TriCare at age 60

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
elcadarj

TriCare at age 60

Post by elcadarj » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:12 pm

Any retired reservists out there who have moved to TriCare Select at age 60? My 60th birthday is rapidly approaching but the Navy Personnel center is way behind in processing retirement paperwork. Is the transfer from TriCare Retired Reserve to TriCare select automatic or do I need documentation from Navy Personnel that I'm in retired pay status?

ColoradoRob

Re: TriCare at age 60

Post by ColoradoRob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 pm

My wife is gray area retired navy reserves but not yet at 60. As she understands it, transfer is not automatic and you will have to enroll at https://tricare.mil/Plans/Enroll/Select

We're not sure if being in a pay-status is important to TriCare; only that you are age 60 or older to be eligible for TriCare Select. Hopefully, NPC will process all of the paperwork on the back end to make sure that you are able to enroll. The fact that NPC has not processed your paperwork yet is troublesome to the point where you might want to make some phone calls to get things moving. Maybe check your retirement paperwork for any POCs/phone numbers etc.

Topic Author
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:55 am

Thanks. I've done all the follow up phone calls and emails to PERS-912. Retire Pay package submitted 04/08/2019 and I have email confirmation from PERS that my package has been received. Website has blanket statement that they're working packages submitted in Feb 2019. When I submitted PERS suggested submitting package at least 6 mos in advance. Duck-duck Go search found several articles discussing the delay and recommending submitting package 12 mos. in advance. So encourage your wife to do so.

I have access to milConnect and my TriCare Retired Reserve enrollment period ends the day before my 60th. So I am hoping that TriCare is independent of being in pay status. I was hoping for some assurance from someone who has crossed the line before me.

Topic Author
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 am

ColoradoRob wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 pm
My wife is gray area retired navy reserves but not yet at 60. As she understands it, transfer is not automatic and you will have to enroll at https://tricare.mil/Plans/Enroll/Select

We're not sure if being in a pay-status is important to TriCare; only that you are age 60 or older to be eligible for TriCare Select. Hopefully, NPC will process all of the paperwork on the back end to make sure that you are able to enroll. The fact that NPC has not processed your paperwork yet is troublesome to the point where you might want to make some phone calls to get things moving. Maybe check your retirement paperwork for any POCs/phone numbers etc.
Update post 60th birthday...

On 11/06, about a week or so prior to my 6hth birthday, I contacted the Reserve Personnel Management (PERS-12) 1-800 number to check my retirement pay application status. Questions asked:
1) When will my application be processed and subsequently when should I expect to receive my pay? and
2) How does the delay impact my Tricare Select eligibility.
The first question was answered with a vague, "It could be 6 more months." The second question was answered with a vague answer to the effect of "I don't know."

This was unsatisfactory so I followed up in two ways. First, I contacted my local congressional representative's constituent services office and second, when PERS-12 work management system emailed me a follow-up survey to review and comment on the service call, I let them have it: straight 1 out of 5 ratings with 1 being poor quality service and added a specific comment describing the questions asked and the response. Within a week I received responses from both a PERS-12 contractor and a Navy Captain letting me know my issue was being expedited.

The answer to the TriCare question is to go to the nearest RAPIDS office on or as near as possible to your 60th with a copy of your Notice of Eligibility (NOE) and get your military ID card updated to reflect your post 60 status. The RAPIDS clerk will update your DEERS status as RET. You then will immediately be eligible to enroll online in Tricare Select. That's how it worked for me.

And it seems having a Captain expedite your retirement package is effective. I received my first retirement pay deposit today, just a it should have been under normal circumstances.