Planning as renter : How to rent home, condo for a few months in winter ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Planning as renter : How to rent home, condo for a few months in winter ?

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 am

Folks, just for planning purposes when we may use this information in a few years...getting prepared...

How to rent home, condo for a few months in winter ?

Are the typical Airbnb / vbro the way or there are other ways.

Please chime in if you have some practical knowledge or what worked for you ? so we can learn from you.
Last edited by LiveSimple on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

HomeStretch

Re: Planning : How to rent home, condo for a few months in winter ?

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 am

Will you be the Landlord or the Renter?

Topic Author
LiveSimple

Re: Planning as renter : How to rent home, condo for a few months in winter ?

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:56 am

As a renter, modified the topic as well, thanks...

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 am

Call up private landlords that have a listing and say "hay I am snowbird I only want to rent for 4 months but am willing to pay a premium for this would you rent to me" repeat as necessary eventually one of them will.

Most land lords (myself high in this list) hate winter switches. I have one listed now I knew it might happen cause I gave them month to month after a year lease. We live in a university area no one wants to rent in the winter. So I would for sure consider it.

student

Post by student » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:23 am

Some apartment buildings have short term lease and some even have furnished units.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 am

Along with Airbnb, VRBO and the like, many snowbird destinations have realtors that specialize in this type of rental.

Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:01 am

bob60014 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 am
Along with Airbnb, VRBO and the like, many snowbird destinations have realtors that specialize in this type of rental.
Nice to know !!!

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:15 pm

LiveSimple wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 am
Are the typical Airbnb / vbro the way or there are other ways.

Please chime in if you have some practical knowledge or what worked for you ? so we can learn from you.
A big problem with trying to use VRBO or any other place that rents by the day or week is that you need to make a reservation like this very early. The reason is that if someone has already reserved the property for just one night then it would not have been available for your extended stay. The owner may also want to use the property for the week of Christmas.

Last year I needed a place to stay for six weeks while I took a class. When I contacted the owner of a VRBO property I was able to get a rate at about a third of their daily rate which was a lot lower than the online quotes for an extended stay. I made my reservation about eight months ahead of the class when I first signed up for the class.

The owner did not have to check in people or clean the place between people and they did not have any vacancies so it was a win/win deal. I am not 100% sure but I think the owner took a trip for part of the time I was in the rental which would have been hard for her to do if people were checking in and out.

Part of the savings was that there was a local hotel tax for any stays that were less than 30 days. I did not have to pay that but that was not reflected in the online automatic quote so you really need to contact the owner to get the best price.

I also had to give them a significant deposit which became non-refundable about 6 or 8 weeks before my stay. That was reasonable since if I cancelled at the last minute they would have had a lot of vacancies.

I also know someone that rents a condo for a month or two in Florida each winter. These are huge tall building on the beach with hundreds of units. I don't know all the details but she will research properties when she is down there to pick out where she wants to stay the next year if she wants to change buildings. My impression is that the property management company that is on site handles a lot of the condo rentals so that she has someone local to deal with if she has a problem. In the area she stays monthly rentals are very common.

If it is practicable I would suggest that you just go to the area where you want to stay for a week or two vacation to pick out the place that you want to rent for several months the next year.

GiannaLuna

Post by GiannaLuna » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:34 pm

There are websites that cater to extended rental stays for travelling nurses and other health professionals. Many are furnished stays.

I have seen notations on these sites that they rent to other professionals as well - I think the point is they want responsible people, lol

Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks a lot on the notes...here...

matthewmon

Post by matthewmon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:25 pm

What location do you want to rent in? My 2 bedroom ocean front beach condo in NC rents for over $1,700 a week during the summer but for only $1600 a month during November to March...which is super cheap for a 400k 2 bedroom condo right on the ocean. Yeah the water is too cold to go in but it's nice just looking out at the beautiful ocean if that's something you are interested in. Units not as nice or one bedrooms are available for even cheaper.

I would call one or two of the biggest real estate businesses in the location you want to rent in and ask for a list of off-season monthly rentals.