401K Rollover

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Llpt15

401K Rollover

Post by Llpt15 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:54 am

I am in the process of rolling over the biggest retirement savings of my life ($450K) into an IRA and I had been looking for the best place to put this. I am already investing in Vanguard with their managed account, however, I am not thoroughly pleased with their support so far. And I am not sure I want this to be managed. A lot of companies are now offering bonuses to as much as $1200 (I can combine IRAs to move to get to this level) to transfer to them but I want to know if there is a catch. I am looking for ideas on what is best to do with this critical move. I am a newbie in this Forum and thanks in advance.

Silk McCue

Re: 401K Rollover

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Welcome to Bogleheads!

I personally would not complicate my life by moving these funds to anyone other than VG since you already have an account there. It sounds like you may be using PAS services for your current holdings. If you aren't satisfied with their support I would discuss it with them to see if they can satisfy your needs. If not, leave the PAS program and handle your own investments.

Folks here can help you make that educational transition from existing resources on this site and then by providing feedback to you with your investment portfolio.

This is the first place I would recommend you spend some time getting a solid base level of knowledge that will allow you to manage your own accounts if you so desire.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Cheers

retired@50

Re: 401K Rollover

Post by retired@50 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:21 pm
Welcome to Bogleheads!

I personally would not complicate my life by moving these funds to anyone other than VG since you already have an account there. It sounds like you may be using PAS services for your current holdings. If you aren't satisfied with their support I would discuss it with them to see if they can satisfy your needs. If not, leave the PAS program and handle your own investments.

Folks here can help you make that educational transition from existing resources on this site and then by providing feedback to you with your investment portfolio.

This is the first place I would recommend you spend some time getting a solid base level of knowledge that will allow you to manage your own accounts if you so desire.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Cheers
+1. Best of luck.