Stuck: DBA questions for a pllc sole proprietorship

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
hameshatumkochaha

Stuck: DBA questions for a pllc sole proprietorship

Post by hameshatumkochaha » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:33 am

Hi All,

I love this forum. I am a proud boglehead. We are stuck and request help. Here:

My wife is a Psychologist. While she will continue to practice at a hospital, she is going to practice at another hospital (both incomes are as contractor--Form 1099). Her actual work at both sites is the same, however, at the new hospital, we are eliminating the middle-man as we found little value and significant loss in being set up as a "sub-"contractor.

Why is she going with a different name for the same work at another hospital, also why not a different business with a different ein? (1) Because the DBA name is easier to remember for her clients than current business name ABC pllc. (2) We are doing the second business as DBA and not a separate entity to avoid paperwork with insurance companies as a new EIN triggers new application process that takes a long time.
Original business name: abc PLLC (associated with EIN)
Planned DBA: EVN PLLC (referred to as EVN)
DBA = Doing Business As.
Both the businesses are service businesses based in arizona and only operated in az.

Please inform your comments on the 3 questions below. Basically, we are trying to ensure that we are setting up things right. We tried contacting lawyers but surprisingly, we have not had much luck for a few weeks. We don’t want further delay starting the new business. please comment and help:

1. What paperwork should we get done to correctly setup DBA "EVN" to ABC PLLC (which was registered with the AZ Commerce Commission in 2014 without DBA)? My findings are that we inform AZ-Secretary of State (per this) and the City. Is that accurate and enough? fyi, An AZDOR attorney has confirmed that we don't need to register our service business with them for TPT.
2. Where is it not okay to give the DBA and ABC pllc only is to be supplied as the name of the company? i.e. for insurance payers, is it okay to give DBA or must we give ABC pllc?
3. Are there some steps that we are missing?

Thanks

Tamarind

Re: Stuck: DBA questions for a pllc sole proprietorship

Post by Tamarind » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:14 am

I think it is as easy as updating the city and state about your new DBA. From the federal point of view, it's the EIN that is your "unique identifier" and not the name.

Topic Author
hameshatumkochaha

Re: Stuck: DBA questions for a pllc sole proprietorship

Post by hameshatumkochaha » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks for the comment. Please confirm If my interpretation below is correct.
She should simply register dba with city and Secretary of State of az. dba Evn pllc can and should use the Ein of abc pllc.
Am I right.
Thanks again.