Fidelity Full View?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bck63

Fidelity Full View?

Post by bck63 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:59 pm

I am fiddling around with Fidelity Full View. I have all my brokerage accounts from Vanguard and Fidelity entered. I like how I can see asset allocation all in one place.

Does anyone use Full View? Do you use it just to track investments? Or do you find other things useful, like budgeting and tracking spending and net worth?

CnC

Re: Fidelity Full View?

Post by CnC » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:12 pm

bck63 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:59 pm
I am fiddling around with Fidelity Full View. I have all my brokerage accounts from Vanguard and Fidelity entered. I like how I can see asset allocation all in one place.

Does anyone use Full View? Do you use it just to track investments? Or do you find other things useful, like budgeting and tracking spending and net worth?

I messed with it for a while. but one of our other retirement accounts quit talking to it. It ties nicely into their retirement visualizer. I ever have seen much use for it for budgeting purposes.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:58 pm

bck63 wrote:

I use it for a quick check and because it uses the data for its retirement planner.
Problems.
- Sometimes the data from my other accounts isn't up-to-date. Occasionally doing a refresh fixes it, sometimes not. Seems random.
- Sometimes certain accounts appear with a "!" meaning there is an issue with it. When that happens, the data form the other accounts are also often out of date. These almost always clear up in a day or two.

Because of the above, I still log into my individual accounts in order to get the latest info that I use in my own tracking spreadsheet.

It's a nice idea, but I think Fido still needs to have their contractor put more work into it to make it more stable.

Cheers.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:00 pm

I was using it, then they changed how it worked (dropped Yodlee) and things were a mess. I recently went back and relinked my accounts and they seem to be doing fine. I use it for aggregation purposes.

Here's a thread from back then:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=255062

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:35 pm

I use Fidelity Full View. I put my HSA, savings accounts, and some other misc items that aren't with Fidelity into Full View. It is nice to have everything displayed in one spot. I would agree that sometimes certain accounts do need to be refreshed in order to update balances which is no big deal. I guess my biggest complaint is that Full View isn't available on the Fidelity Mobile app which I use most regularly. It appears that you have to login to the main Fidelity site in order to gain access to Full View.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:11 pm

SoaringEagle wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:35 pm
I use Fidelity Full View. I put my HSA, savings accounts, and some other misc items that aren't with Fidelity into Full View. It is nice to have everything displayed in one spot. I would agree that sometimes certain accounts do need to be refreshed in order to update balances which is no big deal. I guess my biggest complaint is that Full View isn't available on the Fidelity Mobile app which I use most regularly. It appears that you have to login to the main Fidelity site in order to gain access to Full View.
+1. FullView needs a mobile app. Once it does, I might consider dropping Personal Capital all together.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:52 pm

Is anyone else having issue getting their Vanguard brokerage accounts to show up in Full View? I can never get that to work, which makes Full View worthless to me.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:29 pm

I have two issues with FullView.

1. It cannot link to my Barclay's account, and
2. It won't automatically update my "Fidelity" accounts - I have to manually update them. I think the reason is that I have two-factor authentication turned on for my Fidelity login. Still seems a bit counterintuitive though as it's a fidelity product in the first place (or at least is accessed through their site).

It seems better than it was a few months ago. Before they messed with it, it worked perfectly for me. I continue to believe Fidelity made a mistake messing with FullView in the first place and should be working to address the remaining shortcomings.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:02 pm

All

I use full view to manage asset allocation in one place. Yes.. you do have issues with updates from remote sites, and my main checking account disappeared for 2 months when they installed a more complex account access/ login method to improve security. I contacted Fido.. and within a few weeks the issue was addressed and all the historical information was updated. It was horrible when they did the "update" year ago.. many basic items were broken, but they have addressed those, and improved the new version to a point where it is now usable.

I also use it to track spend (no budget).. I know how much I spend each month and I login each week to review all the various credit cards in use. It does a pretty good job of capturing credit card spends, so I can ask my significant other.. Honey.. what did you buy at XXX for YYY and as long as the event was recent, she can recall and I can correctly categorize the spend.

:sharebeer

The weekly check is quick.. and I just adjust the spend categories as needed, and verify that there was no fraud, or unknown spend.

I am impressed that the new version can actually login to the feds www site (Treasury direct), and display those assets so that is also a plus.

As a minus, I just noticed that a large chunk of my invested $ that is held at a within a brokerage link account at Fido has gone missing, so I sent them an email to ask if they could address that issue. It may take them some time, but I have confidence they will correct the new issue.

All in all for computing asset allocation status, and tracking weekly spend across multiple credit cards, it meets my needs.

I have lots of excel experience, and could not imagine trying to download information from multiple sources and merging into a single spreadsheet, then trying to summarize but that is just me. If you have other software to execute the downloads and merge, and a single file is then merged... maybe.. but still a lot more work (IMO).. vs Full View.

Hope this helps

CPU
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for Lunch. | Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:14 pm

I love it now.

I have played with it now for several years with mixed results, but I should say in its current form it is hard to beat.

My Fidelity Retirement calculations/predictions also are accurate now, as they feed off of the comprehensive picture of Full View numbers. I have all my Vanguard accounts aggregated there.

I put all my CDs as a single total number in the Vanguard as an outside Short Term savings & that also gets pulled up in the Fidelity Full View & Retirement calculations

Yes, I use it a lot
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:32 pm

I put everything in it, but really don't use it much other than to look at the total from time to time. The Spending section is a joke. For some reason, many things (like credit card auto-pay) end up as negative income.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 pm

One problem I have is that Ally investments Only reports the balance as if it were all cash, not the ETFs separately. I'm not sure which end that is on, probably Ally.

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:34 pm

Gadget wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:52 pm
Is anyone else having issue getting their Vanguard brokerage accounts to show up in Full View? I can never get that to work, which makes Full View worthless to me.
I just entered mine the other day and it migrated in perfectly.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:44 am

Is there a good alternative?

I fiddled with it last year, but wasn't working well so I gave up. I gave up on my BoA/Yodlee and 90% of my accounts were broken links. I just got rid of some deadwood, but haven't relinked the rest. The nice thing was I was tracking mileage/points programs and billpays as well. I just found http://awardwallet.com and am giving it a try, but without cooperation from the major airlines, it's not going to be all that useful for tracking, but hopefully it's one place where I can organize all the accounts numbers.

I just checked out FullView and remember why I gave up. I was getting this error: "4. Refresh this page" and some numbers xxxxxx.1.0. Now I forgot if I was able to go further before or not, but looks like I'm still having trouble. Also, it's requiring me to login a different Fidelity Investments page again, and my login doesn't work there.

Hope others are having a better time with it.

b.lock

Post by b.lock » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:58 am

I like it. It's a little quirky and sometimes can't connect to my accounts, but it works pretty well. I like to see as much as I can in one place, and I like it better than Mint because I'm only a few clicks from all my investments (all my retirement accounts are in Fidelity) and can see details about them easily if I want.

camillus

Post by camillus » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:52 am

Question: How does Fidelity full view compare to Personal Capital?

finagle

Post by finagle » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:33 am

dcabler wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:58 pm
bck63 wrote:

I use it for a quick check and because it uses the data for its retirement planner.
Problems.
- Sometimes the data from my other accounts isn't up-to-date. Occasionally doing a refresh fixes it, sometimes not. Seems random.
- Sometimes certain accounts appear with a "!" meaning there is an issue with it. When that happens, the data form the other accounts are also often out of date. These almost always clear up in a day or two.

Because of the above, I still log into my individual accounts in order to get the latest info that I use in my own tracking spreadsheet.

It's a nice idea, but I think Fido still needs to have their contractor put more work into it to make it more stable.

Cheers.
How to refresh accounts that have the "!" symbol?

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:09 am

I used it for a while in the early days until I found a major bug in their calculations. As I recall, the bug was that they were counting the same account twice in their calculations which wasn't a huge deal looking at current figures but if you extrapolate it out 20 years in the retirement planner it obviously made a big difference. When I tried reporting it to them and didn't get much of a response I decided I couldn't trust them any more.

I'm using Personal Capital now and I think it is much better - at least compared to the version of full view I was using before.

Don't care a whit about the budgeting stuff but the aggregator and analysis stuff, including the retirement planner are helpful.

In both cases there are/were almost always issues signing into one or more accounts every time I take a look. Usually it's because the institution that it's trying to sign into has changed something - like adding a security code or secret question. It's always a pain to fix but I consider that a good thing because it discourages me from looking too often.

Also, in both cases I think both Fidelity and Personal Capital have an ulterior motive of using the service as a marketing tool for active management so don't be surprised if you get contacted by somebody after signing up.

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:33 am

It was quirky before and the transition to the new version was rough but it has become quite nice . While I have most of my investment accounts at Fido, I can see all my other accounts (401k, mortgage, credit cards, etc) all in one place. It also gives me a ballpark of networth as you can manually enter in other assets, liabilities etc.

Occasionally, I have to reenter a login credential again. Though I think that has alot to do with the other institution changing something on their side.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:42 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:44 am
Is there a good alternative?
Schwab has a similar service. I don't know that the back-end is. As I recall, I had trouble finding a way to get a downloadable report with the aggregated assets. But I haven't really looked at it in some time.

ejm009

Post by ejm009 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:55 pm

Full view is the only aggregator that seems to work with treasury direct. All of the yodlee based services plus mint do not.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:58 pm

dcabler wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Where is the retirement planner in full view. I finally got it to link my accounts, but I don't see a retirement planner.

ejm009

Post by ejm009 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:09 pm

I see the retirement planner under a ‘planning & advice’ menu pull down at the main fidelity login. It is not part of fullview.

informal guide

Post by informal guide » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Maybe it is just me, but I don't care to have Fidelity know what I have elsewhere (but I am OK with Vanguard knowing it)

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:45 pm

informal guide wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:19 pm
Maybe it is just me, but I don't care to have Fidelity know what I have elsewhere (but I am OK with Vanguard knowing it)
Needless paranoia. I have been using Fullview for years. No one has contacted me. I'd be happy if they did if it were to offer a transfer bonus.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:26 pm

I manually update a spreadsheet once a month. Aggregators are convenient but I don’t think it’s a good idea to provide your logon ID and password to your other financial accounts. They need your logon information to work. That’s why these aggregators break when you add two factor authentication. They don’t have the 2nd factor needed to be you.

Not a lecture. Just a comment.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:33 pm

ejm009 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:09 pm
I see the retirement planner under a ‘planning & advice’ menu pull down at the main fidelity login. It is not part of fullview.
Correct it's not part of fullview BUT it uses the data from all accounts that you set up in fullview.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:35 pm

Wiggums wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:26 pm
I manually update a spreadsheet once a month. Aggregators are convenient but I don’t think it’s a good idea to provide your logon ID and password to your other financial accounts. They need your logon information to work. That’s why these aggregators break when you add two factor authentication. They don’t have the 2nd factor needed to be you.
It still puzzles me as to why the financial institutions haven't implemented something like Sharebuilder did. That is, have a read-only login with a separate code just for aggregators.

Pax

Post by Pax » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Since they changed how it worked (dropped Yodlee), I only use it to take a generic look.
All my budgeting categories rules were gone with the change and I just gave up. Too many years of customization were gone!
It is "just OK".

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Pax wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:47 pm
Since they changed how it worked (dropped Yodlee), I only use it to take a generic look.
All my budgeting categories rules were gone with the change and I just gave up. Too many years of customization were gone!
It is "just OK".
I never worried about that because I don't budget. None of my credit cards were linked, only investment accounts.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:35 pm
It still puzzles me as to why the financial institutions haven't implemented something like Sharebuilder did. That is, have a read-only login with a separate code just for aggregators.
I wish they all this this, or were required to do this, but it's not in their self-interest. No good deed goes unpunished. All they would be doing is sharing their proprietary customer data for others to benefit and they're taking on liability in the process. Also it costs to implement these things, and they have better things to do with their expenditures like improve login security and apps, so it's going to be quite low on their priority list if they ever get to it. And it's not like a lot of people are clamoring them to do it, so even if they did get it done, they would realize it's not getting a lot of use and shut it down.

FWIW, I wasn't able to log into Fullview using Chrome (maybe my blocked 3rd party cookies have something to do with it), but I tried another browser and got in. Looks like I had some test accounts linked up and some data is up to date. I'll see if they added on the accounts I need and if the interface has improved enough for me to use it regularly. I realize THEIR interest is to manage your assets and use the tool to get you to move more assets to their institution. MY interest is to manage my budget, expenses, billpayment, credit cards, points, etc. I just wish there was a one system that could handle all that well.

As far as investments, I look at the daily SP500 as a good proxy of what my 3-fund portfolio investments are doing. And more and more my portfolio is

approximating the 3-fund as I simplify.
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Schwab has a similar service. I don't know that the back-end is. As I recall, I had trouble finding a way to get a downloadable report with the aggregated assets. But I haven't really looked at it in some time.
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Last edited by inbox788 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:10 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:07 pm
I wish they all this this, or were required to do this, but it's not in their self-interest.
If at least the ones who have aggregators, Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity, (others?) could do that. They could make it an advertising point about how they protect you. Competition and all that.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm trying FullView again, and I remember some of the issues. I had most trouble adding the Fidelity Visa. It's sad they're both Fidelity products that aren't automatically or easily used. Now I have to figure out why my Fidelity credit card has a different login name than my main account, and I can't answer the security questions. Like I remember what city I most wanted to visit 2 or 3 years ago. It's not the same as today.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 am

Anybody still using this?

I'd prefer to stick within Fidelity over Personal Capital. I went into my account this morning to enable full view and it takes me to a new "full view" login....but when I enter my Fido login credentials it doesn't work. Do I need a different login? Maybe they are just working on the site now.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:53 am

Rainier wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 am

I'd prefer to stick within Fidelity over Personal Capital. I went into my account this morning to enable full view and it takes me to a new "full view" login....but when I enter my Fido login credentials it doesn't work. Do I need a different login? Maybe they are just working on the site now.
I posted here about some of the recent improvements I’ve seen:
viewtopic.php?t=288755

I had problems logging in a while ago, similar to what you describe, but they were solved a while ago (I describe in the thread above). What browser/computer are you using? That may have an impact.

student

Post by student » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:42 am

Rainier wrote:

I use both Fidelity and Personal Capital. However, you may say that I am not using "Full View" completely as I manually enter the info for outside accounts.

skor99

Post by skor99 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:47 am

Isn’t it a security risk to enter all other external account userids and passwords in one place ?

student

Post by student » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 am

skor99 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:47 am
Isn’t it a security risk to enter all other external account userids and passwords in one place ?
I think so and I entered them manually.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 am

skor99 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:47 am
Yes, it’s a security risk to give anyone your logon credentials. Also, you should enable two factor authentication wherever it’s available.

Manually entering your data into a spreadsheet or into their system to take advantage of their dashboard would be a much better compromise.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:19 am

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:53 am
Rainier wrote:

I posted here about some of the recent improvements I’ve seen:
viewtopic.php?t=288755

I had problems logging in a while ago, similar to what you describe, but they were solved a while ago (I describe in the thread above). What browser/computer are you using? That may have an impact.
Mac with Chrome. Will try a different browser.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 am

Got it to work with Firefox.

I'm most interested in asset allocation but there is no way to pick which accounts to include.

My kids UTMAs are on the same login along with in law's IRAs so their accounts get lumped into the asset allocation along with my checking account.

I could swear you could manually group or exclude certain accounts.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:00 am

As others have noted, Fullview went thru a redesign I think a year ago, and there were some problems. Seems to be working fine now. As different vendors have added more security protocols, there have been more issues. I occasionally have to go thru their site to the vendor to refresh.

I only link my bank accounts, life insurance, investment accounts, and mortgage, so I have a pretty accurate picture of my net worth. I don't link my credit cards, but I don't really need to, as I pay them off each month.

I like the fact Fullview links to Fidelity's Retirement Planner, so it has all my investment numbers and asset allocation.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am

Rainier wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 am
Got it to work with Firefox.

I'm most interested in asset allocation but there is no way to pick which accounts to include.

My kids UTMAs are on the same login along with in law's IRAs so their accounts get lumped into the asset allocation along with my checking account.

I could swear you could manually group or exclude certain accounts.
Not in Fullview, but once you have accounts loaded in Fullview, you can click on Analysis on your Fidelity screen, choose which accounts to include (Fidelity and non-Fidelity), and run Asset Allocation.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:11 am

Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am
Not in Fullview, but once you have accounts loaded in Fullview, you can click on Analysis on your Fidelity screen, choose which accounts to include (Fidelity and non-Fidelity), and run Asset Allocation.
That's it, thank you!

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:14 am

Have not logged into Full View in months. Thought I'd try it again. Some improvements made - can now link accounts at financial institutions I could not before. Unfortunately, it won't update of all things my accounts "at Fidelity". I do have two factor authentication turned on with my Fidelity log-in so perhaps that is impacting things? I can't even refresh my Fidelity accounts once in Full View. It just keep coming back with an error.

Amazing that the link to Fidelity is the one with the problems. Not very useful when my accounts at Fidelity cannot be updated.

Oh well...
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

student

Post by student » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:19 am

Rainier wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:11 am
Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am
That's it, thank you!
I think you can also separate the fidelity accounts by goals and do an analysis that it is goal based. Full disclosure: I have not tried it myself.

danaht

Post by danaht » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Gadget wrote:
I just tried linking my Vanguard accounts today - and while full view could login to Vanguard with my user name/password - it could not find any accounts. This might be an issue because I have some hidden/unused $0 accounts at Vanguard or it could be an issue because I have "external" accounts entered in my Vanguard account. Either way it's a probably a bug in Fidelity's eMoney Advisor being able to parse the Vanguard account information. I also don't feel comfortable giving out all my user names/ passwords - and having this stored/used by a company. Hoping these institutions will provide "read-only" user names/passwords some day for aggregators.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:35 pm

danaht wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:25 pm
Gadget wrote:
I just tried linking my Vanguard accounts today - and while full view could login to Vanguard with my user name/password - it could not find any accounts. This might be an issue because I have some hidden/unused $0 accounts at Vanguard or it could be an issue because I have "external" accounts entered in my Vanguard account. Either way it's a probably a bug in Fidelity's eMoney Advisor being able to parse the Vanguard account information. I also don't feel comfortable giving out all my user names/ passwords - and having this stored/used by a company. Hoping these institutions will provide "read-only" user names/passwords some day for aggregators.
Do you have two factor authentication enabled on your VG account? That would block access to the aggregator.

I agree that giving out your id and password to a financial account is not a good security practice.

doriscahill

Re: Fidelity Full View: Things to know

Post by doriscahill » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:13 am

I have been using Full View for a number of years. My strong recommendation is to print it once a month. Its really tries to link your other accounts but its been dogged with technical problems and terrible support from Fidelity; good luck locating a person with good technical knowledge, expect to be stuck between Fidelity, its third party developer and your other accounts security walls. Meaning if you having some modest number of accounts outside of Fidelity your going to experience anything from accounts just not linking, re-verifying, disappearing in the main screen home screen. The transaction history during one upgrade fully disappeared and well it turn out to be an "oh well" from Fidelity. The transaction allocation is a hoot, you will need to check it and classify each detail to really get some meaningful reporting, but you can query it to locate charges which is decent. Solution...PRINT the monthly Networth report and compare it month to month for drops!!! Also, accounts when they update can be in arrears a day or two. Meaning you Mortgage may have reduced but not your check book balance due to the timing of updates. So short story, its works sort of....but do not trust it under any circumstances. :? :oops: :confused P.S. I forgot the real estate links broke a few years ago and the pass throughs to portfolio view are a disjointed mess, meaning portfolio view picks up the mortgage but not the asset. Note, I am confident on these opinions. #fidelityfullview