Bigger car for baby?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ChrisInSD

Re: Bigger car for baby?

Post by ChrisInSD » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:33 pm

surfstar wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm
surfstar wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:39 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:11 am
gmc4h232 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:48 pm
Do NOT buy another car using the new baby as a rationalization. This is a trap.

What make/model/year/mileage are your existing vehicles?
+1

You don't need the sedan to fit more than a driver and baby as you can all fit in the SUV.
It is one months salary for the OP. :oops:

For safety's sake they should upgrade from the 2008, small vehicle.
He said he doesn't like to buy things he doesn't need. He doesn't need it. Of course he can afford it. That wasn't the question.
"What do you guys think? Hold off for as long as possible or buy larger car now to avoid future headaches?"

If one month's salary can avoid future headaches and they are likely to keep that vehicle for 11 years (as their current one), why not?
I don't see fretting over need/want here. This isn't a $5k piece of jewelry watch.
Thank you. And yes, you are understanding me. I wear a Citizen watch I bought at Sears--with a coupon. I would rather have an Omega. But I have decent willpower to resist... :)

bene1

Post by bene1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Like others, we have two bases and leave the car seat at day care. However, my understanding is that all car seats sold in the US can also be used without the base. The seats are safety tested with and without the base, and the base is a convenience feature. Read the manual. Our pre-baby classes clued us in to the local sheriff's department that will verify proper installation in both configurations. Very helpful.

With our car seat, using without the base has a smaller footprint and fits better into a smaller car.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 pm

There certainly have to be adjustments that can be made. I mean, I took a 10 hour each way trip in a 2000 BMW 3 series (about the size of a Honda Civic) with myself (6'4") and a rear-facing infant carrier on the driver's side, and my wife (5'11") and Father-in-Law (6'1") on the passenger side, no issues. One of my employees drives the tiny Scion xB, which fits himself, his wife, infant and toddler just fine. When they went on a recent road trip, they rented a larger vehicle because it couldn't also fit strollers, baby gear and luggage all at the same time.

Definitely get the extra base. We had 3, because my father-in-law also drove our son around a good bit. But we never owned more than one seat until he got into the cheap boosters.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Remember - a new car that is great for a baby might not be that great when the child gets bigger and/or when other child-related needs happen (such as car pooling with other kids - or child related travel).

Think Longer Term!

iasw

Post by iasw » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Have you talked with a certified car seat expert? They can look at your installation and make recommendations.

Also the car-seat dot org forum can be helpful.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:40 pm

ChrisInSD wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:33 pm
surfstar wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
surfstar wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:11 am

+1

You don't need the sedan to fit more than a driver and baby as you can all fit in the SUV.

He said he doesn't like to buy things he doesn't need. He doesn't need it. Of course he can afford it. That wasn't the question.
"What do you guys think? Hold off for as long as possible or buy larger car now to avoid future headaches?"

If one month's salary can avoid future headaches and they are likely to keep that vehicle for 11 years (as their current one), why not?
I don't see fretting over need/want here. This isn't a $5k piece of jewelry watch.
Thank you. And yes, you are understanding me. I wear a Citizen watch I bought at Sears--with a coupon. I would rather have an Omega. But I have decent willpower to resist... :)
Of course the financial situation and the fact that it is probably time for a newer car anyways changes everything, but on the surface the child car seat rationalization was bizarre. Dude, get a new car.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:39 pm

My advice is to wait. Until the child is about two or three years old and you can rule out some major medical or developmental issues.

Having a child can change finances drastically, can change lifestyles drastically, and it is better to get a handle on that first.

Do whatever you need to do in the meantime, but realize that your needs are likely to change often going forward.

Topic Author
ChrisInSD

Post by ChrisInSD » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:22 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:40 pm
ChrisInSD wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:33 pm
surfstar wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
surfstar wrote:

Of course the financial situation and the fact that it is probably time for a newer car anyways changes everything, but on the surface the child car seat rationalization was bizarre. Dude, get a new car.
Not a rationalization--it was simply the single event that prompted me to start looking. Was planning to wait until my current car started breaking down first. Just wanted to see what other rational people's experiences were with babies, car seats, transportation w/adults etc and see if it was something that would be useful.

My summary is:

Most people seem to think it's not needed.

Not a lot of people seem to take any family members in their cars with the baby in the car as well--only one or two people actually commented on that. I'm wondering if that's because they have no car that could actually accommodate it.

Various people told me I need to look at car seat blogs--I've read every one of them, thanks.

One person seems to work for the minivan trade association and warns me of "future needs" where I will lead large carpools that a full size sedan can't handle, not to mention my current car.

Other people say your car is old, just do it.

My secretary, a mother, just told me I need a bigger car. One of my clients with kids also told me this week I should get a bigger car--the client is an auto manufacturer, however, so can't be trusted ;)

My spouse is tired of hearing me ask the question--as I'm sure all of you are. "Just do it or don't--whatever you think"

Thanks all for helping out an anal-analytical person!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 pm

:happy :happy
One person seems to work for the minivan trade association and warns me of "future needs" where I will lead large carpools that a full size sedan can't handle, not to mention my current car.
No - just a very longtime minivan owner - and speak from experience - and my wife's opinions as well.

Good Luck - having child(ren) can change a lot of things! :oops:

TheDoorMan19

Post by TheDoorMan19 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:38 pm

I didn’t read your post or any replies but I can tell you that the answer to the question in the title is Minivan. That is the answer to any question involving the word vehicle and children.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 am

bene1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:43 pm
However, my understanding is that all car seats sold in the US can also be used without the base. The seats are safety tested with and without the base, and the base is a convenience feature.
Many, but not all US sold seats with bases can be used without the base.

Here's an example of one that requires a base:
https://www.nunababy.com/usa/pipa-lite

"Must be installed in a vehicle with the accompanied PIPA™ series base"

Dopey

Post by Dopey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:59 am

I rolled with 2 kids in my Chevy Cruze for a couple years. It only worked because I rarely had a passenger, so the rear facing seat was on that side. My son was old enough to safely ride forward facing, so he was behind the driver.

Just had a 3rd kid so I sadly had to sell off my Cruze. Purchased a $7k Honda Pilot that comfortably holds us all.

A new car for the first kid though seems crazy. But so does the car seat collection you’ve compiled. Been there. Fun times.

keaton

Post by keaton » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:18 am

My wife and I are in the same situation! Kind of....

We have a Uppababy Mesa car seat with one base, as they are so easy to clip in and out I didn’t bother with a second.

As for the cars, I drive an 03 Golf TDI that I get free fuel for so drive as my beater until it dies. Putting the car seat in the middle works but still tight.

Next car is an 07 Audi A4 wagon, which we thought would be just fine but is very tight with the car seat behind the passenger. My wife is tall so it’s pretty cozy!

The last, is an 2013 Passat TDI and that is where it’s at!! Tons of backseat room for changing and nursing. We can have passengers with ease. Plus they get great fuel economy.

Not that it helps you, but if your older car is worth $6k, you could pick up an older TDI Passat for just a little more, it’s great. Our next car though will be the older Touareg TDI or BMW 35D.