Picking up New Subaru-Worth buying extended warranty?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ferdinand2014

Re: Picking up New Subaru-Worth buying extended warranty?

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 pm

Buster65 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 pm
The dealer offered me an extended warranty, tire warranty, key warranty, a ceramic coating option and glass protection. All of this adds up and I've never been a big fan of extended warranties. The guy at the dealer said that everything is so computerized with this car that I should consider it. I get the sense this is where the dealer makes $$. What do other Boggleheads do in this situation?
Say no to everything. Waste of money. Your sense is correct.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 pm

If it was worth buying, they wouldn't sell it.

rimfire

Post by rimfire » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:05 pm

IMHO it is never a good idea to purchase an extended warranty. It is a sucker bet and you are the patsy if you purchase it.
Insurance is for catastrophic events that knock you out of the game. If you car blows up the engine and you consider this an event which knocks you out of the game and you can't recover them maybe an extended warranty is for you.

Thanks jb

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 pm

If you want details on the Subaru factory warranty, where to buy, etc, see...

https://www.subaruforester.org/
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 pm

I always chuckle at the electronics/complexity statement. So what you’re saying is this car is cheap and a step down from the reliability of the past? I demand another $1000 off MSRP!

aqan

Post by aqan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:54 pm

Buster65 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 pm
The dealer offered me an extended warranty, tire warranty, key warranty, a ceramic coating option and glass protection. All of this adds up and I've never been a big fan of extended warranties. The guy at the dealer said that everything is so computerized with this car that I should consider it. I get the sense this is where the dealer makes $$. What do other Boggleheads do in this situation?
I was told something similar when I bought my forester with turbo... but I declined because you have plenty of time to reconsider before the factory warranty expires. I finally decided against it and didn't have to regret it. 9 years already and absolutely 0 issues :)

kacang

Post by kacang » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:08 am

If you do decide you'd like an extended warranty, shop around for a better price. We found a 7-year warranty for our Odyssey for ~$1k (this was in 2012), which was reasonable for the peace of mind. Since then, we've had some electronic issues (back-up camera, navigation system) and the repair/replacements were completely covered by the extended warranty.

subfam2

Post by subfam2 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:02 am

I wouldn't buy another Subaru without an extended warranty, and I would not buy an aftermarket. The 7 yr/100k Subaru Gold should only set you back between $1,300 and $1,400 dollars (if they pitch you their $2,300 list price, walk away. You can buy them from any dealer). They cover wear and tear and causation - which the vast majority of aftermarkets don't cover.

So the argument is you are just buying insurance and cars are pretty reliable now days. EXCEPT - we know for a fact that due to the design of the Subaru engine, you WILL eventually have to replace the head gaskets (Ka-ching). You ARE going to experience some oil consumption with a good chance that you will have a serious oil consumption problem requiring a new engine. Dealers and many others are trying to downplay the oil consumption, but from what I see I believe it is a much larger issue than they admit. Now, up until the last year or so the other issue would have been a virtual certainly that your CVT would have issues before 100k, but now Subaru has extended that warranty specifically on the CVT to 10 yrs or 100k miles. I have shopped some of their buybacks (tempted to buy an 18 and replace my 15) and they have buybacks for all kinds of reasons - suspension, oil consumption, transmissions, electrical (the touch screens, etc.). Problems today come with bigger price tags once you are out of warranty.

So, with a Subaru, I don't know that it is as big of a toss of the $$ as on other vehicles - although they all have issues. It's just that Subaru has some that come with rather large price tags and are relatively reliable in their occurrences.

Best of luck!

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:14 am

subfam2 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:02 am
I wouldn't buy another Subaru without an extended warranty
we know for a fact that due to the design of the Subaru engine, you WILL eventually have to replace the head gaskets (Ka-ching).
You ARE going to experience some oil consumption with a good chance that you will have a serious oil consumption problem requiring a new engine. Dealers and many others are trying to downplay the oil consumption, but from what I see I believe it is a much larger issue than they admit. Now, up until the last year or so the other issue would have been a virtual certainly that your CVT would have issues before 100k.

I have shopped some of their buybacks (tempted to buy an 18 and replace my 15) and they have buybacks for all kinds of reasons - suspension, oil consumption, transmissions, electrical (the touch screens, etc.).
With all of the problems on you mention, why on Earth would you even consider buying another Subaru ever again?

You really should consider turning in your Subaru fan club membership and buying a more reliable/dependable/less costly vehicle.

boglebill

Post by boglebill » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:30 am

oldfatguy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 am
Just FYI - The powertrain warranty on 2013 Outbacks was extended to 8 years/100k miles as a result of a class action suit.
Good to know, thanks!
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:37 am
Your warranty wasn't free.
Nothing is "free." :sharebeer