Fort Meyers or south a bit in Feb advice please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cudavid

Fort Meyers or south a bit in Feb advice please

Post by cudavid » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi, New to West Coast Fl, we booked a deal on flights for a week in early February. Like beach or pool relaxing pool or? Not into night life. Have a few questions I would appreciate guidance on:
First, should we plan to drive an hour or so more southern to have better weather / beach or other options?
Have done Air B&B twice before, no issues, but open to suggestions? I will also look at hotel options but unsure of better locations to look / stay away from.
Thank you

BH rocks!

Gill

Re: Fort Meyers or south a bit in Feb advice please

Post by Gill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:37 pm

The weather in SW Florida can be pretty much of anything in early February. I've seen it in the 30's with rain, wind and cold and in the 80's with beautiful weather. The Gulf is usually much too cold for swimming although the joke around here is only the Canadians are in the water at that time of year. Gulf may very well be in the 60's. It does tend to be a bit warmer the farther South you go with Naples sometimes being 4-5 degrees warmer than Sarasota in the Winter months. Fort Myers and Naples as well as Marco Island usually have the best Winter weather in SW Florida.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Snowbird

Post by Snowbird » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Sanibel Island. It's about 40 mins from the Ft Myers airport. Lots of good restaurants and shopping. Ding Darling wildlife preserve. No hotels, just condos. Mostly on the beach. Easy to get around on foot or bicycle. Weather in Feb is usually pretty nice.

Not much night life for the younger crowd. They usually go to Ft Myers Beach.

Good luck.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm no expert on the area, but stayed a week with the family, covering potential future retirement places. We stayed at a Residence Inn. Why? Short drive to Ft Myers beach, short drive to Sanibel, short drive to Target, short drive to Applebees. No interest in night life or being totally secluded. We could walk to the gulf down a side street. We like Residence Inn anyways because of the large room setups, free, decent breakfast and consistent (Marriott) quality.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Snowbird wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm
Sanibel Island. It's about 40 mins from the Ft Myers airport. Lots of good restaurants and shopping. Ding Darling wildlife preserve. No hotels, just condos. Mostly on the beach. Easy to get around on foot or bicycle. Weather in Feb is usually pretty nice.

Not much night life for the younger crowd. They usually go to Ft Myers Beach.

Good luck.
Sanibel is good. Been there is February, which is after hurricane season.

One island further out is Captiva. The South Seas Resort has accommodations of many types. It isn't cheap, but it's expansive, serene, nice and has lots of diversions. The "world famous" Bubble Room is a cool restaurant right outside their gates.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:28 pm

cudavid wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm
Hi, New to West Coast Fl, we booked a deal on flights for a week in early February. Like beach or pool relaxing pool or? Not into night life. Have a few questions I would appreciate guidance on:
First, should we plan to drive an hour or so more southern to have better weather / beach or other options?
Have done Air B&B twice before, no issues, but open to suggestions? I will also look at hotel options but unsure of better locations to look / stay away from.
Thank you

BH rocks!
Average high in that area in Feb is in the low 70s - you've probably got a bit less than a 50/50 shot of having decent pool weather (not a bad chance, just not great). Going an hour south probably won't make much difference on the weather, so I wouldn't make that a differentiator.

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Snowbird wrote:
Sanibel Island. No hotels, just condos.
Yes, there are many hotels on Sanibel.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Key West is south of Fort Myers and significantly warmer. I see that you have already booked your flight. That is a pretty good drive from Fort Myers to Key West.

Like others have said, unless the dreaded cold front comes through on your dates in Fort Myers it could be pretty pleasant weather.
Last edited by Vanguard Fan 1367 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Have enjoyed some great February days in Cape Coral

Snowbird

Post by Snowbird » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Gill wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:17 pm
Snowbird wrote:
Gill
You may call them hotels. We who live here don't. There are no buildings over 3 stories. No nationally named hotel that I know of since Holiday Inn sold two years ago. Most all of the condos are along east/middle/west Gulf Drive and have units for sale and/or rent. I know of a couple that will rent for a minimum of 3 days. The rest rent weekly or monthly.

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Snowbird wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:37 pm
Gill wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:17 pm
Snowbird wrote:
Gill
You may call them hotels. We who live here don't. There are no buildings over 3 stories. No nationally named hotel that I know of since Holiday Inn sold two years ago. Most all of the condos are along east/middle/west Gulf Drive and have units for sale and/or rent. I know of a couple that will rent for a minimum of 3 days. The rest rent weekly or monthly.
I live here as well. I thought a hotel was simply an entity that rents multiple rooms. It doesn’t need a Holiday Inn sign to be a hotel.
Gill

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Gill wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:37 pm
The weather in SW Florida can be pretty much of anything in early February. I've seen it in the 30's with rain, wind and cold and in the 80's with beautiful weather. The Gulf is usually much too cold for swimming although the joke around here is only the Canadians are in the water at that time of year. Gulf may very well be in the 60's. It does tend to be a bit warmer the farther South you go with Naples sometimes being 4-5 degrees warmer than Sarasota in the Winter months. Fort Myers and Naples as well as Marco Island usually have the best Winter weather in SW Florida.
Gill
In January of 1977 it snowed in Miami, and in Tampa, where I lived at the time. I was the only fool who carefully drove into work that day, and was rewarded by having to stay! Fortunately I stayed off the interstate as the overpass bridges were icy. Lots of wrecks from native Floridians driving in very cold weather.

Pretty unlikely, though. Possible, yeah. Probable, nah.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Snowbird

Post by Snowbird » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:00 pm

I live here as well. I thought a hotel was simply an entity that rents multiple rooms. It doesn’t need a Holiday Inn sign to be a hotel.
Gill
Ok.

Do you play golf?

Snowbird

Post by Snowbird » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm

cudavid,

I didn't mean to imply there are no places to rent here. There are tons of places along the gulf from the lighthouse to almost Captiva. Not your typical one room with two beds and a bathroom though. Most are two bedrooms and one bath. Usually around 1000-1200 sqft. I must've looked at two dozen of them before I bought my house.There are a few three bedrooms but I found them to be difficult to find when we were renting.

Jim

jdb

Post by jdb » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:28 pm

Total digression but the name is Ft Myers, not Meyers, named
for Colonel Abraham Myers who probably never even visited the small fort built during the Seminole Wars. As further digression, Colonel Myers, who was descended from South Carolina rabbi and cantor, was Quartermaster General of Confederate Army during Civil War. Talk about thankless job. Enough digression. Nice enough city but boring in the summertime. Good luck.

Eric76

Post by Eric76 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:03 pm

I much prefer Naples to Ft. Myers.

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi from Venice, Florida. We're about 60 miles north of Fort Myers.

Anywhere along the west coast is nice in February.

Be careful of red tide. It has returned. You may want to avoid places that had it last year.