Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
Da5id
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Da5id » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm

The Q4 5% reward category for Chase Freedom Visa is
Dept Stores
Chase Pay
PayPal

Any suggestions of good ways to spend? I won't spend on things I don't ordinarily want. I don't do much with Dept Stores, I don't use Chase Pay (installed it, but not widely accepted), and don't do lots of PayPal. I found for example I could pay for Hulu with PayPal.

Hoping folks have thoughts. Some quarters I can painlessly hit the $1500 max on the category, Q4 is looking not so good.
Last edited by Da5id on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:59 pm

How do you know if a retailer takes Chase Pay? Annoying that you need another app beyond the regular Chase app.

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:59 pm

I thought Chase pay got shut down?

This quarter seems to be pretty useless unless you use PayPal extensively or shop at department stores :annoyed

Alan S.
Posts: 8680
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: Prescott, AZ

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by Alan S. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:02 pm

This 5% cash back rate is certainly not enough to warrant spending on things you would not purchase otherwise.

Lately, the categories offered each quarter do not match up as well to my needs at they used to, so will likely just stop using the card until things change.

H-Town
Posts: 2101
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by H-Town » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:06 pm

Da5id wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm
The Q4 5% reward category for Chase Freedom Visa is
Dept Stores
Chase Pay
PayPal

Any suggestions of good ways spend? I won't spend on things I don't ordinarily want. I don't do much with Dept Stores, I don't use Chase Pay (installed it, but not widely accepted), and don't do lots of PayPal. I found for example I could pay for Hulu with PayPal.

Hoping folks have thoughts. Some quarters I can painlessly hit the $1500 max on the category, Q4 is looking not so good.
it's a meh Q4 bonus. Maybe using Paypal and Dept Store for Holiday/gift shopping & decorations?

User avatar
beyou
Posts: 2840
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by beyou » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:07 pm

I hate these rotating categories.

This is why I mostly use my Citi DC card (2% on all) and Amex (3% supermarket and 2% gas).
When I can get 5% on groceries or gas, things I buy regularly, I will use Chase.
But otherwise who cares if I use Chase.
I changed my paypal to use Chase, but then again rarely use Paypal, so wont matter.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 6662
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by whodidntante » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm

I plan to use it to pay estimated tax as I mentioned in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=276677

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by Ice-9 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm

For many years, I distrusted PayPal for experiences in the previous decade. In early 2019, I got over it, as a number of friends prefer to send money that way, and I also participate in a cashback program for which PayPal is the most convenient way to receive my cash. I learned it's actually a neat way to make online credit card purchases without giving up your credit card number - similar to the motivation to use virtual online account numbers that some cards offer, but with any card connected to PayPal.

In Q3 of 2019, Discover It card offered a similar PayPal option for 5% cashback along with restaurants. I let my wife use her Discover card for our restaurants all quarter, and I connected mine to PayPal. She wanted a few items from Macy's online, which accepts PayPal, and boom, $400 of the $1500 max for the quarter used. We happened to be doing a bathroom remodel and found the vanity we wanted and a couple other items at Home Depot online, which also accepts PayPal, and there went most of the rest. Got 5% on purchases that would have otherwise received 2%-3% cashback on other cards.

We also have Chase Freedom. I'm thinking a lot of the online holiday shopping can be done via PayPal this quarter. Also, if we order takeout or delivery, some of those places accept PayPal when you order online. Also, looking at my apps for Uber and Lyft, both accept PayPal.

bob60014
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by bob60014 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:39 pm

The categories stink next quarter but Chase pay can be used at numerous gas stations as well as Walmart, Walgreens, Panera, Applebees and other places. One could easily maximize their bonus by purchasing gift cards at some locations. Not ideal, but it works especially during the holiday season.

It's to be discontinued in early 2020.

TruthHurts87
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:19 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by TruthHurts87 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:47 pm

I'll be purchasing gift cards via PayPal. Search for online retailers who accept PayPal to purchase gift cards.

For example, I have three Discover cards in my household. I used them all to max out Discover Q3 5% PayPal category by purchasing gift cards. Got $225 CB for buying gift cards to places I normally spend.

Discover Q4 5% categories are Walmart.com, Target, and Amazon.com. I'll do the same by purchasing gift cards.

I know you specifically asked about the Chase Freedom. I'll apply the same method. Since I have three Chase Freedoms in my household, I'll use the PayPal category to purchase gift cards.

I actually have use for the gift cards. I don't condone spending money you wouldn't otherwise spend to maximize rewards.

MikeG62
Posts: 2238
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by MikeG62 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:05 pm

H-Town wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:06 pm
Da5id wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm
The Q4 5% reward category for Chase Freedom Visa is
Dept Stores
Chase Pay
PayPal

Any suggestions of good ways spend? I won't spend on things I don't ordinarily want. I don't do much with Dept Stores, I don't use Chase Pay (installed it, but not widely accepted), and don't do lots of PayPal. I found for example I could pay for Hulu with PayPal.

Hoping folks have thoughts. Some quarters I can painlessly hit the $1500 max on the category, Q4 is looking not so good.
it's a meh Q4 bonus. Maybe using Paypal and Dept Store for Holiday/gift shopping & decorations?
^This is my plan. Could/should be easy to hit the $1,500 limit on Christmas shopping alone (mostly by using Paypal as payment option from online retailers).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Topic Author
Da5id
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by Da5id » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions (and happy to hear more).

Wish they had done an easier category for me (they've done Warehouses in the past, that one is easy). I'll do some gift cards and dribs and drabs of gas and such, but don't expect to hit $1500.

And yes, it is odd they picked Chase Pay given that it is end of life as a mobile product.

surfstar
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by surfstar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:17 pm

PayPal - thats an interesting one.
5% back. 2.9% fee to send cash to someone via CC.
Send $1500 to a friend/family member and make $30+

b4nash
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by b4nash » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:30 am

Chase Pay the mobile app will be retired but Chase Pay via the web will remain. I like Chase Pay for Best Buy (in-store) or Walmart.com. I pay my auto insurance and eBay purchases via PayPal.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:09 pm

b4nash wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:30 am
Chase Pay the mobile app will be retired but Chase Pay via the web will remain. I like Chase Pay for Best Buy (in-store) or Walmart.com. I pay my auto insurance and eBay purchases via PayPal.
Good idea on the insurance/Paypal. I just paid my auto insurance with it. Discover has 5% cashback on Paypal until the end of the month.

User avatar
guwop
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by guwop » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:29 pm

If I add an authorized user on my Freedom, does that mean we can double our Q4 cash back? Or does it max out at 5% regardless?

mrnutty
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by mrnutty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Chase pay can be linked with Samsung Pay which (if you have a Samsung phone with a magstrip transmitter) works just about anywhere with a card swipe terminal.

Which means you can can get the 5% category bonus just about anywhere (except online, pay-at-pump and some square terminals - at least without shenanigans).
Last edited by mrnutty on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 13865
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm

beyou wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:07 pm
I hate these rotating categories.
Me too. Rarely are we able to use them to much benefit. I can't remember the last time we used our Chase Freedom card.

We've been using the Freedom Unlimited card with 1.5% cashback for a while now. I know that it's not as good as Citi's 2% cashback card, but we're in a 'cooldown' period after churning lots of cards in 2018. We'll get back to churning, beginning with Chase cards, once we're below the 5/24 rule next summer.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

arf30
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by arf30 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm

The fact that only the first $1500 earns the 5% cashback is why I never bothered with these cards, I'm surprised they're so popular.

Topic Author
Da5id
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Da5id » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:50 pm

arf30 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm
The fact that only the first $1500 earns the 5% cashback is why I never bothered with these cards, I'm surprised they're so popular.
I value Chase points at 1.5 cents per point (often can be better). I have Chase Sapphire Reserve and can transfer to partners. So that gets me up to $450 per year. I guess it is worth it to me, though I use other cards for other purposes.

MikeG62
Posts: 2238
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 pm

Da5id wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:50 pm
arf30 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm
The fact that only the first $1500 earns the 5% cashback is why I never bothered with these cards, I'm surprised they're so popular.
I value Chase points at 1.5 cents per point (often can be better). I have Chase Sapphire Reserve and can transfer to partners. So that gets me up to $450 per year. I guess it is worth it to me, though I use other cards for other purposes.
I do the same thing. I can usually easily max out the bonus in two quarters each year (don't use the card at all the other two quarters). So I end up with $225 of value for spending $3,000. Putting those charges on my 2% Fidelity VISA would net me $60. It's not big numbers either way, but it's low hanging fruit and super easy to harvest.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

User avatar
Vulcan
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Vulcan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:20 pm

mrnutty wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm
Chase pay can be linked with Samsung Pay which (if you have a Samsung phone with a magstrip transmitter) works just about anywhere with a card swipe terminal.
+1

I use Samsung Pay almost everywhere credit cards are accepted.
More convenient and a lot faster than doing the chip card dance.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:28 pm

arf30 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm
The fact that only the first $1500 earns the 5% cashback is why I never bothered with these cards, I'm surprised they're so popular.
Well that works out to $500 per month on just one category of spending.

Everyone's spending is different, but the only times I've surpassed the quarterly limit with these cards is when the seasonal category is either restaurants or groceries, and if that happens we just use my wife's Chase Freedom or Discover It card the rest of the quarter as we both have them. We've never come close to going over the full $3k per quarter as a couple.

stoptothink
Posts: 6497
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by stoptothink » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Ice-9 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:28 pm
arf30 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm
The fact that only the first $1500 earns the 5% cashback is why I never bothered with these cards, I'm surprised they're so popular.
Well that works out to $500 per month on just one category of spending.

Everyone's spending is different, but the only times I've surpassed the quarterly limit with these cards is when the seasonal category is either restaurants or groceries, and if that happens we just use my wife's Chase Freedom or Discover It card the rest of the quarter as we both have them. We've never come close to going over the full $3k per quarter as a couple.
When it is groceries I buy $1500 in grocery store gift cards, but other than that we never come remotely close to hitting the limit; the number is essentially irrelevant. Gas is a current category, even with two out-of-state trips (by car) we've spent <$300 on gas from July to now. IMO, not really worth it for us to manufacture spending unless it is on an absolute necessity (ie. food).

ZinCO
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by ZinCO » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:35 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:51 pm

When it is groceries I buy $1500 in grocery store gift cards, but other than that we never come remotely close to hitting the limit; the number is essentially irrelevant. Gas is a current category, even with two out-of-state trips (by car) we've spent <$300 on gas from July to now. IMO, not really worth it for us to manufacture spending unless it is on an absolute necessity (ie. food).
Gas station quarter is as good as Grocery quarter for me; I just buy 3x $500 Kroger gift cards at the attached Kroger gas station... Maxing out all four quarters on one card is worth 30,000 UR points, which is well worth it at Hyatt. I really should get some more Freedom cards.

stoptothink
Posts: 6497
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by stoptothink » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:49 pm

ZinCO wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:35 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:51 pm

When it is groceries I buy $1500 in grocery store gift cards, but other than that we never come remotely close to hitting the limit; the number is essentially irrelevant. Gas is a current category, even with two out-of-state trips (by car) we've spent <$300 on gas from July to now. IMO, not really worth it for us to manufacture spending unless it is on an absolute necessity (ie. food).
Gas station quarter is as good as Grocery quarter for me; I just buy 3x $500 Kroger gift cards at the attached Kroger gas station... Maxing out all four quarters on one card is worth 30,000 UR points, which is well worth it at Hyatt. I really should get some more Freedom cards.
Unfortunately the only grocery stores with an attached gas station in our area are far more than 5% more expensive in general than alternatives. Would be a losing venture for us.

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Cubicle » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm

When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 13865
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Cubicle wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm
When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.
That's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for that.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
Da5id
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Da5id » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Cubicle wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm
When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.
That's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Some gas stations also have convenience stores attached, and will sell Amazon and other gift cards (for current quarter).

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 13865
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Da5id wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Cubicle wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm
When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.
That's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Some gas stations also have convenience stores attached, and will sell Amazon and other gift cards (for current quarter).
Thanks for the tip!
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 15961
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by abuss368 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Cubicle wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm
When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.
Thank you for the useful information. Will let my spouse know.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 15961
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by abuss368 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Da5id wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Cubicle wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm
When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.
That's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Some gas stations also have convenience stores attached, and will sell Amazon and other gift cards (for current quarter).
We did this with the gas station near our home.
Thanks!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 6880
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by prudent » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:48 pm

With gas stations, you need to see if the bonus only applies "at the pump". I'd do a small test purchase before loading up.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Ice-9 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Da5id wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Cubicle wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm
When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.
That's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Some gas stations also have convenience stores attached, and will sell Amazon and other gift cards (for current quarter).
Mind blown. I've done the gift card thing late in the quarter when groceries or drug stores were the category, but with the tiny gas stations near me I never thought of that. Will be trucking it a few extra miles in the next couple of days to one with a nice convenience store attached now. Already have 5% at Amazon on another card, but will look for other options. Thanks!

Topic Author
Da5id
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Da5id » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:42 pm

prudent wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:48 pm
With gas stations, you need to see if the bonus only applies "at the pump". I'd do a small test purchase before loading up.
When I've done it, it was coded as a gas purchase and worked.

Mind you, some gas stations won't take credit cards for gift cards, and others have a limit of $100 per purchase. Guess they have had some issues?

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Cubicle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:29 pm

I should have mentioned that (at least near me, central NJ) the drug stores have a $500 per day limit on gift cards. Never an issue using my chase card to buy gift cards.

And I do recall that at one time Chase did say the gas station convenience stores "may not" earn bonus points. So as mentioned, please do test this first. I've never used the gas station store method.

I have used Chase pay on walmart.com to purchase walmart gift cards. Can confirm I did get the bonus points this way I shop at walmart anyways, so this is a way to get 5% back on walmart purchases, in store & online. I may be going this route next quarter.

And to really "circle the drain". I used my chase card at walgreens to buy an amazon gift card, loaded said gift card to my amazon account, then purchased gift cards to other merchants (in smaller denominations & from retailers not at the drug stores).

ndpage
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by ndpage » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 pm

For PayPal, Kiva might work, Obviously a risk of currency lost or default, but only if your loans actually get filled. Pick loans closing that day that need a lot of lenders, and there's a good chance that they'll put your money back to lend again. (Or, withdraw........)

MD9NYC
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by MD9NYC » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:01 am

Using Apple Pay at food store to buy $500 gift cards. Convert to cash via various methods and enjoy a free $55. Do this three times (two personal and one spouse card) and I’m at $115 tax free dollars for an hour of work.

MichCPA
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by MichCPA » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:41 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm
beyou wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:07 pm
I hate these rotating categories.
Me too. Rarely are we able to use them to much benefit. I can't remember the last time we used our Chase Freedom card.

We've been using the Freedom Unlimited card with 1.5% cashback for a while now. I know that it's not as good as Citi's 2% cashback card, but we're in a 'cooldown' period after churning lots of cards in 2018. We'll get back to churning, beginning with Chase cards, once we're below the 5/24 rule next summer.
IMO 5% capped is not enough of a marginal benefit vs my other cards for my Discover to be used in most circumstances. Amex Gold 4x dining and grocery killed Q2 and I had to use Paypal for Q3 (worked out fine bc wedding spend on etsy maxed it out, hopefully not repeatable though. :shock: ) So it was nice for gas and I guess the Q4 shopping category is okay. Not worth having it in the wallet.

CF is a bit different because of the UR point conversion, which is also the primary point of the CFU. Will you change to Citi DC now that it has that feature too? I am thinking about holding my DC and getting a premium card to transfer points out once that can actually amount to something.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 13865
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:10 am

MichCPA wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:41 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm
beyou wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:07 pm
I hate these rotating categories.
Me too. Rarely are we able to use them to much benefit. I can't remember the last time we used our Chase Freedom card.

We've been using the Freedom Unlimited card with 1.5% cashback for a while now. I know that it's not as good as Citi's 2% cashback card, but we're in a 'cooldown' period after churning lots of cards in 2018. We'll get back to churning, beginning with Chase cards, once we're below the 5/24 rule next summer.
IMO 5% capped is not enough of a marginal benefit vs my other cards for my Discover to be used in most circumstances. Amex Gold 4x dining and grocery killed Q2 and I had to use Paypal for Q3 (worked out fine bc wedding spend on etsy maxed it out, hopefully not repeatable though. :shock: ) So it was nice for gas and I guess the Q4 shopping category is okay. Not worth having it in the wallet.

CF is a bit different because of the UR point conversion, which is also the primary point of the CFU. Will you change to Citi DC now that it has that feature too? I am thinking about holding my DC and getting a premium card to transfer points out once that can actually amount to something.
No, we're not going to switch because cards because of that. Churning cards for signup bonuses is much more valuable than getting an extra .5-1.0%. For instance, a card with $3k spend required for a $600 net reward (e.g. Barclaycard Arrival Plus) is effectively 20% cash back.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Alaric
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Alaric » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 am

Da5id wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Cubicle wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm
When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.
That's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Some gas stations also have convenience stores attached, and will sell Amazon and other gift cards (for current quarter).
Also a lot of department stores (for fourth quarter) sell various retailer gift cards (Kohl's, Penney's, etc.).

My relative does the things that cubicle and Da5id do as far as buying other store-specific gift cards at drugstores, gas stations, and department stores as those rotate into being his 5% category. He also buys Visa gift cards at CVS when drugstores at 5%. These entail paying an activation fee, but its impact is minimized by buying the $500 cards. The activation fee of $6.95 takes the effective reward rate down to 3.61% [($25.00 — $6.95) / $500.00] but that is still ahead of 2% baseline for miscellaneous spending. He and his family use the Visa cards with tradesmen, small shops, etc. Anyone who accepts credit cards but isn't in a category that can ever be 5%.

He has a large family with a lot of constant necessary spending, so he never has such gift card funds sitting around for long not earning any money. But his strategy won't make sense for everyone.

desertgoose
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by desertgoose » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm
I plan to use it to pay estimated tax as I mentioned in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=276677
I'm planning to do this after my statement cycle ends in mid-December. Has anyone used their Chase Freedom card to pay taxes via PayPal and can confirm receipt of the bonus points?

seymore92
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:16 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by seymore92 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:02 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm
I plan to use it to pay estimated tax as I mentioned in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=276677
Are you referring to using Paypal on https://payusatax.com/ or some other site?

desertgoose
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by desertgoose » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:07 pm

seymore92 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:02 pm
Are you referring to using Paypal on https://payusatax.com/ or some other site?
Yes, paying with my Chase Freedom card via paypal using payUSAtax. Their fee at 1.96% is a bit higher than Pay1040 (1.87%), but Pay1040 does not appear to accept paypal.

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by Cubicle » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10 pm

desertgoose wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am
whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm
I plan to use it to pay estimated tax as I mentioned in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=276677
I'm planning to do this after my statement cycle ends in mid-December. Has anyone used their Chase Freedom card to pay taxes via PayPal and can confirm receipt of the bonus points?
Did this myself ~1-2 weeks ago. Can confirm I received the bonus points from Chase on my statement.

boglenomics
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use?

Post by boglenomics » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Cubicle wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10 pm
desertgoose wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am
whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm
I plan to use it to pay estimated tax as I mentioned in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=276677
I'm planning to do this after my statement cycle ends in mid-December. Has anyone used their Chase Freedom card to pay taxes via PayPal and can confirm receipt of the bonus points?
Did this myself ~1-2 weeks ago. Can confirm I received the bonus points from Chase on my statement.
+1 also paid my taxes with the card via PayPal and got the credit. A PayPal transaction is a PayPal transaction and their TOS don't specify any exclusions beyond that.

nalor511
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by nalor511 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:36 pm

So just another calculation, if you pay $1500 in taxes late dec, then you file the earliest your tax forms are available (around Feb? early mar?) you're losing 1-2.5 months of interest on that $1500, which for me brings the max rewards on this down to about $34.50 (3% rewards on $1500 minus (3% bank CD interest for 1-2.5months)). And that's assuming you get the refund check right after you file, I don't know how long that takes. Every day that's delayed is a day of missed interest. Lot of fiddling for max $34.50.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Also, as today is Giving Tuesday, thought I'd mention that many, many charities accept PayPal, and I can confirm that Chase gives you the 5% cashback on such donations.

If a charity doesn't accept PayPal on their website, if they are acknowledged as a charity on Facebook you can donate via a Facebook Fundraiser and use PayPal as your payment option. I can confirm that Chase also gives you the 5% cashback in this scenario. And Facebook was matching donations today, if I remember correctly.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Chase Freedom Q4 category - how to use? [2019]

Post by LilyFleur » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Alaric wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 am
Da5id wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Cubicle wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm
When drugstores are included for the category, I grab gift cards for other retailers. Home Depot, Amazon, restaurants. Amazon was/is useful for holiday times, I ship items right to the recipient. CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, I've never had a problem.
That's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Some gas stations also have convenience stores attached, and will sell Amazon and other gift cards (for current quarter).
Also a lot of department stores (for fourth quarter) sell various retailer gift cards (Kohl's, Penney's, etc.).

My relative does the things that cubicle and Da5id do as far as buying other store-specific gift cards at drugstores, gas stations, and department stores as those rotate into being his 5% category. He also buys Visa gift cards at CVS when drugstores at 5%. These entail paying an activation fee, but its impact is minimized by buying the $500 cards. The activation fee of $6.95 takes the effective reward rate down to 3.61% [($25.00 — $6.95) / $500.00] but that is still ahead of 2% baseline for miscellaneous spending. He and his family use the Visa cards with tradesmen, small shops, etc. Anyone who accepts credit cards but isn't in a category that can ever be 5%.

He has a large family with a lot of constant necessary spending, so he never has such gift card funds sitting around for long not earning any money. But his strategy won't make sense for everyone.
The thought of all of that activity makes me feel tired. I have other hobbies at this stage in life. I cancelled my Chase card... the rotating categories are too much work. Love my Costco VISA with 4% back on gas--anywhere, and 3% back for travel and restaurants. 2% Citibank Mastercard for everywhere else, and Amazon VISA with 5% on Amazon and Whole Foods. (Whole Foods is coming quite near my house, and I don't plan to buy much there, but when I do, it will be on the Amazon VISA with 5% back.)
I admire you churners!

Post Reply