Saving seats on Southwest

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

Saving seats on Southwest

Post by squirm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Just had a flight on Southwest, seems like half the people who were on the plane were saving their seats. I admit, I don't fly Southwest often, but my family and I just took a flight. I bought the earlybird for all of us. When we boarded people were saying "sorry this seat is saved". What's the point of buying earlybird? Are they being cheapskates and just buying one earlybird and saving the row for their friends/family? Is that the boglehead thing to do?

RickBoglehead

Re: Saving seats on Southwest

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 pm

They have no right to save anything. Feel free to say "sorry, or Flight Attendant".
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm

If you're earlybird, how are there not any empty rows?

Why would you want to sit in a row with someone already there, instead of one of the empty rows?

My wife and I don't use earlybird, but whoever gets on the plane first always saves a seat for the other (or the entire row if our kid is with us).

If you can get A-x or even high B-x, there's always still empty rows to choose from.

Weird that you don't have any empty rows as a earlybird.
The J stands for Jay

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:55 pm

I fly frequently and usually board A15. When I travel with my wife and kids, I will save seats. When people see my seats save, they ask me if they can sit there. I say "My family is traveling with me and I'd like them to sit there." I have never had a problem with people choosing other seats.

If you are upset that other people want to sit together and are saving a seat, stand up for yourself and ask them to remove their bags so you can sit there, and if they don't, call a flight attendant and ask them to adjudicate.

Life is short - is this the biggest problem you have to worry about?

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:55 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Why would you want to sit in a row with someone already there, instead of one of the empty rows?

My wife and I don't use earlybird, but whoever gets on the plane first always saves a seat for the other (or the entire row if our kid is with us).

If you can get A-x or even high B-x, there's always still empty rows to choose from.

We did get empty rows. I was referring to what I saw when others got on board and what's the point of buying early bird for my whole family???? I thought that was the right thing to do. Did I get ripped off buying four earlybirds?

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:58 pm

The seating cattle call is why I almost never fly SW. I travel 50% so sometimes I have no choice. What I found, especially boarding late, was that just taking the middle seat in the front of the plane almost always gets you an aisle or window. The reason is because the two people already sitting there (acting like they dont know each other) really are traveling together, and when you sit in the middle, they will always ask if you want one of their seats because they want to sit together. It is comical actually. I love doing it. Never once have I ever got stuck in the middle seat in the front.

Oh, and on the question at hand. I would just smile and take the seat. Put my headphone on and be done with it. There aren't any saved seats on that horrible airline.
Last edited by anonsdca on Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 pm

squirm wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:55 pm
HomerJ wrote:

We did get empty rows. I was referring to what I saw when others got on board and what's the point of buying early bird for my whole family???? I thought that was the right thing to do. Did I get ripped off buying four earlybirds?
Yeah probably. I guess it would make more sense (but be unfair) to just buy one and save seats. Although I'd think you'd have to buy two earlybird seats... One person saving 4 seats (a row plus one) is a bit much even for my sensibilities.

Maybe Southwest should get rid of their silly seating system. Pretty easy to assign seats these days with computers.
The J stands for Jay

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 pm

squirm wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

Yikes, based on what NewMoney posted, sounds like you did.

stlrick

Post by stlrick » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:02 pm

If you use the "saving seats" strategy, you may be able to cordially save the seats, but you won't be able to save space in the overhead bins. What if the rest of the family arrives and there is no room overhead? I ask myself if I would buy the tickets if the early bird price was included in the ticket price, and the answer is always yes. For me, it's just part of flying Southwest.

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:06 pm

NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote:
I fly frequently and usually board A15. When I travel with my wife and kids, I will save seats. When people see my seats save, they ask me if they can sit there. I say "My family is traveling with me and I'd like them to sit there." I have never had a problem with people choosing other seats.

If you are upset that other people want to sit together and are saving a seat, stand up for yourself and ask them to remove their bags so you can sit there, and if they don't, call a flight attendant and ask them to adjudicate.

Umm, yeah, I've been up for days worrying about this.
I've seen a lot of useless questions posted here, so fits right in.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 pm

This is one of those classic topics that generates a lot of anger on the internet that doesn't translate to real life.

I fly SW a fair amount and I can't say that I've ever seen visible seat saving. SW has "family boarding" between the A&B boarding groups. Seems like the logical time for families to board, and that is in fact when most do unless EB was purchased for the entire family. Always plenty of open rows at that point (albeit not at the front of the plane).

In the family situation, I don't see EB as a wise purchase since you are essentially guaranteed a B1 boarding position.

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:11 pm

stlutz wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 pm
This is one of those classic topics that generates a lot of anger on the internet that doesn't translate to real life.

I fly SW a fair amount and I can't say that I've ever seen visible seat saving. SW has "family boarding" between the A&B boarding groups. Seems like the logical time for families to board, and that is in fact when most do unless EB was purchased for the entire family. Always plenty of open rows at that point (albeit not at the front of the plane).

In the family situation, I don't see EB as a wise purchase since you are essentially guaranteed a B1 boarding position.
I think that's only for 6 and under, so beneficial for some, but not adolescents...

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlin ... rimination

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:17 pm

For a fee of $15-$25/pp one way, I’d just pay the early bird fee for all to be assured of getting seats together and overhead bin storage.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:23 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:17 pm
For a fee of $15-$25/pp one way, I’d just pay the early bird fee for all to be assured of getting seats together and overhead bin storage.
Shhh, too many people are doing just that.

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:26 pm

stlutz wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 pm

I fly SW a fair amount and I can't say that I've ever seen visible seat saving.
Geez, I saw it a lot on this one flight. Some guy with his kid asked the [woman --admin LadyGeek] seated behind us if the seats were saved, she said yes. He mumbled something and continued.

cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Just Flew SWA.. very nice airline with great fares, no change fees, and you get to check two bags for free.
The seat pitch is also reasonable for people who are 6 feet tall. Free movies and Free TV and they served me a beer on the way home and did not charge for it. Great Airline.

People saving seats are just being somewhat selfish and ignorant...but that kind of behavior is now so common that you need to ignore it and move on with life. I view this as a 1 problem on the scale of life's problems 10 is worst.

Here's an excellent book that may help you feel better

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William B. Irvine

Highly recommend that book.. still recall an instance where a Floridian was screaming obscenities at me for some offense I committed on Sunday Morning in line for gas at Costco..(he wanted to go first I think) I played the Stoic.. and was quite deaf to his complaints.. my blood pressure went up a little, but... his was through the roof for my lack of response or acknowledgement that he even existed.

Funny how that worked.

Life is short, then you die.

Best of luck.

CPU
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for Lunch. | Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:41 pm

squirm wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:06 pm
Yes, I can't believe some of the dismissive responses. This a board where people freak out over tiny percentage differences in CDs.

SWA is the official airline of cheapskates. I've been unlucky enough to fly with them, and have seen the seat-saving phenomenon. Maybe SWA is not as well run as it likes to think it is if people realize they can get earlybird benefits without paying for them.

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:52 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:41 pm
squirm wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:06 pm
Yes, I can't believe some of the dismissive responses. This a board where people freak out over tiny percentage differences in CDs.

SWA is the official airline of cheapskates. I've been unlucky enough to fly with them, and have seen the seat-saving phenomenon. Maybe SWA is not as well run as it likes to think it is if people realize they can get earlybird benefits without paying for them.
Yeah, it's called doing the right thing - I'll continue to purchase earlybirds for all of us. It's the right thing and I doubt SW intended people to abuse the system. We're not starving either.

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:41 pm
SWA is the official airline of cheapskates.
I fly Frontier. Much, much cheaper than SWA. Not sure what that makes me. A boglehead? I’d fly Spirit—which I hear is cheaper—but even I have standards. You can pick your seats on Frontier too. They are hard as a brick, or about as hard as my head, but I never have a problem with finding the seat I want (the one I bought) no matter when I get on.

OP, try Frontier next time unless the flight is longer than 2 hours or you don’t mind not having any feeling in your backside for awhile.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:34 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 pm
They have no right to save anything. Feel free to say "sorry, or Flight Attendant".
+1

From their own website "We have an open seating policy, so feel free to sit in any available seat when you get onboard".

That said, I have switched seats with family members so they can sit together on this airline and others. Maybe it's me but it's different if you're asked and not told. Are there any flight attendants that can chime in?
Last edited by SquawkIdent on Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:38 pm

There is very little courtesy or honor anymore. An airport and airplane behavior is at the forefront of this. This behavior is how people become. Otherwise good people will and do stoop as low as possible to get what they want if they think they can do it.
Everyone has an excuse. It is up to the rest of us to keep our heads down. In fact, this is what they count on. The first step is their disregard for courtesy and the second is the ability of society to shame you for saying anything. You can see this on several posts here.
Whether or not SW seating method is a good idea is neither here nor there. We all know what it is and the rules.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:25 pm

I don't fly SW anymore mainly due to their stupid seating policy and the scumbag morally defunct flyers who think saving seats is ok even when blatantly against the rules.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 pm

I highly enjoy Southwest and choose it for my work travel, in part because of the seating setup. The flights I am taking are also mostly "business" - ie early morning or late evening flights on Sunday and Friday, so there are few couples and families.

I can get much better seats on SW (never paid for early bird) than on other airlines, because I'm rewarded with seat choice for checking in promptly rather than for buying far in advance or paying more for my seat.

Because I'm mostly not flying with families, I see very little seat saving on board the plane. I have noticed at some airports (but not others) people try to hold spots in the boarding line out of order with their passes. This includes people traveling alone who just don't want to wait. I usually just ask them what their number is and step to the right spot.

Every so often someone will be rude about it. Every so often the gate attendant will throw someone out of line who tries to board in the wrong group. I try not to get too aggravated about it. After all, everyone boarding is going to be stuck in an uncomfortable seat in a loud metal tube.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:05 pm

I buy Earlybird for the whole family. That way I know we'll be sitting together. I've seen some idiots saving seats, but haven't seen anybody get bent out of shape about it.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:22 pm

I used to fly SW rather frequently, often for work. Once I was boarding, maybe in C group, and continued down aisle looking for a window seat. Almost to the back of the plane I found one! I plopped myself into the seat and congratulated myself on my good luck . (The view of the mountains on the way home was always a treat.)

A few minutes later a man comes to the row and complains that I am sitting in HIS seat. Apparently, he needed to use the restroom and had saved his seat by placing his tiny pair of wire-frame glasses on the seat, the seat where I had PLOPPED down. I lifted my behind and saw his glasses in the gap between the seat and back. I muttered something to myself about who would even think to put their almost invisible glasses on an otherwise empty seat and moved to the aisle seat. I never checked with him to find out what condition his glasses were in.

Saving seats can be dangerous to your welfare.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:28 pm

HomerJ wrote:

+1000

I flew on Southwest several times this fall and as long as you were in the low "B" group you had plenty of empty rows to choose from.

At least once after we had chosen our seats my wife decided to use the restroom before the plane took off so she was already on the plane so that is another possibility.

Another possibility is that if there were plenty of empty rows and you were trying to do something ike sit in the middle seat next to a single woman then she might have felt uncomfortable and said that the seat was taken to divert you.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:32 pm

We used to fly Southwest at least once a year, despite having no direct flights, because we could a) check our skis as luggage and b) never pay for baggage. As they kept changing their policies, our interest dwindled. I can't tell you the last time that we've flown them.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:44 pm

I paid for Early Bird seating on a round trip last month. B40/41, and C5/6. Not many empty seats, I regretted paying extra for that and would not have been sympathetic to seat savers.

canderson

Post by canderson » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:11 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:44 pm
I paid for Early Bird seating on a round trip last month. B40/41, and C5/6. Not many empty seats, I regretted paying extra for that and would not have been sympathetic to seat savers.
If you paid for EB, it didn’t work and you should call to request a refund. EB will not give you C5, ever, even out of MCO on a Sunday morning.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:39 pm

How about the couples that choose the two aisle seats across from each other, hogging both 3 seat groups?

grandmacassie

Post by grandmacassie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:45 pm

I MUST relate this true story.
Last spring we flew SW from Balto to Phoenix. We rarely fly SW, so we were in group 3. As we boarded, I noticed 2 nice bulkhead seats in a three-seat row, with a guy seated on the aisle. I asked the flight attendant if we could sit anywhere, and she said "anywhere there is an open seat" but the guy on the aisle said he was saving them. FA overheard this (after all it was the front of the plane) and said, no, that we could sit there. So we did. Aisle guy said he was saving those seats for his wife and kid, who were in the back. Huh? Anyway, I resolved that we would change seats and accommodate the family if one showed up, but I didn't tell aisle guy that.

Then aisle guy said to me "My kid always wants to be near me, so he'll be screaming if he can't sit there". Ooookay!. So on and on the boarding goes and finally 2 dudes who are obviously aisle guy's buddies pass by, making bro noises to aisle guy as they walked back to their seats. Oddly enough, no wife or child showed up! Busted!! I chuckled all the way to Phoenix.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:39 pm
How about the couples that choose the two aisle seats across from each other, hogging both 3 seat groups?
What's wrong with that? It's open seating. If they both like aisles, they should do exactly this.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:51 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 pm
rkhusky wrote:
What's wrong with that? It's open seating. If they both like aisles, they should do exactly this.
Same as the rudeness of saving seats or choosing the aisle and window, hoping no one sits in the middles. Or buying basic fare and then asking people who paid main cabin fare to switch with you.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:53 pm

This is an age-old debate among frequent travelers.
People can save seats on WN, which you should view as more of a strong request.
You can override them and sit there anyway.
You can then save the middle beside you by crumpling up some tissues and putting them on your tray table, coughing, and avoiding eye contact. :sharebeer

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:54 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Spouse and I book aisle seats across from each other all the time as we both prefer the aisle. Our consciences are clear. :D

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
+1. I'm OK with this. Not even sure what the problem is.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:58 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm
Bfwolf wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
+1. I'm OK with this. Not even sure what the problem is.
there is no problem. They both bought tickets and both prefer aisle seats. They don't owe any other passengers anything.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:59 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:54 pm
rkhusky wrote:
Spouse and I book aisle seats across from each other all the time as we both prefer the aisle. Our consciences are clear. :D
Booking is different than taking on SWA.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:00 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:58 pm
there is no problem. They both bought tickets and both prefer aisle seats. They don't owe any other passengers anything.
Neither do the parents that don't control their kids or try to comfort their crying babies. Or those that bring smelly food on the plane. Or those that talk loudly on their cell phones.

stlrick

Post by stlrick » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:00 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:51 pm
Bfwolf wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
Same as the rudeness of saving seats or choosing the aisle and window, hoping no one sits in the middles. Or buying basic fare and then asking people who paid main cabin fare to switch with you.

I beg your pardon. My wife and I do this, and have always done it. When we fly on airlines that allow seat selection, we do the same. I am not interfering with anyone else's choices. We are not hoping someone does not sit next to us. We expect a couple to take the middle and window, and we are happy to get up whenever they want to use the restroom. Since we would not do the window/aisle trick, I see no reason why I should sit in a middle seat because I am traveling with someone else. I don't tip my seat back, I don't hold seats, but I pay for early boarding and we both like aisle seats.

Chuck5781

Post by Chuck5781 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 pm

I fly Southwest frequently, as well as others occasionally, and find it to be the most efficient and best run airline available to me.

Dependable, predictable, and inexpensive are all accurate in my experience. They make it easy to change flights, and I check bags without those nasty fees.

I have seen individuals save seats, and it is annoying, but so are many other quirks of travel. On a scale of 0 - 10, 0 being the least impactful, 10 being the worst, I will give saving seats around a .25
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:06 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:00 pm
8foot7 wrote:
Neither do the parents that don't control their kids or try to comfort their crying babies. Or those that bring smelly food on the plane. Or those that talk loudly on their cell phones.
This a general rant about the joys of air travel. OP had a specific issue unrelated to the issues you raised.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:07 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:59 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
True but I’d do it on SWA too.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:08 pm

rkhusky wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
Holy moving goalposts, Batman.

stlrick

Post by stlrick » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:12 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:08 pm
rkhusky wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
Holy moving goalposts, Batman.
yes, also known as a false analogy.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:16 pm

squirm wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Just had a flight on Southwest, seems like half the people who were on the plane were saving their seats. I admit, I don't fly Southwest often, but my family and I just took a flight. I bought the earlybird for all of us. When we boarded people were saying "sorry this seat is saved". What's the point of buying earlybird? Are they being cheapskates and just buying one earlybird and saving the row for their friends/family? Is that the boglehead thing to do?
Southwest has open seating. I always tell anyone that tells me that they do not understand the Southwest seating policy and we seat wherever there is availability.

Also, I never move when someone asks.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:18 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:51 pm
Bfwolf wrote:
rkhusky wrote:

I don’t fly on Southwest, but when my wife and I fly together in coach, we generally book aisle seats (across the aisle from each other), as it’s more comfortable. Not clear to me why two passengers on Southwest can’t do the same. You’re not suggesting they made the other seats unavailable, are you?

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:22 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:59 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
No, it isn’t. You are assuming that since you can’t choose your seat on SWA until boarding, then your choice of seats should thus be subordinated to the choices of all other passengers on the flight. The act of choosing two aisle seats is actually the same either way, with only a timing difference (at the time of booking on other airlines, or upon boarding at SWA). If you are ok with “booking” two aisle seats, then you should thus be ok with selecting two available aisle seats upon boarding. Otherwise, you should be upset with this practice on other airlines as well, as other parties of three may have been prevented from booking their seats together on those flights as well.

FWIW, I fly Southwest all the time and much prefer them to any other airline.

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:16 pm
squirm wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Southwest has open seating. I always tell anyone that tells me that they do not understand the Southwest seating policy and we seat wherever there is availability.

Also, I never move when someone asks.
I'm asking about saving seats vs early bird. I think everyone gets that Southwest has open seating.

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:26 pm

It's unfortunate that the discussion has become somewhat contentious.

I think there are two sides to the courtesy argument. One is that families shouldn't save seats for travel partners for which they aren't entitled.

The other is that people could go out of their way to allow families to sit together. Both points of view have merit.

Somewhat related, frequently the flight attendants will ask people to move so families can sit together, so the concept is not entirely verboten.