Intra Family Loan tax consequences

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MrMojoRisin

Intra Family Loan tax consequences

Post by MrMojoRisin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 am

My brother is having a new central HVAC system installed in his house. He wanted to get a HELOC but due to the condition of his roof (money set aside for that already) the bank would not approve him.

He can get a loan to cover the cost of the system but the rate would be 6-7%.

Our mother has offered to loan him the amount at 3%. We have done intra family loans in the past and they have been just fine, everyone gets paid, no Jerry Spinger episodes were filmed.

The way the loan will work is I will pay the contractor upon completion of the install using my credit cards. I will then get a bank draft from our mother to pay off the credit cards. Wife and I have been using CC points reward system for some time and it has worked well for us.

The amount of the loan is $11,750.00, at 3% for 5 years.

Will the shuffle of these funds through my credit union and credit cards be an issue on our MAGI?

Regards,

Mr. MoJoRisin....

fabdog

Re: Intra Family Loan tax consequences

Post by fabdog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:24 am

nope, just the interest payments need to be reflected to whoever is holding the loan, sounds like your mother will need to add those to her taxes

Mike

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:50 am

The interest rate charged must comply with IRS regulations. 3% is above the minimum that can be charged, so you're good, with Mom declaring the interest as income.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
MrMojoRisin

Post by MrMojoRisin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks for the replies...

To be more specific, will the points awarded by my credit cards be considered taxable income?

Best wishes

Gill

Post by Gill » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 am

MrMojoRisin wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 am
Thanks for the replies...

To be more specific, will the points awarded by my credit cards be considered taxable income?

Best wishes
No.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 am

The applicable federal rate (AFR) for >= 3 year -> < 9 years is 1.20% for November 2019. Anything >= this rate is fine.