CHET in conjunction with Vanguard 529

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
vlacs

CHET in conjunction with Vanguard 529

Post by vlacs » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am

We have a ten year old, and have been contributing towards CHET a bit more than 20k over the last few years.The state tax exemption is capped at 10k, and we will qualify for that only if we participate in CHET.
My questions:
1. Can we contribute 10k towards CHET to qualify for tax exemption, and the remaining in Vanguard’s 529 plan(after tax funds)
2. I was looking at plan comparison results, with respect to expenses, and you obviously can’t beat Vanguard in that. However, I couldn’t see a comparison between the last few years performance. Any inputs on this?
3. Is there any downside in splitting up 529 between two plans
Thanks,
Vlacs

anon_investor

Re: CHET in conjunction with Vanguard 529

Post by anon_investor » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:59 am

vlacs wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am
We have a ten year old, and have been contributing towards CHET a bit more than 20k over the last few years.The state tax exemption is capped at 10k, and we will qualify for that only if we participate in CHET.
My questions:
1. Can we contribute 10k towards CHET to qualify for tax exemption, and the remaining in Vanguard’s 529 plan(after tax funds)
2. I was looking at plan comparison results, with respect to expenses, and you obviously can’t beat Vanguard in that. However, I couldn’t see a comparison between the last few years performance. Any inputs on this?
3. Is there any downside in splitting up 529 between two plans
Thanks,
Vlacs
No legal or tax issues, just the added complexity of managing multiple accounts.