Razer DeathAdder Elite on Crazy Sale

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Razer DeathAdder Elite on Crazy Sale

Post by Caduceus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:58 pm

Amazon is selling the Razer deathadder mouse for $24.99 for Cyber Monday. It's a great mouse, but I've heard the Synapse software that comes with it is basically spyware (tracks all the sites you visit, logs your keystrokes, etc.). Does anyone have the mouse - would you recommend it?

Shallowpockets

Re: Razer DeathAdder Elite on Crazy Sale

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm

I recently bought a $10 mouse. Works great. Moves the cursor as needed. Why do I need a $25 mouse.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:10 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm
I recently bought a $10 mouse. Works great. Moves the cursor as needed. Why do I need a $25 mouse.
Does your $10 mouse have "death" in the name? I think not...

EDIT: https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/razer ... dder-elite
Just look at the specs, bet you didn't know what you were missing

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Looks like they have added guest login if you have privacy concerns.
https://www.techradar.com/news/razer-sy ... est-logins
. You can simply click the guest login button to get into the application with no fuss, without having to give up any of your personal details, or go through the hassle of creating an account. As an extra benefit, this change also means you can access the app without an internet connection.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm
If you don't know, you probably don't need it. Don't worry about it.

Some of us do want more precision, and Razer uses switches for the buttons that are tested for a very high number of clicks. The ergonomics and light weight of the Razer mice are also good.

Also, I was surprised to find myself saying this, but the lighting is very neatly done. Even my wife thought it was kind of cool. I keep mine turned down low, and with normal ambient lighting, it is such a subtle light it seems less like it is glowing than like a different colored material.

I think I paid $40 for my DeathAdder, and was happy for the price. $25 is an excellent deal - a top-performing mouse at mid-level pricing.

The Synapse software is bad enough it could easily be a Logitech product. It is currently using 54 MB of RAM to accomplish nothing other allow support for the DPI to be adjusted on-the-fly. It also allows button and lighting customization, but it doesn't need to run constantly for that. Most obnoxiously, it pesters me for a software update every 1-2 months.

I appreciate the privacy matter being brought up, and the new guest login option. I'm not aware of any evidence they actually do keylog, but their EULA does seem to allow it, which troubles me. I assume that relates somehow to ensuring they don't get sued for their keyboards with dynamic backlights to adjusting those lights as you type.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:45 pm

It’s a gaming mouse...

spefactor

Post by spefactor » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:05 pm

I actually categorize mouses as being in the "should pay up" category based on my experience. A $10 mouse off Amazon might last about 3 months (especially if you are using it heavily as a gamer). A $50 mouse will last years.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Good mice are hard to find. Kept having Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0s die on me. Went to Logitech mice, kept dying... Last one had uneven feet so it'd rock and throw off my aim. So I bought a Razer Basilisk... and the rubber grips on the side are peeling off and interfering with side button clicks.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:45 pm
It’s a gaming mouse...
It's also a good general purpose USB mouse. It has a pretty standard complement of buttons, good but simple ergonomics, and not too "loud" of aesthetics beyond the DeathAdder logo.

Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:50 pm

I use the Amazon Basics mouse on my PC and the Uhuru mouse on my Mac. Both are fine Bluetooth rodents, but I like the rechargability of the Uhuru versus changing batteries in the Amazon unit.

That Razer thing looks cool, though.