Nursing home <$10K in NJ/PA

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PlayingLife

Nursing home <$10K in NJ/PA

Post by PlayingLife » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:33 pm

I've called ~20 nursing homes around North NJ on behalf of a family member and I see most seem to range $10.5 - $13K per month. There is one facility in PA for memory care that is $8K/month but this is for a specific need that is not fitting for this given family member. Does anyone know of any options that were less than $10K per month?

Katietsu

Re: Nursing home <$10K in NJ/PA

Post by Katietsu » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 pm

If you are willing to place the family member in PA, I would try the Area Agency on Aging for the county or counties that you would consider. The county that I used was able to provide a list of homes and some direction as to which ones were most likely to meet my needs. Most of them provided fees online.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:40 pm

At those prices, it is very tempting, when it is time, to have the family haul me around west (on my dime) to see some wonderful sites. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Sadly, elder care in nursing homes is very expensive, and as care requirements go up, so do the bills. You may find cheaper, but eastern PA, NJ is expensive and that sounds like that is the required area.

Best of luck in a difficult situation.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:13 pm

I removed an off-topic comment. Please be sensitive to others when discussing end-of-life issues.
Katietsu wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 pm
If you are willing to place the family member in PA, I would try the Area Agency on Aging for the county or counties that you would consider. The county that I used was able to provide a list of homes and some direction as to which ones were most likely to meet my needs. Most of them provided fees online.
Here's the link: Area Agencies on Aging (for PA)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:26 pm

The PA link leads to the Medicare Nursing Home Compare

I believe this is the type of comparison you are looking for. When you run the comparisons, take a close look at not only how many violations each facility has, but the type of violation involved (health, safety, or administrative).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:17 pm

https://www.familyassets.com/nursing-ho ... zabethtown

Masonic Village in Elizabethtown, PA is one of the best care facilities in the state and one of the very few that I would willingly put a family member in.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Is your family member by chance a Veteran, or was their spouse? There is Aid & Attendance money available if so. Not near that much, but it is a start.
Assisted living in Houston runs about $4k a month, nursing homes slightly less, without Medicaid.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:07 pm

I believe aournd $10,420 is the average private pay monthly rate in PA. So obviously half of the nursing homes charge more and the other half charge less. I'd assume in some parts of PA it might be cheaper (like it might be more expensive closer to Phila or NY and cheaper in rural PA. but that's just a guess). Also, sometimes you might get what you pay for (I know where I am some of the cheaper places don't offer as good care as more expensive places).

Anyway, you could search by price (if that's your main requirement):

https://www.caregiverlist.com/Pennsylva ... Costs.aspx

I believe the recommendation for Masonic Village is generally true.

Honestly different people have both complained and praised the same nursing homes, so it can be very specific to your experience, etc.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 pm

^^^ Good points. Yes, you will find both good and bad reviews of the same nursing home.

I've had some recent discussions about nursing homes from someone "in the business".* One other point is that you need to be aware that certain websites, such as A Place for Mom, get their revenue from referral fees paid when someone uses their service to move into the facility. Those facility reviews may not be totally unbiased.
Our community partners pay us for placement services.
Your best approach is to visit the facility directly and simply observe what's going on. Visit them without any prior notice and ask for a tour.

* The discussions were about someone else - not me. I'm fine.

Len42

Post by Len42 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:50 am

You might check out Brandywine Living at Dresher Estates, 1405 Limekiln Pike, Dresher, PA 19025.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:40 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 pm
^^^ Good points. Yes, you will find both good and bad reviews of the same nursing home.

I've had some recent discussions about nursing homes from someone "in the business".* One other point is that you need to be aware that certain websites, such as A Place for Mom, get their revenue from referral fees paid when someone uses their service to move into the facility. Those facility reviews may not be totally unbiased.
Your best approach is to visit the facility directly and simply observe what's going on. Visit them without any prior notice and ask for a tour.

I contacted A Place for Mom when first looking at nursing homes for my FIL. In addition to understanding that they are essentially a marketing agency for nursing homes, keep in mind that if the nursing home isn't one of their clients, you won't hear about it, so if you want to do a more comprehensive survey of facilities in the area, you still need to do your own homework.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:49 am

Someone I know was in one in the NJ suburbs of NYC. I thought it was pretty good. It would have been about $13,500 a month if the person hadn't been getting Medicaid.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:52 am

It may be difficult in PA to locate a decent facility at that price. We were paying over $11K per month, and ours is not a high COL area, and that was three years ago. The other two locations our attorney suggested were about the same price. If you think you will run out of money find a place that will keep your family member on Medicaid when the money runs out and with the same level of care.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Based on my recent discussions with someone in the nursing home business, I'll throw in a number of $400/day for a person needing a high level of care in the Philadelphia area (suburb, not in the city directly).

That's $12,000 / month (30 days), $146,000 /year (365 days).

Topic Author
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:59 am

Lalamimi wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:51 pm
Is your family member by chance a Veteran, or was their spouse? There is Aid & Attendance money available if so. Not near that much, but it is a start.
Assisted living in Houston runs about $4k a month, nursing homes slightly less, without Medicaid.
We are filling out the Aid & Attendance forms now via some basic assistance from our Elder Law Attorney. Their income is $6800 + $6200 monthly from LTC Insurance payouts so I'm nervous this may exclude them. Also total assets are around $120K + they have a couple of annuities with death benefits around $250K...not certain if this excludes them. I'm waiting to hear back from my attorney on these points. Thanks for pointing this out as it would indeed bring an extra $1800 towards the cost of the facility. He meets the core criteria such as specific years of service and honorable discharge.

Topic Author
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 am

Len42 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:50 am
You might check out Brandywine Living at Dresher Estates, 1405 Limekiln Pike, Dresher, PA 19025.
THank you

Topic Author
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 am

kevinf wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:17 pm
https://www.familyassets.com/nursing-ho ... zabethtown

Masonic Village in Elizabethtown, PA is one of the best care facilities in the state and one of the very few that I would willingly put a family member in.
Thank you

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:44 am

Pigeon wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:40 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 pm

I contacted A Place for Mom when first looking at nursing homes for my FIL. In addition to understanding that they are essentially a marketing agency for nursing homes, keep in mind that if the nursing home isn't one of their clients, you won't hear about it, so if you want to do a more comprehensive survey of facilities in the area, you still need to do your own homework.
I'll go further and say that I believe if you can use a search engine on the internet*, A Place for Mom is a serious time waster. You will learn nothing, their "recommendations" are, as noted above, based on referral fees. I was extremely sorry I contacted them. Just don't go there.

* and maybe if you can't

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:15 am

Keep in mind one of the most important things, if at all possible, is choosing a facility where family can visit regularly. Of course visit, research and ask questions. Having said that, what you will see during a visit is a snapshot. The care can change dramatically when a shift changes and a new CNA(s) and nurse come on. Or when it is late and the admin leaders are at home. It's not an easy job. My elder law attorney told me one facility was the third best in my county but the only one I could get her into at the time. She had two major lapses in care while there. Although my attorney was aware he later rated the facility second best in the county and sent his father there when he could not care at home. Point being even the good facilities can have problems. Even worse if your family member cannot speak. Best if someone can visit regularly and at different times. I went 3 or 4 days a week and I wish I could have gotten there more often.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:46 pm

I don’t know if they have this in PA or NJ, but here in AZ the state licenses what they call “assisted living group homes”. I had never even heard of them. I was referred by a social worker at a facility I looked at where the horror on my face - at both the condition of the physical plant and the price - was apparently visible.

She referred me to an agent who listened to my needs, and took me to a wonderful family-run assisted living group home, where a husband and wife, with three teenage children, cared for my late bed-bound husband for two years as though he was their uncle. I later learned that 100 of these homes ring my huge senior community and that our main local social services agency makes referrals to the agents for these homes. I cannot say enough about the wonderful, warm, personalized care he received (at $4000/month).

NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:27 pm

Mitchell777 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:15 am
Keep in mind one of the most important things, if at all possible, is choosing a facility where family can visit regularly.
This is the most important thing (and cost also). Family member went through similar situation recently. Even we visited almost daily, we found serious service issues during the last days when family member was going through memory loss. During those visits, we couldn't see back of the family member which caused serious medical issue leading to demise. We were under impression that facility was taking care of cleaning as well as communicating to us regarding issues (and that was not the case).

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:56 pm

PlayingLife wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:59 am
Lalamimi wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:51 pm
We are filling out the Aid & Attendance forms now via some basic assistance from our Elder Law Attorney. Their income is $6800 + $6200 monthly from LTC Insurance payouts so I'm nervous this may exclude them. Also total assets are around $120K + they have a couple of annuities with death benefits around $250K...not certain if this excludes them. I'm waiting to hear back from my attorney on these points. Thanks for pointing this out as it would indeed bring an extra $1800 towards the cost of the facility. He meets the core criteria such as specific years of service and honorable discharge.
Good to hear you are filing. Hopefully they meet the criteria. My mom had only her SS, so it was easy, but takes awhile. Once filed, even if wrong, the clock on payment starts. Hopefully they qualify. It really should not be based on anything but their service. Good luck.