Tablet for 2 year old for long car trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Tablet for 2 year old for long car trip

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 pm

We are in need of a cheap but functional tablet for our 2 year old for a 7 hour car drive. We will be using a mobile phone as a hot spots and would like to be able to stream Disney+ or Hulu for the car ride. We would use it for this purpose only a few times a year. It would be used rarely or never otherwise.

Would a basic $50 Amazon Fire 7 tablet do the job?

1.3 GHz processor
1GB RAM
16 GB storage

runner3081

Re: Tablet for 2 year old for long car trip

Post by runner3081 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Yes more than enough.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:28 pm

We didn't (and don't) allow any screens for our kids except for Leapfrog. Might look at Leapfrog.

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:43 pm

We allow about an hour a day of TV (Disney stuff or educational). She is extremely independent and handles it fine when we take the screen away.

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Yes but I’d look at the 8 or 10 screen size for better screen and processor.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Putting a computer in front of your kid during a road trip helps deprive them of the views of new things they don't see at home and conversation about what is outside. Frequent interactive conversations with the little one are necessary for building his/her vocabulary.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:09 pm

We pretty much used audio books exclusively for all of our road trips. It has served us extremely well (since our kids were very little). I can do 18-24 hour drives with my 11 & 13 year old now. Something magical happens when kids listen to a story, holds their attention much longer than video (for some reason).

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:18 pm

The basic Amazon 7” worked great as a first tablet for a niece. The one limitation was that you were limited to the Amazon AppStore. So even though it is Android based you do not have access to all the choices from Google Play. I believe that is still the case.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 pm

celia wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:59 pm
Putting a computer in front of your kid during a road trip helps deprive them of the views of new things they don't see at home and conversation about what is outside. Frequent interactive conversations with the little one are necessary for building his/her vocabulary.
THIS ^ 100% Absolutely, totally, right on base. 8-)

Now, prepare yourself for post to be bashed for suggesting such :!: And, trying to go off-topic with a hijack, to boot :!:

Shame, shame .... :P :P :P :P

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:26 pm

The 7" or 8" would've been fine a couple of years ago when they were first released. They will be discontinued soon and app support will dry up. The Fire HD 10 was just renewed in 2010. It will be $99 for Black Friday. Even if you will rarely use it, you may find that next year, a Fire 7 may not be compatible with many programs.

We embrace technology. I tried to train all my children to use tablets as soon as they are able. My 8 year old actually taught me a few useability gestures. Our 2 year old currently uses an old 8 GB iPhone 5c in the car. It has no cellular service but uses our phones as a hotspot. Tablets are too heavy and tend to fall back and accidentally smack her head. We are only able to load a few educational apps on the phone. PBSkids is their favorite app to use.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:03 pm

I might suggest splurging a bit and buying an entry level iPad for $250 on Black Friday. They're a lot nicer than the Kindles, and they last a long time. Our kids use theirs for schoolwork as well as entertainment.

Also an aside, but you can download videos from Netflix and Disney+ so you can avoid tethering if you want.

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:31 am

No unsolicited parenting advice from me.

An Amazon Fire HD 8 for $50 on Black Friday would be my choice. It's extremely easy to add Google Play and make it an Android tablet. There's a microSD slot so you can download and save videos for those times you can't or don't want to use your hotspot. Disney+ allows you to download and watch offline. Amazon tablets support Disney+.

Just to clarify some mistaken information in this thread. 1) You are not limited to the Amazon Appstore. You can easily install Google Play and download apps from there. Youtube it. Easily done in 10 minutes using 4 steps. 2) Amazon updates their tablets practically every year so you don't have to worry about them being obsolete. The Fire 7 and 8 were not discontinued or soon will be discontinued - simply false. You aren't going to have programs that don't work. The Fire 10 has been periodically updated, including a 2019 updated version.

In 2015, I gave my nephew in Vietnam a 2015 Fire HD 7 (5th generation) which he still uses today for his young children - no problems with current apps. I have two 2018 Fire HD8 (8th generation) with Google Play.

Have a safe trip.
Last edited by Arbol on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:43 am

drawpoker wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 pm
celia wrote:

Now, prepare yourself for post to be bashed for suggesting such :!: And, trying to go off-topic with a hijack, to boot :!:

If I had kids, I don't believe I'd let them have access to electronics until they were school age, and then I'd ration it to what they need for school and a little more. There's plenty of evidence that they interfere with brain development, plus it's a small step towards avoiding everyone sitting around with their faces in their screens.

greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 am

One tip: a gallon ziplock and packing tape can make a nice tablet holder on the headrest.

And y’all, chill out. Letting a kid watch some content on a road trip is not going to stunt development. If they’re buying a tablet only now, their kid isn’t a vegetable and the TV is not their babysitter.

Kuna_Papa_Wengi

Post by Kuna_Papa_Wengi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:22 am

I haven't been too impressed with my kindle fire. The interface is harder for a 2 year old to use compared to an ipad. The battery life is poor. I hate being limited to the amazon app store.

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:27 am

Amazon Fire tablets do not support the Xfinity streaming app.

On my Fire HD 8, it took me 10 minutes to install the Google Play Store where I was able to download the Xfinity app. You are not limited to the Amazon app store. You can use the Google Play store.

My Fire HD is set to CNBC on the Xfinity app from Monday to Friday. And the tablet is fine for 7-8 hours on one charge. This is after one year.

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 am

drawpoker wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 pm
celia wrote:

Agreed. Prepare to be shamed.

For those who think it is a good thing for our youth to be tied to devices - just go hang out with young teens and see the ADD (squirrel), inattention to their surroundings and lack of ability to socially interact. For a two year old - you are training them to not think and to to have things pushed to them. They are not going to learn creativity and also cannot apply the 2D (Screen) to the 3D (real) world. The addiction is worse than cigarettes and will last a lifetime.

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 am

For the child development gurus.

If you are concern with time spent online or connected to a device, then maybe you should not post on Bogleheads.org at 8 AM on a Sunday morning. You may have an unhealthy addiction.

The OP asked for tech advice, not parenting advice. Those who want to shame others should look at their own behavior.

strafe

Post by strafe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:03 am

greenflamingo wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 am
One tip: a gallon ziplock and packing tape can make a nice tablet holder on the headrest.

And y’all, chill out. Letting a kid watch some content on a road trip is not going to stunt development. If they’re buying a tablet only now, their kid isn’t a vegetable and the TV is not their babysitter.
+1
The responses on this thread are comically absurd.

That Fire tablet will be just fine for your purposes.

Is there an option for a high glare screen? The reflections would restore some of the rich intellectual stimulation of staring out the window that other posters so desperately crave for your child.
Last edited by strafe on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:08 am

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 pm
We are in need of a cheap but functional tablet for our 2 year old for a 7 hour car drive. We will be using a mobile phone as a hot spots and would like to be able to stream Disney+ or Hulu for the car ride. We would use it for this purpose only a few times a year. It would be used rarely or never otherwise.

Would a basic $50 Amazon Fire 7 tablet do the job?

1.3 GHz processor
1GB RAM
16 GB storage
While I prefer not to have children this young use screens, an Amazon Fire is fine. Don't bother with anything fancier or more expensive (like a 10" device or an iPad), since the technology is changing so quickly this will not be a long-term purchase anyway.

I'm assuming the child wouldn't be handling the tablet and would just be watching. If children are going to be handling the tablet, get a Kids Edition. It costs more but is much more rugged.

And if your child is anything like my grandchildren, I wouldn't expect all that much screen time anyway. At 2 years old, they would fall asleep at some point on any trip of more than about 30-45 minutes.
Don't be a lemming.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 am

Arbol wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 am
You may have an unhealthy addiction.

Those who want to shame others should look at their own behavior.
Oh, the irony! :oops:
Don't be a lemming.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:22 am

Cheaper option: long form kids’ audiobooks from the Library.

We load our iPad with pre-downloaded Netflix shows like Llama Llama that we give them if we’re on a plane. iPad has a convenient feature that locks out the touchscreen functions so the kids don’t access what they shouldn’t. But in the car, audiobooks and watching the world go by have worked well.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 am
Arbol wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 am
You may have an unhealthy addiction.

Those who want to shame others should look at their own behavior.
Oh, the irony! :oops:
lol

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks to all for the advice, both solicited and unsolicited.

This is a well rounded, highly intelligent 2 year old who our doctor said is above average in vocabulary and speech. She plays independently better than all of our nieces and nephews, according to the grandparents. They are amazed at how she amuses herself without screens or having to be given constant attention.

She has never even seen a tablet before. She is not allowed to touch our cell phones. The only screen she has looked at is a TV, and most of the time there is football or basketball or a bad reality show on and she pays no attention to it as she plays.

This is for a long drive for a kid who will be strapped to a rear facing car seat, unable to even lift her shoulders to color or play. She can only see the sky because of the angle at which she sits.

I would love to turn her around, but the doctor says it's not time yet and that she is safer facing backwards.

After some research and taking your comments into consideration, my wife ordered the 7 with a good case, but not the more expensive Kids version. We're essentially treating this as disposable and if we need to buy a more expensive one in a couple years, we are okay with it.

Thanks again!

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:40 am

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:27 am
This is for a long drive for a kid who will be strapped to a rear facing car seat, unable to even lift her shoulders to color or play. She can only see the sky because of the angle at which she sits.

I would love to turn her around, but the doctor says it's not time yet and that she is safer facing backwards.
When our grandchildren were that age, my wife would sit in back and play with them until the kiddos invariably fell asleep.
After some research and taking your comments into consideration, my wife ordered the 7 with a good case, but not the more expensive Kids version. We're essentially treating this as disposable and if we need to buy a more expensive one in a couple years, we are okay with it.
Good choice. I'm sure it will work out well. Have fun on your drive.
Don't be a lemming.

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:01 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:40 am
When our grandchildren were that age, my wife would sit in back and play with them until the kiddos invariably fell asleep.
My wife has done that with her up to this point and its worked out well, and undoubtedly will do some of that this trip. But we want her to realize that we can't entertain her the entire drive. The goal this time is a mixture of my wife being back there, movie watching by herself, nothing (entertaining herself), and napping. We don't plan on breaking out the tablet until well into the trip.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:05 am

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:01 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:40 am
My wife has done that with her up to this point and its worked out well, and undoubtedly will do some of that this trip. But we want her to realize that we can't entertain her the entire drive. The goal this time is a mixture of my wife being back there, movie watching by herself, nothing (entertaining herself), and napping. We don't plan on breaking out the tablet until well into the trip.
Sounds good. Have fun.

It sounds like this is the first time such a long trip has come up. If nothing else, you'll learn what works and what doesn't and can apply that to future trips.

My suggestion: snacks.

Enjoy!
Don't be a lemming.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:31 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (parenting advice, which is a relationship issue and is off-topic). See: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines

This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.