Airport Extreme Wireless router with Spectrum

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GS

Airport Extreme Wireless router with Spectrum

Post by GS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:33 pm

I am having Spectrum internet service installed. They are installing a Spectrum/Wireless router combo. I want to have 2 separate wireless networks- one for TV streaming and one for internet surfing. Can I plug my Airport Extreme router into an ethernet port on the spectrum modem router and use both wireless networks as long as they are on different channels?

HomeStretch

Re: Airport Extreme Wireless router with Spectrum

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:46 pm

Have you considered just using the AirPort Extreme (until Apple ends support for this discontinued product) and setting up a second (guest) network on it?

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:50 pm

GS wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:33 pm
I am having Spectrum internet service installed. They are installing a Spectrum/Wireless router combo. I want to have 2 separate wireless networks- one for TV streaming and one for internet surfing. Can I plug my Airport Extreme router into an ethernet port on the spectrum modem router and use both wireless networks as long as they are on different channels?
I'm just curious as to why?

Usually people isolate wireless networks for security. They may put smart home devices on one network, set up a guest network for visitors and then a personal wireless network for their own use.

Usually when you don't use the provided cable modem router as a wifi device you set it to bridge mode and use your own personal device for wifi. I haven't tried to do what you are asking but you might run into trouble. I can't see any advantages to it since you are sharing the same "pipe" but maybe I'm missing something.

Also the Airport Extreme is getting old. I"ve had one and while its was rock solid, I finally retired it.

I know you can disable the cable modem wifi and use the guest network feature of the Extreme to have a second network, that I know works.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:18 pm

GS wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:33 pm
I have two networks working off my Spectum modem, plugging into one of the modem's Ethernet ports. One problem I've experienced is when I go from the area of one network to the area covered better by the second network, my devices switch networks autoatically, so I end up with my phone, laptop or tablet on one network and my printer on the other, so I when I want to print, I have to manually switch networks to get both devices on the same network. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind when you hit "Print" and nothing happens.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi