Another Laptop Question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cheyenne

Another Laptop Question

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 am

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion Laptop "Entertainment PC" that is about 10 years old with:

- Windows Vista OS
- Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T7250 @ 2.00GHz
- 4 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
- Upgraded with a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G hard drive

I have never had any problems with it, but the OS is now obsolete.

Would it be worth doing a clean Windows 10 install on it, or would it be wiser to just buy a new laptop?

Thanks in advance for you comments.
Ted

Arbol

Re: Another Laptop Question

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:44 am

Buy a new laptop.

Don't expect current software to run on 10 years old hardware.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:48 am

I wouldn’t on such an old device. You might get a little more life out of it by installing Linux or a chrome os clone.
https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

https://www.rankred.com/chrome-os-alternatives/

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am

If you're happy with it other than the OS, my only concern about upgrading it would be does the OS run on it and is there a problem with drivers. No sense wasting money on something new you don't need.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am

Arbol wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:44 am
Buy a new laptop.

This. I just bit the bullet and ordered a new laptop. My old one is from 2012 and can no longer update it. The old laptop is in good shape and will keep it in order to have a cd player available.

Topic Author
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:57 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am
Arbol wrote:
Buy a new laptop.

This. I just bit the bullet and ordered a new laptop. My old one is from 2012 and can no longer update it. The old laptop is in good shape and will keep it in order to have a cd player available.
Thanks, but what's a CD? :D

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:01 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Arbol wrote:
Buy a new laptop.

Why would you ever have a need for an outdated laptop with a CD player? You can stream Nirvanna. :D

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 am

The major problem with an old laptop is the battery. After 10 years, that battery is probably shot. A replacement is going to be hard to come by and expensive relative to the benefits.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:08 am

Arbol wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:01 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Arbol wrote:
Buy a new laptop.

Why would you ever have a need for an outdated laptop with a CD player? You can stream Nirvanna. :D
I have cds I would like to re-rip at higher bit rate. That is all. And I haven’t yet decided to join the streaming music crowd.

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:13 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:08 am
Arbol wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Arbol wrote:
Buy a new laptop.

I have cds I would like to re-rip at higher bit rate. That is all. And I haven’t yet decided to join the streaming music crowd.
My buddies and I spent hours ripping MP3s during the 90's. Loaded them onto these 160GB WD hard drives. Glorious days.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:45 am

New
Black Friday
Or Sooner
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:52 am

Without a doubt buy a new laptop, they are so cheap for an 'average' model. Talking $250-$500. If you're running Vista, I'd guess you don't need or require a top end machine.

Black Friday (weekend) or Cyber Monday might be a good day to pull the trigger. https://www.techradar.com/cyber-monday/ ... onday-2019

You could remove any personal data off your current one, and assuming you run some form of firewall etc, use it for websurfing only kinda of thing, just don't login to financial accounts or the like on it.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:54 am

I would do it (keep and load Win10). I am rocking a 10-year old Dell right now that I bought as a refurb.

I tossed in an SSD and it runs like a champ with Win10.

No need to upgrade for me!

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:56 am

Cleaning up an old laptop with a fresh installation of an up-to-date operating system and dedicating it to your investments / banking is a good low-tech security measure. Set it up with a unique password and do not let it hook up automatically to the internet. Hook it up only to get software updates and to only access only a few well-guarded sensitive sites. Then disconnect when done.

Using a password manager like LastPass or McAfee's True Key greatly reduces phishing risk and eliminates the risk of someone stumbling onto your secret stash of passwords. The same software can be added to other computers to be used in the event your old laptop decides to give up the ghost unexpectedly.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:08 am
Arbol wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Arbol wrote:
Buy a new laptop.

Consider an external cd/dvd player for this rather than the old laptop. Avoids issues with rip software on old pc. External costs as low as $20 at Newegg.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Arbol wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 am
The major problem with an old laptop is the battery. After 10 years, that battery is probably shot. A replacement is going to be hard to come by and expensive relative to the benefits.
I can find older laptop batteries at this web site - https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/Default.asp for a fair price.

I think the better question is does your laptop have enough RAM and disk space to handle the newest OS needs. I overbuilt my Dell XPS laptop and had it stuffed with as much disk space (terabyte) and RAM (maxed it out) with an eye towards how OS software needs always expand and never contract.

No matter how charged your battery is, you can't get around the need for space.

CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm in a similar situation in that my laptop runs on Windows 7 and it's no longer going to be supported by Microsoft after mid-January. I had tried some years ago to update it to Windows 10, but I ran into problems with it after a few months. I took it to the Geek Squad over at Best Buy, who basically told me to go back to Windows 7 at the time and wait till I need a new computer with Windows 10 already installed. My present computer still works, but I don't want to risk not having periodic updates after support ends. So I'm shopping for a laptop now as well. Actually I'm looking for one with an optical drive that plays DVDs/CDs, since I like the feature and don't really want an external one to shlep along. I tend to mostly use the laptop at home anyway, except for some travel, and I like being able to rip CDs to the computer and also some video clips as well from DVDs. They still do make these types of computers; they aren't not necessarily top of the line (since many of those are sleek and the optical drive takes up space), but compared to what were made 7-8 year ago, the computers today are still better. I've found several that have a combination SSD (for booting quicker and making the computer run faster) and hard drives for more storage than a typical SSD only will give you with 8 MBs and i5 drives, 8th generation for less than $600. I've been doing some research on a few models and have added the app Honey to see if prices go down. I still have a few months left before Windows support ends, so I'll see if the prices have dropped any around Black Friday and Cyber Monday and buy either then or in the weeks that follow.

I guess that after I transfer my programs and files (most backed up on an external drive), I can reset my computer to its initial settings (either through the computer or the backup discs I made when I got the computer). Is that considered safe enough so my personal files won't appear? Alternatively, I have a WipeDrive app I bought probably 7-8 years ago from my last computer. I could conceivably (after backing up my files and programs), use Wipe Drive, then use the backup discs to reset to factory presets. Do you think that would work?

I guess I could still use this computer at that point to play CDs/DVDs, play some games, etc, and would probably be safe as long as I don't use the internet or bluetooth type connections. Hopefully Windows will let me transfer my Office Home and Student 2010 to the new computer, as it already does what I need it to do.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Thanks.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:34 pm

The cost to buy an upgraded version of Windows vs. the cost of a new laptop, assuming basic needs, are not that different. I would buy a new one. You are on borrowed time with the old one. If you don't have special needs (re-encoding video, CAD, gaming, etc) decent, new Windows laptops can be had for $200-$400.

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:59 pm

CrossOverGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:28 pm
I'm in a similar situation in that my laptop runs on Windows 7 and it's no longer going to be supported by Microsoft after mid-January. I had tried some years ago to update it to Windows 10, but I ran into problems with it after a few months. I took it to the Geek Squad over at Best Buy, who basically told me to go back to Windows 7 at the time and wait till I need a new computer with Windows 10 already installed. My present computer still works, but I don't want to risk not having periodic updates after support ends. So I'm shopping for a laptop now as well. Actually I'm looking for one with an optical drive that plays DVDs/CDs, since I like the feature and don't really want an external one to shlep along. I tend to mostly use the laptop at home anyway, except for some travel, and I like being able to rip CDs to the computer and also some video clips as well from DVDs. They still do make these types of computers; they aren't not necessarily top of the line (since many of those are sleek and the optical drive takes up space), but compared to what were made 7-8 year ago, the computers today are still better. I've found several that have a combination SSD (for booting quicker and making the computer run faster) and hard drives for more storage than a typical SSD only will give you with 8 MBs and i5 drives, 8th generation for less than $600. I've been doing some research on a few models and have added the app Honey to see if prices go down. I still have a few months left before Windows support ends, so I'll see if the prices have dropped any around Black Friday and Cyber Monday and buy either then or in the weeks that follow.

I guess that after I transfer my programs and files (most backed up on an external drive), I can reset my computer to its initial settings (either through the computer or the backup discs I made when I got the computer). Is that considered safe enough so my personal files won't appear? Alternatively, I have a WipeDrive app I bought probably 7-8 years ago from my last computer. I could conceivably (after backing up my files and programs), use Wipe Drive, then use the backup discs to reset to factory presets. Do you think that would work?

I guess I could still use this computer at that point to play CDs/DVDs, play some games, etc, and would probably be safe as long as I don't use the internet or bluetooth type connections. Hopefully Windows will let me transfer my Office Home and Student 2010 to the new computer, as it already does what I need it to do.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Thanks.
My bet would be that the previous win 10 problems came from doing an upgrade rather than a clean install. After program/data transfer to new computer or after s complete backup, i would wipe old hard drive and do a clean win 10 install. See if it behaves then.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:48 pm

One thing to budget for is that you may need to buy new software for your new laptop if you need to have something like MS Office on it.

It is also possible that something like a very old printer or scanner may not work with the new PC but my impression is that is not common.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:52 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 am
Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion Laptop "Entertainment PC" that is about 10 years old with:

- Windows Vista OS
- Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T7250 @ 2.00GHz
- 4 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
- Upgraded with a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G hard drive

I have never had any problems with it, but the OS is now obsolete.

Would it be worth doing a clean Windows 10 install on it, or would it be wiser to just buy a new laptop?

Thanks in advance for you comments.
Ted
If it were me, and I was planning on retiring the laptop without the upgrade, I'd give it a shot.

I've put Windows 10 on a variety of older PCs with success. Your system specs are well above the OS requirements. How well it runs it, on the other hand, will have to be seen. The SSD will certainly help.

I'm unclear if the Windows 10 upgrade tool--which will provide you USB install media for a clean install--will upgrade you for free at this point. I have yet to upgrade an older PC with it and receive a validation error.

If you feel like trying it out, the tool can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Click Download Tool Now, and you'll be able to create media for the clean install.

If this doesn't sound like a fun activity, or you want to leave the laptop functioning using Vista, do not attempt. :D

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:41 am

Cheyenne wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:57 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Arbol wrote:
Buy a new laptop.

Thanks, but what's a CD? :D
I don't like keeping old gear around. As soon as I buy something new, the old one must either be sold, donated, or recycled. My solution for dealing with CDs in a new machine has been a USB CD drive. I pull it out at least once a year to install turbotax.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:48 pm
It is also possible that something like a very old printer or scanner may not work with the new PC but my impression is that is not common.
This is the reason I haven't upgraded, other than I'm cheap and my current system does what I need. I have Photosmart 3210 all-in-ones which run on nothing later than XP SP3, and nothing today matches them for scanning quality, printing/copying quality. I use them extensively in copying old photos, making documents, etc. I did fork out for a Canon which according to its specs should have come close, but it was crap.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:45 pm

anoop wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:41 am
I don't like keeping old gear around. As soon as I buy something new, the old one must either be sold, donated, or recycled. My solution for dealing with CDs in a new machine has been a USB CD drive. I pull it out at least once a year to install turbotax.
That's a great attitude! I'm the opposite, keeping the old equipment as backup in case the upgrade doesn't do well. But I wind up keeping it longer than necessary, and when I upgrade again, the first is basically worthless, so it sits awaiting disposal. I've now got a collecting of vintage technology that should wind its way to the ecycling programs, but they seem to have dried up around me, and I've got to go looking. For a while they came knocking. I did get rid of my cassette player and some spare parallel cables recently, and I've got a few remnant 30 pin cables and idevices that I don't use anymore, and I'm sure my lightning cable corner is going to be replaced soon by usbc (that's all I'm starting to slowly buy now these days; if only they would standardize and stabilize the standard).
mhalley wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:48 am
I wouldn’t on such an old device. You might get a little more life out of it by installing Linux or a chrome os clone.
https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

https://www.rankred.com/chrome-os-alternatives/
A lightweight linux would be a great reuse! I'm not familiar with the Chrome OS alternatives, but Neverware Cloudready is a free Chromebook clone that I tried a bit back and worked surprisingly well (I hope it still is; I ran it on a laptop that was running Vista -- I think it was a Pentium processor so slower than what you have. It was a bit sluggish, but so are some Chromebooks, and expected.). It was easy to install and manage because of it's limitations. If you don't need offline programs, it's a great option; just don't expect it to outperform a $100 Chromebook.

https://www.neverware.com/pricing

If you need Windows programs or offline work, then definitely buy a new laptop. It's certainly overdue, but since you've been getting by with such an old system, I suspect your needs are not heavy. I've resisted upgrading my laptops because my needs have reduced and I'm focusing on moving to the cloud as much as possible or even eliminating unnecessary programs and data. The browser handles 90% of my needs, so I'm working towards finding acceptable alternatives for the rest.

tawebacon

Post by tawebacon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:14 pm

If you have some free time and some patience, I would:
- back up all your personal data on your laptop,
- verify that your backup works,
- verify it again and again (see below),
- download (for free) Ubuntu here (you want the "L"ong "T"erm "S"upport version: Ubuntu 18.04.X LTS),
- put what you downloaded to a bootable media (DVD or USB), and
- follow the tutorial here, during which you want to select "normal installation," which will => DELETE ALL YOUR DATA <=.

For help, their forum is a friendly space. It might help to search for your specific laptop (using e.g. a model number) in that forum to see others' experience installing/working with it.

With those specs, I would expect the laptop to work fine with Ubuntu, especially thanks to the RAM and SSD you have.

If it's too slow, try Linux Mint with the "Xfce" desktop (which makes it lightweight).

Note that if you purchased software for your Windows laptop, they will not work in Ubuntu or Mint. See here for some alternatives. To replace Microsoft Office, Ubuntu and Mint come with LibreOffice (free) pre-installed.

If you don't have time or are impatient, I would buy a new laptop; newer versions of Windows are demanding.

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:04 pm

For electronics recycling, I drop at Staples. No tube monitors accepted though.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 pm

anoop wrote:
A little OT, but you know they have a downloadable version of TurboTax, right? If you have Amazon Prime, you can even use those $1 slow shipping credits toward the downloadable version.

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:19 pm

02nz wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 pm
anoop wrote:
A little OT, but you know they have a downloadable version of TurboTax, right? If you have Amazon Prime, you can even use those $1 slow shipping credits toward the downloadable version.
I am aware of it, but for whatever reason* I keep getting the CD version at a local store typically Office Depot or Staples when they run a special. Last year I got it from Costco using a friend's membership.

* Is the downloadable version usable on both mac and windows as the CD version is, or is that OS specific? IIRC, it was OS specific which is what made me get the CD. In case I switch OSes, and want the old version (I keep the old versions around for at least 3 years in case there is an issue with my return), I think the CD version is more flexible.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 pm

anoop wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:19 pm
Is the downloadable version usable on both mac and windows as the CD version is, or is that OS specific? IIRC, it was OS specific which is what made me get the CD. In case I switch OSes, and want the old version (I keep the old versions around for at least 3 years in case there is an issue with my return), I think the CD version is more flexible.
It's OS-specific

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:32 pm

tawebacon wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:14 pm
If you have some free time and some patience, I would:
- back up all your personal data on your laptop,
- verify that your backup works,
- verify it again and again (see below),
- download (for free) Ubuntu here (you want the "L"ong "T"erm "S"upport version: Ubuntu 18.04.X LTS),
- put what you downloaded to a bootable media (DVD or USB), and
- follow the tutorial here, during which you want to select "normal installation," which will => DELETE ALL YOUR DATA <=.

For help, their forum is a friendly space. It might help to search for your specific laptop (using e.g. a model number) in that forum to see others' experience installing/working with it.

With those specs, I would expect the laptop to work fine with Ubuntu, especially thanks to the RAM and SSD you have.

If it's too slow, try Linux Mint with the "Xfce" desktop (which makes it lightweight).

Note that if you purchased software for your Windows laptop, they will not work in Ubuntu or Mint. See here for some alternatives. To replace Microsoft Office, Ubuntu and Mint come with LibreOffice (free) pre-installed.

If you don't have time or are impatient, I would buy a new laptop; newer versions of Windows are demanding.
I have 10yo HP laptop without the SSD and it runs Ubuntu 18.04 LTS just fine.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Just an update on my post above.

My hp laptop was a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Today I said what the heck and decided to update to Win 10.

I didn't do a fresh install as that will wipe out the Ubuntu boot loader (could fairly easily be fixed but why bother). I did the upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 and when the upgrader asked me what I wanted to keep, I selected, "Keep Nothing." According to what i have read that comes close to a clean install. (Shows you how little I use Windows.)

Took less than two hours and the Windows 10 works perfectly on this 2009 vintage laptop.

The machine is still a dual boot and I plan to mainly use Ubuntu Linux (95% of the time +) but I plan to boot into Windows each Sunday just so the updates don't get too far behind.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:48 pm
Just an update on my post above.

My hp laptop was a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Today I said what the heck and decided to update to Win 10.

I didn't do a fresh install as that will wipe out the Ubuntu boot loader (could fairly easily be fixed but why bother). I did the upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 and when the upgrader asked me what I wanted to keep, I selected, "Keep Nothing." According to what i have read that comes close to a clean install. (Shows you how little I use Windows.)

Took less than two hours and the Windows 10 works perfectly on this 2009 vintage laptop.

The machine is still a dual boot and I plan to mainly use Ubuntu Linux (95% of the time +) but I plan to boot into Windows each Sunday just so the updates don't get too far behind.
I have an old Dell D620, circa 2006 and it runs Win10 fine even though it only has 2.5Gb of memory. Old Dell's and HP's seem to have good support in running Win10. And the old high capacity battery keeps chugging along.

I use it occasionally to talk to other devices. However, it runs FireFox and browses the Web just fine.