Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2016!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2016!

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the re-boot for the Awesome Retirement Graduation Class of 2016.

We're now up to 70 graduates :beer

Our youngest retiree is 35 (supalong52) 8-) and our oldest retiree is 72 (Lynette) :D

01 Jan - nonurseorpurse
10 Jan - Misenplace (56)
20 Jan - Arichcrook
31 Jan - informal guide (63)

04 Feb - vested1 (63)
12 Feb - MikeG62 (53) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
26 Feb - TedSwippet (55)
29 Feb - supalong52 (35)
29 Feb - cornellbuds

01 Mar - MP1233 (58)
15 Mar - Beth*
31 Mar - jimmd
31 Mar - Ace1
31 Mar - Joe Bladi-Blada (54)
31 Mar - baa_10 (55)

11 Apr - afauthentic (52)
01 Apr - dowse (64)
01 Apr - Bir48die
01 Apr - Merlin (58)
01 Apr - liberty53 (53)
07 Apr - mikeydavis (53)
30 Apr - mule (59)

xx May - retire57
xx May - Loon11 (66)
01 May - krmann
01 May - highercall (59)
01 May - Nicolas (63)
01 May - sergeant
02 May - Pixafari (58)
05 May - overwhelmed (64)
31 May - david_that_guy
31 May - Hawkeye5
31 May - freedom66 (50)
31 May - Brian 2016 (58)

02 Jun - WildBill
17 Jun - bowtie
24 Jun - victorb (62)
24 Jun - fourwaystreet (59)
30 Jun - Sagenick48

01 Jul - bap
01 Jul - MikeF14
01 Jul - Miriam2 (forever 21)
01 Jul - 2 bits (57)
04 Jul - Escape Velocity
05 Jul - NoNonsenseLandlord (56)
07 Jul - dwickenh (61)
29 Jul - invst65

08 Aug - Will do good
25 Aug - gips
31 Aug - GCD (51)
31 Aug - Pimmerman
31 Aug - Small Law Survivor (65)
31 Aug - StoneBob

23 Sep - silvertop

19 Oct - Lynette (72)
27 Oct - Flymore (60) <== Welcome to the Class!!
28 Oct - mscout (49)
31 Oct - hale2 (50)

05 Nov - Skeeter1 <<== Welcome to the Class!!
12 Nov - basspond

06 Dec - steve roy
06 Dec - mindboggling (63)
08 Dec - Suppertime
16 Dec - 22twain (62)
30 Dec - matjen
30 Dec - midvilterry
30 Dec - TimeRunner
31 Dec - Buster65
31 Dec - Dogbreath650
31 Dec - bcboy57

We're looking forward to more retirement progress reports 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

liberty53 wrote: I have been traveling, getting in shape (no more road warrior diet) and doing some volunteer work writing software. It has been pretty good so far.
I admit to being clueless - but what's a "road warrior diet?" You mean snacking on bags of potato chips while cruising down the highway to your next meeting? :wink:
liberty53

Post by liberty53 »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 pm
liberty53 wrote: I have been traveling, getting in shape (no more road warrior diet) and doing some volunteer work writing software. It has been pretty good so far.
I admit to being clueless - but what's a "road warrior diet?" You mean snacking on bags of potato chips while cruising down the highway to your next meeting? :wink:
Used to do quite a bit of business travel. When traveling you generally don't make the best food choices. Most of the time I ended up grabbing fast food during the day and restaurant dining with colleagues and customers in the evening. Dining out also usually included a few drinks. This is what I at least call the road warrior diet. It takes a terrible toll on the body (at least mine) especially because proper exercise tends to disappear too. Travel every other week for a while and one can end up a mess.
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

My last day was Oct 27th, 2016 at 60 years old. :D
So far so good.
Hard to believe it's been a year and a half. :shock:
cfs

Post by cfs »

Flymore wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:30 pm My last day was Oct 27th, 2016 at 60 years old. :D
So far so good.
Congratulations!

Another Retirement Class of 2016 Graduate!

Glad to see that you are having FUN in retirement!

Gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Retired on December 6, 2016 and then ...

Steamed through the South Pacific, visiting Australia (a week in Sydney), New Zealand, French Polynesia, and Hawaii. ...

And it was on to Hollywood, Florida for a final professional convention (there was a nice per diem), then a flight across the Atlantic for a few weeks in Switzerland and Italy.

In the Fall Mrs. Steve Roy and I attended the Bogleheads convention in Philly.

THIS YEAR, we've been prepping a Southern California house for sale, flying down from our new abode in Las Vegas, Nevada to do it. Just now we're servicing two mortgages, signing lots of checks for house rehab and watching money fly out the window. The house should be on the market in two weeks and with luck the place will be quickly sold and the drain on the family pocket book will come to an end.

We hope.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cfs wrote:
Flymore wrote: My last day was Oct 27th, 2016 at 60 years old. :D
So far so good.
Congratulations!
Gracias por leer ~cfs~
Cfs - Thank you for helping to keep the Retirement Roll Calls up and running, in between your many retirement travels and exciting adventures! Your warm welcomes and cheerful retirement messages are delightful for everyone :D
cfs

Post by cfs »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm
cfs wrote:
Flymore wrote: My last day was Oct 27th, 2016 at 60 years old. :D
So far so good.
Congratulations!
Gracias por leer ~cfs~
Cfs - Thank you for helping to keep the Retirement Roll Calls up and running, in between your many retirement travels and exciting adventures! Your warm welcomes and cheerful retirement messages are delightful for everyone :D
Thanks to our shipmate Miriam for the note, and for anyone planning to join The Active Retired Force, before I retired I prepared and signed a "cfs contract with cfs" [a three-liner, just like The Three Fund Portfolio, very simple], and I carry a copy in my wallet:

-- I will stay mentally active.
-- I will stay physically active.
-- I will have FUN.

Shipmates, that's all it take to have a successful retirement [well, at least on my side of the house]. Wishing all members of The Active Retired Force a productive retirement, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

steve roy wrote: Retired on December 6, 2016 and then ...
Steamed through the South Pacific, visiting Australia (a week in Sydney), New Zealand, French Polynesia, and Hawaii. ...
And it was on to Hollywood, Florida for a final professional convention (there was a nice per diem), then a flight across the Atlantic for a few weeks in Switzerland and Italy.

In the Fall Mrs. Steve Roy and I attended the Bogleheads convention in Philly.

THIS YEAR, we've been prepping a Southern California house for sale, flying down from our new abode in Las Vegas, Nevada to do it. Just now we're servicing two mortgages, signing lots of checks for house rehab and watching money fly out the window. The house should be on the market in two weeks and with luck the place will be quickly sold and the drain on the family pocket book will come to an end.

We hope.
Thank you for the retirement report! Fun travels, a Bogleheads Conference, nice ways to begin a fabulous new life 8-)
Is this what the joys of home ownership look like? :wink:

cfs

Post by cfs »

Retirement Class of 2016, any updates, any stories and reports to share with prospective retirees? Gracias por leer ~cfs~
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

cfs wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 pm Retirement Class of 2016, any updates, any stories and reports to share with prospective retirees? Gracias por leer ~cfs~
I went back to work part time. So I guess I have to remove my name from the list. I don't even think of my status using the retired/non-retired nomenclature anymore. I just do stuff now: some paid, some unpaid.
cfs

Post by cfs »

supalong52 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:35 pm
cfs wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 pm Retirement Class of 2016, any updates, any stories and reports to share with prospective retirees? Gracias por leer ~cfs~
I went back to work part time. So I guess I have to remove my name from the list. I don't even think of my status using the retired/non-retired nomenclature anymore. I just do stuff now: some paid, some unpaid.
Thanks for the update! Retired, working part-time, working for pay, working for no-pay, you are enjoying life and that's what counts. Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

Wow!, it has been over two years since I pulled the pin. I almost went back to work when the police union requested that I return as a part-time person to head the union but I had no interest.

I volunteer some at church, spend several hours every day walking, lifting, yoga, and biking. My health has improved with the huge reduction in stress and not wearing the duty belt and ballistic vest.

My house is about perfect since I have had ample time to fix everything and garden. My wife is still working so I do all the shopping, laundry, cooking , and cleaning. She loves it!

I meet different LE friends for lunch once or twice a week.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sergeant, what a nice update! Thanks for sharing!
sergeant wrote: Wow!, it has been over two years since I pulled the pin. I almost went back to work when the police union requested that I return as a part-time person to head the union but I had no interest.
I volunteer some at church, spend several hours every day walking, lifting, yoga, and biking. My health has improved with the huge reduction in stress and not wearing the duty belt and ballistic vest.
Nice honor from the police union, but as our Boglehead friend Cfs says, "You are now a member of the Retired Active Force." :happy

Good news about your activities and improved health - retirement has many upsides with the change of lifestyle. Good things come with that huge reduction in stress. :happy
My house is about perfect since I have had ample time to fix everything and garden. My wife is still working so I do all the shopping, laundry, cooking , and cleaning. She loves it!
Lucky wife! I'm sending you my address - house needs fixing, garden needs fertilizing, and we'll eat whatever you cook :D
I meet different LE friends for lunch once or twice a week.
Must be fun! When with your old friends, remember the old saying: "Anything worth saying is worth repeating a thousand times." :mrgreen:
cfs

Post by cfs »

Mister Sarge, thanks for your service, and thanks for the update. Concur with Miss Miriam, this is a GREAT update. I just love this: "My health has improved . . ." Hello, prospective retirees, is anyone listening? Again, thanks for the update and I look forward to updates from members of the retirement class (all of them). Let me say it again, retirement is great, life is wonderful. Gracias por leer ~cfs~
basspond

Post by basspond »

I was lucky to retire a month before my dad passed away. I was able to help my mom out a lot during his last days and to help with death issues including form 706 (wishful thinking). Staying busy with volunteer work and hobbies. Found out that healthy cooking takes more time then I realized. Still have many items on my to do list, but hey there is tomorrow. Life is great. I still don't understand how I was able to work and get the things done that needed to be done around the house. And this was my 1k post. Hope I haven't steered people wrong.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

basspond wrote: I was lucky to retire a month before my dad passed away. I was able to help my mom out a lot during his last days and to help with death issues including form 706 (wishful thinking). Staying busy with volunteer work and hobbies. Found out that healthy cooking takes more time than I realized.
Basspond, thank you for your Retirement Update!

Ah yes, "healthy cooking takes more time than I realized." Isn't that the truth, slice and dice all those veggies, peel all that fruit, clean and de-bone the fish, peel potatoes, whisk oil & vinegar - maybe it's time for The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker :D Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads
Still have many items on my to do list, but hey there is tomorrow. Life is great. I still don't understand how I was able to work and get the things done that needed to be done around the house. And this was my 1k post. Hope I haven't steered people wrong.
So many retirees have the same view of retirement time - how were we able to work and get the things done that needed to be done around the house? Maybe we didn't get things done around the house. It all piled up, we shoved it under the beds and stuffed it into the garage and repaired everything with duct tape :mrgreen:
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

I have an update! Since retiring I have been attending many more MLB games of our "local" team. I figured why not get paid to attend games so applied for a job as a parking attendant and submitted my resume. HR gave me a call and said the security director would like to interview me for a position, not related to parking. The interview went well and the job met my requirements of being fun so I start soon. Wish me luck! Hope all from the Class of 2016 are doing well.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Must have missed this one long ago.

Retired on February 12, 2016 at age 53. DW was SAHM. Never been happier.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sergeant wrote: I have an update! Since retiring I have been attending many more MLB games of our "local" team. I figured why not get paid to attend games so applied for a job as a parking attendant and submitted my resume. HR gave me a call and said the security director would like to interview me for a position, not related to parking. The interview went well and the job met my requirements of being fun so I start soon. Wish me luck! Hope all from the Class of 2016 are doing well.
What a super update! Hope you're still enjoying your new retirement adventure.

That's fun, you apply for a job as a parking attendant and end up the security guy :D My son once applied for a job while in college for an IT position at a large amphitheater. He arrived for the interview in his suit & tie, shoes polished, his resume of IT and sound & lighting equipment experience. The interview people looked at him and kindly said, "You know, don't you, that this position is for a broom sweeper." :mrgreen:
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MikeG62 wrote: Must have missed this one long ago.

Retired on February 12, 2016 at age 53. DW was SAHM. Never been happier.
02 Feb - MikeG62 (53) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Never too late to join this Awesome Retirement Roll Call! You were probably so excited about punching out and entering the next happy phase of your life. :D What have you been doing with your freedom?
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

Please add me to the Awesome Class of 2016, since November 5th, which was my birthday present to myself. :D
I am writing this from a river cruise on the Seine, which is currently in Paris.
Congratulations to all of this great class. Cheers :beer
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Skeeter1 wrote: Please add me to the Awesome Class of 2016, since November 5th, which was my birthday present to myself. :D
05 Nov - Skeeter1 <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Ok Skeeter1, you're added to this Awesome Class, and what an awesome birthday present you gave yourself!
Skeeter1 wrote:I am writing this from a river cruise on the Seine, which is currently in Paris.
Happy to hear you're enjoying your retirement river cruise over there across the pond in elegant Paris - and we have duly noted that you skipped out of town just before yet another hurricane was making its way to tropical paradise - looks like you found the perfect place to hole up :wink:

Best wishes for a long, exciting retirement, and keep us posted on your adventures 8-)
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

I appreciate the warm welcome :happy
All the best to all.
Glenn
avei

Post by avei »

Retired July 31, age 62. That didn't last long. I got a letter in the mail asking if I wanted to fly after a lifetime of working on the ground. So I called and asked if it was a joke since the FAA has a mandatory airline pilot retirement of 65 and I was then 30 months from turning into a pumpkin. No joke. I was hired. An office at 35000 feet has a better view than my old one. So do I join this one or the 2020 Class? Or both?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

avei wrote: Retired July 31, age 62. That didn't last long. I got a letter in the mail asking if I wanted to fly after a lifetime of working on the ground. So I called and asked if it was a joke since the FAA has a mandatory airline pilot retirement of 65 and I was then 30 months from turning into a pumpkin. No joke. I was hired.
Avei! Congratulations on retiring and re-hiring. No problem with flying pumpkins 8-)
avei wrote:An office at 35000 feet has a better view than my old one. So do I join this one or the 2020 Class? Or both?
Well, now we're back into the retirement conundrum - when have we retired ???

The Retirement Roll Call uses our founding mother Lady Victoria's definition of "retirement" = there is no strict definition :D

According to the Lady, a Boglehead's inclusion in the Roll Call is based on self-reporting.

In other words, if you feel you are retired, even though you are still busy, doing temporary work, training your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position, engaged in easy work or a hobby, paid or unpaid or underpaid - when you feel you have punched out of the rat race - then you are retired :D

So let us know, when you're up in your office at 35000 feet, with your fabulous view of this great earth below and the infinite blue sky above and around, whether you're joining the Class of 2016 or 2020, or - being a flying pumpkin - both :wink:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.