Why does Chase bonus require in-person sign up?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Caduceus

Why does Chase bonus require in-person sign up?

Post by Caduceus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:16 pm

I've been receiving these occasional Chase offers in my email, like probably everyone else here. The ones that say you get $200 or more for setting up a Chase checking/savings account. But what I don't understand is why I have to physically go down to a branch (there's none near me) and I can't open them up online.

Are they trying to upsell products? Or am I just getting something simple wrong? For those folks who have managed to get the bonus, could you set it up online?

runner540

Re: Why does Chase bonus require in-person sign up?

Post by runner540 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:16 pm
I've been receiving these occasional Chase offers in my email, like probably everyone else here. The ones that say you get $200 or more for setting up a Chase checking/savings account. But what I don't understand is why I have to physically go down to a branch (there's none near me) and I can't open them up online.

Are they trying to upsell products? Or am I just getting something simple wrong? For those folks who have managed to get the bonus, could you set it up online?
I got one but went in person (3 yrs ago). I think they're trying to filter out serial account openers, and use the bonus only for "sticky" customers.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:21 pm

They've started doing this recently with the larger bonuses to curb out of area bonus chasers - they want local customers who will use the bank long term.

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:25 pm

arf30 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:21 pm
They've started doing this recently with the larger bonuses to curb out of area bonus chasers - they want local customers who will use the bank long term.
This doesn't quite make sense to me though. Chase would make most of its money off my use of the checking account as long as I put money in it, use it to pay bills, and maybe end up with other of their products. Lots of people never step into a bank these days for any of their banking transactions. I'm not sure why they need to curb "out of area" folks, whatever that even means!

Oh well, looks like no bonus for me. The nearest branch is really far.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 pm

They want to cross sell you other stuff.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:36 pm

I've been able to earn some large Chase bonuses without going to my local soul-sucking Chase branch. I'm assuming you are using mailers. The mailers I have gotten have never been better than the public offers, or I was otherwise ineligible because I was in the anti-churn period.

If it's truly better than the public offer, I suggest you go get yourself a free sucker and a free cup of coffee at your local branch. If you have children, bring them also and don't bother limiting their activities. That should move things along.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:25 pm
How far is far? Would the $600 combo bonus offer (YMMV) make it worthwhile?

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:25 pm
arf30 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:21 pm
This doesn't quite make sense to me though. Chase would make most of its money off my use of the checking account as long as I put money in it, use it to pay bills, and maybe end up with other of their products. Lots of people never step into a bank these days for any of their banking transactions. I'm not sure why they need to curb "out of area" folks, whatever that even means!

It also doesn't make sense because they cheerfully give the bonus to people who walk into a branch far from home. I got my last Chase bonus by walking into a branch while traveling for business in California. I live in NC and at the time I got the bonus there were no Chase branches in NC at all.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:52 pm

They see all your old accounts when you go in, too, the banker doesn't care ,he presumably is hitting his quota and gets something out of it.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:16 pm

OP - try entering the code at chase.com/startnow ... also check your PM ...

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:53 pm

Because its their bank and they can do whatever they want.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

Pitagoras

Post by Pitagoras » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:58 am

I cashed in the 300 bucks bonus 2 years ago, but I had a branch in my neighborhood. I remember they needed to physically see my documentation and scan it in. Every change I need to do I need to produce the original documents (Social, DL, etc.). So maybe that is the reason, the clerk who scans them in certifies that he had the original documents with her/him.