[Tesla truck]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nate79

Re: [Tesla truck]

Post by Nate79 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 am

Looks like some video gamer designed it after playing Halo.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 am

Nate79 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 am
Looks like some video gamer designed it after playing Halo.
In 8 bit 🤪

Curious though, that BHs, who I would assume would stress function over form, have commented so much more on appearance than value. If they can hold close to the reported prices and performance, it’s a winner.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:03 am

I'm finding either people really like the way it looks or they really don't. I don't but I'll likely never buy a Tesla so my opinion doesn't matter.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:04 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 am
Curious though, that BHs, who I would assume would stress function over form, have commented so much more on appearance than value. If they can hold close to the reported prices and performance, it’s a winner.
BHs are not exactly the types that drive the new car market though. I wonder how much here own trucks considering the added expense of extra metal, non-Japanese brands, and worse MPGs. When people here are paying $21k plus TTL for a 2020 Camry... yeah, you're not getting a very good truck for that kind of money. Add about $15k and you get something reasonable.

I don't mean this as a sleight, but like they say when you give a speech.... "know your audience..."

I'll reserve judgement on this truck until production units are reviewed on Youtube. The 1/2 ton Truck market is hyper competitive, and it's a constant p****** contest to out-do each other every year (look at the ads). It's great for consumers though and encourages improvement over stagnation.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:20 am

What I really want is something between an ATV and a full sized pickup. I had hoped that this would be sized more like a Model 3/Y, with only a front bench and a bed. My Model X has lots of life left in it, but it’s mostly driven with 5 empty seats.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 am

kilkoyne wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:03 am
I'm finding either people really like the way it looks or they really don't. I don't but I'll likely never buy a Tesla so my opinion doesn't matter.
I haven't talked to a single person yet who liked the way it looked, granted that has been maybe 15 people in the last 2 days. How ugly it is was one of the primary topics of conversation at our "friendsgiving" celebration last night. My wife thought it was a joke, she didn't believe it was the actual vehicle.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 am

Specs say rear wheel drive. No available 4 wheel drive would be a show stopper for me. Otherwise looks like an awesome truck.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:53 am

SpringMan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 am
Specs say rear wheel drive. No available 4 wheel drive would be a show stopper for me. Otherwise looks like an awesome truck.
There is a RWD version, and two AWD versions (a dual motor and a tri motor version).

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:55 am

My young kids gave the Cybertruck a big thumbs down. I think that says something.

Hopefully Tesla adjusts the final design. (I expect they will.) Maybe it looks better in person.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:02 am

Tesla is using cold rolled stainless steel. It's too thick to form into three dimensional curves. It allows them to remove the inside frame and move the structure to the exterior of the vehicle. You get a very sturdy exterior capable of taking hits, and won't scratch or rust. It's also very low weight compared to a typical design. But the trade off is you also need to use straight lines, not curves.

The truck is a design compromise: low weight, high power, efficient, long range, and very capable (120 Volt, 220 Volt and an air compressor). Tesla decided those capabilities were worth the trade-off to make it ugly.

/

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:02 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 am
kilkoyne wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:03 am
I haven't talked to a single person yet who liked the way it looked, granted that has been maybe 15 people in the last 2 days. How ugly it is was one of the primary topics of conversation at our "friendsgiving" celebration last night. My wife thought it was a joke, she didn't believe it was the actual vehicle.
Tesla is reporting +/-150,000 people have already put down a deposit.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/23/tes ... -deposits/

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:16 am

Cool that it has an air compressor powered by the batteries. Tire got a slow leak? No problem anymore.

hicabob

Re: I'm thinking DeLorean, aren't you?

Post by hicabob » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:19 am

Wricha wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50 am
My initial thought it was is a bad knock off of an el Camino (which itself was awful). DeLorean is also a good bet.
I don’t think I’d buy a bulletproof vest from Musk.
A friend of mine has just finished restoring a 70's El Camino doing his own work and spending 15k or so in the process but ending up with an immaculate old car-truck.
Not my choice but taste varies. “Don't be cool. Like everything.”

Topic Author
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Lo and behold, my brother put down a reservation.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:54 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:47 pm
Lo and behold, my brother put down a reservation.
Yeah, I did too. It’s only $100, and you have a couple of years to change your mind.

-ryan-

Post by -ryan- » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:03 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:53 am
SpringMan wrote:
There is a RWD version, and two AWD versions (a dual motor and a tri motor version).
That's the piece to the pricing puzzle that I think makes their '$39,900' an apples to oranges comparison to what the average truck buyer is after. Like I said upthread, it's a cool concept, but if you want a 2WD pickup that can tow 7500 pounds, just get a Ford Ranger for $24,000. I do see this truck as being more of a status symbol than anything else, and I don't doubt they will sell, but I do doubt that they will be competing in the same market as traditional pickup trucks. I reserve the right to be wrong in my predictions though.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Presintense wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:01 am
CULater wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:29 am
New Tesla.

Has the Cult of Tesla finally gone too far?
Horrible. I’d take a DeLorean, Hummer, Gremlin, Aztec, etc. over this any day.
Definitely take a Gremlin over this ugliness.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:18 pm

What size battery would be needed for 500 miles? Did they mention? If not, I'm guessing around 175kwh - 200kwh?? I'm assuming they'd use the 2170 cells.

I

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:00 pm

-ryan- wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:03 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
SpringMan wrote:
That's the piece to the pricing puzzle that I think makes their '$39,900' an apples to oranges comparison to what the average truck buyer is after. Like I said upthread, it's a cool concept, but if you want a 2WD pickup that can tow 7500 pounds, just get a Ford Ranger for $24,000. I do see this truck as being more of a status symbol than anything else, and I don't doubt they will sell, but I do doubt that they will be competing in the same market as traditional pickup trucks. I reserve the right to be wrong in my predictions though.
A couple of data points:
I don’t want a 2WD Ford. Is there an AWD EV pickup available from Ford?
I just told my wife I put a deposit on a very ugly Tesla pickup truck. She looked at it and said she didn’t mind the way it looks. Go figure.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Until proven otherwise, this whole thing is a publicity stunt. Including the broken glass, and definitely the $100 deposits for a truck that isn't made yet. This guy throws whatever he wants at investors to see what sticks - there's so much loose money floating around that it works.

See also:
  • SpaceX - Interplanetary Transport System
  • SpaceX - Mars Oasis, a project to land a miniature experimental greenhouse and grow plants on Mars
  • Boring Company - Tunnel to travel from LAX to Westwood in 5 minutes
  • Boring Company - Hyperloop connecting New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.
  • SolarCity - Tesla Solar Roof
Is this truck thing securities fraud? Basically it is not. They may produce trucks. The "ballistic" glass, the price, the big tires, the ramp, and even the shape itself will all go away and they'll make a basic looking truck. They could also use economic circumstances to justify not releasing anything.

Those who don't follow the car industry may not know there's a long history of concept cars that never get released. Design and specs are rationalized for cost purposes, safety standards are applied, and the manufacturing process winds up normalizing the concept.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:13 pm

ladders11 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Until proven otherwise, this whole thing is a publicity stunt. Including the broken glass, and definitely the $100 deposits for a truck that isn't made yet. This guy throws whatever he wants at investors to see what sticks - there's so much loose money floating around that it works.

See also:
  • SpaceX - Mars Oasis, a project to land a miniature experimental greenhouse and grow plants on Mars
  • Boring Company - Hyperloop connecting New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.
Is this truck thing securities fraud? Basically it is not. They may produce trucks. The "ballistic" glass, the price, the big tires, the ramp, and even the shape itself will all go away and they'll make a basic looking truck. They could also use economic circumstances to justify not releasing anything.

Those who don't follow the car industry may not know there's a long history of concept cars that never get released. Design and specs are rationalized for cost purposes, safety standards are applied, and the manufacturing process winds up normalizing the concept.
I've been thinking that too, especially with the second glass window breaking. The guy barley lobbed it at the glass and it still broke. My friend thinks it was a setup too.

essbeer

Post by essbeer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm

I think it looks great, but it also looks enormous. Where is a city dweller supposed to park this thing?

z0r

Post by z0r » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:30 pm

tesla s/x are already pretty outsize (almost as wide as an f150): 196-198" long 77-79" wide. I already wouldn't want to be parallel parking one without the synthetic overhead view you can get on many cars now

truck is 231" long 80" wide, it's going to fit fewer parking spots than s/x by length but the tesla crowd is already used to about this width, so they'll manage
Last edited by z0r on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:32 pm

75% of truck owners use their truck for towing once a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70% of truck owners go off-road once a year or less. And a full 35% of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed- once a year or less.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/you ... oy-costume

While I think the cowboy/gal outfit might apply to the office worker driving an f-150, I think a daft punk space suit might be more applicable to the person interested in the Pontiac aztek or Tesla truck
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 pm

essbeer wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm
I think it looks great, but it also looks enormous. Where is a city dweller supposed to park this thing?
In the suburbs.

Edit: the same place city dwellers are supposed to park their cars
Last edited by Cycle on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Call me skeptical that Tesla has confirmed the towing specs using something like SAE J2807.

scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:17 pm

I actually kind of like the design, and at least it's different than all of the other trucks out there. Also the base price is pretty good as pickup trucks are pretty expensive to my understanding. I'm also a bit curious if the body will be scratch/dent/rust resistant. With that said, I've never owned a truck and probably never will, so my opinion is of little use to Tesla.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:19 pm

squirm wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:13 pm
ladders11 wrote:

See also:

I've been thinking that too, especially with the second glass window breaking. The guy barley lobbed it at the glass and it still broke. My friend thinks it was a setup too.
I honestly think it was a set up also. I am doubtful this will pan out as they are saying. However, in the event that they can provide the dual motor (4wd) with the towing capacity they state, AND the thing will actually fit into my garage, the pricing they advertised in a 3-4 year period then I will consider it. I did put the $100 down which also seemed more like a gimmick to get determine real interest. But not holding my breath, but since I've been wrong about lots of things, figured I could live with putting a $100 refundable deposit down just in case.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:31 pm

IMO wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:19 pm
squirm wrote:
ladders11 wrote:

See also:

I honestly think it was a set up also. I am doubtful this will pan out as they are saying. However, in the event that they can provide the dual motor (4wd) with the towing capacity they state, AND the thing will actually fit into my garage, the pricing they advertised in a 3-4 year period then I will consider it. I did put the $100 down which also seemed more like a gimmick to get determine real interest. But not holding my breath, but since I've been wrong about lots of things, figured I could live with putting a $100 refundable deposit down just in case.
If Tesla can deliver those specs then it's a game changer. I'm not a huge fan of the looks but if it makes other companies come out with cheaper electric cars and trucks then I'm all for it.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:00 pm

This looks like a truck I drew in the second grade. I have prior art. I'll sue. :happy

-ryan-

Post by -ryan- » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
-ryan- wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:03 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
SpringMan wrote:
A couple of data points:
I don’t want a 2WD Ford. Is there an AWD EV pickup available from Ford?
I just told my wife I put a deposit on a very ugly Tesla pickup truck. She looked at it and said she didn’t mind the way it looks. Go figure.
Thanks for the feedback! Here's some data points for you:

1) The EV Ford F-150 is slated to come out in 2021. We will have to wait and see if that is accurate. Either way doesn't matter because:
2) I'm not a big ford fan. I've recovered from being a ford fan after a bad experience with their product. I also wouldn't want a 2wd ford because:
3) A 2wd pickup is useless to me. I need 4wd.

I'm just pointing out that the claim that their truck is affordable compared to full-size gas pickup trucks is facetious. But there isn't anything wrong with that, and I'm sure that as long as you are planning on getting the AWD version you will be happy with it. Most people seem very satisfied with their Tesla products. I will prefer to wait on the sidelines with my trusty little pickup and see how they pan out.

Stupendous

Post by Stupendous » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:06 pm

If I was going to spend $70K on a truck I'd go buy a 1 ton DRW. The sail pillar looks like it would make towing a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer impossible. I would not want to bumper pull 14,000lbs.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:05 am

I have no use for a truck. I like my cars to be small and nimble. I will not be a buyer, but I'm glad Tesla is pushing the boundaries of design. Not only that but it is not a body on frame vehicle. To me, that is the most remarkable thing. While other cars are like a skeleton with flesh on the outside, the Cybertruck is more like an egg, more like an ostrich egg because it seems to have a strong exoskeleton.

bligh

Post by bligh » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:52 am

I felt like it is targeted as the Hummer for the new generation. It lets you be macho and tough without losing your green credentials.

I can see the same people who drive Hummers, H2s, Suburbans and F-150s in the suburbs picking these up. I could also see preppers loving a truck like this. There will be plenty of families that decide to buy these just to keep their kids safe. :D No clue how people who use their trucks for actual work will respond to it though.

I think if they gave it a matte black finish it would look really mean and "commando"ish. It has a certain muscular, futuristic, sci-fi, brutal ruggedness to it. Personally, I don't think I am the type to be able to pull it off. Also, I do have a few concerns about it :

1) If they do launch it with that un painted steel look, it is going to be a glare hazard to other drivers in sunny places. I hope they paint that thing before selling it.
2) If the body IS the frame, when it gets into an accident where it gets damaged, wont that also mean frame damage? So, will that mean a huge hit to the resale value? Also will that mean super expensive/difficult to repair?
3) In a collision if that car has no crumple zone.. what impact will that have on the safety of the car it is tearing into? ie. Will all of us non-cybertruck drivers be at greater risk now?
4) If you are in a collision where you are trapped in that vehicle.. you know, like the ones where they have to cut through the wreckage.. will emergency responders still be able to get to you?

Alice Ranch

Post by Alice Ranch » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:12 am

Looks fitting for the aggressive driving we see on our roads in bay area :shock:

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:52 pm

Well, here's the math on the Tesla truck, F-150 pull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Spoiler: it proves that the Tesla is heavier. Such technology. Bet they built it with kilograms instead of pounds, making it much technical. No need to point out that the F-150 was only rear wheel drive.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

z0r

Post by z0r » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm

yeah, and if it gets a rematch it'll be against the ford electric f-150 which might just launch sooner than this thing

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:15 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:50 am
anonsdca wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:53 am
I don't think that's the target base on this initial offering.
What is the target base?
1) People who want to be flashy
2) People who want to be different
3) People who want attention
+1

Topic Author
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Alice Ranch wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:12 am
Looks fitting for the aggressive driving we see on our roads in bay area :shock:
Bay Area drivers are saints compared to NYC drivers.

seychellois_lib

Re: Talk me out of buying a Tesla Model 3

Post by seychellois_lib » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:11 am

squirm wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:54 pm
fareastwarriors wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:27 pm
Wow that "truck" is ugly.

I kept hoping Elon was kidding and bring out an actual truck but nope.

And the broken windows! :oops: :oops: :oops:
It's the Aztec's less attractive cousin.

I'm not sure how this is suppose to be used as a truck with high the bed sides. Impossible to lift anything out or in of the bed from the sides.
Why the need for bullet proof windows and panels is beyond me, maybe for bragging purposes? A niche product, I guess.

I like Tesla's and recommended their cars until they started nerfing their batteries, but this demonstration last night was just a total disaster. Even if you're a fanboy you'd have to admit it was bad.
Most of the huge trucks I see around my area are not used as trucks really. They are showboats and coal rollers for folks who take out huge, long term, loans they can not afford and are underwater mid term. I have to admit, the makers have done an amazing marketing job. I understand many of the loans are being securitized...I wonder who will be blamed this time when it all goes bust.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:18 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:10 pm
If the specs and pricing are not fantasyland, it would be the best value in the full-size truck segment by a mile.
Indeed! People buy vehicles for various reasons, but most likely the price and value have the most impact. We got a Tesla not really for the acceleration (we keep it almost always on "chill") nor for the "green" aspect (although having it "filled up" at home is quite nice), but looking at the total cost of ownership for the features/functionality, the Model 3 was much better compared to other cars both EV and ICE.

Others are probably quite practical in making a decision to buy a Tesla truck for the great value as well assuming Tesla is able to make that $40k version. Although one potential criticism is Model 3 has the "premium interior" differences, and it's unclear if Tesla starts removing things like the on-board 240v outlets and built-in locked storage, etc., but at least so far, it looks like the only differences across Cybertruck trims are range and motors.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:52 pm

hicabob wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:19 am
Wricha wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50 am
My initial thought it was is a bad knock off of an el Camino (which itself was awful). DeLorean is also a good bet.
I don’t think I’d buy a bulletproof vest from Musk.
A friend of mine has just finished restoring a 70's El Camino doing his own work and spending 15k or so in the process but ending up with an immaculate old car-truck.
Not my choice but taste varies. “Don't be cool. Like everything.”
Brave man your friend. I am often glad people don’t like what I do otherwise it would be crowded.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Cycle wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 pm
essbeer wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm
In the suburbs.

Edit: the same place city dwellers are supposed to park their cars
We're out in the suburbs and wouldn't get this truck or any truck for the same reason: it wouldn't fit in our garage and we have little use for a truck. But that shouldn't be surprising as at least for new vehicles in the US 2018, truck sales were ~20%, sedans ~30% and SUVs ~50%; so clearly trucks are not for everyone. But who knows, Tesla seems to have managed to sell sedans while the rest of the industry is seeing declining sales of that body type, so maybe Tesla can get people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in cars or trucks to purchase those types of vehicles.

I guess that gets us back to essbeer's original point of are people who wouldn't otherwise drive a truck get this and be stuck with a large vehicle that might be trickier to park?

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm

I showed hubby an edited version of the launch video while we were waiting for our flu shots and told him this might be my next vehicle, just probably not the Gen 1 model. We are rural and own a 'redneck limo' (F350 crewcab diesel dually) but I have been bitterly disappointed in the mechanical issues the F350 has had with well under 100K miles on it and regular, loving maintenance. Plus the mileage is abysmal, which means we tend to only use it when we need to haul or carry something REALLY large or heavy.

Admittedly my vehicular requirements are not the norm, but the Tesla truck would check a bunch of otherwise disparate boxes, i.e. give me an efficient commuter vehicle for the week, while allowing me to tow a 2 horse trailer to local venues and do modest materials-procurement runs on the weekends, while still smoking the occasional irritating BMW driver. The dually could remain the workhorse for longer/heavier loads.

Hubby's response was basically that he didn't think the Cybertruck was 'real'. May have been a more polite way of saying 'too fugly to build' which, I have to admit, it is verging on. I know Musk doesn't believe in marketing, but hopefully his designers will persuade him to do a wee bit of market research on the looks before the dang thing goes live.

My only question is; if it's too big to fit in a standard household garage, how do you charge it??
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm

BarbaricYawp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm
My only question is; if it's too big to fit in a standard household garage, how do you charge it??
In NJ, I had a driveway but not a useable garage. I had my charger installed outdoors. No problem in any weather.

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:43 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm
BarbaricYawp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm
In NJ, I had a driveway but not a useable garage. I had my charger installed outdoors. No problem in any weather.
I guess that is a possibility. In my area we sometimes lose transformers due to suicidal squirrels or snakes but the charging stations seem pretty sealed.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:51 pm

emoore wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:31 pm
IMO wrote:
squirm wrote:
ladders11 wrote:

See also:

If Tesla can deliver those specs then it's a game changer. I'm not a huge fan of the looks but if it makes other companies come out with cheaper electric cars and trucks then I'm all for it.
Yeah, it will show once and for all how much of a niche market an EV truck really is.

Think about this: If a regular Tesla goes into "limp mode" after one lap of full-throttle driving around a race track, how would a truck like this fare when pulling a 10k trailer up a mountain? It would "limp" after the first couple miles of climbing. Pull over, wait for the thing to cool itself down, drive another mile or two. Pull over...

The quoted instantaneous towing capacity looks great since electric motors have huge torque but I'm pretty sure the batteries would melt into a puddle under real world use.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:10 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:51 pm
emoore wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:31 pm
IMO wrote:
squirm wrote:
ladders11 wrote:

See also:

Yeah, it will show once and for all how much of a niche market an EV truck really is.

Think about this: If a regular Tesla goes into "limp mode" after one lap of full-throttle driving around a race track, how would a truck like this fare when pulling a 10k trailer up a mountain? It would "limp" after the first couple miles of climbing. Pull over, wait for the thing to cool itself down, drive another mile or two. Pull over...

The quoted instantaneous towing capacity looks great since electric motors have huge torque but I'm pretty sure the batteries would melt into a puddle under real world use.
Good points. We have an ev and going up the mountains to get home it really chews through the range quickly. I can't imagine what kw is required to tow a 5th wheel uphill with terrible areodynamics and in the cold/snow.

However since Tesla is prototyping bigrigs I would think taking this into account... Or maybe not...

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Somebody already mentioned upthread that the SAE J2807 tow rating will be what potential customers who actually tow significant loads long distances will want to look at. It might not be the same as what they current list on their website.

Meanwhile, a lot of people buy expensive pickups to haul around a couple dirt bikes, a small boat, or occasional patio furniture, or just to look flashy.

While I'm looking at it as primarily a curiosity that doesn't meet the needs we had for a pickup when I lived on my parents' farm, I have to remind myself that most of the people who own pickups seldom, if ever, use them anywhere near their maximum capacity.

So there no doubt are a lot of people out there whose needs this vehicle would meet.

Who knows when it will happen, though, and what the price will be. They are currently saying 2021. Plugging this into the Musk Time Converter (Stated Time Interval x 2), that translates to 2023.

If the release is handled the same way as the Model 3, then the $39,900 version will not be available for about 18 months after first delivery. They would start, and I think this is reasonable from a business standpoint, with only delivering higher spec packages in order to keep up their cash flow - perhaps starting with the $49,900 version with $5-10k of additional options.

I'm still trying to decide how realistic a $39,900 version is.

Bloomberg published a survey a few weeks ago of 5,000 Model 3 owners that indicated the average selling price of the Model 3 is around $50,000. If Tesla is not making clear profits on $50,000 cars (hence why they don't seem eager to the promote the $35,000 version of the 3), then they have a lot of work to do before they make a larger vehicle for $10,000 less.

That said, the F-150 average selling price is estimated by Kelley Blue Book at $47,000, so it does not appear to me that actually achieving sub-$40k pricing is critical to the Tesla pickup's business case.

Post by 1789 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:55 pm

It looks very ugly. Is this really a truck or a vehicle looking to promote a new definition of what a truck is?
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)