adult child moving back

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
SSM1
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 pm

adult child moving back

Post by SSM1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am

My daughter almost 23 wants to move back with me, work part-time at minimum wage job, take classes at community college. She really wants to continue working part time, but IDK if she could handle it with school. She is interested in journalism, editing, maybe graphic arts. She enjoys drawing and is creative. She has had abusive controlling relationships, stressful for both of us. She has several disabilities/challenges, hope she will use accessibility programs at school. She seems to be maturing but has struggled academically and has hurdles. She eventually wants to move to lower cost of living warm climate, maybe Florida.
I am single, have sold my house net about 577 put in money market in July, and moved to an expensive 2 BR apartment (step 1 good, step 2 not so great). I don't know if I will stay here (but I don't like Fla). I have stress-related health problems, not working almost 3 yrs, but looking/applying without luck (overqualified, LT unemployed & age 62 ).
Financial planner had said to stay in house, so I paid for plan I didn't follow! Ha! House was too big, also a stress with maintenance and too much of a carbon footprint.
1. What should we discuss and put in writing? Roommate agreement
2. I'm revising my LRT, and the new elder care attorney suggests lifetime trust for her with independent fiduciary (fiduciary because too much to ask of a good friend), as well as neuropsych evaluation for daughter to decide about her special needs.
Thoughts?
Thank you.

GmanJeff
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:12 am

Re: adult child moving back

Post by GmanJeff » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 am

I'd propose that you need a mutually understood and agreed to exit plan as an essential element of moving forward. That is, a defined date or event within which the living arrangement terminates. With that, a similar understanding with regard to responsibilities - for financial contributions to the shared household expenses, and for labor - who does the cooking, grocery shopping, and cleaning, for example? Will your daughter be permitted to have overnight guests, and with what kind of frequency and for what duration (so you don't end up with two roommates instead of one!).

All that notwithstanding, recognize that your daughter may not live up to her end of the bargain. In such a case, what will you do? Are you prepared to formally evict her if necessary? Since she has not been successful academically in the past, has something changed to improve her prospects, or will you and she just be throwing tuition money away?

An alternative, if you're willing and able, might be to offer your daughter some level of short-term financial support in lieu of letting her live with you. She can work full-time and still take classes at night or on-line instead of working only part-time. She can rent a room for herself, taking responsibility for aligning her expenses with her income, rather than being subsidized by you, which may give her more incentive to find her own footing. Any financial support you can give her for some agreed period of time would allow you to be helpful, without enabling your daughter to avoid responsibility for taking care of herself.

delamer
Posts: 9332
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by delamer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:47 am

Ask yourself this — if my daughter moved back in and didn’t contribute to any household expenses like rent, utilities, or food would that create a budget problem for me? What if she didn’t contribute to those expenses and started asking me for help with her personal expenses like tuition, car gas and insurance, etc.? Would that be a financial strain?

Use that information as your guide.

User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 3937
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:53 am

SSM1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
My daughter almost 23 wants to move back with me, work part-time at minimum wage job, take classes at community college. She really wants to continue working part time, but IDK if she could handle it with school.
Why not? Has she ever worked and gone to school before, or will this be something new?

I am single, have sold my house net about 577 put in money market in July, and moved to an expensive 2 BR apartment (step 1 good, step 2 not so great). I don't know if I will stay here (but I don't like Fla). I have stress-related health problems, not working almost 3 yrs, but looking/applying without luck (overqualified, LT unemployed & age 62 ).

Financial planner had said to stay in house, so I paid for plan I didn't follow! Ha! House was too big, also a stress with maintenance and too much of a carbon footprint.
So are you looking for work because your income is insufficient? Can you afford to support your daughter if you don't find work at all and she finds out that she cannot work and attend school at the same time?
1. What should we discuss and put in writing? Roommate agreement
How much do you trust your daughter?
How do you want this living arrangement to work?

If you have specific concerns about her moving back (such as how long she stays, what she pays for, etc), and you don't completely trust your daughter to follow your "rules", then put it in writing.

Unless you are willing to formally evict your daughter or sue her, then the writing won't matter anyway. But sometimes having things in writing can motivate the behavior that interests you.

Some parents would include who pays for what. Some would charge a nominal rent. Some parents would write down an exit date. Some would include visitation permissions. Etc, etc - whatever is important to you.
2. I'm revising my LRT, and the new elder care attorney suggests lifetime trust for her with independent fiduciary (fiduciary because too much to ask of a good friend), as well as neuropsych evaluation for daughter to decide about her special needs.
Thoughts?
It makes sense to follow the advice of professionals you are paying. But only you can decide (and you've chosen not to follow such advice before). If you aren't planning to follow the advice, perhaps you could decide not to bother spending money on the attorney in the first place.

That said, most attorneys will honor your wishes regarding trusts - if you make them clear. That will help them provide advice that you would be willing to follow.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a lemming.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 10491
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:10 am

From a parent/child standpoint, it's your house and your rules. Write them on a paper. Hang the paper somewhere it will be visible every day. Having a 23 and 19 year old at home, I know that it's key to keep that right out there. I don't care that legally, you can do xyz. If you don't like my oppressive rules, you're welcome to go live somewhere you pay yourself.

On the community college/job thing, for someone with some disabilities, that can be fine. This also can be mitigated by taking less than a full load. Instead of 5 or 6 classes a semester, maybe 4. I have a son in CC and one thing we make sure he focuses on is taking courses that will later transfer to a 4 year school. So the class he takes isn't as important as getting a B (many schools will only transfer a B or higher) and that the class has transfer value. The journalism end....well, to keep her interest, fine. As a humanities transfer, fine. As a way to be gainfully employed? I don't know.....go look for anyone looking for someone with an associates in journalism. Then compare the salary to a new employee at McDonalds.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

flyingaway
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: adult child moving back

Post by flyingaway » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am

SSM1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
My daughter almost 23 wants to move back with me, work part-time at minimum wage job, take classes at community college. She really wants to continue working part time, but IDK if she could handle it with school. She is interested in journalism, editing, maybe graphic arts. She enjoys drawing and is creative. She has had abusive controlling relationships, stressful for both of us. She has several disabilities/challenges, hope she will use accessibility programs at school. She seems to be maturing but has struggled academically and has hurdles. She eventually wants to move to lower cost of living warm climate, maybe Florida.
I am single, have sold my house net about 577 put in money market in July, and moved to an expensive 2 BR apartment (step 1 good, step 2 not so great). I don't know if I will stay here (but I don't like Fla). I have stress-related health problems, not working almost 3 yrs, but looking/applying without luck (overqualified, LT unemployed & age 62 ).
Financial planner had said to stay in house, so I paid for plan I didn't follow! Ha! House was too big, also a stress with maintenance and too much of a carbon footprint.
1. What should we discuss and put in writing? Roommate agreement
2. I'm revising my LRT, and the new elder care attorney suggests lifetime trust for her with independent fiduciary (fiduciary because too much to ask of a good friend), as well as neuropsych evaluation for daughter to decide about her special needs.
Thoughts?
Thank you.
When my children left home for their jobs elsewhere, I told them to good take care of themselves, and they can always come back to home at any time no matter what happens in their lives.

It is my belief that we brought out children to this world and we will always be responsible for their lives.

HomeStretch
Posts: 2953
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:18 am

Only you know your daughter and, if you agree, written rules sound like a good idea. Consider whether your support now to age 22 daughter will allow her to become fully/more easily self-supporting for life.

The Trust sounds like a good recommendation. Is it possible or make sense to name a trusted (younger) family member or friend as co-trustee to keep an eye out for your daughter’s interests (if daughter is not able to self-advocate) while the independent trustee does all the heavy lifting with the Trust?

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8490
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 am

1. "Teamwork" towards establishing, and following, a change in lifestyle and end term career/earning goal that includes:

a. Employment in a trade, certifiable skill, etc.
b. Education/training towards a certificate, degree, etc, with employment in a job that "needed that certification".
(vs random generic courses with no end game in mind. ie: cruising) Suggest: LPN certification, and so forth.
c. Part time work and contribution to the household expenses monetarily.
d. Lifestyle change that does not include; cruising, hanging out, a misdirected teenage lifestyle, and so forth.
e. Awareness that non productive patterns, conflict, substance abuse, etc, will result in having to move out.

*This can be a tremendous bonding experience that is productive for both of you, if done properly.

*Both read: "Life Code" by Dr. Phil, "Life Strategies" by Dr. Phil.

*Post a portfolio review (per forum guidelines and format) for comprehensive financial help and the option of not needing "financial advisors"/etc.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22368
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: adult child moving back

Post by dm200 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:48 pm

Seems very good that daughter wants to get more education.

Seems, as well, that you could use more money (some from her - if she works) to pay for expensive apartment.

What is she doing now? What other alternatives does she have?

What issues concern you about her moving in? What would you expect of her?

Is she (or can she) get any help/assistance/guidance in dealing with her disabilities/challenges?

If she has not already done so, I would urge her to get whatever assistance or programs at Community College she can qualify for. Such assistance, etc. might be just what she needs to be successful at school and later employment.

When your lease is up on the expensive apartment, can you find an acceptable lower cost one?

In the situation you describe (daughter with issues and you being 62, unemployed and health issues), might there be some kind of housing you could qualify for at a lower cost?

RetiredCSProf
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by RetiredCSProf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:53 pm

I'll respond to the question about CC

Since your daughter is an adult, it will be her responsibility to disclose to the CC (after admitted as a student) to receive disability services, such as priority registration, extra help with academic counseling, and a note-taker in classes. It will also be up to her to use the services offered. For extra time on taking tests, your daughter will need to disclose that service to professors, although she will not need to disclose her diagnosis to professors.

To get disability services at a CC, your daughter will likely need to have had an evaluation and diagnosis within the past three years.

As for tuition, CCs in my area (California) offer two years of free tuition to residents who have not previously been enrolled in college. Otherwise, tuition is based on the number of credits in which the student is enrolled. My son and most of his friends needed three years to complete CC.

As for which courses to take, most CC students are there to complete their general education requirements (if they plan to continue to a four-year school), not their major. In a sense, it is similar to high school, where students takes classes in a broad range of introductory classes, such as English, mathematics, science, social studies, and fine arts. Otherwise, there are specialty programs for specific occupations, such as paralegal or air conditioning repair person.

If your daughter is not academically inclined, she may want to consider pursuing a career in something that does not require college. My cousin's daughter worked as a dental hygienist and is now a massage therapist.

Shallowpockets
Posts: 1422
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:56 pm

She wants a minimum wage job while she pursues a creative and artsy sort of further education. Maybe you should look at that. Doesn’t seem to bode well as a profession to make any sort of money beyond a minimum wage. In effect, there may be debt coming for the schooling that will not advance her lifestyle at all and thus her contributions to your household.
You state you are already having stress in your life that impedes it in some way. Doesn’t seem as if this scheme with your daughter will help with that at all.
Even if she goes to community college and realizes a degree of some sort, and then gets a job at minimum wage after, you are in the same boat.
Sometimes lives as we want them have to be put on hold for the sake of life itself and making a living. Pursuing an artsy agenda usually means a long long stretch of lesser,jobs and less money until one breaks out, if that ever even happens.
If your arrangement comes to pass it may be for as long as you yourself have left on this earth. You are 62.
This is a time whereby you set maybe the last direction in which your life may go.

blackwhisker
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by blackwhisker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am
SSM1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
My daughter almost 23 wants to move back with me, work part-time at minimum wage job, take classes at community college. She really wants to continue working part time, but IDK if she could handle it with school. She is interested in journalism, editing, maybe graphic arts. She enjoys drawing and is creative. She has had abusive controlling relationships, stressful for both of us. She has several disabilities/challenges, hope she will use accessibility programs at school. She seems to be maturing but has struggled academically and has hurdles. She eventually wants to move to lower cost of living warm climate, maybe Florida.
I am single, have sold my house net about 577 put in money market in July, and moved to an expensive 2 BR apartment (step 1 good, step 2 not so great). I don't know if I will stay here (but I don't like Fla). I have stress-related health problems, not working almost 3 yrs, but looking/applying without luck (overqualified, LT unemployed & age 62 ).
Financial planner had said to stay in house, so I paid for plan I didn't follow! Ha! House was too big, also a stress with maintenance and too much of a carbon footprint.
1. What should we discuss and put in writing? Roommate agreement
2. I'm revising my LRT, and the new elder care attorney suggests lifetime trust for her with independent fiduciary (fiduciary because too much to ask of a good friend), as well as neuropsych evaluation for daughter to decide about her special needs.
Thoughts?
Thank you.
When my children left home for their jobs elsewhere, I told them to good take care of themselves, and they can always come back to home at any time no matter what happens in their lives.

It is my belief that we brought out children to this world and we will always be responsible for their lives.
I totally agree with flyingaway! I feel the kids didn't choose but we parents chose to bring the kids to this world.

EnjoyIt
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by EnjoyIt » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:10 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am
SSM1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
My daughter almost 23 wants to move back with me, work part-time at minimum wage job, take classes at community college. She really wants to continue working part time, but IDK if she could handle it with school. She is interested in journalism, editing, maybe graphic arts. She enjoys drawing and is creative. She has had abusive controlling relationships, stressful for both of us. She has several disabilities/challenges, hope she will use accessibility programs at school. She seems to be maturing but has struggled academically and has hurdles. She eventually wants to move to lower cost of living warm climate, maybe Florida.
I am single, have sold my house net about 577 put in money market in July, and moved to an expensive 2 BR apartment (step 1 good, step 2 not so great). I don't know if I will stay here (but I don't like Fla). I have stress-related health problems, not working almost 3 yrs, but looking/applying without luck (overqualified, LT unemployed & age 62 ).
Financial planner had said to stay in house, so I paid for plan I didn't follow! Ha! House was too big, also a stress with maintenance and too much of a carbon footprint.
1. What should we discuss and put in writing? Roommate agreement
2. I'm revising my LRT, and the new elder care attorney suggests lifetime trust for her with independent fiduciary (fiduciary because too much to ask of a good friend), as well as neuropsych evaluation for daughter to decide about her special needs.
Thoughts?
Thank you.
When my children left home for their jobs elsewhere, I told them to good take care of themselves, and they can always come back to home at any time no matter what happens in their lives.

It is my belief that we brought out children to this world and we will always be responsible for their lives.
I totally agree with flyingaway! I feel the kids didn't choose but we parents chose to bring the kids to this world.
There is a thin line between responsible and enabling. Helping someone get on their feet and help with education is awesome. Letting an adult child live at home while not having a job and/or not going to school is something else. I would not throw them out on the street as you said, we have some responsibility, but I would also not allow them to sit around the house, smoking weed, drinking beer and having friends hang out all the time.

To OP, I agree with those who have recommended some kind fo outline regarding responsibilities around the house as well as an exit strategy. Love your daughter, help her, and help her succeed so that she does not need to live off of you any longer than necessary.

Katietsu
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Katietsu » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:14 pm

I think many problems of adult family members living together or going in to business together are a result of two people going into the situation with different expectations. If you ask yourself what issues would you want discussed if an acquaintance was coming to stay, that might help you identify at least some of the topics for discussion.

While I do not disagree with the my house my rules mantra, I do think that the situation will likely have a more successful outcome if you recognize that she is a 22 year old woman who has been on her own.

Just from personal observation of a few extended family members, working part time may actually help your daughter stay on track if the job is kept to say 10 hours a week with the ability to schedule around school commitments. So, I would not be too quick to rule this out as counter productive.

I think finding a good disability counselor at the very beginning could make a huge difference.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 pm

I think your first order of business is to get a thorough understanding of your daughter's abilities/disabilities. Until you know what she is capable of any plans you make to accommodate her living arrangements/educational efforts could be a waste of time.

Setting unreasonable/unreachable goals helps neither of you. And, the reverse helps both of you.

Good luck, I wish you success in this activity!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

ohai
Posts: 1157
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by ohai » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 pm

I am not judging, but I'd take an honest evaluation on daughter's career prospects and whether the minimum wage job is likely to be temporary or persistent after she completes her program. The first possibility is that she is getting a job and being somewhat self sustaining, while working on some degree or certificate with unknown and unreliable prospects. The second view is that the future career is promising and she should go all-in with school. I'm raising this assessment because I know people, including close relative, who have pursued degrees based on hope, but in the mean time, neglected personal finances to their later detriment. Perhaps your daughter has some notion of wanting to hedge her employment route, as the opportunities from the degree could end up being uncertain.

I agree with above people about a written agreement. It might be a bit awkward to draft it up, but among other things, will help daughter's self esteem in that it will feel like a genuine renter agreement, rather than her just taking a subsidy from you. Given her background, it seems that she needs some emotional structure in addition to a job or education plan.

With that being said, should recognize that you are supporting her anyway, even if it is in terms of risk mitigation; if she can't pay or satisfy your initial agreement, are you going to throw her out?

Good luck anyway. Daughter is lucky to have a parent who will take her in and put thought into the situation.

TN_Boy
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:15 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:10 pm
blackwhisker wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am
SSM1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
My daughter almost 23 wants to move back with me, work part-time at minimum wage job, take classes at community college. She really wants to continue working part time, but IDK if she could handle it with school. She is interested in journalism, editing, maybe graphic arts. She enjoys drawing and is creative. She has had abusive controlling relationships, stressful for both of us. She has several disabilities/challenges, hope she will use accessibility programs at school. She seems to be maturing but has struggled academically and has hurdles. She eventually wants to move to lower cost of living warm climate, maybe Florida.
I am single, have sold my house net about 577 put in money market in July, and moved to an expensive 2 BR apartment (step 1 good, step 2 not so great). I don't know if I will stay here (but I don't like Fla). I have stress-related health problems, not working almost 3 yrs, but looking/applying without luck (overqualified, LT unemployed & age 62 ).
Financial planner had said to stay in house, so I paid for plan I didn't follow! Ha! House was too big, also a stress with maintenance and too much of a carbon footprint.
1. What should we discuss and put in writing? Roommate agreement
2. I'm revising my LRT, and the new elder care attorney suggests lifetime trust for her with independent fiduciary (fiduciary because too much to ask of a good friend), as well as neuropsych evaluation for daughter to decide about her special needs.
Thoughts?
Thank you.
When my children left home for their jobs elsewhere, I told them to good take care of themselves, and they can always come back to home at any time no matter what happens in their lives.

It is my belief that we brought out children to this world and we will always be responsible for their lives.
I totally agree with flyingaway! I feel the kids didn't choose but we parents chose to bring the kids to this world.
There is a thin line between responsible and enabling. Helping someone get on their feet and help with education is awesome. Letting an adult child live at home while not having a job and/or not going to school is something else. I would not throw them out on the street as you said, we have some responsibility, but I would also not allow them to sit around the house, smoking weed, drinking beer and having friends hang out all the time.

To OP, I agree with those who have recommended some kind fo outline regarding responsibilities around the house as well as an exit strategy. Love your daughter, help her, and help her succeed so that she does not need to live off of you any longer than necessary.
It's really not a matter of who chose what. Letting kids come back home without conditions for any reason may not be a good idea.

I am not a parent with a child who has returned home. But I am closely familiar with this situation from multiple family and friend situations.

It's amazing how comfortable some kids (I use the word "kids" for people in their 20s and older ....) get with mom and dad paying the bills. And even if mom and dad charge rent, the kid still isn't living in the real world -- paying bills on time, getting stuff with the house fixed ..... all the things you have to do running your life when on your own. Mommy and daddy are still doing some of the grownup work. The family home is a safe place ... not to make progress in your life....

Note I understand that it may make a lot of sense for some kids to move back home at times. But wow, I've seen people just stagnate moving back home. It allows you to postpone hard choices.

Quote from a family friend's middle child, who was on the six ... or seven .... year college plan living at home: "The best thing that ever happened to me was dad kicking me out of the house."

Anyway, it sounds like the OP is doing the right thing evaluating her daughter's health situation. I would put on the table with her, "when do you think you can be on your own?"

junior
Posts: 892
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:14 pm
Contact:

Re: adult child moving back

Post by junior » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:57 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Quote from a family friend's middle child, who was on the six ... or seven .... year college plan living at home: "The best thing that ever happened to me was dad kicking me out of the house."
On the other hand, a parent in denial about their kid's disability is setting everyone up for disappointment or worse if they kick them out of the house in a situation where the kid won't thrive.

Of course I'm just speaking hypothetically, that comment may not be applicable to the current kid under discussion.

bloom2708
Posts: 6972
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: adult child moving back

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Op, it is your daughter.

It sounds like you both could perhaps help each other out.

I'm not sure more school (loans) is the answer. Can she find a job, get some stability, pay some bills, maybe pay you some rent and find a good spot to land?

Those interests in more school seem varied. Can she afford more student loan debt?

These are tough for anonymous boards. We have 3 daughters. I would do most anything for them as long as it is a win-win scenario. I know there are drug and addiction issues that make that very hard. The disabilities may make that difficult here.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22368
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: adult child moving back

Post by dm200 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:17 pm

When my wife's niece got married (at the age of 19) and moved out, her parents converted her bedroom into a dining room - so there was no bedroom for her to have of she wanted to move back home.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Our daughters flew the co-op when they started college. The one who went out of area for college came back during the summer breaks, and worked and also took some classes over the break. She lived with us during the summer. Helped DW alot.

And, last year a daughter and family moved in with us when their house sold quickly, and their new home was under construction.

It was actually a lot of fun having them here for the seven months they were with us. Family dinners, summer activities for the grandchildren, when they moved out I was kinda sad, it was such a good time for all of us.

Our door will always be open to our children if the need to live here for legit circumstances. This year DDs took turns living with us for weeks when DW had knee replacement, they were so very helpful. Nothing extraordinary, that is what family members do for each other. Unless one has a dysfunctional family/member.

Multi-generation family living under one roof used to be pretty standard. Grandpa would die, and Grandma would move into a daughter's or son's home, or the son or daughter would move into grandma's home. Both my grandmothers lived with their daughters, as so many of that generation's women did not work outside the home. The grandmothers provided child care, cooked, etc. Big help with the generation of women who headed out to the workplace.

But, times change, and sometimes I think it was for the worse, in many cases.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

uberdoc
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by uberdoc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 pm
Our daughters flew the co-op when they started college. The one who went out of area for college came back during the summer breaks, and worked and also took some classes over the break. She lived with us during the summer. Helped DW alot.

And, last year a daughter and family moved in with us when their house sold quickly, and their new home was under construction.

It was actually a lot of fun having them here for the seven months they were with us. Family dinners, summer activities for the grandchildren, when they moved out I was kinda sad, it was such a good time for all of us.

Our door will always be open to our children if the need to live here for legit circumstances. This year DDs took turns living with us for weeks when DW had knee replacement, they were so very helpful. Nothing extraordinary, that is what family members do for each other. Unless one has a dysfunctional family/member.

Multi-generation family living under one roof used to be pretty standard. Grandpa would die, and Grandma would move into a daughter's or son's home, or the son or daughter would move into grandma's home. Both my grandmothers lived with their daughters, as so many of that generation's women did not work outside the home. The grandmothers provided child care, cooked, etc. Big help with the generation of women who headed out to the workplace.

But, times change, and sometimes I think it was for the worse, in many cases.

Broken Man 1999
You raised your daughters well.

TN_Boy
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by TN_Boy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 pm

junior wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:57 pm
TN_Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Quote from a family friend's middle child, who was on the six ... or seven .... year college plan living at home: "The best thing that ever happened to me was dad kicking me out of the house."
On the other hand, a parent in denial about their kid's disability is setting everyone up for disappointment or worse if they kick them out of the house in a situation where the kid won't thrive.

Of course I'm just speaking hypothetically, that comment may not be applicable to the current kid under discussion.
Sure, that's why it makes sense that the OP is getting some evaluation of her daughter. Perhaps she cannot make it on her own right now.

In which case, it still strikes me as high priority to see if there is a path to getting her self-sufficient. What if mom dies prematurely? Daughter will be on her own then.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 17641
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Watty » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:54 pm

SSM1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
2. I'm revising my LRT, and the new elder care attorney suggests lifetime trust for her with independent fiduciary (fiduciary because too much to ask of a good friend), as well as neuropsych evaluation for daughter to decide about her special needs.
One of the biggest mistakes with paying for professional advice like that is not taking it. If there is some question about if what they are suggesting is really right then getting a second professional opinion would be an option.

PS even if your good friend is willing and capable of managing the trust they could very well die or be in a nursing home when you die in 20 years so not using them makes sense.
SSM1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
1. What should we discuss and put in writing? Roommate agreement
I don't know about putting it in writing but a couple of things where you should have mutual expectations on are;

1) Dating, for both of you. Will she have boyfriends spend the night? Will you have dates spend the night? Will either of you spend the night elsewhere, or be out until three in the morning?

2) What are the rules for her having other guests over?

2) Drug and alcohol use. I obviously don't know her but I would think that there is a non-zero chance that she might have at least borderline issues with these even if it is social drinking or drug use like marijuana.

3) Use of cars and parking especially if you do not have two parking spaces. Will you drive each others cars? Make sure your car insurance and your umbrella policy will handle her being there OK.

4) You are not roommates. You are not friends. It is your place and you are the parent and she is the kid.

5) A planned date when she will move out, maybe the end of the spring semester if goes to school in January. You can always extend the date but if things are not working out that would be a good time to have her move out without a lot of drama.

6) How is she going to pay for college?
SSM1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
She is interested in journalism, editing, maybe graphic arts. She enjoys drawing and is creative.
...
She has several disabilities/challenges, hope she will use accessibility programs at school.
It would be good to get a realistic idea if the job prospects of these fields.

Newspapers and magazines are in big trouble so the traditional jobs for journalism majors are in trouble.

It would be good to keep an open mind about vocational school might work better for her.

Topic Author
SSM1
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by SSM1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks for all the great input. Quick replies:
- Paying for community college here is not a hardship for me, but she needs to stay on track and not drop out with tuition/time lost. And I agree that we need to see about career path vs. wasting time and funds with no good job prospects. Is the CC advisor good enough to help - or shall we get other input? Vocational/disabilities counselor may be good.
- There is not a problem with substance use, based on numerous conversations with her, her counselor, and friends. Of course we need to continue conversations/check-ins. She has paid her own bills except for phone, I pay (and BF helped some, though using her car). And she has saved some money $3k for emergency.
- I need to manage stress, and ensure responsibilities and expectations. I plan on written agreement that we discuss and sign. (And no overnight guests, as we have not allowed in the past.)
- Cost of living (plus crowding and air pollution) may be too high here for the long term.
- I will follow the attorney's advice re: requesting neuropsych evaluation and fiduciary trustee.
- She is my daughter and I want a better/positive relationship for the long term for both of us. So I'm walking the fine line of promoting responsibility/education/training/self-esteem in light of challenges and disabilities.
Thank you.
--SSM1

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2471
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Stinky » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:00 am

SSM1 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:37 am
I plan on written agreement that we discuss and sign.

- Cost of living (plus crowding and air pollution) may be too high here for the long term.
Make sure that you discuss your possible future move to another location when you have your discussion about the written agreement.

If you "kinda maybe" would be moving to another locale in 10 years, that's not a matter for current concern. But if you hope to move in the next year or two, then that part of the discussion should be front and center.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5357
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Kenkat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 am

The disability aspect definitely adds complexity to things as you have to find the balance between setting expectations vs. asking someone to do something that they aren’t really capable of. I have a son with disabilities so I walk this line.

I think it is good that she has a part time job, minimum wage or not. It’s a job, you have to show up at a specific time, do what is expected, etc. Many people attend community college on a part time basis while working. I’d be inclined to let her keep the part time job, maybe scale back hours if possible / practical and begin taking some college courses as a part time student in community college. I’d try to focus on having a goal in mind with those classes, either a two year degree or transfer ability to another college. Ideally a degree that can lead to a job. It’s got to be a fit to what she wants and can do while at the same time you have to be somewhat cognizant of how this can lead to a better job that can sustain her. Again, you will have to balance this with the challenges she has and getting a professional evaluation is key to 1) knowing what you are really dealing with; 2) getting help, both medical and social services where they may apply.

House rules should definitely be applied, just find the right balance between tough love and kindness given the limitations she may face. It’s just a different scenario when you are not dealing with a neuro-typical person as some things can really blow up in your face.

clip651
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 am

Re: adult child moving back

Post by clip651 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:38 pm

You mentioned that she has been in abusive or controlling relationships in the past. Sounds like she is out of that situation now. If she recognizes the problem and wants to stay away from that in the future, having a safe place to live with you may help her accomplish that, as she won't be as tempted to move in with a new partner quickly before getting to know them well, for instance. So that is another potential benefit to both of you (you mentioned her difficult relationships stressed you as well, understandably). A lot will depend on whether she is open to guidance from you and/or counseling and self-reflection and boundary setting for her future relationships. But I do think having a safe and supportive place to live is a big help.

Only you know your daughter, what she is capable of, and how your dynamic is and whether you will enjoy or not enjoy having her under your roof. Certainly sounds like she could benefit from your support and guidance for a time, if you are able to offer that. Figuring out finances, ground rules, etc have been mentioned by other posters, and you haven't given us a lot of information to be more specific in advice on those areas. But it sounds like you are going in with open eyes, at least. I hope it works out for both of you.

best wishes,
cj

oldfatguy
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:50 pm

SSM1 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:37 am
Thanks for all the great input. Quick replies:
- Paying for community college here is not a hardship for me, but she needs to stay on track and not drop out with tuition/time lost. And I agree that we need to see about career path vs. wasting time and funds with no good job prospects. Is the CC advisor good enough to help - or shall we get other input? Vocational/disabilities counselor may be good.
Depending on the nature and extent of her disabilities, she should be working with a Vocational Rehabilitation counselor. Check with your state department of labor/workforce development for eligibility and access to those services.

StealthRabbit
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:25 am

Re: adult child moving back

Post by StealthRabbit » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 pm

For the living arrangement I wholly agree with above:
1) Have an exit plan, before you open the door. (Including infringements that will expedite that plan)
2) Write out the rules and post them.
3) Schedule shared space. (laundry, Kitchen)
4) Have separate cupboards and fridge for food.
5) Keep a 'balance' log of expenses and payments (Utilities go up? Know what your normal rate is, and charge her for increases)
6) Showers. <5 minutes or get a 'coin machine' like a campground.
7) TV, No TV, throw the thing out or store it till she leaves.
8) Internet, she should have her own and pay for it.
9) Car? no shared car EVER.
10) Rent. She must pay a share of the rent or you will both be out on the street. This is no crime, my mom started charging me at age 15. I was gone by age 16. (found a cheaper place by myself!)

Career... get her into something that is much higher than minimum wage (that is for HS kids). Learn a trade, work night shift in a factory, work 2-3 extra jobs on weekends (more pay) Work nights as much as possible so everyday is free for attending school (+ a whole lot less time spent at your house).

School - WAIT until she has worked some jobs that she KNOWS she likes, is good at, and can provide a secure income and future. Her company should PAY for school, at least $3k - $5k / yr (even Walmart does this).

Relationships - off limits until career is found, then school is complete (4-6 yrs from now). No rush. She will be better prepared to 'throw-the-bums-OUT' if she has achieved her own confidence, independence, and greatness. No need for 'enablers' or 'dead-beats'.

Have a plan, stick with the plan.
Have an escape, exercise the escape plan if necessary.

JGoneRiding
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by JGoneRiding » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:07 am

McDonald's in our area is paying $15 n hr. This makes it hard for other employers to compete but it means "min wage" is really relative. Unfortunately it also means artsy carriers either need to step up and pay more or people just can't afford to pursue them. Starbucks provides benefits. Since she may be stuck in these types of jobs it's good to know the beat options.

Oh yeah and McDonald's gives some form of school assistance. It really can be a great job and teach team work and doing as you are told.

NotTooDeepLearning
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by NotTooDeepLearning » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:09 pm

I would encourage her to take only 1 or 2 classes (that are required prereqs or transfer to a 4-year program) the first semester if shes working as well. Getting back into the groove of coursework can be stressful and I think 4-6 courses right off the bat for a lot of people is way too much. Of course if someone is only taking 2 classes they really ought to be getting straight A's as well.

Topic Author
SSM1
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by SSM1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:24 am

She plans to take 3 community classes, including some "easy" ones, and work 10-15 hrs/wk.
I agree with written rules that we work on together, knowing that things need to change for both of us. I am not comfortable with being way too strict on the food separation. But then she should contribute to shopping, some funds, cooking, cleaning, etc.
PS She did another art conference all weekend trying to sell her printed artwork, lots of work but apparently not successful. She is talented, but learning the hard way, school of hard knocks I guess.
Thanks again.

remomnyc
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by remomnyc » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:27 pm

College, and even CC, is not for everyone. Even if you can afford CC, it may be a waste of her time. I would say first meet with a specialist to review her disabilities and her abilities and discuss potential career paths before throwing time and money at CC. Let her move back in with firm rules and a plan that will lead to independence. I know too many "kids" who moved back home and have yet to move out or become self-sufficient 10 years later, and many of these have 4-yr degrees and now work part-time minimum wage jobs.

User avatar
Johnsson
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by Johnsson » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 am
1. "Teamwork" towards establishing, and following, a change in lifestyle and end term career/earning goal that includes:
a. Employment in a trade, certifiable skill, etc.
b. Education/training towards a certificate, degree, etc, with employment in a job that "needed that certification".
(vs random generic courses with no end game in mind. ie: cruising) Suggest: LPN certification, and so forth.
c. Part time work and contribution to the household expenses monetarily.
d. Lifestyle change that does not include; cruising, hanging out, a misdirected teenage lifestyle, and so forth.
e. Awareness that non productive patterns, conflict, substance abuse, etc, will result in having to move out.

*This can be a tremendous bonding experience that is productive for both of you, if done properly.

*Both read: "Life Code" by Dr. Phil, "Life Strategies" by Dr. Phil.

*Post a portfolio review (per forum guidelines and format) for comprehensive financial help and the option of not needing "financial advisors"/etc.

j :happy
THIS!!!!!!!

Especially 'Education/training towards a certificate, degree, etc, with employment in a job that "needed that certification".
(vs random generic courses with no end game in mind. ie: cruising) Suggest: LPN certification, and so forth.'

As other noted, too many end up with a Bachelors Degree at McDonald's.

Her dreams need to be aligned with a practical plan of action BEFORE moving in...

Topic Author
SSM1
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: adult child moving back

Post by SSM1 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Have neuropsych eval scheduled for early Feb (soonest appointment)
Signed up for 3 Classes at CC = creative writing, drawing, math are transferable.
Got her a new HP laptop for Christmas.
Counselor does not discourage romantic relationships, and spending (hair color, tatoos/piercings, "alternative"art conventions) - I think too much focus on appearance and maybe even victim role...venting here
Next need to work on agreements, escape plan B
Thanks

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22368
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: adult child moving back

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:56 pm

SSM1 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:47 pm
Have neuropsych eval scheduled for early Feb (soonest appointment)
Signed up for 3 Classes at CC = creative writing, drawing, math are transferable.
Got her a new HP laptop for Christmas.
Counselor does not discourage romantic relationships, and spending (hair color, tatoos/piercings, "alternative"art conventions) - I think too much focus on appearance and maybe even victim role...venting here
Next need to work on agreements, escape plan B
Thanks
Best of luck to both of you.

Post Reply