[What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
student

Re: Name something you bought that wasn't cheap and glad you did

Post by student » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:09 pm

A large screen HDTV many years ago. It was about $3,000.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Probably my road bike. Cost a few thousand but I really enjoy riding it.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Probably my road bike. Cost a few thousand but I really enjoy riding it.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:49 am

Custom drapes.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 am

mrsbetsy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:10 pm
beardsworth wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:45 pm
OP, that search box at the top of each forum page can be your friend.

Do searches for "splurge" and "extravagance" to view multiple previous threads of this type.
Geez....what a buzzkill....what a fun thread!

Remodel kitchen and master bath. The master bath is absolutely perfect -- spa like and makes me happy every single morning.
Geez....what a buzzkill.... for you to describe my helpful attempt to point the OP toward even more fun threads, containing even more examples than this one, as a "buzzkill."

We, too, remodelled our kitchen and bath, something we'd never done in any previous house, and thoroughly enjoy both.

FraggleRock

I am a better cook

Post by FraggleRock » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 pm
A new kitchen which works so much better.
+1
Yes, indeed.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 am

20 year old speakers. You can overspend on A/V equipment that seems to constantly change but speaker technology has remained pretty constant for decades. Good high quality speakers bought 20 years ago still sound great today.

Al-Clad-Bought some for my wife 20 years ago and she has used them nearly every day since with zero issues. They will last our lifetme.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Big Green Egg grill.

Had it close to 15 years and still use it often.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:59 pm

dsmclone wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 am
20 year old speakers. You can overspend on A/V equipment that seems to constantly change but speaker technology has remained pretty constant for decades. Good high quality speakers bought 20 years ago still sound great today.
+1

Bought mine 40 years ago--felt outrageously expensive at the time. I saved them from joining the trash heap by re-foaming the surrounds several years ago. I'm probably happier about the re-foaming than I am about the original purchase since I thought they were goners.

bluejello

Post by bluejello » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Everything bed related - king size memory foam mattress, high quality sheets and goose down pillows. Makes getting into bed each night feel like a vacation.

Business class when I had to fly a 22+ hour flight at seven months pregnant.

Quartz kitchen countertops - gorgeous and zero maintenance.

Family vacations with my parents and siblings and in laws and kids. Last year we rented a house in Yosemite for a week; wonderful memories.
Last edited by bluejello on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:41 pm

MacBook Pro

Bought it ~8 years ago while in college. Replaced the hard drive with a SSD, replaced the battery, and upgraded the RAM a couple years ago (total cost ~$250). Still runs like new.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Peloton. LOVE the bike, the experience, the results.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:01 pm

catdude wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:11 pm
I bought a specialized cat ladder (7-step) for my kitties. They love it. Cost (including shipping): $400. Worth every penny...
Tease! This post requires pix and videos. Lots of them.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:18 pm

The year off I took in my 20s.
The year off we took in our 30s.
The year off we took when our first child was born.
The year off we took when our second child was born.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm

halfnine wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:18 pm
The year off I took in my 20s.
The year off we took in our 30s.
The year off we took when our first child was born.
The year off we took when our second child was born.
Yes! Well done.
Funding secured

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Woodshark wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:41 pm
theunknowntech wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 pm
A Sawstop table saw. I have twenty digits and I'm very attached to them.
I'm retired, I've been around and seen a lot of stuff go down, and that's what the money's for.
I agree. Buying one next week to get the free mobile base. I've still got all my digits but I'm buying it as (I think) my last table saw. I consider it cheap insurance for the older me in 10-20 years.
The sawstop videos are impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:04 pm

I merged jehovasfitness' thread into here, which is a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Art. If I see it and love it, I find a way to purchase it. I've had pieces of art that I loved get away due to procrastination - learned that lesson and resolved not to let it happen again. Mostly, it has not.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 pm

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I just acquired a new-to-me violin that I absolutely love. Made in Mirecourt, France around 1900 or so... give or take a decade. Sounds amazing when I play it. About 9k, quite a bit more than the (not bad) student instrument I have.
Last edited by investingdad on Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Next week, I will be taking a stand-up workshop in NYC. The total cost of the class, lodging, Amtrak, and meals is over $1,000.

A couple weeks ago, I signed for the Farnam Street's ReThink workshop at the end of February, which is $2,500 for two-and-a-half days. Amtrak, hotel and food are additional expenses.

None of these are impulsive decisions. After taking other comedy classes and attending a previous FS workshop, I consider that the value justifies the cost. The October FS workshop sold out in 90 minutes; the February workshop sold out in 73 minutes.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:03 am

I've been known to do weird-frugal things when I travel if it's just a matter of comfort (as opposed to health or safety). So I'm kind of proud of myself for doing something un-Mandy like. Specifically, for one direction of an upcoming trip, I decided to pay $231 for first class (first leg about 3 hours, second leg about 1.5 hours) instead of $122 for basic economy, $157 for main cabin, or $181 for Comfort Plus. For my starting and ending cities, every other flight on every airline on that day cost more than $231 for the lowest class of service. I usually fly nonstop and decided that $109 (compared to basic economy) to get first class on both segments gave me good bang for my buck.

mimn15

Post by mimn15 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:43 pm

A couple weeks ago, I signed for the Farnam Street's ReThink workshop at the end of February, which is $2,500 for two-and-a-half days. Amtrak, hotel and food are additional expenses.

Victoria
Do you mind sharing your experience of the ReThink Workshop? Fan of Farnam Street blog and podcast, so curious to know more about the workshop. Thank you.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 pm

mimn15 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 am
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Do you mind sharing your experience of the ReThink Workshop? Fan of Farnam Street blog and podcast, so curious to know more about the workshop. Thank you.
I'd be curious, too. Are you a paid member of his site? I am not but wondering if that's un-frugal enough to splurge. Love the podcast.
Don't Work Forever.

navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:34 pm

investingdad wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 pm
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I just acquired a new-to-me violin that I absolutely love. Made in Mirecourt, France around 1900 or so... give or take a decade. Sounds amazing when I play it. About 9k, quite a bit more than the (not bad) student instrument I have.
I'd consider that frugal. A comparable Cremonese violin would cost far more!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:10 pm

I just spent $$$ getting 3 new sets of eyeglasses directly from my optometrist.* Yes, this is the in-house cash cow that takes advantage of his customers patients being in the office. I could have saved $$ using a mail order service.

Why? I've known him for over 20 years and trust him implicitly. I'm critical with my vision and have confidence that any problem, even a minor one, will be taken care of with no questions asked. His staff knows their stuff and helps me with my frame selections.

BTW, room lighting and seeing the glasses on you "live" in 3-dimensions makes a huge difference in appearance compared to a picture on the internet.

* One frame with lenses, 2 sets of lenses to replace the lenses on two existing frames.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:58 am

I just bought an Aillio Bullet coffee roaster. I've been waiting for Sweet Marias to get them back in stock 8 months. A bit of a learning curve but it's fun !
I just brewed my first pot of coffee roasted on the Bullet - WOW! Big difference from the old Behmor.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Yukon wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 pm
mimn15 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I'd be curious, too. Are you a paid member of his site? I am not but wondering if that's un-frugal enough to splurge. Love the podcast.
I am a member of the Farnam Street Learning Community (FS/LC) and I consider it $150/year well spent. My initial reason for joining the LS was access to the podcast transcripts, but the LC discussion forum is excellent in its own right. In comparison to the Bogleheads Forum, it has fewer people and a wider range of discussions, including economics, health, and other topics that are outside the BH scope.

The October ReThink workshop has started with a Wednesday night reception, followed by two days of activities. The main emphasis was on networking and team work. The activities were designed to engage creativity. For example, in one exercise, everybody had to write down some sport or activity, then pair with another person, and develop a description of an activity that was a mix of the two. My activity was Solitaire, and I paired with a guy who had Golf. We came up with the details of how our game SOGO would work.

In another activity, out table had to create a marketing campaign to entice North Americans to eat insects. We created a presentation modeled on the Ice Bucket Challenge, where each of us was a celebrity drinking an insect smoothy. (I was Melania.)

The people I've met there were amazing: very smart, highly accomplished, friendly, funny. On the first day, we went around the table to state our main current challenge and receive the feedback. The feedback I've received alone has justified the workshop for me.

I had a lot of fun at the Seattle ReThink and signed for the one in Boston in February. The Seattle theme was Design, the Boston theme will be Decision Making, and the latter is more relevant to my interests.

In Seattle, I did not stay at the event hotel because it was about $300/night, and instead found a place for a third of the price within 10 minute walk. In the retrospect, it was a mistake, because I missed mingling with people at breakfasts and dinners. In Boston, I will be staying at the event hotel.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Two remote garage door openers bought about 15 years ago, but never used.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:23 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:58 am
I just bought an Aillio Bullet coffee roaster. I've been waiting for Sweet Marias to get them back in stock 8 months. A bit of a learning curve but it's fun !
I just brewed my first pot of coffee roasted on the Bullet - WOW! Big difference from the old Behmor.
List price $4990? :oops: That is being unfrugal. (Maybe you paid less). My self-built roaster ran me about $70 for parts. Not nearly as nice, sure, but it gets the job done.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 am

Not sure where you got the $4990 price. I definitely paid a lot less but still a splurge for me !
Nicolas wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:23 am
LifeIsGood wrote:
List price $4990? :oops: That is being unfrugal. (Maybe you paid less). My self-built roaster ran me about $70 for parts. Not nearly as nice, sure, but it gets the job done.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Nicolas wrote:
LifeIsGood wrote:
It appears to be $2790 at Sweet Marias. I am now sorely tempted. I roast about 130 lbs per year on my Gene Cafe. I think LifeIsGood just determined what I want for my birthday! :D

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:32 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 pm
Nicolas wrote:
LifeIsGood wrote:
It appears to be $2790 at Sweet Marias. I am now sorely tempted. I roast about 130 lbs per year on my Gene Cafe. I think LifeIsGood just determined what I want for my birthday! :D
About 130 lbs of coffee grounds a year? Your plants will be happy.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:35 pm

LifeIsGood wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 am
Not sure where you got the $4990 price. I definitely paid a lot less but still a splurge for me !
Nicolas wrote:
LifeIsGood wrote:
My mistake, it was $4790, and that’s in Australian dollars :oops:
That converts to $3251 in USD as of right now.
Someone else upthread quoted a lower price at SM but still too rich for my taste.
But I get that this is a splurge thread so never mind.

I couldn’t find a price listed at Sweet Maria’s as it just says “out of stock” with no price listed, so I was casting about for a price. Again, my mistake.

https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/aillio-b ... ee-roaster

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:43 am

The new roof + windows on my house. Piece of mind. Will help when I sell it within the next 2 years.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:33 am

On an absolute basis not very expensive, but on a relative basis this is expensive. Just bought a jar of Luxardo cocktail cherries for my old fashions. If you entertain and/or just want to have a great addition to your own cocktails, I highly recommend getting a jar of them and the best buy date is 3 years away so they last a long time. :sharebeer

mimn15

Post by mimn15 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:34 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 pm
Yukon wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 pm
mimn15 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I am a member of the Farnam Street Learning Community (FS/LC) and I consider it $150/year well spent. My initial reason for joining the LS was access to the podcast transcripts, but the LC discussion forum is excellent in its own right. In comparison to the Bogleheads Forum, it has fewer people and a wider range of discussions, including economics, health, and other topics that are outside the BH scope.

The October ReThink workshop has started with a Wednesday night reception, followed by two days of activities. The main emphasis was on networking and team work. The activities were designed to engage creativity. For example, in one exercise, everybody had to write down some sport or activity, then pair with another person, and develop a description of an activity that was a mix of the two. My activity was Solitaire, and I paired with a guy who had Golf. We came up with the details of how our game SOGO would work.

In another activity, out table had to create a marketing campaign to entice North Americans to eat insects. We created a presentation modeled on the Ice Bucket Challenge, where each of us was a celebrity drinking an insect smoothy. (I was Melania.)

The people I've met there were amazing: very smart, highly accomplished, friendly, funny. On the first day, we went around the table to state our main current challenge and receive the feedback. The feedback I've received alone has justified the workshop for me.

I had a lot of fun at the Seattle ReThink and signed for the one in Boston in February. The Seattle theme was Design, the Boston theme will be Decision Making, and the latter is more relevant to my interests.

In Seattle, I did not stay at the event hotel because it was about $300/night, and instead found a place for a third of the price within 10 minute walk. In the retrospect, it was a mistake, because I missed mingling with people at breakfasts and dinners. In Boston, I will be staying at the event hotel.

Victoria
Appreciate your detailed response. Thinking of joining LC @ Farnam and will go ahead and do it. I developed a reading habit after listening to his podcasts. Just read books of people who he interviews and which match my interests. Would love to attend the workshops in the next year or two.

flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:55 am

I bought the gen 7 iPad this week for my elementary school kid, just because
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:27 pm

Bought a limited bottle of founders Canadian Breakfast Stout, bomber size. Cost 26$

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:33 pm

Big house - we love the extra space.
Eating out. We love to cook at home most of the time but do eat out whenever we feel like it which is about once or twice a week.

What I wish we spent more on:
- Clothing: I really need a new wardrobe. But I hate shopping and shopping for clothes is the absolute worst.