Lawyers who get monetary compensation for spam faxes?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Saving$

Lawyers who get monetary compensation for spam faxes?

Post by Saving$ » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Does anyone know anything about the lawyers who advertise on the internet that they can get $500 per spam fax? I know the FTC allows up to $500 fine for each unauthorized fax and up to $1500 if it is intentional. I'm inclined to contact one of these lawyers but don't want to get spammed even more. Are these lawyers claims of compensation for spam faxes legit? Do people really get money? Do you have to work with one who practices in your home state?

I still have a fax number because occasionally some businesses I work with still insist upon either receiving or sending certain documents via fax.
The incoming faxes are received through a free service that assigned me a phone number and then sends the received faxes to me via email.
Lately I have been inundated with spam faxes - probably 3-4 day for about 2 months. In all that time two were real faxes. It is annoying, wastes my time because I have to sift through the spam to get the real faxes, and it uses up my allotment of free monthly faxes. Mostly I want it to stop, but I would not object to causing the spammers a bit of monetary pain.

drawpoker

Re: Lawyers who get monetary compensation for spam faxes?

Post by drawpoker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 pm
.......lawyers who advertise on the internet that they can get $500 per spam fax? ........
Hmmm. Enticing, isn't it.

Maybe what they mean - ya, know, truth in advertising - they can get a $500 fee, per spam faxes, from people who engage their services? :wink:

"I'm inclined to contact one of these lawyers but don't want to get spammed even more."

Follow your inclination here, your instincts are correct........

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:34 am

I have a client who was sued for sending spam faxes. In his case he was sending to a customer list and neglected to remove a number when requested. Even though it was an honest mistake he ended up paying quite a bit to settle it. So it might be worth it to go after real spammers.
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

averagelonghorn

Post by averagelonghorn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Just thinking who still uses faxes in this day and age... Thinking Medical, Legal, and Real Estate services would be high on the list.... I'd think if it were actually lucrative to go after the spammers, plenty of lawyers would be making a nice little side income off of it. Maybe they are and we just don't know it. :D

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the lawyers who advertise on the internet that they can get $500 per spam fax? I know the FTC allows up to $500 fine for each unauthorized fax and up to $1500 if it is intentional. I'm inclined to contact one of these lawyers but don't want to get spammed even more. Are these lawyers claims of compensation for spam faxes legit? Do people really get money? Do you have to work with one who practices in your home state?

I still have a fax number because occasionally some businesses I work with still insist upon either receiving or sending certain documents via fax.
The incoming faxes are received through a free service that assigned me a phone number and then sends the received faxes to me via email.
Lately I have been inundated with spam faxes - probably 3-4 day for about 2 months. In all that time two were real faxes. It is annoying, wastes my time because I have to sift through the spam to get the real faxes, and it uses up my allotment of free monthly faxes. Mostly I want it to stop, but I would not object to causing the spammers a bit of monetary pain.
The root cause of your problem is the use of a free service. Pay for a real fax number. I am sure that your problems will go away.

Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:34 am

averagelonghorn wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 pm
Just thinking who still uses faxes in this day and age... Thinking Medical, Legal, and Real Estate services would be high on the list.... I'd think if it were actually lucrative to go after the spammers, plenty of lawyers would be making a nice little side income off of it. Maybe they are and we just don't know it. :D
This is the article that made me wonder if these lawyers might be legit...
https://fortune.com/2017/03/24/fax-spam-lawsuits/

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:51 am

That article is a bit stale (March 2017) As rapidly as technologyi is changing, wonder how much of it is still applicable. It references lawsuits filed between 2009 and 2016, nothing more recent.

Most alarming of all, however, is the Great Big Error it contains. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sharp-eyed movie buffs will know that it was not a fax machine, but the frequently-malfunctioning printer that Peter, Samir and Michael hacked to its death in the field.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:59 am

I am well aware of this and know people who sue.

Spam calls and text messages are really where it is at now. Some people do junk faxes but most do telemarketing or spam texts over junk fax cases.
Saving$ wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the lawyers who advertise on the internet that they can get $500 per spam fax? I know the FTC allows up to $500 fine for each unauthorized fax and up to $1500 if it is intentional. I'm inclined to contact one of these lawyers but don't want to get spammed even more. Are these lawyers claims of compensation for spam faxes legit? Do people really get money? Do you have to work with one who practices in your home state
The law is called the tcpa and the best tcpa attys don't advertise at all. Most are gunning for class actions and if some atty only got a $500/call or fax settlement offer I'd fire him.

The law allows for up to $3000 under federal and some states allow way more. North Carolina is up to 5k per call plus costs and attys fees. The FCC has nothing to do with it. Before you do anything, go look at 47 USC 227 and 47 cfr 64.1200. read it again, read it again, read it again, and then read it again. And then go read it 10x more and explain it in simple terms to someone who has never heard of it. The hardest thing is going to be identifying the spammer o the end user of the services offered.

The claims for compensation are Legit and if anything are low. Yes people who know what they are doing can make real money. For federal courts, no they don't have to necessarily be licensed in your state, they can get local counsel and pro hac in to a case. You go with the best not someone convenient.