Customer Service with Vanguard

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
fandango

Re: Customer Service with Vanguard

Post by fandango » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Bogleheads has 75,000 registered members.

SCY

Post by SCY » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:01 am

The complaint that brought me to post here-- related to their screw ups with normal, nominal happenings you just don't expect from a world class financial institution, and contrary to how Vanguard used to be with client services. (Reference to closing the lock box for mail in deposits and not notifying the client/ thousands of $ in lost checks, and Vanguard taking no responsibility to help recover)

Quite an eye opener what some have reported here.. far more serious than my lost checks and reaction to Vanguard's indifference. Most of us wouldn't even know if there's a mistake in cost basis, or re-invested dividends, etc. Isn't there an independent auditor who is supposed to protect unsuspecting clients of this kind of thing?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:37 am

fandango wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:49 pm
Bogleheads has 75,000 registered members.
And that's relevant how to a discussion of Vanguard's service?

Let's assume, just for fun, that 1,000 Bogleheads posted about horrible Vanguard service experiences.

Let's assume that the 30 million investor number is the exact number.

1,000 / 30,000,000 = .0033%

In fact, you won't find 1,000 posts like that.

Of course, for every negative post on a forum there are multiples of that in people with good experiences, because people don't post about positive experiences, they post to complain, and sometimes to get resolution.

I have had numerous awful experiences with Home Depot, including having them my contact information from reviews on their site to vendors, who then try to resolve the situation, and then get me to agree to allow them to remove the negative review. That, and 17 other negative reviews of Home Depot, doesn't mean squat. Recently a negative review got a vendor to contact me (a person specifically assigned to review Home Depot reviews and follow-up). That person asked if their product manager could contact me. I said sure. Product Manager did, said they'd replace my unit with an "upgraded one". Fact - they've always had two units, the "upgraded one" is a higher end model, doesn't change anything about the lower end model... He asked for shipping info, and I provided it - 2 weeks ago. I provided it again this week, and on Monday I will contact the customer service rep to get him involved again, because a promised free $200 item is going to be sent to me. Does this mean that Home Depot is better, or worse? Oh, and the product line is "exclusive" to Home Depot.

In no way am I saying that Vanguard doesn't have issues. So does Fidelity (I've posted about why I left them). So does Schwab. So does _____. This forum has more Vanguard owners than Schwab or Fidelity (non-fact, made up by me), so it's going to have more negative posts (quantity, not percent) about Vanguard than about Fidelity.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:54 am

kiddoc wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:38 am
PoundCake wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:31 am
I'm glad for those folks who have not experienced these problems; I wish I could be part of that group.
:beer My thoughts exactly. The non-profit status and Jack Bogle philosophy sound great. The low expense ratio and no sales pressure seem amazing. The people complaining on forums seem like isolated incidents which happen with any brokerage...

... until Vanguard screws up basic accounting/ record keeping, creates a tax liability of ~$13,000 for you, their "inquiry" gets nowhere in 3 months, and no one seems willing to help or to respond in a timely way. Asking them to correct their mistake is labelled "asking for tax advice, which we are not qualified to give. Please contact a tax attorney".

At that point you think, "Well, maybe a 0.01% increase in expense ratio or the occasional sales pitch to avoid this would not be so bad. At least I would have an office where I can plop down and refuse to get up till they fix things".
This type of thing is happening at all kinds of companies as there is constant pressure to cut costs, the trend towards offshoring jobs has not stopped, now even white collar jobs are being sent overseas. My former employer recently did just that, the job that I did for over 15 years is now being done by somebody in India or the Philippines. No doubt this will start happening in the mutual fund industry at some point. Nothing more frustrating to have a problem and then realize that the person you are speaking to is located overseas and is reading off of a script. If the problem doesn't get resolved to get transferred to a supervisor who also is reading off of a script. If your problem is complex enough, your problem will get "escalated" which means no one knows what to do. I feel for the reps as they don't really have the knowledge or experience and they have no authority to step in and fix the problem. The rep is frustrated dealing with an angry customer because there can get to be an impasse where the problem can't be solved. The folks that could solve the issue were long ago laid off.

So this is what I keep trying to tell folks here on the forum. When everything is "free", something has to give. There gets to be a point where relationships matter and customer service matters. The offshoring and outsourcing work pretty well as long as everything is routine. You get a complex issue and the folks just can't deal with it. Management can always promise to deliver lower costs but all this comes at a price. I want the people who handle my confidential financial affairs to be happy, happy, happy. I don't want to deal with folks who don't give a darn. Also nothing more infuriating than a "virtual assistant." You want a live human being, someone who will take responsibility and fix your problem and in some cases that person just does not exist.

This is why I have my accounts set up the way they are even though there are additional costs. With two of the companies that I work with, I have a personal representative. The third company is Fidelity which so far has continued its excellent customer service, so far so good. If something goes wrong, I want somebody I can call, someone who knows me and someone who can go to bat to get the issue resolved. I am fed up with the call centers.
A fool and his money are good for business.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am

Being the cheapest doesn’t equate to being the best.
IMHO, Vanguard is the wal-mart of mutual funds/etf’s.
In most aspects of life you get just what you pay for.
You want a Seiko watch, you’ll pay the price.
You want a Mercedes, you’ll pay the price.
There a lot cheaper watches and cars to be had, but you get what you pay for.
I like VG, Fidelity and Schwab with accounts at all three (for now anyway).
I can do my own financial work, but only because I did it professionally.
At least with Fidelity and Schwab they have offices to go to if a problem arises that a “call center” can’t fix correctly and timely.
Being able to sit down face to face to get something corrected is a huge plus, especially when it comes to money.
This is where VG is totally lacking.....face to face customer service where the person you are dealing with knows you.
Don’t confuse good products with good service.
Just my 2cents worth on a Saturday morning.
Have a great weekend.

Money Market

Post by Money Market » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 am

I transferred an IRA for someone from a bank to Vanguard by printing out the form, filling it out correctly, getting the medallion stamp, and sending it to the address. The transfer completed in 2.5 weeks without any problems. Then we sold everything inside for the balanced index fund. The only point in which we had to call in was to double check that the fees for selling the existing funds would be $0.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Money Market wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 am
I transferred an IRA for someone from a bank to Vanguard by printing out the form, filling it out correctly, getting the medallion stamp, and sending it to the address. The transfer completed in 2.5 weeks without any problems. Then we sold everything inside for the balanced index fund. The only point in which we had to call in was to double check that the fees for selling the existing funds would be $0.
I transferred 2 tIRAs from other brokers into new TDAmeritrade IRAs. I visited the local TDA office, they essentially completed the simple forms, DW and I signed them, and the local office rep handled the mailing. The transfers completed in under 1 week without any problems.

I've never needed a medallion stamp, except once when transferring an actual stock certificate.

Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:28 pm

I haven't really had any issues with Vanguard. I've rolled over funds for myself to them and also helped someone escape EJ for Vanguard. That being said, my funds are now at Fidelity for a variety of reasons.

HINT: Vanguard funds dont have to be held with Vanguard. Go wherever you get better service.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:34 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:04 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:56 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:05 pm
Posts like the couple just made confirm my decision, when I retired, to move assets from Vanguard to a discount broker with a local office.
Ever heard of confirmation bias? If you seek it, you will find it.
Vanguard has over 30 million investors. 25 negative experiences doesn't mean squat.
I doubt that 10% of the population and let's say 20% of the stock owning population has an account directly with Vanguard. I think you are including people who own VG funds in other companies accounts. So you might have made a point about questionable assumptions with questionable assumptions.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:34 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
Posts like the couple just made confirm my decision, when I retired, to move assets from Vanguard to a discount broker with a local office.
Vanguard has over 30 million investors. 25 negative experiences doesn't mean squat.
I doubt that 10% of the population and let's say 20% of the stock owning population has an account directly with Vanguard. I think you are including people who own VG funds in other companies accounts. So you might have made a point about questionable assumptions with questionable assumptions.
Exactly my intent. :twisted: Reinforces the fact that people read 9 things posted on a forum, which may be true, or not true, and immediately decide whether a company is great or awful. It's more than ridiculous.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:26 pm

557880yvi wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 pm
fandango wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 am
Completed some RMD transactions this morning. That went smoothly no problem.

THEN, I was transferred to a "Flagship Representative" to complete my transition to the new brokerage platform. This was for the second time since no one answered the phone the first time I called.

After 15 minutes talking the representative and mid way through the process, my call was disconnected. Never received a call back. I called back to try to reach the same person and was given a new representative who said she would get the original representative for me to complete the process. I never heard back from her.

I called again and got another representative who actually walked me through the process. Victory!

What should have taken 10 minutes turned into 95 minutes! What bothered me most was that Vanguard initiated this change in platform, but I had to spend my time working with inept, discourteous reps to really make it happen. Couldn't they have automated this process? :confused Not the Vanguard I started investing in 40 years ago.

The most frustrating thing to me is that Vanguard is like a giant marshmallow. There is no one in charge to complain to about problems. The reps say that they will pass complaints on to upper management, but I seriously doubt if this ever happens. :confused

Time for me to look for another investment home.
Same miserable experience this month. Problems with a very large transaction (that was initiated by Vanguard and should be one of the most straightforward and most common they process). Hours on end of trying to get through to a Flagship person (no one answers, call-backs come when you can't answer) When you can finally answer the call-back the person on the other end has no experience, training in the area of your request but insists on "helping you". Clear that they don't even understand your question (but puts you through the "3rd degree", wasting more time. Won't transfer you or only does after putting you on hold many times to "talk to a colleague" and frequently the call drops (or they hang up).

Found out yesterday after nearly 4 hours of trying to get someone at Vanguard who find out why my transaction, initiated 2 weeks ago had disappeared even though their website said it was completed and in my account (not in the account, no activity, transaction - MIA) the following:

1. There is no Flagship group any longer, calls from Flagship customers go to the same reps that service all customers - the call center pool. They have been taught how to "handle Flagship requests". The actually said that all customer calls are being answered the same way whether you have $1 or $1M. This was confirmed by 2 different reps. DESPITE an email yesterday telling me the "my Flagship Team" was still there to help me! So I responded, how do I reach them then? No answer.

2. You can't rely on their website to show correct information (WHAT?) so not to rely on it to determine if my money had been transferred. They said there are a lot of problems with the website (OMG). That I should just wait a few days to see if it shows up (really, almost a half a million dollars in outer space somewhere, floating around, not invested and no one can tell me where it is and I should just wait a few days?)

3. No managers available (ever) to talk to customers - they don't do that anymore. You can ask for a manager call back but it probably won't be a manager, maybe a senior rep.

I also had enormous problems in the past 2 years getting assets transferred into my accounts correctly and if I did not have a great deal of familiarity from my career about these things were supposed to work, may not have picked up on a number of mistake made (including issues of incorrectly reinvesting accrued dividends on transferred equities - they had to send me a sizable check to cover those errors).

To the comments made by others that these are fake commentary -that is absurd. I am not a fake reviewer or a competitor - I am a more than 25-year Vanguard customer and don't think the others who have taken the time to respond are fake either. And our comments are not from a Yelp type review where one generally finds mostly negative comments. Feedback about Vanguard CS was provided to help others here with their questions about our experiences. This is my current, real and honest experience, much from just this week.
Here’s the difference a human can make. When I retired 2 years ago I was doing the paperwork to transfer my 401k to my existing Fidelity IRA. The Fidelity website showed an address location I was unfamiliar with so I dropped a note to our account rep to confirm. His answer was to send the check to him personally at his branch. He called me when it arrived and said it would show in the account the next morning.

It’s fine to not need an account rep.....until you do.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm
MichCPA wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:34 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
Exactly my intent. :twisted: Reinforces the fact that people read 9 things posted on a forum, which may be true, or not true, and immediately decide whether a company is great or awful. It's more than ridiculous.
If I can assume your are referring to me, I was in no way assuming that Vanguard was "awful". When I retired, I decided to consolidate 7 accounts held at 4 different brokers (including Vanguard). One of my criteria was to select a broker with local office access. Given the customer service issues mentioned by the 9 or so Vanguard customers, it seems that many of the issues they describe could have been lessened or eliminated if they had access to a local office. In my experience, a problem is often more easily resolved if you can meet with someone in person.
Last edited by neilpilot on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm in the middle of a roll-in process and it has been very frustrating. The reps lie to you just to get you off the phone and just go in circles instead of actually trying to resolve a problem. If I survive this one supposedly simple transaction, I will be moving the rest of my accounts to Fidelity soon after.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Neilpilot said:

“When I retired, I decided to consolidate 7 accounts held at 4 different brokers (including Vanguard). One of my criteria was to select a broker with local office access. Given the customer service issues mentioned by the 9 or so Vanguard customers, it seems that many of the issues they describe could have been lessened or eliminated if they had access to a local office. In my experience, a problem is often more easily resolved if you can meet with someone in person.”

+1.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm

If I can assume your are referring to me, I was in no way assuming that Vanguard was "awful". When I retired, I decided to consolidate 7 accounts held at 4 different brokers (including Vanguard). One of my criteria was to select a broker with local office access. Given the customer service issues mentioned by the 9 or so Vanguard customers, it seems that many of the issues they describe could have been lessened or eliminated if they had access to a local office. In my experience, a problem is often more easily resolved if you can meet with someone in person.
I absolutely was not referring to anyone in particular, no. Sorry if you took it that way.

I was responding to the general fact that people read something on the interwebs, like 7 or 13 bad reviews of Vanguard, and say "I'm leaving Vanguard".

I left Fidelity after the office of the CEO - yes, Abigail Johnson's office - couldn't resolve an issue. Who resolved it? Me. I gave Fidelity nearly 1/2 of a year to resolve it, and they never did. I got it resolved, with the account at Fidelity, then 99% of what we had there (we had been split between Fidelity and Vanguard). We left a 403b but empty it yearly, and a very tiny HSA.

So, based on my bad experience, even with the assistance of the head of the company's special office to resolve issues, should people leave? Yes, absolutely, because the Interwebs rule. :sharebeer

mister_sparkle

Post by mister_sparkle » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:46 am

For the first time as a Vanguard Flagship customer, I needed to call to request that two brokerage Rollover IRA accounts be combined. After 20 minutes on hold, I hung up and instead sent a secure message with my request.

Awful service. Were it not for a large amount of unrealized capital gains, I'd move my entire portfolio over to Fidelity. I am planning on starting this process with all my tax-advantaged accounts. Vanguard needs to hire more people.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 pm

mister_sparkle wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:46 am
For the first time as a Vanguard Flagship customer, I needed to call to request that two brokerage Rollover IRA accounts be combined. After 20 minutes on hold, I hung up and instead sent a secure message with my request.

Awful service. Were it not for a large amount of unrealized capital gains, I'd move my entire portfolio over to Fidelity. I am planning on starting this process with all my tax-advantaged accounts. Vanguard needs to hire more people.
Can you move the appreciated assets in your taxable account to Fidelity in kind? That should avoid your capital gains concern.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:44 pm

mister_sparkle wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:46 am
After 20 minutes on hold, I hung up and instead sent a secure message with my request.
I much prefer communicating via secure message than phone. If you gave up after only 20 minutes, you must never have tried to reach the IRS.

neilpilot wrote:
In my experience, a problem is often more easily resolved if you can meet with someone in person.
I dread going to the DMV to meet with them in person. Last time there was more than 100 people ahead of me in line.

FWIW, I haven't had to call Vanguard for 20+ years about any problem (last time I called, I was a newbie investor and needed some hand holding, and email communication probably wasn't even available). I secure messaged last year about forms to move part of my 401k to Vanguard (first time in a number of years that I had to do even that). Was handled promptly and 6-figure transfer went through without a hitch.

This site has some alternate views on Fidelity and Vanguard:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/fidelity.html
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automat ... guard.html

BBB:
https://www.bbb.org/us/ma/boston/profil ... -0021-4138
https://www.bbb.org/us/pa/malvern/profi ... 1-80000841

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:07 am

StandingRock wrote:
I'm in the middle of a roll-in process and it has been very frustrating. The reps lie to you just to get you off the phone and just go in circles instead of actually trying to resolve a problem. If I survive this one supposedly simple transaction, I will be moving the rest of my accounts to Fidelity soon after.
I'm still no closer to getting this figured out. It has really messed me up. Costing me a lot of time and money and undue stress. Messing me up on timing for several other things in my life. No way in you know what should it take more than two months to do a rollover. AVOID VANGUARD LIKE THE PLAGUE.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am

StandingRock wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:07 am
StandingRock wrote:
I'm still no closer to getting this figured out. It has really messed me up. Costing me a lot of time and money and undue stress. Messing me up on timing for several other things in my life. No way in you know what should it take more than two months to do a rollover. AVOID VANGUARD LIKE THE PLAGUE.
And by the way, I asked three times to speak to a supervisor or manager level person. Every time they said "OK, we will take your number and name and they will call back in 24 to 48 hours." First of all LOLOLOLOL at that concept. Second of all, I never got any call back from anyone from Vanguard.

AVOID VANGUARD.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Take a deep breath...Life is too short...

I find this forum very helpful. Just keep in mind that you are reading responses from anonymous people. I’m not even sure why people ask which broker is best without providing your requirements.

I think my cell phone provider is great, but they might not be the best for you because there are too many dead spot in your location. It’s all relative.

If you want to switch, then switch...

clip651

Post by clip651 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:32 pm

StandingRock wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am
StandingRock wrote:
StandingRock wrote:
And by the way, I asked three times to speak to a supervisor or manager level person. Every time they said "OK, we will take your number and name and they will call back in 24 to 48 hours." First of all LOLOLOLOL at that concept. Second of all, I never got any call back from anyone from Vanguard.

AVOID VANGUARD.
Sorry you're having so much trouble. Have you tried secure messaging? It would be quicker for you and might be less frustrating than getting nowhere on the phone.

cj

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:39 pm

I think one of the most irritating things about Vanguard is the inability for the customer to get their concerns bumped up to a higher level of management resolution in a timely fashion. There are no easy numbers to access except for the flagship numbers and the representatives that I have worked with are happy to try to resolve your problem, but not elevate it to a more senior person. I have found that sending a letter to the CEO usually gets a response from someone at a management level to deal with the issue.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:21 pm

clip651 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:32 pm
StandingRock wrote:
StandingRock wrote:
StandingRock wrote:

AVOID VANGUARD.
Sorry you're having so much trouble. Have you tried secure messaging? It would be quicker for you and might be less frustrating than getting nowhere on the phone.

cj
I have not tried that, I really needed to talk through the situation since it has gotten more convoluted and messed up with each passing attempt. I have been as patient as possible but if I can't get advice on my situation from reps for the company itself, then obviously the frustration is going to build and build. It is utterly ridiculous to send a check to the wrong address twice in a row, especially after messing it up once and me explaining carefully for them to correctly address the envelope and overnight it to me (which they said they would do and DID NOT do).

Days turn in to weeks, weeks turn into months, and I have other concerns building up behind this one supposedly simple transaction. Not that they give a you know what.

clip651

Post by clip651 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 pm

StandingRock wrote:
clip651 wrote:

cj
I have not tried that, I really needed to talk through the situation since it has gotten more convoluted and messed up with each passing attempt. I have been as patient as possible but if I can't get advice on my situation from reps for the company itself, then obviously the frustration is going to build and build. It is utterly ridiculous to send a check to the wrong address twice in a row, especially after messing it up once and me explaining carefully for them to correctly address the envelope and overnight it to me (which they said they would do and DID NOT do).

Days turn in to weeks, weeks turn into months, and I have other concerns building up behind this one supposedly simple transaction. Not that they give a you know what.
IMHO, the more convoluted it is, the more important it is to do it in writing, so both sides have a record of what has happened, what is being requested, etc. Be detailed in your request, but also be organized and concise. Take screenshots or otherwise save the text of your messages and replies.

Good luck.
cj

(edited to add, I messed up the quote function a bit here, but hopefully it's easy enough to follow who said what here)

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:30 pm

clip651 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 pm
StandingRock wrote:
clip651 wrote:

cj

IMHO, the more convoluted it is, the more important it is to do it in writing, so both sides have a record of what has happened, what is being requested, etc. Be detailed in your request, but also be organized and concise. Take screenshots or otherwise save the text of your messages and replies.

Good luck.
cj

(edited to add, I messed up the quote function a bit here, but hopefully it's easy enough to follow who said what here)
I agree. This is a good example of something that should now be in writing only with documentation of everything saved. It might be organized documentation of everything presented in a letter to the executive staff would be the thing to do.

It is interesting that Elliott.org does not list company contacts for Vanguard but does for 27 other financial institutions including Fidelity and Schwab. Anyway the suggestion is to start at the written CS contact and over time progressively escalate on the executive ladder if there is no response or unacceptable response. The two caveats are to be polite and not threaten any kind of legal action.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 pm

I've only had to contact Vanguard c/s a few times over the years. It's adequate, but not great.

I wouldn't assume other brokerages are better. Merrill Lynch is worse than Vanguard in my experience.

Surprisingly, the best customer service I've had has been at Wells Fargo, go figure. I'm still keeping my investments at Vanguard.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:23 pm

I got great customer service from Vanguard recently. I moved to them from Wells Fargo Advisors and the transition was seamless. I did have to call regarding the inherited IRA account transfer, but it was a short conversation with a customer support rep to take down account details.

SxSW

Post by SxSW » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:53 pm

StandingRock wrote:
I asked three times to speak to a supervisor or manager level person. Every time they said "OK, we will take your number and name and they will call back in 24 to 48 hours." First of all LOLOLOLOL at that concept. Second of all, I never got any call back from anyone from Vanguard.

AVOID VANGUARD.

Per regulations, written complaints must be addressed at the supervisory level. Make sure you put everything in writing.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:55 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 pm
I've only had to contact Vanguard c/s a few times over the years. It's adequate, but not great.

I wouldn't assume other brokerages are better. Merrill Lynch is worse than Vanguard in my experience.

Surprisingly, the best customer service I've had has been at Wells Fargo, go figure. I'm still keeping my investments at Vanguard.
You sure WF didn't go ahead and move them over for you? :P

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:04 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:55 pm
ClevrChico wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 pm

You sure WF didn't go ahead and move them over for you? :P
Hahah, that might explain it! :-)

fandango

Post by fandango » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Vanguard is pretty good at receiving your money. Never had a problem with that.