Latest COMCAST Deals

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Latest COMCAST Deals

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm wondering what to expect as my 2 year Comcast deal is about to expire. I pay about $207 per month, including all taxes and fees, for internet, landline (that I don't need or even want, really) and lots of cable channels including HBO and Showtime. I called tonight and got someone who said that package is substantially higher now. It's Sunday night, and she told me to call for "customer retention" tomorrow, after I said that I was thinking about shutting down Comcast altogether. So when I get the folks who have the ability to make a deal, what can I expect these days to retain what I have now?

whodidntante

Re: Latest COMCAST Deals

Post by whodidntante » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:22 pm

I do this every one to two years.
Look around at what the competition will offer you. AT&T, Verizon, etc. Get specifics on the price and on the offering for TV and Internet.

Call and tell them you need to cancel your service. If asked for a reason, explain that you are happy with the service, but the price is too high, so you are going to switch to another provider. This will get you transferred to the retention department. Repeat what you told the earlier CSR. Explain the terms of the deal you are going to accept with another provider. Typically, the result is they will match it, or get within a few dollars.

If somehow you go down the path of canceling without negotiating, hang up and call again. That's never happened to me though.

If they don't offer you an acceptable deal, actually cancel. Negotiation works best when you aren't bluffing. You can go to the competitor. Or you can sign up later on with a new customer offer, or maybe someone you cohabitate with can. It's not that bad to be without service.

I would insist on dumping the VOIP line you don't want. It probably comes with taxes etc. even if they convince you it's free.

This saves me around $1,000 per year and it's a painful 30 minutes. No other activity I do pays so well.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:24 pm

$20 per month for internet only. 25Mbps which handles our needs just fine including streaming. TV is OTA.

Rates are local. Check via Google Incognito.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Post by 123 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:44 pm

We've had CONcast for over 15 years, generally always on some kind of promotion, either for 12 or 24 months. Our general procedure has been to call in and actually downgrade to the most basic TV service for a few weeks when a prono runs out. We then go online and select an upgrade promo (when you're on a basic service level you get to see all the promos). All the potential CONcast service packages for your area are listed on the pricing sheets that get attached to our bill once a year (We're in California, don't know if it works the same in other states). If you get ebills you can log in to your CONcast account and look through your bills online to see it.

When our promo ran out the last time I needed to return an extra cable box we had (we switched one TV to a Roku) so I went into a local store to do that. They noted that our promo was expiring before I said anything about it. They offered a better rate on a promo that included VOIP so we took that for two years. They gave us a new modem for the VOIP which we still have never used (we still use our own modem to avoid rental fees). So when the promo that includes VOIP runs out I'll be walking in again to return the VOIP modem (they'll be a rental charge on it after the promo ends) and drop back down to a basic TV package and rinse and repeat.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Are you in FIOS territory?

I have been a happy FIOS customer. But my plan is to switch to Xfinity in 2 years, and bop back and forth between the services every 2 years.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:49 pm

$40/month for internet only. 75 Mbps. Unfortunately, we have no other option, so when we need to cancel to switch to my wife's name.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Agree to drop the phone line. My parents got fios a few months ago. Even though the landline was "free" it adds taxes & fees. So I refused the phone line.