Help :- Need a power wheelchair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
glee273

Help :- Need a power wheelchair

Post by glee273 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:17 am

Hello All,

Im looking to purchase a lightweight foldable power wheelchair for my father with stroke. We are looking to get something thats foldable, lightweight and fits in the trunk of a compact car. I do like the one below but its way out of my price range. Unfortunately dads not covered by insurance and Ill have to purchase this out of pocket.

Looking for any insights into how to get a cheaper power wheelchair. All help in this matter is appreciated.

Thank you all

https://www.wheelchair88.com/product/pw-999ul/

GmanJeff

Re: Help :- Need a power wheelchair

Post by GmanJeff » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 am

Look for a used model within your budget. Craig's List and Next Door may yield units for sale and you can also post "wanted" ads to solicit people who may have what you're looking for but who have not yet gotten around to listing them for sale.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:45 am

Agreed- used.

jryan

Post by jryan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi glee,

I have no experience in this area, so please do your own due diligence before acting on this information.

There is a Air Hawk Lightweight Electric Wheel Chair on craigslist near New Orleans which appears to be similar to the Foldawheel PW-999UL that you mentioned. Perhaps you are close enough that it can be considered.

There are a few Cruise Critic topics where the Air Hawk wheelchair and similar models are discussed.

Good luck on finding a power wheelchair that will met your father's needs.

Best wishes to you and your dad!

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:17 pm

eBay has several brands and models in the $900-$1100 range, some with free returns.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Is your father by chance a Veteran? If so, look into benefits. There are many.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:36 am

Here's something I learned in 2010 when I bought a $3500 powered scooter for my father (with his money.) This was not a large $10k or $25k power chair, just a scooter.

The owner of the local medical equipment company told me that the $3500 price was the Medicare price for approved patients and that they were required to provide 5 years of warranty and support. He sold me the same one for $2400 with one year of support.

Fwiw, he gave me a long history of why there were so many television ads for power scooters at one time and then they suddenly stopped. The short version is that Medicare was paying $5000. Then they reduced it to $3500. Every single time Medicare cracks down on equipment reimbursement the advertisers move on to something else... braces, diabetic supplies, catheters.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:41 am

I haven't looked specifically for wheelchairs but the local medical supply company in town that sold new equipment also sold used equipment when I was looking for a walker with wheels for a grandparent. They were in a back room instead of being on display next to the new stuff.

senex

Post by senex » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:48 pm

When last I tried donating one, Salvation Army turned it away because they already had too many.

There is lots of lightly-used stuff out there, it's just a matter of finding it. Try thrift stores, churches, senior centers, charities, etc.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:49 pm

A powered wheelchair or some kind of powered scooter?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 pm

If someone needs a wheelchair, I doubt that a scooter would work. I expect the scooter is not allowed indoors. The person who would use it had a stroke.

brandy

Post by brandy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:56 pm

There's a place here called WORLDCARE. Seems it would be at least national, but I don't know. Maybe there's something like it in your area: World Care is a _______ based non-profit that takes in donated electronics, medical supplies and personal care items then provides these items to members of the community who need them the most. Through the refurbishing, recycling and redistribution of these donated goods we combat extreme need in_______ however it arises.
You may have to get on a list, and may not ever get an item, depends on what is donated, and what the need is. A friend did get a nice walker from them and is still using it.

Topic Author
glee273

Post by glee273 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:31 pm

Thank you !! really like the air hawk wheel chair.. ill lo0k into this.

jryan wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Hi glee,

I have no experience in this area, so please do your own due diligence before acting on this information.

There is a Air Hawk Lightweight Electric Wheel Chair on craigslist near New Orleans which appears to be similar to the Foldawheel PW-999UL that you mentioned. Perhaps you are close enough that it can be considered.

There are a few Cruise Critic topics where the Air Hawk wheelchair and similar models are discussed.

Good luck on finding a power wheelchair that will met your father's needs.

Best wishes to you and your dad!

Topic Author
glee273

Post by glee273 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Thank you for replying... Unfortunately dad doesnt qualify for any discounts.

He had stroke but hes still functioning well ...recovery on the right side is about 30%.. he goes to physiotherapy every day.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:46 pm

"I expect the scooter is not allowed indoors."

In the USA the Americans with Disability Act certainly permits the use of electric mobility scooters indoors at all so-called covered entities - generally any place open to the public, etc. Use may be refused if a clear cut safety issue is involved. It's not enough for the facility to fear that something might happen.

www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:58 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:41 am
I haven't looked specifically for wheelchairs but the local medical supply company in town that sold new equipment also sold used equipment when I was looking for a walker with wheels for a grandparent. They were in a back room instead of being on display next to the new stuff.
That's true where I live also. Also years ago my aunt who had MS got a free wheelchair from some MS society; so perhaps there is help like that available.

I would also check with the hospital social worker.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:42 am

glee273 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:17 am
Unfortunately dads not covered by insurance and Ill have to purchase this out of pocket.
It is the open enrolment period for ACA healthcare.

I don't know if insurance would cover this in his situation but if he does not have insurance then he should get signed up for it.

jucor

Post by jucor » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:37 pm

OP,

Why is your father not covered by insurance?

Are you in the US? How old is he? Have you looked at ACA plans if he does not qualify for Medicare or Medicaid?

I agree with others that used is the way to go -- but it seems to me that getting Dad insured should be a high priority.
Last edited by jucor on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Years ago I had a powered wheelchair to sell. Because the government subsidies them, there is a very small demand for used wheelchairs. I ended up donating it to charity. I would agree with the first poster: Craig's List or Nextdoor.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 pm

andypanda wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:46 pm

In the USA the Americans with Disability Act certainly permits the use of electric mobility scooters indoors at all so-called covered entities - generally any place open to the public, etc. Use may be refused if a clear cut safety issue is involved. It's not enough for the facility to fear that something might happen.

www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm
Thank you for the info. I didn’t know about a mobility scooter and didn’t think a gas powered scooter appropriate.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 pm
andypanda wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:46 pm

www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm
Thank you for the info. I didn’t know about a mobility scooter and didn’t think a gas powered scooter appropriate.
The majority of scooters in the U.S. are battery-powered.

Topic Author
glee273

Post by glee273 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm

thanks guys...My dad is currently not in US hence not eligible for any insurance. I actually did locate one on ebay for 750..