for all major video viewing (Netflix, Prime, Disney+) and has pretty much all the good game apps, since it's just an Android device with an Amazon overlay. We have two kindles that are almost 3 years old, and they still work fine.

These are really presents for the parent, not the kid. We only let the kids use their Kindles for car rides > 1 hour, plane rides, attending siblings' sporting events in bad weather, and rare occasions at home when both parents need to get things done or completely focus on one kid. We have 3 young kids, and with no nanny, au pair, or extended family help around, some occasional screen time is a big help.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:04 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
My kid was given an Ipad at age 2, by age 3 was adept at it. Ipad is way more user friendly than a Chromebook.
I’m not disputing that a child can become adept at these, I’m simply cautioning that it may not be wise to give a 3 or 5 year old their very own iPad.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:11 pm

iPad will work better for your use-cases. Most pianos come with a book holder etc. where you could put the iPad. Definitely more suitable for travel needs.

Also, iPad OS so it isn't just a stretched out screen for apps etc.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 pm
harrychan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:14 pm
mhalley wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm
Great points. I ordered the iPads. Will look to getting heavy duty cases. Thanks!
Good choice. I highly recommend setting firm limits. For my 9 and 11 year old, all electronics are OFF LIMITS during the weekday. They can only touch our family tablet or game systems over the weekend. With their games and church on Sunday, it really limits them to a few hours early Sat and mid day Sunday. No playing from dinner and beyond either. I also have my wifi set up so the devices are blocked from going online during those periods.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:04 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
I’m not disputing that a child can become adept at these, I’m simply cautioning that it may not be wise to give a 3 or 5 year old their very own iPad.
Each parent can make their own decisions but we embrace technology and the iPad is probably the best dollar spent in terms of usage it gets. it's used for homework, to watch movies, to chat with grandparents, to play games etc. the form factor allows it to be taken easily into cars, airplanes, on trips... Lots of educational apps. Amazon Rapids is great for reading and for travel. we do limit screentime and it's all about finding a balance. kids learn incredibly fast.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:37 pm

I expect this is a "2 in 1" Lenovo Chromebook, right? If so, in addition to its traditional Chromebook functions, it is also a fully functioning Android tablet. If so, go with the Chromebook.

The Chromebook will be way more useful, especially as he grows...

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:54 am

Finridge wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:37 pm
I expect this is a "2 in 1" Lenovo Chromebook, right? If so, in addition to its traditional Chromebook functions, it is also a fully functioning Android tablet. If so, go with the Chromebook.

That was my original thought. But I succumbed to pressure and already ordered the iPad. Besides, I'm sure my kids will break them before the actually need the keyboard functionality.

London

Post by London » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:59 am

I knew how this thread was going to turn out before I clicked on it. The pious internet crowd didn’t disappoint.

“Should I get A or B for the kids?”

“You should get C as only good parents like me can tell you”.

Thanks internet.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 pm
Trader Joe wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
We're talking maybe 10 hrs/week of usage tops. I don't think exposing kids to technology will hurt them.
Our kids (7 and 4) have fire tablets. They do everything we want them to (primarily math games and Lexia learning) and are cheap enough that we wouldn't freak if they were broken (which has yet to happen). Unless we have a road trip, they got <5hrs a month.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:11 am

London wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:59 am
I knew how this thread was going to turn out before I clicked on it. The pious internet crowd didn’t disappoint.

Thanks internet.
I knew someone would make this comment. Although I have to admit that I didn't anticipate reading the word "pious". Is the entire internet pious, or is that just a subset?

Thanks internet.
Don't be a lemming.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:17 am

London wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:59 am

Thanks internet.
Everyone has their own preference.
Some are Apple fans, others are Google fans, others are Microsoft fans.
When it comes to kids, cost, IMHO, would seem to be an important factor.
Kids break stuff.
Normally, I wouldn't put an expensive Apple (or any other brand) product in a kid's hands.
It's just that kids do tend to sometimes be a little rough on stuff.
Just my 2cents worth.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:19 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 pm
Trader Joe wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
Our kids (7 and 4) have fire tablets. They do everything we want them to (primarily math games and Lexia learning) and are cheap enough that we wouldn't freak if they were broken (which has yet to happen). Unless we have a road trip, they got <5hrs a month.
My grandchildren have Fire tablets in the "kids edition". The "bumper" has almost certainly saved the devices many times over.

They are perfect tablets for the kiddos. The younger one currently loves to play dinosaur and Lego learning games. The older one has been fascinated with learning how to make "slime" recently. On a recent cross-country flight, they both enjoyed having the tablets.

When the kiddos stay at our house, the tablets seldom come out. We like to play non-electronic games with them, go on "hikes" (adding a stick to any walk turns it into a hike), and be outside as much as possible. Still, there are a few minutes here and there where they amuse themselves with the tablets while we are making meals or such.

We believe in balance in all things. There's nothing wrong with a little technology once in a while.
Don't be a lemming.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:54 am
Finridge wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:37 pm

That was my original thought. But I succumbed to pressure and already ordered the iPad. Besides, I'm sure my kids will break them before the actually need the keyboard functionality.
That's actually just another reason to get a chromebook (and maybe NOT the Costco one)... Here is the chromebook I got for my kids. It's actually designed for use by kids and so is "ruggedized " and water resistant. And it's cheaper than the two Costco products you were looking at. We've been very pleased with it. I use it myself sometimes.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Chromebook- ... r=8-3&th=1