Ray Dalio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
hoops777

Ray Dalio

Post by hoops777 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:09 pm

In his All Weather portfolio he has 40 pct long term treasuries and 15 pct Intermediate.Any thoughts on having so much in long term?The rest is 30 pct stocks,7.5 gold and 7.5 commodities
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

klaus14

Re: Ray Dalio

Post by klaus14 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Long term behaves like leveraged intermediate. You can see that when value of intermediate bonds moves 1% up or down, long term moves 2% in the same direction. Dalio tries to equalize the risk/return profiles of stocks versus bonds, so he uses long term bonds.

For average investor, his portfolio is too balanced with low returns. But a good take away for everyone could be: first 20% bonds should be in long term. See this discussion: viewtopic.php?t=287627

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:09 pm
In his All Weather portfolio he has 40 pct long term treasuries and 15 pct Intermediate.Any thoughts on having so much in long term?The rest is 30 pct stocks,7.5 gold and 7.5 commodities
I don't believe that is Ray Dalio's All Weather portfolio. I believe the All Weather portfolio is a risk parity portfolio using leverage and assets in additions to the ones you've mentioned.

I think that is the Tony Robbins All Seasons Portfolio.

I would be interested if you can point me to something written by Ray Dalio that endorses this and confirms that he considers it to be essentially similar to what he is doing in his hedge fund.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:36 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:09 pm
I don't believe that is Ray Dalio's All Weather portfolio. I believe the All Weather portfolio is a risk parity portfolio using leverage and assets in additions to the ones you've mentioned.

I think that is the Tony Robbins All Seasons Portfolio.

I would be interested if you can point me to something written by Ray Dalio that endorses this and confirms that he considers it to be essentially similar to what he is doing in his hedge fund.
Just going by what I googled.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Smith1776

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:50 pm

The Tony Robbins All Seasons portfolio is endorsed and created by Ray Dalio himself.

Robbins obtained the allocation by sitting down with Dalio for an in-depth interview on investing. They since have become friends and have done many videos and podcasts together where Ray has confirmed as much.

Make no mistake, the Tony Robbins All Seasons portfolio is a Ray Dalio creation 100%.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:50 pm
The Tony Robbins All Seasons portfolio is endorsed and created by Ray Dalio himself.

Robbins obtained the allocation by sitting down with Dalio for an in-depth interview on investing. They since have become friends and have done many videos and podcasts together where Ray has confirmed as much.

Make no mistake, the Tony Robbins All Seasons portfolio is a Ray Dalio creation 100%.
Link?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Smith1776

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:50 pm

Link?
Was going to link some of the same videos as BalancedJCB19 did, but looks like he beat me to the punch!