What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Van
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:24 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Van » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:05 pm

I did not bet on the Eagles to beat the Cowboys.

harrychan
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by harrychan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 pm

For lunch, the whole family went out and got in-n-out burgers except me. I came home and made a salad with leftover chicken from two nights ago. I did go get a $1.25 fish taco for snack.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

User avatar
luminous
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by luminous » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 am

We went to the city science center this weekend because it was a free day for people living in our neighborhood. We packed our lunches because the cafe at the center is overpriced. We found free street parking rather than pay for garage parking. So we got a whole day outing for $0.
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2022.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 am

luminous wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 am
We went to the city science center this weekend because it was a free day for people living in our neighborhood. We packed our lunches because the cafe at the center is overpriced. We found free street parking rather than pay for garage parking. So we got a whole day outing for $0.
Yes - it is common for many attractions that normally have a fee - from time to time offer free admission.

Lalamimi
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:53 pm

kcannon1 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:34 am
My good woman cancelled our cable this past Friday. I had been lobbying for probably two years for it but kinda gave up on it. When I got home from work she was on the phone with them concluding our business with them. It was a surprise but I am thoroughly pleased. Over 200 bucks a month in savings. So obviously I took her to dinner and told her how amazing she is for saving us this amount of money per month.

I am new to the board and happy to have this as my first post.
Congrats! We cancelled ours 2 yrs ago. We have "rabbit ears", get dozens of channels, Amazon Firestick. Don't miss it.

Lalamimi
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Reduced our AT&T cell phone bill by changing from a 10G plan to 3G. We were barely using 2G a month. If this does not reduce the bill enough, plan to go to Costco T Mobile for Seniors plan.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:15 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:26 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:21 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:02 pm
I used a heavy rain to wash my car.

Victoria
I did not know that you have a car in DC.
I am in Arlington, and my apartment building has an open parking lot. My 1997 Honda Civic is not spoiled by commercial car washes and is happy when I give her a hand rub.

Victoria
'97 Honda Civic! Is the color green?
Depending on how long it's not washed, it takes different colors.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Sunday evening - got half price - all you can eat Ruby Tuesday salad bar $4.99 plus tax & tip :happy

This afternoon - in about 30 minutes - Ruby Tuesday all you can eat salad bar $4.99 plus tax and tip :happy

Glockenspiel
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Returned a $65 cardigan that didn’t fit my wife properly. Drove 6 miles each way to the store to do it.

victw
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by victw » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:50 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am

Right now the ARCO (a brand famous for being cash only) in my neighborhood has premium at $4.33 while the Shell across the street has it priced at $4.49. The Shell with Costco Visa wins by two cents per gallon, nothing to get excited about.
ARCO vs. Shell. That debate consumes my waking hours. I can get an ARCO card at the supermarket and get 6 percent off with my Amex preferred; or I can try and accumulate supermarket points that alleviate some of the pain of going to a costly Shell station, where I can at least use a c/c.
:oops: Wow. I've been trying to meet some CC minimums for points. Never occurred to me that I could get gift cards for ARCO. I assume this also avoid the 35 cent fee.

Vic

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:12 pm

At the Bogleheads 2019 Reunion, I earned $5 from Allan Roth. I considered it a "frugal thing to do." Some called it extortion.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

SrGrumpy
Posts: 1167
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:29 pm

victw wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm

:oops: Wow. I've been trying to meet some CC minimums for points. Never occurred to me that I could get gift cards for ARCO. I assume this also avoid the 35 cent fee.

Vic
The 35 cent debit card fee at the pump? Yes, correct. I've noticed some of my Ralphs have ARCO cards and some don't. There's always See's Candies cards!

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 pm

novemberrain wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:02 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am
Of course Costco has it at $3.97 post CC rebate, but this would be an incremental 18 mile drive from my house, which defeats the purpose.

No free lunch.
+1. Yes, it is unfortunate that costco has some of the lowest gas prices, but the time wasted at the looong lines at the costco pump negate any benefit.
I live near two Costcos. One has two pumps in each gas line, and the supervision is lame (people take cuts and drive dangerously and the attendant shrugs his shoulders and says, "I can't do anything about that.")

The other has three pumps per line, and once when a guy quite unsafely drove around me to take cuts and I told the attendant, the attendant made that guy get out of the line and go to the back. People respect the line there, because I think they know they will get in trouble.

It's kind of like the difference between a well-run classroom where the teacher is in charge and students take turns in an orderly manner, and a classroom with an ineffective teacher and a lot of chaos.

Fortunately I can combine my trip to Costco with buying gas, so I rarely use another gas station.

CurledMoss
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 7:08 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by CurledMoss » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Dumpster diving at work and found a nice glassware pan. From police evidence locker i guess. Cooked chicken on it tonight.

novemberrain
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by novemberrain » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 pm
novemberrain wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:02 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am
Of course Costco has it at $3.97 post CC rebate, but this would be an incremental 18 mile drive from my house, which defeats the purpose.

No free lunch.
+1. Yes, it is unfortunate that costco has some of the lowest gas prices, but the time wasted at the looong lines at the costco pump negate any benefit.
I live near two Costcos. One has two pumps in each gas line, and the supervision is lame (people take cuts and drive dangerously and the attendant shrugs his shoulders and says, "I can't do anything about that.")

The other has three pumps per line, and once when a guy quite unsafely drove around me to take cuts and I told the attendant, the attendant made that guy get out of the line and go to the back. People respect the line there, because I think they know they will get in trouble.

It's kind of like the difference between a well-run classroom where the teacher is in charge and students take turns in an orderly manner, and a classroom with an ineffective teacher and a lot of chaos.

Fortunately I can combine my trip to Costco with buying gas, so I rarely use another gas station.
We used to go to Costco till a year back as well, but use instacart now for Costco and all other grocery stores . Saves several hundred dollars per month in terms of dollar value of time.

But that being said, I hate to say , I disagree with what you said regarding the lines. There are 2 gas pumps as you said. When people are waiting in line, it is highly inefficient for 1 pump to be idle. If I am the second person in line and a spot opens up at the second slot; I give the person ahead of me a few second to go ahead and take that spot. If that person doesn't take it, I drive very slowly to the free pump. There is no way it is dangerous driving. I drive at like 3 miles per hour when I do that.
Many times, I even finish pumping gas and drive out of the station before the other person even gets to his pump at the first position.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:42 am

novemberrain wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm
LilyFleur wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 pm
novemberrain wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:02 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am
Of course Costco has it at $3.97 post CC rebate, but this would be an incremental 18 mile drive from my house, which defeats the purpose.

No free lunch.
+1. Yes, it is unfortunate that costco has some of the lowest gas prices, but the time wasted at the looong lines at the costco pump negate any benefit.
I live near two Costcos. One has two pumps in each gas line, and the supervision is lame (people take cuts and drive dangerously and the attendant shrugs his shoulders and says, "I can't do anything about that.")

The other has three pumps per line, and once when a guy quite unsafely drove around me to take cuts and I told the attendant, the attendant made that guy get out of the line and go to the back. People respect the line there, because I think they know they will get in trouble.

It's kind of like the difference between a well-run classroom where the teacher is in charge and students take turns in an orderly manner, and a classroom with an ineffective teacher and a lot of chaos.

Fortunately I can combine my trip to Costco with buying gas, so I rarely use another gas station.
We used to go to Costco till a year back as well, but use instacart now for Costco and all other grocery stores . Saves several hundred dollars per month in terms of dollar value of time.

But that being said, I hate to say , I disagree with what you said regarding the lines. There are 2 gas pumps as you said. When people are waiting in line, it is highly inefficient for 1 pump to be idle. If I am the second person in line and a spot opens up at the second slot; I give the person ahead of me a few second to go ahead and take that spot. If that person doesn't take it, I drive very slowly to the free pump. There is no way it is dangerous driving. I drive at like 3 miles per hour when I do that.
Many times, I even finish pumping gas and drive out of the station before the other person even gets to his pump at the first position.
I wouldn't consider your driving to be unsafe. If I don't think I can maneuver my sedan into the second position, I won't. And I don't mind if someone else can.

HoosierJim
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:20 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:33 pm
However the real savings is in the time we no longer spend mindlessly listening to the Weather Channel or CNN.
You can mindlessly listen (and watch) to CNN and Weather Channel (almost it's Weather Nation) for FREE on Pluto.tv

Xrayman69
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Xrayman69 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:28 am

FamilyMan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 pm
MandyT wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm
A Broadway singer I like came to my city to do two shows (Wednesday and Thursday night this week) in a jazz venue. Tickets were $50, and these kinds of shows usually run about 75 minutes. I couldn't quite make myself pull the trigger for $50, so I called the box office to see if they had any discounts. I wasn't eligible for student or military/fire/police discounts. Right after I said "Thanks anyway" and was about to hang up, they mentioned that the performance would be streamed into a lounge next door, so I decided to try that on Wednesday night.

I ordered an alcoholic drink and a soft drink ($11 plus $2 tip) because I thought it would be tacky not to order anything, though 3 or 4 people did that. It's not exactly the same as live, and there were people talking (one of the purposes of the lounge is so people can take phone calls/have conversations without disturbing others in the main room), but the video and sound were very good and I got probably 75-80% of the experience and saved myself from FOMO. Parking was free, so it was an enjoyable and inexpensive night out.
I do something similar but actually go to the show. I’ve noticed that tickets for live shows are 50-70% off the day of the show. So I spend the early afternoon before the show on stubhub watching the ticket prices plummet as people are just trying to get rid of tickets before dinner/tailgating. Plus I avoid paying the “convenience fee” that all these tickets come with now a day. It makes enjoying the show even better!

A word of caution is that it’s hard to do this with a very popular band (ie Taylor Swift, Rolling Stones) or a show you have to see. Give it a try!


If it’s not a show I “really” want to see amd it’s a “meh” show, I just don’t go. Saves me even more than a discounted ticket.

GeMoney
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:15 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by GeMoney » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 am

I rejuvenated the wiper blades on my car by 1) cleaning with rubbing alcohol 2) rubbing it with a small piece of fine sandpaper folded in half 3) cleaning again with rubbing alcohol. It works great.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:26 am

GeMoney wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 am
I rejuvenated the wiper blades on my car by 1) cleaning with rubbing alcohol 2) rubbing it with a small piece of fine sandpaper folded in half 3) cleaning again with rubbing alcohol. It works great.
Thanks.

Never knew about this!!

fundseeker
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:02 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by fundseeker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:39 am

Replaced the control panel (circuit board) on our eight year old microwave. The lights where the clock, timer, settings, etc, had gone haywire, but the oven worked fine. It was a $100 part, but that beat spending $400 or more on a new one that two people have to install.

andypanda
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by andypanda » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 am

I bought gas near the airport on the east end of town and got BP gas for 7 cents/gal less than Costco. Citgo was 5 cents less and Valero was 3 cents less. Lots of choices. Of course I wouldn't go to Costco anyway because Costco is on the west side of town and I'd have to drive 30 minutes just to get there and then wait in line.

chuckb84
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:41 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by chuckb84 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:44 am

One zone in our radiant floor heat wasn't coming on. So, I diagnosed the problem, watched a lot of youtube videos, and ultimately replaced the failed powerhead on one of the zone valves. It's amazing how many home and car repairs are accessible to almost anyone with time to do some learning. Youtube is an amazing resource for that. Probably saved at least $200 that I didn't pay to a plumber.

Also used the compressor I bought last year to blow out the drip irrigation system. Typical service call around here is $100 for that.

Traveler
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Traveler » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Shopped my car insurance with several companies and found that my current company is very competitive

User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by tooluser » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:49 pm

Caught a stray, fast rolling shopping cart just before it went into traffic, saving at least one driver possibly several hundred dollars in repairs. It was not my cart, it just came whizzing by from out of nowhere.

If I hadn't caught it I would probably have been blamed for the damage. :x So I probably saved myself some time and aggravation as well.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:52 am

andypanda wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 am
I bought gas near the airport on the east end of town and got BP gas for 7 cents/gal less than Costco. Citgo was 5 cents less and Valero was 3 cents less. Lots of choices. Of course I wouldn't go to Costco anyway because Costco is on the west side of town and I'd have to drive 30 minutes just to get there and then wait in line.
My wife does a lot of price comparison for gasoline - and often used the grocery store credits to get 10 cents a gallon off at Shell. Because of the 4% Costco Citicard credit for gasoline - we both use that card to purchase gasoline. We are not near a Costco that has gasoline.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:13 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:20 pm
Returned a $65 cardigan that didn’t fit my wife properly. Drove 6 miles each way to the store to do it.
What's a "cardigan"? :D

On Saturday, I changed the oil and lower case fluid on my boat, and emptied the gas tank. All set for winter. Net savings of probably a few hundred as compared to boat dealers / marinas.

Applied "winter cover", i.e. old bed sheets since it sits in a garage.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

sschoe2
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 am

With help from reddit/r/appliancerepair and youtube I fixed my own washing machine (needed a new transmission and clutch) and repiped and replaced the valves going to the WM myself. I wasn't planning on doing it but the old hot shutoff valve form the WM starting leaking from the handle and teflon packing rope didn't stop it (must have been too corroded). Took all evening and I had to run to Walmart at 10:30pm for more propane for my soldering torch.

Total $70 and 2 hours for the WM repair
$60 and 4 hours for the plumbing repairs.

Clarice
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 pm
Location: Orlando FL

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Clarice » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 pm

I flew Allegiant Air which charges for all bags, checked or carry-on.

Therefore, I wore several layers of clothes during the flight for my three day stay in Knoxville.

njuser
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:10 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by njuser » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:06 am

I wonder what percentage of these posts are true. Some are really good.

CrossOverGuy
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by CrossOverGuy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:10 pm

My dining room chairs made of nice cherry wood have attached seat cushions which are dirty (and hard to wash -- I tried) and also slightly damaged. Instead of replacing the chairs for a couple of hundred dollars or so, I researched and found seat covers, almost the same color as the original cushions, and bought them for $10 for a set of 2 at Bed Bath and Beyond. The covers look nice, are washable, and saved me from buying some new furniture since the chairs are otherwise still sturdy and now look good again.

GiannaLuna
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by GiannaLuna » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:02 pm

I am a freelance restaurant reviewer in the restaurant industry. I don't get paid, but my meals are reimbursed in exchange for a short review.

Today I treated a friend to delicious seafood meal at no cost (except for a bit of my time) for both of us.

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:58 am

After roaming through town to retrieve bags of leaves left for town pickup, I brought the leaves home (frugal action #1) to use as compost browns and once I emptied the leaves into my storage bin, I carefully folded up the paper bags to use again (frugal action #2).
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

hmw
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:44 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by hmw » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Our introductory internet pricing ended a few months ago. Bill went from $44 to $56/month. I called the ISP and asked for a discount. They gave me $5 off per month and a free increase in download speed from 300mb/s to 600mb/s. Small win. :happy

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 16018
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by abuss368 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:56 pm

Turned off lights in the house left on by kids!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Mr. Rumples
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Went thrifting today. Got Alsop's book FDR, 1882-1945 for $1. I've had my eye on an over the top ornate china cabinet; carved, it was only missing gargoyles (t was a reproduction). But I really don't need it especially since I am thinking of selling and moving to a smaller home. It was originally $375, but now is 75% off. I told a salesperson that I was surprised it hasn't sold in three months and suggested they move it to their other location. When I left they were discussing doing just that...now I won't be tempted.

User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by tooluser » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:41 pm

Bought the 40 lb bag of birdseed instead of the 25 lb bag, because it was cheaper.
Not cheaper per pound -- cheaper.
Same brand, same store. $24.98 for 25 lbs, or $20.98 for 40 lbs. :shock:
Well, if you insist.

pkay
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by pkay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:15 pm

bought a 4 year old minivan with all the bells and whistles instead of a brand new one. Saved about $20K for buying used. Been very happy with our purchase!

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dm200 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:20 pm

tooluser wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:41 pm
Bought the 40 lb bag of birdseed instead of the 25 lb bag, because it was cheaper.
Not cheaper per pound -- cheaper.
Same brand, same store. $24.98 for 25 lbs, or $20.98 for 40 lbs. :shock:
Well, if you insist.
Although this seems to make no sense, I have seen this kind of pricing myself. :confused :confused

kacang
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am
Location: CA

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by kacang » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:59 pm

After Thanksgiving, made waffles from leftover stuffing (add eggs, broth/water, mash well & cook in waffle iron). Gravy was frozen in ice cube trays. Had the waffles with gravy for breakfast today, yumm.

momof3
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by momof3 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Cut the kids' hair at home and buy whatever clothes we can at thrift stores.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:40 pm

We went for wings yesterday with DD's family. DD loves Hooter's wings, I eat them, but there is a sports bar nearby that has better wings.

Granddaughter's eyes were bigger than her stomach, so Papa was able to snag leftovers someone else paid for. And, granddaughter likes the hot ones, as I do, so even better. Sometimes I pick up the tab for everyone, but yesterday I came down with a case of alligator arms...just couldn't reach it!

Today DW picked up 100 mini-deviled crabs for our upcoming party. The vendor supplies restaurants in the Tampa Bay area, but I have been buying them from him for years. They are always a big hit. And buying from a supplier doesn't break the bank. Am the quality is great, people around Tampa Bay know their deviled crabs.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Mr. Rumples
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Mr. Rumples » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 pm

My neighbor likes his leaves raked and removed; I prefer to mulch mine. I told the guy who rakes his leaves that instead of carting them away he can dump them in my back field and mow them into mulch. It saved him the time to take them to the dump and the $25 fee they charge for businesses. I got several cubit yards of ground up leaves to mix with soil when I redo the perennial beds in Jan. and Feb.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 16018
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by abuss368 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Started printing less.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 16018
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by abuss368 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:25 pm

I guess I should add we are no longer printing any statements - bank, credit cards, loans, mortgage, investments.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

TallBoy29er
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:51 pm

I went the opposite way yesterday. I bought the fresh ground beef that was pre-formed into burger patties. $0.50/lb more. Of course, I saved on my personal labor, clean up, and time.

mindgap
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by mindgap » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 am

Repaired my GF's Miele vacuum today after it stopped working out of nowhere. Took it apart and found out that the power cord is broken and needs to be replaces. Found the original part at Amazon for around $22 bucks. Saves us and Mother Nature from buying a new one for at least $400.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:46 am

I bought a pair of Cole Haan dress shoes to replace a 9 year old pair.

The are usually $190 but we're on sale for $130.

Unfortunately, I took my wife and she bought 2 pairs of $100 shoes to complement the same set she has at home. :mrgreen:

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:51 am

I picked up a used Onkyo home theater receiver on Craigslist.

What was originally $500 cost me only $70. Coupled with a set of free Sony tower speakers and I have awesome sound for my man cave.

likegarden
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by likegarden » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:15 am

We had 17 and then 6 inches of snow in 2 days, had an emergency declaration by the state. It took me a total of 3 1/2 hours behind my snow blower, on our double-wide driveway, and I am nearly 80, had some good exercise. I had to blow about 6 inch width at a time. The first pass and the deep and wide pile at the road left by snow plows were challenging. But I paid nothing, and had 2 beers.

Post Reply