External sreaming device on smart TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

External sreaming device on smart TV

Post by Triple digit golfer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:37 am

We're in the market for our first new TV in ten years.

I really like a particular Vizio TV. 4k, 120hz refresh rate for $500.

We stream with an external device, Amazon Fire TV stick.

My wife said not to get a Vizio because they don't support Disney+. I told her that the Fire TV stick does and therefore it will play fine on a Vizio TV, as the TV is essentially being used as a "dumb" TV since we're using an external device.

Am I right?

onourway

Re: External sreaming device on smart TV

Post by onourway » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am

Yes. Don’t buy a tv based on its built in smart features which are likely poorly implemented, poorly supported, and likely to be left to languish after a couple of years. Use the 3rd party streaming device of your choice which can be updated cheaply every few years.

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 am

If you have a streaming device you are happy with there is no reason to even connect the television itself to your network. The apps on the TV will generally be inferior and be updated less reliably, and it's just another avenue by which your watching habits could be tracked. Television companies (including Vizio) actually build in content recognition technology of the video stream itself to collect data about what you are watching. If you don't connect it they can't send it back. Of course your streaming device is tracking everything you do also, but no reason to add an extra party if it's not necessary.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 am

Ask you wife which TV does support Disney Plus...?????
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:52 am

onourway wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
Yes. Don’t buy a tv based on its built in smart features which are likely poorly implemented, poorly supported, and likely to be left to languish after a couple of years. Use the 3rd party streaming device of your choice which can be updated cheaply every few years.
+1

I recently made the transition from smart tv --> Roku stick due to this exact scenario. My 3 year old LG smart tv suddenly was unable to connect to my UVerse to stream content. Worked my way up the help line until I got a manager in LG's software support division, and finally was told that the company doesn't update coding for older versions of the smart tv algorithms so they couldn't help. Last suggestion made was to try calling in a third party repairman but that it was unlikely the connection could be restored.

Unwilling to spend money on that probably vain attempt, I instead bought a Roku+ which works great, in fact I have many more options using that than with the embedded smart tv functions.
Last edited by pennywise on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:18 am

I prefer the external streaming device (roku). One of my smart TVs (LG) takes longer to connect when I go through the TV’s built-in interface versus the Roku.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:21 am

We got a Samsung smart TV about 5 years ago. Its interface and speed is so poor now compared to the Amazon FireStick that we got a year ago. When we replace the TV, we won't be getting another smart TV

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 am

I haven't bought a tv in a few years. Is it hard to find a "dumb" tv? I bought a Vizio Smart from Sam's about 5 years ago but never could get it to connect to my internet. Took it back & got the same version but dumb. My Roku connected immediately from the same location. The next two big screens I bought (Haier & Hitachi) both dumb. Just seems easier to buy streaming devices.
Last edited by KSOC on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too soon old, too late smart.

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks Bogleheads.

Another question related to TVs. Right now when watching sports or action movies at my house, there is some motion blur. I even notice when watching Family Guy when Peter was running down the street before he hurt his knee. At my in-law's house on their new TV, it is much more smooth, almost like the "soap opera effect."

Do I need a 120hz TV to get the reduced blur? I have no idea what my current TV is. It's a Panasonic plasma from 2010.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:09 am

IIRC some TVs have a menu setting like “motion smoothing” that allows you to minimize the sports blur.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Plasmas don’t generally have much motion blur. This could be from the source. You would want to google “stop motion blur Panasonic model 1234” for specifics, but maybe this will help ( it talks about film, but maybe it will help with sports)
what you’re seeing on your plasma actually is motion blur, except in this case it’s likely an artifact present in the source instead of something generated by the TV. Let me explain. Most Hollywood films and TV dramas are shot at 24 frames-per-second (fps) rate. That rate isn’t fast enough to record blur-free images on fast-motion scenes and camera pans, however, so a degree of blur ends up being captured in each frame. Why shoot films at 24 fps if it adds blur? Because motion-picture film was standardized at a 24 fps rate in the early days of sound cinema, audiences became used to the look (the “film look”), and the tradition has continued into the present day. Even high-def and 4K video cameras used for professional production usually provide a 24 fps mode to emulate a film look.

If you want to play with your Panasonic plasma’s settings to try and eliminate blur, try switching the set from its default 60 Hz to the 96 Hz mode. This reportedly reduces the blur/judder in film-based programs, though it’s also said to add a slight amount of flicker to images. You might also want to enable the set’s Motion Smoother mode. Doing so will introduce a degree of Soap Opera Effect, though it may not be as noticeable at the mode’s Weak setting. Anyway, since your eyes are apparently sensitive to motion blur, so you might actually prefer SOE to blur.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... R9sti5s.99
Last edited by mhalley on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:55 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 am
Ask you wife which TV does support Disney Plus...?????
Samsung and LG

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:58 pm

The thing about the smart TVs is that at some point they are likely to stop supporting various apps, at which point you will need to get a Roku or fire stick etc. anyway. I would put smart tv features way down on the list when buying a new one.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:05 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
I actually like the smart tv features of Samsung. Other than a Tivo, we have no other devices attached.

But yes, after a number of years, I expect that Netflix and other vendors will no longer support this model. At that point, I will buy a 3rd party streaming device rather than a new tv. Everything electronic eventually gets old enough that they don't support it anymore. I have multiple external streamers that are end of life.

The smart tv features aren't the reason I selected the television I have. They just come with it.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 pm

My first thought concerning the title of this thread was: screaming device?
Do you really need one?

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:06 pm

It’s for those on the Costco hearing aid thread.
Alexa, what time is it?
IT’S 5 P.M. HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND!

daheld

Post by daheld » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:14 pm

I am not a technophile and many things may have changed over the years, but I have a Vizio that's probably close to 10 years old and still works great. Picture, to my eyes, is phenomenal.

We also have a newer TCL Roku TV and I'm well pleased with it, though I understand others concerns about it eventually not supporting some apps. I like Roku for streaming service, though it's admittedly the only one I've used.