Sidework/Consulting in Retirement, somewhat unique skills

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Sidework/Consulting in Retirement, somewhat unique skills

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

I am retiring in 2020 and looking forward to it. I am eager to have more free time, but also have some interest in maintaining a small work presence, as a consultant if I can.

I am not crazy about doing future work related to what I've been doing for 30+years - but I do hold a very high level security clearance - the kind that's hard to get and takes a long time to be granted. I have exceptionally clean records everywhere else: driving, credit etc.

I'm wondering if there are any individuals or organizations who would want to hire someone for any kind of work where a high level of trust and discretion would be a bonus. Personal assistant? (my overall skills are business related, have an MBA, etc.) Investigative work? Suggestions?
bwalling

Re: Sidework/Consulting in Retirement, somewhat unique skills

Post by bwalling »

I spent 20 years in a field and left it because I was tired of it. A year later, I was back consulting in it. Acting as a consultant is less mentally taxing than being on the inside of an organization in the industry. The intractable problems are less draining when they're someone else's and you're just advising.

Don't throw away the 30+ years of experience. Take a bit of a break, then capitalize on it.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I retired at 57, so I was not ready to quit work entirely. I worked part time for a company who provided consulting services for the Agency I left. There were a couple of downsides:1) the company got the work that the Agency people did not want (highly technical), and 2) the work was ad hoc, no fixed schedule. If you could contract yourself and pick and choose the assignments, I would find that a better way.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I retired at 64 and was burnt out, if I do say so myself after 45 years or so of employment. I was offered (more than one) part time consulting jobs and simply did not want to have a report to of any kind any longer. YMMV.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

midareff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:45 am I retired at 64 and was burnt out, if I do say so myself after 45 years or so of employment. I was offered (more than one) part time consulting jobs and simply did not want to have a report to of any kind any longer. YMMV.
+1. I retired at age 66. My goal was to give back in retirement by doing volunteer work with Christian organizations, my church and others. About 6 months after retirement, an old boss called me and offered a consulting assignment that I felt could easily be parlayed into a long term engagement. I was tempted but quickly said no. It is gratifying that people still want your services but I no longer need that. Been there, done that.