What household income is considered "comfortable" where you live?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
mathwhiz

What household income is considered "comfortable" where you live?

Post by mathwhiz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:44 pm

I guess everyone will have a different definition of comfortable. I define it as solidly upper middle class. You are able to own a nice single family home in a good school district. You are able to eat out and take a family vacation each summer and not sweat the small stuff like an unexpected car repair or health care bill. You are able to save for retirement or college, etc.

I live in a rural/exurb area where it's common for people to commute up to an hour into the city for work and a family can live comfortably on $100k a year which is about double the median income of the area. Cost of living is generally very low compared to big cities in metro areas since there is little local work available. Everyone commutes into the city. You can own a house on acreage for under $200k, a really nice house for $300k. It's not for everyone but I like the peace and quiet even if I have to deal with long commutes.

iamblessed

Re: What household income is considered "comfortable" where you live?

Post by iamblessed » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 pm

mathwhiz wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:44 pm
I guess everyone will have a different definition of comfortable. I define it as solidly upper middle class. You are able to own a nice single family home in a good school district. You are able to eat out and take a family vacation each summer and not sweat the small stuff like an unexpected car repair or health care bill. You are able to save for retirement or college, etc.

I live in a rural/exurb area where it's common for people to commute up to an hour into the city for work and a family can live comfortably on $100k a year which is about double the median income of the area. Cost of living is generally very low compared to big cities in metro areas since there is little local work available. Everyone commutes into the city. You can own a house on acreage for under $200k, a really nice house for $300k. It's not for everyone but I like the peace and quiet even if I have to deal with long commutes.
The average household income where I live is around 55k. We are comfortable on 20k. I think you make your own comfort.

TheLaughingCow

Post by TheLaughingCow » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:51 pm

$60k if you're a saver.

$50k if you aren't.

Assuming 1-2 children.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Haven't done a survey to ask. People don't talk about their incomes, nor whether they feel comfortable or not.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:54 pm

There are many variables.
Any way, FYI
"For example, $192,530 per year is “in the upper-income tier”—that is, the top 30 percent of earners—for a household of up to three people in San Francisco. But for four persons under the same income, that counts as middle class."
https://sf.curbed.com/2019/2/25/1823982 ... rea-salary

fposte

Post by fposte » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Nerdwallet's Cost of Living Calculator is good for this--it gives an overall result but also breaks it down into categories to compare.

There are people comfortable around here at all kinds of incomes, so I don't know what number I'd give.

dru808

Post by dru808 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:00 pm

$100,000 for a family of 3-4. This would be lower middle class. We’re a family of 3 with a income about 70% higher. Middle class

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:03 pm

"What household income is considered "comfortable" where you live?" - without stating ones location, I'm unclear how this would be useful.

As making say 50k in rural Iowa vs San Francisco are vastly different, despite being the same amount of $$.

dru808

Post by dru808 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:15 pm

student wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:03 pm
This is a good resource.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... dle-class/
Cool tool, I guess we’re considered upper middle class.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:28 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.