Do Outdoor Patio Heaters Work (Out Door Order Curve Patio Heater)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Frank2012

Do Outdoor Patio Heaters Work (Out Door Order Curve Patio Heater)

Post by Frank2012 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:30 am

Fellow Bogleheads:

I'm interested in buying an outdoor patio heater such as the Out Door Order Curve Patio Heater (MSRP: $1700) as shown here:

http://www.outdoororder.com/the-curve/

Does anyone own an outdoor patio heater? Does it work? Was it worth the price?

Thanks!

lazydavid

Re: Do Outdoor Patio Heaters Work (Out Door Order Curve Patio Heater)

Post by lazydavid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:03 am

I didn't pay anywhere near $1700, but the one we had for 12 years or so worked really well, as long as it wasn't windy out. Ours was a dual-heater model (looked kind of like an old street lamp) centered over a marble table. That was really nice, as I could have mine on low while my wife worked on her tan. :D I think we paid $650 at Costco, I would expect something similar to be around $850 these days.

Edit: this is exactly the one I had: https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdx/sun ... p1557.html
Last edited by lazydavid on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven in NC

Re: Do Outdoor Patio Heaters Work (Out Door Order Curve Patio Heater)

Post by Steven in NC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:07 am

That is a very stylish heater. Looks very nice.

I have one of the more traditional versions with the heater straight up and the heating radius is very limited. However, mine works quite well - if you are in the heat radius. The model you linked to seems to try and solve that with the arching/curve design.

Are you at all interested in the cost of operation? Your model notes a 12 hour run time using a standard 20lb propane tank. That seems pretty good to me. I don't think mine is nearly that efficient. Assuming about $3/gallon you have about 5 gallons in the 20lb tank or ~ 15 hours of run time/tank. That's about a $1/hour - cheap outdoor heat. If you use if an hour or so at a time that gives you quite a few times before you have to change out the tank. (someone can check my numbers to be sure as I am working on my first cup of coffee!).

I would say if the heating radius suits your needs - the heat supplied will definitely make for a comfortable atmosphere. Let us know how it goes if you move forward.