Smart speakers for VOIP calls?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
4nursebee

Smart speakers for VOIP calls?

Post by 4nursebee » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:29 am

Can I use smart speakers such as a homepod, alexa, or google home to answer phone calls? We have google voice on our main computer, are getting a lot more calls. I need to get some kind of a microphone and/or speaker to answer calls, would consider such a device to make it easy. Does anyone else make VOIP calls from computer and what do you use?

What smart speaker do you prefer and why?
4nursebee

onourway

Re: Smart speakers for VOIP calls?

Post by onourway » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:07 am

We use a HomePod in the kitchen to make calls with our iPhones. Works great. You can tell it to make a call, tell it to answer an incoming call, and the sound is incredible. We have a large kitchen and I can walk anywhere and talk in a normal voice and callers seem to have no trouble hearing me.

Google Home devices also offer some version of this - we have it set up to make calls as an emergency calling system in case our kids ever needed it for some reason, but have never really used it.

That said, most people I know who are on the phone a lot for a living have switched to Apple AirPods which are also incredible and much more private.