Credit freezes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nittany_Lion

Credit freezes

Post by Nittany_Lion » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:32 am

Hi Folks,

Some free credit-monitoring from a prior breach, which allowed me to lock my credit reports, is coming to an end in a few days (Experian alerted me to this with an 11:50 PM email on Thanksgiving night, perhaps hoping that it would be lost in the rush of Black Friday advertisements). Once the service ends, the locked credit reports automatically unlock.

According to the FTC web page, consumers are entitled to a free credit freeze from each of the three bureaus, irrespective of whether they were affected by any of the recent breaches. I called Equifax first and was confronted with a series of questions that were initially straightforward, but transitioned into things I doubt most people would remember, such as my monthly car payment from ten years ago. Having failed that question, I was told my only option was to "mail them documents."

Does anyone have any experience with initiating a credit freeze? Is it common for them to ask questions most people can't answer? My recollection from having established monitoring after an earlier breach, which enables a lock, was that the questions were simple: a list of addresses, one of which you haven't lived at; a list of past cars you financed; etc.

Any insights, advice, or information would be appreciated. My report will be unlocked on Tuesday.

NL

feehater

Re: Credit freezes

Post by feehater » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am

Sounds like you got unlucky with an unreasonably hard question. I've recently been able to freeze and unfreeze my credit on the three bureaus' websites without too much hassle. The hardest part is avoiding all the crap they're trying to sell you and finding the actual place to freeze it. Note that a freeze is what you want, not any other term like a hold or a lock.

I wouldn't worry too much about a short lapse, as long as the eventual end result is frozen credit and maybe some free monitoring from credit karma. Definitely don't give in and pay experian for one of their scam services!

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 am

My wife had the same issue with Equifax. She was able to put the credit freeze with the other 2 but Equifax didn't like the answers. We have mailed the documents recently and waiting for a response

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:06 am

Useful info here: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/09/cre ... age-begin/
It is now free in every U.S. state to freeze and unfreeze your credit file and that of your dependents, a process that blocks identity thieves and others from looking at private details in your consumer credit history. If you’ve been holding out because you’re not particularly worried about ID theft, here’s another reason to reconsider: The credit bureaus profit from selling copies of your file to others, so freezing your file also lets you deny these dinosaurs a valuable revenue stream.

cas

Post by cas » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am

I've found it useful to have copies of my credit report in front of me when trying to answer the security questions. Unless it has changed recently, they are pulling questions from information that you can see in the credit report.

(Except for when their computer programs apparently can't find enough information of the sort it is looking for in the credit report and starts spitting up a whole slate of questions for which the answer is "None of the above." Then it won't proceed when you accurately answer "None of the above" for all the questions. This is probably a correct action from a security point of view (too great a hit rate if scammers went through massive numbers of accounts answering "None of the above") but it is greatly aggravating. Just try entering "none of the above" into the Bogleheads forum search and see how many people have gotten aggravated/confused enough to post about the behavior.)

The official source for the free annual credit report is posted in this article by the Federal Trade Commission (which I give because it is to an official .gov web site. If you just google "free credit report" there are too many impostors.):
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... it-reports

(You might be able to get a copy of your credit report(s) for free via the credit lock service that is expiring.)

Of course, the problem is that they also ask questions before you can get your credit report. If you try to get the credit report via the online method, and it says it won't give it to you until you send them sensitive information, you can try the automated phone method, and it will often meekly comply. (However, it sends the report to your most recent address known to the credit report, so if you've moved within the last couple of years, there could be problems.)

Having said all that, my experience when placing the freeze online was that, for some of the credit agencies, the questions were too easy/guess-able and that it would be possible for a fraudster to grab the credit freeze for himself. Given that you say the questions were too hard, maybe that really was happening too much, so they changed the questioning method.
Last edited by cas on Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am

Nittany_Lion wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:32 am
Hi Folks,

Some free credit-monitoring from a prior breach, which allowed me to lock my credit reports, is coming to an end in a few days (Experian alerted me to this with an 11:50 PM email on Thanksgiving night, perhaps hoping that it would be lost in the rush of Black Friday advertisements). Once the service ends, the locked credit reports automatically unlock.

According to the FTC web page, consumers are entitled to a free credit freeze from each of the three bureaus, irrespective of whether they were affected by any of the recent breaches. I called Equifax first and was confronted with a series of questions that were initially straightforward, but transitioned into things I doubt most people would remember, such as my monthly car payment from ten years ago. Having failed that question, I was told my only option was to "mail them documents."

Does anyone have any experience with initiating a credit freeze? Is it common for them to ask questions most people can't answer? My recollection from having established monitoring after an earlier breach, which enables a lock, was that the questions were simple: a list of addresses, one of which you haven't lived at; a list of past cars you financed; etc.

Any insights, advice, or information would be appreciated. My report will be unlocked on Tuesday.

NL
There are tons of information on credit freezing with personal experiences available, including many, many threads here on this website. Credit freezes have been free for the entire country for well over a year now, and in some states have been free for decades. Aside from the occasional information verification hiccups, freezes are generally easy to initiate and to thaw when needed. It does cause some hassle if you do something that requires credit access, because you have to go to the applicable bureau website(s) first. Keep you PINs handy. Avoid the sales pitches for various bureau products, monitoring, etc. plastered all over the websites.

You may need or benefit from having online accounts at each bureau so you can login and initiate your thawing. Also, bookmark the website needed for freeze access. Unfreezing or thawing via phone is possible, but sounds like a huge hassle if you need to talk a real person.

I don't bother with the company offered "locks" in lieu of "freezes." These are separate from the laws requiring freezing, which is why companies offer them. If you don't have IRS or SSN online access, you may wish to get this before freezing Equifax. Also, you *may* have to thaw for some soft pulls like opening a new bank account online.

And don't forget to freeze CHEX SYSTEMS and INNOVIS.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am

I got the same email. I selected the free credit monitoring option from the Equifax data breach settlement. I dont know when that begins. So I'll be without credit monitoring from when this one expires until that one commences. I've never used credit karma. Is it worth signing up to get credit monitoring for that interim period?

AAA

Post by AAA » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:38 am

When Pennsylvania passed a law mandating that the bureaus allow freezes for its citizens, it stipulated a period of seven years for the freeze. Legislation has been under consideration to change that to permanent, but it appears to be languishing in the legislature for several years. I am wondering, however, if (a) there has been any federal legislation that would make the freezes permanent (unless the customer requests otherwise) for everyone or (b) is it the credit bureaus' policy that freezes are actually permanent even for PA residents?

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:44 pm

AAA wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:38 am
When Pennsylvania passed a law mandating that the bureaus allow freezes for its citizens, it stipulated a period of seven years for the freeze. Legislation has been under consideration to change that to permanent, but it appears to be languishing in the legislature for several years. I am wondering, however, if (a) there has been any federal legislation that would make the freezes permanent (unless the customer requests otherwise) for everyone or (b) is it the credit bureaus' policy that freezes are actually permanent even for PA residents?
Permanent credit freeze requests are permanent (or until you remove the freeze), no matter what state you live in at the moment. You may temporarily thaw the freeze to get a new credit card, insurance, etc.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:37 pm

The questions can vary from simple to things most people would not remember. I have had several where all of the answers were none of the above.. You might try again online. Clark Howard has extensive posts on credit freezes. It’s scary to send sensitive docs through the mail, but sometimes it’s necessary.

Snail mail examples

https://clark.com/personal-finance-cred ... it-freeze/

https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/
Remember to setup your my social security account and a credit karma and/or credit sesame account before freezing.

AAA

Post by AAA » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Permanent credit freeze requests are permanent (or until you remove the freeze), no matter what state you live in at the moment.
I can't argue with that, but for PA residents they are not permanent, just valid for seven years.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:56 pm

AAA wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Permanent credit freeze requests are permanent (or until you remove the freeze), no matter what state you live in at the moment.
I can't argue with that, but for PA residents they are not permanent, just valid for seven years.
That's clearly some shady work by PA lawmakers in response to lobbying by the credit bureaus and credit issuers. No reason for it to be lifted unless and until you want it to be lifted. It may not do much good, but I think you should write your general assembly rep.

WhyNotKnow

Post by WhyNotKnow » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:01 pm

https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/doc ... s-list.pdf

A list of consumer reporting companies.
I have mine frozen at six agencies including ChexSystems and an agency that allows cell phone service providers to bypass the Big Three and get your credit report.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:20 am

AAA wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 pm
criticalmass wrote:
See PL 115-174 (2018) which supersedes PA law. Which PA statue are you referring to?

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:30 am

WhyNotKnow wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:01 pm
https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/doc ... s-list.pdf

A list of consumer reporting companies.
I have mine frozen at six agencies including ChexSystems and an agency that allows cell phone service providers to bypass the Big Three and get your credit report.
I never knew about all these companies. Thank you for posting. But I hate that I want to check every single one of them now...

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:03 am

Most financial pundits do not recommend paying for credit monitoring. A credit freeze plus credit karma and/or credit sesame is the preferred method of avoiding identity theft.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:15 am

I did a credit lock with all three. Not a big deal.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 am

squirm wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:15 am
Credit locks are not all free (I believe at least one of the big three charges a monthly fee), and are not required by law to protect your data. Freezes are free and required by law to keep your data safe. The only advantage I've heard of for credit lock is that it may be easier to lock / unlock, although I've never had a problem temporarily lifting a freeze at all three. I think it might have taken me 15 minutes the last time I did it.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:30 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:20 am
See PL 115-174 (2018) which supersedes PA law. Which PA statue are you referring to?
I checked out the federal law you referenced and it contains the following language:

(3) Removal of security freeze.--
``(A) In general.--A consumer reporting agency shall
remove a security freeze placed on the consumer report
of a consumer only in the following cases:
``(i) Upon the direct request of the consumer.
``(ii) The security freeze was placed due to a
material misrepresentation of fact by the
consumer.

The bill under consideration in PA is HB270, introduced by Rep. Driscoll, and contains the following (existing) language but I was told that the If the legislation passes the words that are in bold will be removed from statute.

Section 3. Security freeze.
(d) Duration of freeze.--A security freeze shall:
(1) remain in place [until the earlier of], except as
provided under section 7(a); or
(2) be removed within three business days from the date
the consumer reporting agency receives a request from the
consumer to remove the security freeze [or until seven years
from the date that the security freeze was put in place by
the consumer reporting agency
] in accordance with this act.

I guess that's to get the PA law in compliance with the federal law. If the latter supersedes PA law that would be great. Does it already do that or do we have to wait for the PA law to pass (previous attempts at removing the 7 year limitation languished in the PA Senate)?

Pax

Post by Pax » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Related to the subject.... Coincidentally, this morning I put a freeze on 2 of the Credit Report companies. Only 2 because, when trying to set up using Experian's website, I fat-fingered one of the verification questions and now they want me to send them a letter with some basic documentation to proceed.
I wonder if I could wait a week or two and try again online instead of having to mail stuff.
Any ideas on this?
Thanks!

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Some useful information in this thread, including the Krebs on Security link. :thumbsup

Prior ignorance on my part, but I personally learned the difference between a credit lock and a credit freeze just this weekend. :( I have long had freezes in place at the Big 3 agencies. I also have a free subscription to Experian's IDnotify service, thanks to a previous security breach. Bank of America needed to do a soft pull for a new bank account that I wanted to open for cash bonus reasons, and I mistakenly thought that I could just quickly unlock it while at the branch, on the handy IDnotify app. Wrong. This had no impact on the freeze. I had to go home and unfreeze Experian using the normal PIN approach.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 am
squirm wrote:
Credit locks are not all free (I believe at least one of the big three charges a monthly fee), and are not required by law to protect your data. Freezes are free and required by law to keep your data safe. The only advantage I've heard of for credit lock is that it may be easier to lock / unlock, although I've never had a problem temporarily lifting a freeze at all three. I think it might have taken me 15 minutes the last time I did it.
Just saying, The big three didn't charge me.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:06 pm

squirm wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:27 pm
Horsefly wrote:
squirm wrote:
Hmmm... You sure you don't already pay for some subscription?

Experian costs $20/month: https://www.experian.com/lp/creditlock.html

Looks like Transunion and Equifax do provide free lock/unlock.

Even Experian's own blog points out that it charges while the other two don't: https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-expe ... ur-credit/

LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:15 pm

We had no problems freezing our credit with the big three agencies, and no problem with Experian or TransUnion in creating accounts that allow us to temporarily unfreeze our accounts.

However, I had a terrible experience with Equifax in trying to set up a "MyEquifax" account to temporarily unfreeze my credit. Equifax wasn't happy with something I input during the signup process, and they informed me that I'm permanently banned from having a MyEquifax account. That's right, a lifetime ban with no ability to appeal. They refuse to explain why I can't have an account. They are arrogant and unaccountable. They say that if I want to unfreeze my credit, I can apply by snail mail, which is quite impractical. I've never had anything like this happen to me, as I have solid financials and a FICO score over 800. Equifax should have been shut down after their massive data breach.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:29 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:06 pm
squirm wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:27 pm
Horsefly wrote:
squirm wrote:
Hmmm... You sure you don't already pay for some subscription?

Experian costs $20/month: https://www.experian.com/lp/creditlock.html

Looks like Transunion and Equifax do provide free lock/unlock.

Even Experian's own blog points out that it charges while the other two don't: https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-expe ... ur-credit/
Positive. I will say it's insane they charge for locks, given all the breaches.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 pm

LeftCoast wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:15 pm
We had no problems freezing our credit with the big three agencies, and no problem with Experian or TransUnion in creating accounts that allow us to temporarily unfreeze our accounts.

However, I had a terrible experience with Equifax in trying to set up a "MyEquifax" account to temporarily unfreeze my credit. Equifax wasn't happy with something I input during the signup process, and they informed me that I'm permanently banned from having a MyEquifax account. That's right, a lifetime ban with no ability to appeal. They refuse to explain why I can't have an account. They are arrogant and unaccountable. They say that if I want to unfreeze my credit, I can apply by snail mail, which is quite impractical. I've never had anything like this happen to me, as I have solid financials and a FICO score over 800. Equifax should have been shut down after their massive data breach.
so what did you input during the signup process? was it answering a security question with something naughty or offensive? when i went through it, i didn't have much of an issue if any.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:07 pm

Caution! This link is talking about a "lock," not a "freeze". Freezes are free under federal law, and have a specific meaning. A "lock" is not defined by federal law and means whatever Experian says it does. Most people should get a "freeze" not a "lock."

Good info on the difference at this link: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/09/cre ... age-begin/
TransUnion and Equifax both offer free credit lock services, while Experian’s is free for 30 days and $19.99 for each additional month. However, TransUnion says those who take advantage of their free lock service agree to receive targeted marketing offers. What’s more, TransUnion also pushes consumers who sign up for its free lock service to subscribe to its “premium” lock services for a monthly fee with a perpetual auto-renewal.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:07 pm
Caution! This link is talking about a "lock," not a "freeze". Freezes are free under federal law, and have a specific meaning. A "lock" is not defined by federal law and means whatever Experian says it does. Most people should get a "freeze" not a "lock."

Good info on the difference at this link: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/09/cre ... age-begin/
TransUnion and Equifax both offer free credit lock services, while Experian’s is free for 30 days and $19.99 for each additional month. However, TransUnion says those who take advantage of their free lock service agree to receive targeted marketing offers. What’s more, TransUnion also pushes consumers who sign up for its free lock service to subscribe to its “premium” lock services for a monthly fee with a perpetual auto-renewal.
Ummm, what I was doing was pointing out exactly what you said. Use the freeze, it is free, and better. The "lock" was something artificial that all three of the bureaus created to try and deal with the backlash from the Equifax blunder.

If you quote something in response, make sure you understand the context of what you are responding to. :sharebeer

LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:35 pm

squirm wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 pm
LeftCoast wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:15 pm

so what did you input during the signup process? was it answering a security question with something naughty or offensive? when i went through it, i didn't have much of an issue if any.
Equifax won't tell me what I did wrong -- just that I'm permanently banned from having a MyEquifax account. I've spoken with customer service reps, and they don't know what I did wrong, only that I was bounced by the algorithm. I wasn't offered a chance to prove my identity. They are a horrible organization. It sucks that Social Security uses Equifax as the only way to prove your identity to open a MySocialSecurity account.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:43 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:07 pm
You deleted the context, but yes the blog was clearly discussing locks, and so was the poster you quoted. I agree that freezes are superior to locks from a legal standpoint, but it is a good idea to be familiar with both. Experian charges for a service that includes locks, although you can also get a standalone lock from Experian for free. Personally, I wouldn’t bother and focus on a legal credit freeze instead.

Numerous posters are telling their horror stories of dealing with unaccountable credit bureaus. If you can’t get a response from a bureau to initiate or end a freeze, get in touch with your state’s AG/consumer affairs office.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 pm

Similar experience
mighty72 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 am
My wife had the same issue with Equifax. She was able to put the credit freeze with the other 2 but Equifax didn't like the answers. We have mailed the documents recently and waiting for a response
+1.

rtt22

Post by rtt22 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 am

I have never tried this but some people were able to resolve problems with Equifax by tweeting to @askequifax:
https://twitter.com/AskEquifax
https://twitter.com/AskEquifax/with_replies
Example: https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/sta ... 6200625157

rtt22

Post by rtt22 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:20 am

With so many people having trouble unfreezing their Equifax account once a freeze is put in, maybe Lock/Unlock is a better alternative? I know the legal difference between freeze/unfreeze and lock/unlock, but given that Equifax, intentionally or not, makes it very difficult to unfreeze, is it worth to put in a freeze rather than a lock at Equifax? Note that many government agencies (e.g. Social Security, TSA, maybe IRS?) do use Equifax unfortunately.
Last edited by rtt22 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

1rl9DS5gl2

Post by 1rl9DS5gl2 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:17 am

Credit freezes are great as long as you can never envision a scenario in which you might need or want access to credit in the future. Equifax in particular can make it virtually impossible to unfreeze your account. There are multiple threads here concerning this problem. As far as I'm concerned, they should be put out of business as a service to the public.

WhyNotKnow

Post by WhyNotKnow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:32 am

Since I put freezes in place I’ve only had one time where I needed to temporarily lift the freeze on my Trans Union account. Logged in, lifted the freeze and set it to re freeze the next day. Trans Union lifted the freeze within ten minutes of my request and automatically froze it again the next day.

I also have locks on a couple of rarely used credit cards, done through the credit card company app on my phone. Takes a couple minutes to unlock it and it’s good to go.

Topic Author
Nittany_Lion

Post by Nittany_Lion » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:47 pm

As many on here suggested, it was much easier online. The questions were simple things about current and past employers, states I've had a drivers' license in, institutions I've had loans from, and ranges for the dollar amount of my current auto loan. There were also a lot of "none of the above" questions, but those were straightforward as well. It took about 40 minutes total to put the freezes in place with all three bureaus. Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

NL