Recommended tools to track AA and performance across multiple investments?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
renegade06

Recommended tools to track AA and performance across multiple investments?

Post by renegade06 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Good morning! Does anyone have recommendations on tools to track Asset allocation and portfolio performance across multiple investments?

I have most of my assets with Vanguard (VTSAX, VTIAX, VMMXX, and VGSLX) but also have a TSP, current company 401K, a "fun" account for individual stocks through USAA, and then another portfolio with a financial advisor (I am strongly considering ending that relationship and moving those funds into my Vanguard to invest in VTSAX and VTIAX).

CoastalWinds

Re: Recommended tools to track AA and performance across multiple investments?

Post by CoastalWinds » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Morningstar Instant X-Ray

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:14 pm

I recommend creating your own spreadsheet in Excel or other application. You may be more or less successful at automatically downloading account data.

Other people want an application that takes care of all of that and provides standard output as well. I don't do that, but I am sure there will be suggestions.

I prefer the spreadsheet as one can do anything one wants with the data and also make sure everything that is wanted is there.

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:42 pm

renegade06 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:11 pm
Good morning! Does anyone have recommendations on tools to track Asset allocation and portfolio performance across multiple investments?

I have most of my assets with Vanguard (VTSAX, VTIAX, VMMXX, and VGSLX) but also have a TSP, current company 401K, a "fun" account for individual stocks through USAA, and then another portfolio with a financial advisor (I am strongly considering ending that relationship and moving those funds into my Vanguard to invest in VTSAX and VTIAX).
You might try using the "Portfolio Watch" tool at Vanguard. It can provide a good overview and let you know if you're too concentrated in a particular part of the market. Further, you can add in accounts held at other institutions. If you have ticker symbols and share totals, the info will be aggregated into your view.

Regards,

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:45 pm

I use Google Sheets.

Topic Author
renegade06

Post by renegade06 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:39 pm

retired@50 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:42 pm
renegade06 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:11 pm

You might try using the "Portfolio Watch" tool at Vanguard. It can provide a good overview and let you know if you're too concentrated in a particular part of the market. Further, you can add in accounts held at other institutions. If you have ticker symbols and share totals, the info will be aggregated into your view.

Regards,
Thanks for this suggestion! I've done this and I like the Vanguard tool. However, I have a significant percentage (19%) that comes up as "alternatives." I don't think Vanguard is properly classifying some of my stocks or my G fund in TSP or L2040 fund in my 401k. have you encountered this?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 pm

renegade06 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:39 pm
Thanks for this suggestion! I've done this and I like the Vanguard tool. However, I have a significant percentage (19%) that comes up as "alternatives." I don't think Vanguard is properly classifying some of my stocks or my G fund in TSP or L2040 fund in my 401k. have you encountered this?
I suggest you figure out an equivalent investment with a tradeable ticker symbol that the tool can use. Of course, the G fund is an alternative bond fund. The L2040 can be broken down into its constituent investments or perhaps a different 2035, 2040, or 2045 fund from Vanguard, Fidelity or some place else will do. After all, one doesn't need to have accurate nor precise results.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
renegade06

Post by renegade06 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:12 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 pm
renegade06 wrote:
I suggest you figure out an equivalent investment with a tradeable ticker symbol that the tool can use. Of course, the G fund is an alternative bond fund. The L2040 can be broken down into its constituent investments or perhaps a different 2035, 2040, or 2045 fund from Vanguard, Fidelity or some place else will do. After all, one doesn't need to have accurate nor precise results.
Great suggestion - thanks!

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:22 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 pm
renegade06 wrote:
Yes, that is what you have to do. It is true that one does not need accurate nor precise results, but accounting tools should be accurate and precise as a matter of principle. That does not mean there is not a fair amount of finagling around when one tries to do these things. It might depend on what kind of classifying one is doing.

Girya

Post by Girya » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:32 pm

A few suggestions:
1-The spreadsheet really is the way to do this. You can make you own and as you update from your own accounts you can truly keep a very good track of your investments and get more “intimate” with them; ie understand them better over time. I update mine monthly and save it under that month and then I can go back and know how much was in a particular account at a particular time a few years ago, for example.

2-In terms of returns here is a good spreadsheet that I’ve used. You can do it cumulatively or I just make a new one for each investment account.

viewtopic.php?t=150025

3-Personal Capitol actually does a good job of this but know that they will bother you with sales calls to use their advisory when you first sign up. You have to be firm and tell them NO more than once. But in that respect it’s pretty good to check against various indexes.

4- Morningstar X-ray is good. You’ll have to google around to find a Backdoor into it otherwise you’ll have to pay for it $99/year. You’ll need all of your investments in spreadsheet format anyway to import in there.

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:56 pm

1. Morningstar portfolio tool
2. Merrill Edge has a performance tab
3. Vanguard also has a performance tab

Another easy method is to have mirrored accounts with equal starting balances that receive the same automated contributions. One account is your default strategy and the other account is your test strategy. The account with the higher balance is performing better. Have been doing his for several years to compare performance of index investing and individual stock picking.

But I would definitely recommend tracking performance if you are interested in experimenting with different strategies. Otherwise you never know how you are doing. For whatever reason, many brokerages make it hard to track performance of a portfolio, probably to hide the fact that most portfolios suffer from frequent trading. I can’t find a performance tracking tool in Fidelity, for example which is a major drawback in my opinion. I’m sure it is there somewhere, but it’s not easy to find.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:05 pm

mptfan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:45 pm
I use Google Sheets.
+1. Powerful tool. Can suggest how to allocate new money, perform any math function, XIRR, etc...

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:05 pm
mptfan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:45 pm
I use Google Sheets.
+1. Powerful tool. Can suggest how to allocate new money, perform any math function, XIRR, etc...
Keeping in mind the investor has to write the application himself. However the Wiki contains a number of already written applications downloadable to Sheets, Excel, or LibreOffice. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Categor ... readsheets