What are the best jobs to downshift into?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Plz

What are the best jobs to downshift into?

Post by Plz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:40 am

Excluding doing the same work part time or consulting for the same line of work.

Two ideas that came to me: working for a nonprofit you care about and working at a golf course.

Tjb

Re: What are the best jobs to downshift into?

Post by Tjb » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:16 am

I know lots of people that do those 2 jobs, they seem to be fairly common. One other option, and one I plan to take part in is Musician. I have in the past played out in bands and solo. Typical Pub guitarist, some festivals and fund raisers. I plan to do a bit more of that. I also know from past experience that it can start out very fun, and turn into a stressful job if it gets out of control. No pressure like playing a first dance, solo at a wedding with 100 cameras pointing at you which will be someones memory of a lifetime. Other than that, it's quite enjoyable, social and uplifting when things go well.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 am

Part time office admin? I'm thinking about front-desk kinds of jobs here.

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:58 am

I have two part time jobs.

I play music, both in a group and as a solo act.
I started gigging out at restaurants this past summer.
Lots of fun. Meet people. Make some money.
Definitely keeps the brain active.

I also work as a part time captain/mate on a charter fishing boat.
Also a good bit of fun, at least when you're catching fish.
Scrappy days can be stressful, but less stress than a career.
Plus you pretty much reset every day.
Money is decent and you do meet some interesting people.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 am

Plz wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:40 am
Excluding doing the same work part time or consulting for the same line of work.

Two ideas that came to me: working for a nonprofit you care about and working at a golf course.
For a non-profit there are paid and unpaid (volunteer positions). Most community based non-profits I'm familiar with have many more volunteer opportunities than paid positions especially if focus is on delivery of a service. If financially able volunteering can give you more flexibility while still being dependable. Paid charity jobs can come with a few headaches of their own.

I'd expand the golf course job to working part time (possibly at minimum wage) on anything you enjoy or are good at. Golf course, bike store, seasonal tax preparation, etc. Key I think is finding something where you are around other people you enjoy. Again just be clear you don't want and won't accept a management job unless you want the responsibilities that come with it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:31 am

I worked for a non-profit coming out of college. There was no downshift, but instead it was an upshift. Some (many?) non-profits can pay their employees rather well.

I cannot imagine that there is a legitimate list of "the best jobs" because a job is probably an individual thing.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 am

Right, there are non-profits that do medical research and non-profits that feed the homeless. Not quite the same expectations.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Plz wrote:
....working at a golf course.
One problem with this is that you may be required to work a lot of weekends, holidays, and early or late hours.

It may also be seasonal work if you live in an area that has a significant winter.

fishnhunt

Post by fishnhunt » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I've always wanted to work at a bait shop or fishing store. Can't imagine it would pay that well though...

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Part time work should be fun. I once had a part time job doing gardening work. This was around 1995 and I was paid $10 an hour to weed. That was it, just weed, no raking, no mowing. It was a nice job to sit in the sun and do that.

One person I use to work with who is now in her 70's has a job as a "duster." I said, what's that? She said she is paid to dust in attorneys' offices who handle high profile cases. She doesn't vacuum, empty trash, just dusts. They needed someone honest and for her past job she had to pass all types of criminal investigations.

There is a lot of money to be made cleaning gutters. Here, someone who cleans gutters can pick and choose. The guy who does mine, only works on ranch houses. With a blower, he's done in 20 minutes max.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:24 pm

I think this is a question that if you asked 10 people, you'd get 15 answers, none of which will match any other answer.

I found for myself, looking through some of the jobs noted, I thought to myself "I wouldn't do that for a million dollars a year" and others "I'd pay to do that". So there ya have it. Everyone has to figure it out for themself.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ridebikeseveryday

Post by ridebikeseveryday » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:26 pm

I've thought about bike messenger and bike mechanic :)

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Plz wrote:

There are thousands of jobs that people can downshift into.

There are no "best jobs" any more than there are "best colors". Everyone likes something different. While I would enjoy working for a nonprofit I care about, I wouldn't enjoy working at a golf course.

The best jobs seem to be enjoyable and flexible enough for the individual's needs. Sometimes monetary considerations are also important, but not always.

After retiring, I really enjoyed a year of being a part-time consultant for my former employer. Since then, I haven't found an actual job that interests me enough to give up my free time. I'd consult again if the right opportunity came along, but I'm not actually look for one.
Don't be a lemming.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:31 pm

SKI Instructor
SKI Patrol
MLB or minor league stadium usher
MLB or minor league stadium grounds keeper
Museum docent
Concert ticket taker
Golf caddie
Golf Marshal
Golf starter
Golf pro shop assistant

etc...

Good Luck.

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Wine pourer at a tasting room or winery

Post by 123 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Usher at a symphony/opera/live theater/ballpark. If it's a fancy venue you would likely need a couple of special clothing sets, unless they're provided.

Staff person at a public/private/university library.

I went to college with a guy who was really into weightlifting. He found his perfect summer job. He worked at a brickyard stacking bricks. He said he loved every minute of it and kind of regretted having to return to school in the fall. So almost any job can be a "dream job" for someone.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Topic Author
Plz

Post by Plz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:02 am

Yes, certainly what’s best for one person is not best for another. This thread was created for idea generation

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:51 am

Back to add lightweight self-employment because it has entirely flexible hours.

Uber/Lyft, TaskRabbit, etc.

Your craft hobby here + Etsy

My dream downshift job might be to work for one of those contractor services Ikea sends out to assemble furniture for people.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:49 am

Teach at a community college. It can be full or part time. You can take summers or semesters off if you wish. If you're teaching online, you're free to travel anywhere there's good internet access.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:01 am

palaheel wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:49 am
Teach at a community college. It can be full or part time. You can take summers or semesters off if you wish. If you're teaching online, you're free to travel anywhere there's good internet access.
Generally that requires an M-degree at least, although it does depend on the subject and location. And semesters off can be problematic - you'll likely have to be replaced, and once replaced there is no particular incencentive to use you again if the replacment works out. So you are stuck with being "off" only for what many regard as a less desirable time of year. Also realize that it's a big time commitment, not so much in hours, but you have to be around (or have good internet for remote classes) maybe two days a week, 3 hours a day, for two semesters, for a total of maybe $4-5k/year. If there's an extra time requirement to be available to students outside class, you could get slightly more - or you might get more if you're teaching in an especially in-demand program. Remote might be more appealing but also makes you more expendable and easier to replace.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:16 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:01 am
palaheel wrote:
Generally that requires an M-degree at least, although it does depend on the subject and location. And semesters off can be problematic - you'll likely have to be replaced, and once replaced there is no particular incencentive to use you again if the replacment works out. So you are stuck with being "off" only for what many regard as a less desirable time of year. Also realize that it's a big time commitment, not so much in hours, but you have to be around (or have good internet for remote classes) maybe two days a week, 3 hours a day, for two semesters, for a total of maybe $4-5k/year. If there's an extra time requirement to be available to students outside class, you could get slightly more - or you might get more if you're teaching in an especially in-demand program. Remote might be more appealing but also makes you more expendable and easier to replace.
A lot depends on the area you're teaching in. In my area of computer programming, we're always looking for qualified instructors. It's a seller's market.

The Master's degree requirement depends on whether the course in question is transferable to a 4-year school. Our Intro courses are transferable, and require a Master's. But our Advanced courses are not transferable, and don't have that requirement. For those, we take a much more industry-like attitude of looking more at a person's skills, experience and abilities.

Being able to come and go does require building a relationship, but as I said, it's a seller's market. Your time commitments are on the high side if a course is well laid out by the department. We work very hard at doing that, and our courses follow a well-trodden path. Our adjuncts have a "respond to emails" expectation, but nothing beyond that. (One can question whether that's a good solution, but that's the way our College writes contracts.)

CheeseheadCycler

Post by CheeseheadCycler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:33 pm

At the shop of your favorite hobby. My local bike shop has the perk of 20% of wholesale. I know their sales manager works there two days a week for that perk, and to pay for his bike hobby. Likewise, my local dive shop has the perk of 20% off retail, and all the air you can breath (free tank rentals). Plus, the retired guys who who work at the dive shop as instructors get good discounts to lead dive trips.

snowox

Post by snowox » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:30 am

I was offered a job at a golf course but wasnt worth the money to me for the time. I found working for a guy I know as much or little I wanted to in the construction industry was the best. Good money and I never work more than 25 Hours a week. He understands I am Fire'd just looking for extra bucks and appreciates someone that he can count on and doesn't have to babysit. I dont have many skills but have been learning and there is enough easy stuff for me to do.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:33 am

LOL, I always liked the double clutch downshift into first on my 1967 Austin Cooper S.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:39 am

palaheel wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:16 pm
tibbitts wrote:
palaheel wrote:
A lot depends on the area you're teaching in. In my area of computer programming, we're always looking for qualified instructors. It's a seller's market.

The Master's degree requirement depends on whether the course in question is transferable to a 4-year school. Our Intro courses are transferable, and require a Master's. But our Advanced courses are not transferable, and don't have that requirement. For those, we take a much more industry-like attitude of looking more at a person's skills, experience and abilities.

Being able to come and go does require building a relationship, but as I said, it's a seller's market. Your time commitments are on the high side if a course is well laid out by the department. We work very hard at doing that, and our courses follow a well-trodden path. Our adjuncts have a "respond to emails" expectation, but nothing beyond that. (One can question whether that's a good solution, but that's the way our College writes contracts.)
Are they regular 4-year colleges, or junior or community colleges?

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:26 am

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:39 am
Two year technical community colleges. Our school offers a wide variety of programs, from transfer programs that cover a student's freshman and sophomore years to applied degrees for employment preparation to non-credit continuing education classes. The courses that can be used in the transfer programs (such as Intro to Computer Science) require a Master's degree or better. But most of our courses are related to applied degrees.

Taz

Post by Taz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:46 am

Something to consider when you take on a part-time downshift job is managing job creep (responsibilities and time), especially when working for friends or family in a small business. These complicate extricating yourself from the job when you are ready to go.
The destination matters.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:37 am

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
palaheel wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:16 pm
tibbitts wrote:
palaheel wrote:

I meant 6 hours a week in-class, assuming 2 x 3hrs for each class; I wasn't counting anything outside as that varies. In-class varies with credit hours of course, and whether you have a quarterly or semester schedule, etc. I have done classes from 2 to 6 in-class hours per week.

I agree on the building a relationship thing, but that's my point: you're starting out in retirement and don't have the years to put in first to build the relationship. You aren't going to work more than you want for ten years so you can back off later on.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:58 am

palaheel wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:26 am
MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Two year technical community colleges. Our school offers a wide variety of programs, from transfer programs that cover a student's freshman and sophomore years to applied degrees for employment preparation to non-credit continuing education classes. The courses that can be used in the transfer programs (such as Intro to Computer Science) require a Master's degree or better. But most of our courses are related to applied degrees.
Have been toying with the idea of taking on some teaching after retiring, for the sake of teaching, not for money.
I have been mostly in R & D groups with mostly Ph.D. holders. I am always on good terms with bright young hires especially if they have decent background and interest in fundamental subjects such as mathematics and physics. Many of them are directly from graduate schools and some post-docs.

If I put my foot in, I may never leave. My Brother-in-law was a retired college professor and taught classes until only days before the end in his mid 80s'.

Lazareth

Post by Lazareth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:03 pm

School Bus Driver. A nearby school district hired me and trained me for licensing and driving technique. Part-time 20 to 25 hour per week. Nights, weekends, holidays off. Plenty of time for vacations with my wife. If you enjoy driving, and helps if you either raised kids, coached or similar, or just get along with kids. After 30+ years in a successful and stressful executive career (BA, MBA, Chartered Financial Analyst) I retired at a/59 and was bored by a/60. Now I'm a/65, been driving for 5 years and hope to do it 5 more. I watched my dad quickly atrophy after a/65 retirement, he was financially prepared but had no plan for staying active. Passed too early at a/72. Working keeps me invigorated, outdoors, and mentally sharp.
"I want to light the lights of patriotism." - Lech Walesa

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Move to Orlando and go work for Disney.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:18 pm

I work for the local MLB club as a part-time tour guide.

Topic Author
Plz

Post by Plz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 pm

Any ideas for low stress jobs that are still intellectually stimulating?

sergio

Post by sergio » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 am

Lazareth wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:03 pm
School Bus Driver. A nearby school district hired me and trained me for licensing and driving technique. Part-time 20 to 25 hour per week. Nights, weekends, holidays off. Plenty of time for vacations with my wife. If you enjoy driving, and helps if you either raised kids, coached or similar, or just get along with kids. After 30+ years in a successful and stressful executive career (BA, MBA, Chartered Financial Analyst) I retired at a/59 and was bored by a/60. Now I'm a/65, been driving for 5 years and hope to do it 5 more. I watched my dad quickly atrophy after a/65 retirement, he was financially prepared but had no plan for staying active. Passed too early at a/72. Working keeps me invigorated, outdoors, and mentally sharp.
A few months ago I was speaking to a retired actuary who was doing the same thing after retirement! He really enjoys it and claims that being around kids makes him feel more energetic. I believe he drives 6-10am M-F and that's it. Summers off, lots of holidays off, no weekend work, time off in the winter/spring as well...

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:57 am

123 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:38 pm
Unless you're just shelving books, you generally need a library science degree for these positions.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:10 am

I plan to do something that involves being outside, like some light landscaping work. I have been in the corporate environment for over 30 years and this would be a welcome change. I'll gladly take winters off :D

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:20 am

I had a friend who was a masseuse to a semi-pro cycling club.

Then there is always ski lift operator or ski instructor. Free lift tickets!

StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:31 am

Since I missed what OP does do for career, or earnings expectations...tough to recommend a non related job for downshifting...

I find the easiest $$ is speculative building lots. Buy a nice view lot with a lot of brush / trees / mess, spend a couple weekends on the bulldozer and tractor (fun). Seed in springtime it so it is really pretty by June, re-market it for $20k - $100k gain. I also do commercial real estate rezoning, as well as roll primary residence when a good deal comes along ($500k income tax free every 24 months (no state tax for me))

I worked Design engineering, so enjoyed unrelated hobbies / jobs.
1) farming
2) trucking paid well at the time, and I LIKE driving. (endless miles of night driving in BAD weather is a real good way to clear your mind, and make you appreciate your 'day-job')
3) Camp host
4) Cutting firewood
5) Building homes
6) professional racing (Car and motorcycle or Off-road buggies)
7) hospice care
8) music gigs
9) relocating sailboats

Some of my high tech worker friends...
1) Fly angel flights
2) Fishing guide
3) Paramedic
4) Alaska fishing (commercial)
5) day trading (Asia / Europe during evenings)
6) Building furniture
7) Pottery
8) Tour bus driver
9) Charter boat captain

Many are PT teachers in local colleges.
I teach adult business courses PT. I enjoy teaching, but LOVE traveling / going / being GONE...
I should have been an Air Marshal...;)

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:27 pm
Plz wrote:

There are no "best jobs" any more than there are "best colors". Everyone likes something different. While I would enjoy working for a nonprofit I care about, I wouldn't enjoy working at a golf course.

The best color is Blue. Everyone knows that.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:04 am

Plz wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 pm
Generally NO, except teaching subjects which you are passionate about.

Lazareth

Post by Lazareth » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 am

sergio wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 am
Lazareth wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:03 pm
A few months ago I was speaking to a retired actuary who was doing the same thing after retirement! He really enjoys it and claims that being around kids makes him feel more energetic. I believe he drives 6-10am M-F and that's it. Summers off, lots of holidays off, no weekend work, time off in the winter/spring as well...
Yes indeed Sergio, thanks for sharing. As for me, I sensed a 100% rejuvination physically, mentally, and regained my confidence in social settings etc, once I got back into a "work" routine after retiring.
"I want to light the lights of patriotism." - Lech Walesa

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:08 pm

ScubaHogg wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:27 pm
Plz wrote:

The best color is Blue. Everyone knows that.
See, that's how we can tell you are wrong.

The best color is Red. And clearly not everyone knows that. :happy
Don't be a lemming.

JamalJones

Post by JamalJones » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:49 pm

No one's mentioned substitute teacher yet?!?!

I'll give a vote for that! Similar situation to bus driver, with respect to time off. But, eventually, depending on the school district, you could work when you want.

Every state has different requirements. But you'll probably have to pass some basic skills standardized test, get a background check and then you're good to go! You might have to have a college degree, but not sure how every state works.

So for me I started out and I told them I prefer subbing for high school, but I'll do whatever is available (high school for two reasons: 1. no one expects you to be able to teach trigonometry, chemistry or break down the themes, etc. of a Herman Melville or a Charles Dickens book, the teacher just tells you to hand out assignments for them to do or have them read whatever, etc. and you just kick back! 2. I didn't like dealing with "little kids" problems like having a 3rd grade girl walk up to me in tears telling me that these other girls wouldn't let her in their reading group. Ugh, I don't have the emotional tools for that stuff.)

They call you in the morning and tell you where to go. If you accept every assignment for a month, you get a pay raise (obviously every state/district will have different rules). And of course you don't have to work that day if you don't want to.

But, man, you could make $20K - $27K a year in some districts. Super easy work!

It's worth looking into.
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | Yap, yap, yap, yap, - the bottom line is ya gotta buckle up the chin strap!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:51 pm

123 wrote:
Usher at a symphony/opera/live theater/ballpark. If it's a fancy venue you would likely need a couple of special clothing sets, unless they're provided.
I went to college with a guy who was really into weightlifting. He found his perfect summer job. He worked at a brickyard stacking bricks. He said he loved every minute of it and kind of regretted having to return to school in the fall. So almost any job can be a "dream job" for someone.
An idea I had, but for an MLB team - that is 81 home games a year!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:02 pm

I have heard nothing back at all from either place, but I did sign up with two local medical schools to be a "standard" or "standardized" patient.

Maybe also consider a part-time job as a teller in a bank or credit union - at one where the work is "low stress" or at least for you.

A big part, in my opinion, of being "low stress" is being very close to where you live and/or a very easy and low stress commute. I have that now in my semi-retirement 20 hour week job.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:18 pm

The construction field can be fun when you are not reliant on it to survive. Carpentry is very rewarding and you can become decent at it relatively quickly...takes a long time to master. There are few jobs with such an immediate sense of accomplishment.

I will either remodel kitchens or do something around boats/water like managing a yacht club in the summer or get my captains license and drive a tour boat/fishing charter.

dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Depends on what you're looking for, but security work always seemed like an interesting downshift to me. In some contexts, it's stressful, in others, it's boring, and occasionally, it can be dangerous. But I feel like the vast majority of security guards mostly end up doing a whole lot of nothing. I've known people who claimed to be working on side hustles while at a security job guarding a building or something at night where virtually nothing ever happened. And one key thing is that many states do require certifications for it, so even though the pay and benefits aren't substantially better than minimum wage fast food jobs and the like, it's fairly stable in the sense that you're not always competing with hordes of teenagers trying to get their first job.

For a better-paying but perhaps more stressful version, it's generally not too difficult to become a TSA agent (well, it really depends on where you live). I've heard it's less enjoyable, and it's a very active security job, so you can't just sit and listen to music or work on other projects while on the job, but the pay and benefits actually make it a fairly respectable profession that should be quite manageable for people used to corporate America.

Rain

Post by Rain » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:14 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:57 am
123 wrote:
Unless you're just shelving books, you generally need a library science degree for these positions.
Many libraries have interesting part time jobs that don't require a Master's of Library Science (MLS). Possibilities in a university library are more diverse than you might expect. Helping students and checking out books, reshelving and purchasing books, but also web design, helping students with 3D printing, teaching workshops, maintaining the catalog, borrowing items from other libraries, scanning manuscripts, troubleshooting problems with online resources, desktop support, and various administrative roles including accounting and facilities.

spae

Post by spae » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:52 am

Plz wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 pm
Software, but due to age discrimination, you're probably not going to be able to get your first job in software if you're over 40. A significant fraction of my social circle has changed careers into software because it has the best combination of work life balance and compensation for entry-level to mid-career, but the people in their 30s have had a very hard time getting their first job and the people over 40 haven't been able to find an employer who will hire them in a non-menial role.