$500 KeyBank bonus worth it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
fortfun

$500 KeyBank bonus worth it?

Post by fortfun » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Requires a payroll deposit. Seems worth 15 minutes of work. Anyone else done this one? It was a direct mailer.
https://www.key.com/personal/promo/get- ... ETQ1119_dm

$25 charge for closing the account early but still $475 isn't bad.

MotoTrojan

Re: $500 KeyBank bonus worth it?

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 pm

I'll have to take a closer look at this one... $500 is more worthwhile, even if taxable, IMHO. I can easily DD.

samirol

Post by samirol » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:47 pm

$500 is an incredible bank bonus!

There are a few websites devoted to these kinds of offers, Doctor of Credit is my favorite.

I’ve pulled in $4k this year from bank bonuses. I open up the account, shift direct deposit to the new account, use Ally to shuffle the money around, and close it when I’m done. It is super simple and easy with no downsides (besides the time it takes)

Explorer

Post by Explorer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 pm

samirol wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:47 pm

There are a few websites devoted to these kinds of offers, Doctor of Credit is my favorite.

I’ve pulled in $4k this year from bank bonuses. I open up the account, shift direct deposit to the new account, use Ally to shuffle the money around, and close it when I’m done. It is super simple and easy with no downsides (besides the time it takes)
I think it takes a "hard pull" of your credit report every time you open a bank account... just something to be mindful of.

jackb1117

Post by jackb1117 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:15 pm

18/mo maintenance fee as well (for the most entry level account that qualifies for that bonus), only waived if:

"Ways to waive the monthly fee include, having at least $10,000 in combined Key account balances or auto deducting at least $500 for a KeyBank mortgage payment.1"

https://www.key.com/personal/checking/k ... ccount.jsp

Still worth it if you are good about closing promptly (I have been know to turn off direct deposit but languish at closing the account)

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Explorer wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 pm
samirol wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:47 pm

I think it takes a "hard pull" of your credit report every time you open a bank account... just something to be mindful of.
It depends on the bank as to whether it’s a hard or soft pull. This link contains a list of banks and indicate which type they do: https://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/bank-a ... -hard-pull

It seems Keybank does a soft pull.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:45 pm

The lowest tier account still can get $500 and has very attainable hoops (bold is mine):
To avoid the $7 monthly Maintenance Service Charge for Key Express Checking® account, each statement cycle, you will be required to have at least eight (8) customer initiated posted transactions (ANY deposits, withdrawals, including transfers) on your Key Express Checking Account or have deposits (including transfers into this account) totaling $500.00 or more credited to your Key Express Checking account. If you do not meet one of these requirements a $7.00 monthly Maintenance Service Charge will be assessed.
That said, the bank is very regional. It's based in Cleveland, and I'm in TN, and it would not let me open an account. I don't know how many people will actually be eligible for an account.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 pm

rocket354 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:45 pm

That said, the bank is very regional. It's based in Cleveland, and I'm in TN, and it would not let me open an account. I don't know how many people will actually be eligible for an account.
I think those in these states can likely open an account: AK, AL, CO, CT, FL, ID, IN, ME, MA, MI, NY, OH, OR, PA, UT, VT, WA

Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 pm

The fine print says you must receive a personalized email from them to receive the bonus. Can anyone confirm the bonus will work just by following the link and using the code given without the email?

Pickle11

Post by Pickle11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:02 am

I attempted, it said I need a reservation code.

aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:29 am

There was a promo code right on the website next to the offer

RETQ1119

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:36 am

I would guess they will also claw back the bonus in event of early cancellation.

Pickle11

Post by Pickle11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:04 pm

You need the promo code and reservation code.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:07 pm

I can verify you need to reservation code in addition to the promo code. It will not let you get any further than that step when creating your account w/o having valid input for both.

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth...

Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Did a key bank bonus earlier this year, I think for $300. Was very easy, but it is easy for me to do a direct deposit change.

Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:12 pm

Pickle11 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:02 am
I attempted, it said I need a reservation code.
Thank you for the data point and saving some of us the some time.

snowman

Post by snowman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:37 pm

Yes, it's absolutely worth it! We have done 4 KeyBank bonuses this year, all without DD. In the spring, my wife and I went for the $300 bonus. It was quick and easy, bonus received less than 3 weeks from account opening date.

In the summer, got another direct mailer at my house, this time for $400. Asked my kids if they would like to earn easy money, they both said yes and applied. Both got $400 in their accounts less than a month later.

So the fall comes and KeyBank is now offering $500 bonus? Wow! That is really big bonus, if you are eligible and have the code, definitely go for it.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:32 pm

I got an email for 300 bonus today for deposit 25000 into gold money market. Is this worth it considering it is a little lower APY than my no penalty cd it is currently in.? Surprised to get this offer as an existing customer of key bank.

Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Got a mailer a few weeks ago for a $400 KeyBank bonus. It's been sitting on my desk as I'm undecided whether to pursue it. I just checked my mail today, and they decided to send me a reminder about the bonus offer that's been sitting on my desk. It's tempting, especially because there's a branch location two miles from my house.

The KeyBank bonus says the requirements are one $500 deposit. No direct deposit required. Fees apply to the checking accounts so there's a few hoops to jump through to avoid the fees (or one can just eat the fees). The bonus will be deposited within 60 days of meeting the requirements. Then a $25 account closure fee applies if closed within 6 months.

Question for those who've dealt with KeyBank: has your bonus ever hit earlier than the 60 days? My plan would be to just close the account as soon as the bonus hit. So if it hit in 3 weeks, I'd be closing the account 3 weeks after opening it.

I've churned bonuses before, though a bad experience with a local Huntington branch manager has soured me a bit on chasing them (I won't deal with Huntington again until long after he's gone). He was so personally offended that my dad and I churned bonuses that he eventually overrode and negated the bonuses despite us meeting the criteria. Corporate wouldn't overrule him. On the other end, a Fifth Third rep was awesome to deal with earlier in the year when I snagged one of their bonuses. She even personally called me when the bonus hit and said to come up anytime to close the account. As such, my experience with these things tends to depend on the personality of bank manager that I'm dealing with.

snowman

Post by snowman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Johnny Thinwallet wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm
Got a mailer a few weeks ago for a $400 KeyBank bonus. It's been sitting on my desk as I'm undecided whether to pursue it. I just checked my mail today, and they decided to send me a reminder about the bonus offer that's been sitting on my desk. It's tempting, especially because there's a branch location two miles from my house.

The KeyBank bonus says the requirements are one $500 deposit. No direct deposit required. Fees apply to the checking accounts so there's a few hoops to jump through to avoid the fees (or one can just eat the fees). The bonus will be deposited within 60 days of meeting the requirements. Then a $25 account closure fee applies if closed within 6 months.

Question for those who've dealt with KeyBank: has your bonus ever hit earlier than the 60 days? My plan would be to just close the account as soon as the bonus hit. So if it hit in 3 weeks, I'd be closing the account 3 weeks after opening it.

I've churned bonuses before, though a bad experience with a local Huntington branch manager has soured me a bit on chasing them (I won't deal with Huntington again until long after he's gone). He was so personally offended that my dad and I churned bonuses that he eventually overrode and negated the bonuses despite us meeting the criteria. Corporate wouldn't overrule him. On the other end, a Fifth Third rep was awesome to deal with earlier in the year when I snagged one of their bonuses. She even personally called me when the bonus hit and said to come up anytime to close the account. As such, my experience with these things tends to depend on the personality of bank manager that I'm dealing with.
One of the easiest bonuses out there, go for it. Here are pluses and minuses, based on 4 personal experiences this year (me, spouse, 2 kids):

Plus - they pay early! 20 days from account opening for me and my wife, similarly for the kids.

Minus - horrible bank when it comes to actual banking product, I am surprised they still exist. My wife and I got debit card in a month (usually debit card is issued on the spot, or comes in mail 1-2 weeks after account opening). So long wait to meet criteria - 8 Amazon reloads per month. Older kid decided to not bother with reloads and just close the account. He never received debit card, but got bonus quickly, and 2 weeks later got a letter that they are missing sensitive info on his account, and they will close it if he does not provide it in a timely matter (they didn't say what it is they don't have on file). He promptly withdrew his deposit and let them close his account so he wouldn't pay any penalty. Younger kid didn't want to lose $25, wanted to play the game for 6 months. It took them 4 months to send her debit card, after multiple calls and monthly fees billed!

The other negative with Key is that Amazon reloads may show up immediately in your account, or a day, or 2, or 3 later. Sometimes it shows up right away, but then it disappears, and 2 days later comes back again. I've never seen anything like that in my life. Or, I would transfer my deposit to my linked account (push from Key Bank), it would be approved, debited from my account, then not show up anywhere for 3 days, and then it shows up back again in Key Bank checking account. Again, never seen anything like this in my life! Was surprised this "bank" is still in business.

Given all that, I would clear the account right after bonus posts, and close it. They are so disorganized I don't see them collecting $25 closing fee on a zero dollar account. The other option is doing 8 reloads per month which takes you couple minutes, and close after 6 months, which is what I did. Also, with reloads, you don't get 1099 (treated same way as CC bonus). Not sure how early closed account gets treated tax-wise, just wanted to point it out. Either way, quick and easy money, go for it!

Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:55 am

snowman wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 pm
Johnny Thinwallet wrote:

One of the easiest bonuses out there, go for it. Here are pluses and minuses, based on 4 personal experiences this year (me, spouse, 2 kids):

Plus - they pay early! 20 days from account opening for me and my wife, similarly for the kids.

Minus - horrible bank when it comes to actual banking product, I am surprised they still exist. My wife and I got debit card in a month (usually debit card is issued on the spot, or comes in mail 1-2 weeks after account opening). So long wait to meet criteria - 8 Amazon reloads per month. Older kid decided to not bother with reloads and just close the account. He never received debit card, but got bonus quickly, and 2 weeks later got a letter that they are missing sensitive info on his account, and they will close it if he does not provide it in a timely matter (they didn't say what it is they don't have on file). He promptly withdrew his deposit and let them close his account so he wouldn't pay any penalty. Younger kid didn't want to lose $25, wanted to play the game for 6 months. It took them 4 months to send her debit card, after multiple calls and monthly fees billed!

The other negative with Key is that Amazon reloads may show up immediately in your account, or a day, or 2, or 3 later. Sometimes it shows up right away, but then it disappears, and 2 days later comes back again. I've never seen anything like that in my life. Or, I would transfer my deposit to my linked account (push from Key Bank), it would be approved, debited from my account, then not show up anywhere for 3 days, and then it shows up back again in Key Bank checking account. Again, never seen anything like this in my life! Was surprised this "bank" is still in business.

Given all that, I would clear the account right after bonus posts, and close it. They are so disorganized I don't see them collecting $25 closing fee on a zero dollar account. The other option is doing 8 reloads per month which takes you couple minutes, and close after 6 months, which is what I did. Also, with reloads, you don't get 1099 (treated same way as CC bonus). Not sure how early closed account gets treated tax-wise, just wanted to point it out. Either way, quick and easy money, go for it!
Thanks a ton for the detailed information!

I was all set to do it this morning and stopped in the local branch right down the street. The branch manager started his sales pitch of being a relationship bank and "how much he needs to help me" financially. When he asked me to sit through his financial wellness spin and started asking me about other accounts at other institutions, I politely told him no thanks. Then he started arguing with me, to which I told him to pound sand as I got up and walked out.

Did you do your bonuses all online? I may still try that, but if so I'll sit on it a few more days.

I'm realizing that if I do any bank bonus churns moving forward that I probably need to do them online exclusively so I can avoid the branch manager interactions.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 am

Johnny Thinwallet wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:55 am
Did you do your bonuses all online? I may still try that, but if so I'll sit on it a few more days.

I'm realizing that if I do any bank bonus churns moving forward that I probably need to do them online exclusively so I can avoid the branch manager interactions.
Yes, always online, whenever possible. Not sure why you went in. I would consider it a rookie mistake, and hopefully lesson learned.

Between me and my wife, we have done about 20 bonuses this year. Of those 20, only 4 required opening account at the local branch. As an experienced churner, I consider it 30 minute coffee conversation on the way to Costco. Never had bad experience - the bank employee has a job to do, which is to open your account, and in the process of doing so trying to sell you other products and services. I politely decline everything from overdraft protection to pre-approved CC, don't elaborate about my job or other financial institutions. My wife, OTOH, finds it very uncomfortable for some reason.

But unless required, you never go in, you do everything online. It's much faster, and more comfortable. Always read Doc's website about T&Cs first, as well as people's comments on their experience. Anyway, most accounts can be opened online, so if going in makes you uncomfortable, skip those bonuses altogether.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:19 pm

I did a $400 offer with KeyBank in 2018, and the experience was fine; I can easily make payroll deductions online. KeyBank pays promptly as noted above.

Very recently I tried two different online offers (Citi and Chase) about a week apart. In both cases, the system told me that my identity could not be verified and that I needed to come into a branch to open an account. Not sure if my credit freezes have something to do with this.
Last edited by CardinalRule on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:10 pm

CardinalRule wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:19 pm
I did a $400 offer with KeyBank in 2018, and the experience was fine; I can easily make payroll deductions online. KeyBank pays promptly as noted above.

Very recently I tried two different online offers (Citi and Chase) about a week apart. In both cases, the system told me that my identity could not be identified and that I needed to come into a branch to open an account. Not sure if my credit freezes have something to do with this.
Happened to my wife this year with Chase. No credit freeze on our end. Reading comments on Doc's website, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why it happens.

jeremyl

Post by jeremyl » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:06 am

snowman wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 pm
Johnny Thinwallet wrote:

My bonus just hit. Did you transfer all money to your linked account and leave just $25 for the early account closure fee?

snowman

Post by snowman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:24 pm

jeremyl wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:06 am
My bonus just hit. Did you transfer all money to your linked account and leave just $25 for the early account closure fee?
No, I left about $25 there, and did 8 amazon reloads every month ($4/month, $24 total). After 6 months, zeroed out the account with final amazon reload, and called to close the account.

If you don't want to do reloads, transfer everything out, and call to close your account. I think they only charge $25 fee if there is money in the account, but cannot confirm it 100%. Worth a try.

czaj

Post by czaj » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:46 pm

I think you can also avoid the monthly maintenance fee by having $500 transferred in (and then out) monthly.

https://onlinea.key.com/uap/SvltKdd?mod ... COCHT-KECP
Avoid Monthly Maintenance Service Charges
Have deposits (including transfers to this Account) totaling $500.00 or more credited, or at least 8 customer initiated transactions (any deposits, withdrawals, which includes transfers) during a statement cycle.