Website for Honeywell Thermostat parts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Website for Honeywell Thermostat parts?

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hi BH's:

Does anyone know of a good website to shop for replacement parts for an older Honeywell thermostat?

Honeywell's website no longer carries the part I need (nor does Repair Clinic website). I've seen several Honeywell thermostats on Ebay but it's for the entire unit, not just parts. I have the part number but no luck just searching the web so far. The part is more cosmetic but something I would like fixed.

I will eventually upgrade to a newer model but want to wait until I replace the furnace and/or A/C.

Thanks for any suggestions. :happy
RickBoglehead

Re: Website for Honeywell Thermostat parts?

Post by RickBoglehead »

Repair Clinic has nearly everything, so if they don't have it, and you don't find it via Google, then you're likely OOL.

Just as an FYI, many utilities offer rebates to upgrade to a WiFi thermostat. Several years ago I put in two new WiFi thermostats, spending $95 each, and getting $100 each back from my utility. This year I put a WiFi thermostat in our cottage (different utility), spending $75, and getting back $70.

You may want to check, it may be worth upgrading your thermostat now.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:43 pm Repair Clinic has nearly everything, so if they don't have it, and you don't find it via Google, then you're likely OOL.

Just as an FYI, many utilities offer rebates to upgrade to a WiFi thermostat. Several years ago I put in two new WiFi thermostats, spending $95 each, and getting $100 each back from my utility. This year I put a WiFi thermostat in our cottage (different utility), spending $75, and getting back $70.

Great advice! I will have to check with my local utility. The HVAC person wanted to charge me a small fortune this year just for a new thermostat so I declined (~3x of what it cost on Amazon). Thanks! :)
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

I basic thermostat can be had for $50. Why mess around? Thermostats requirements for most std systems is pretty generic.

The only concern is whether there is a wire with 24v as a source on it. Really old systems may not have a wire for that to the thermostat. Generally, a 4 wire cable to the thermostat does not have dedicated 24V, whereas 5 wire (or more) cable generally do. If no 24v, you need a battery operated thermostat.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

If you are talking about a thermostat that goes on the wall of your living room, then replace it yourself.
$26 will get you a programmable one.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:47 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:43 pm Repair Clinic has nearly everything, so if they don't have it, and you don't find it via Google, then you're likely OOL.

Great advice! I will have to check with my local utility. The HVAC person wanted to charge me a small fortune this year just for a new thermostat so I declined (~3x of what it cost on Amazon). Thanks! :)
Their website should have it. Or, look under the state's site, and they may link back. "Maine Utility Rebates"
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:23 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Their website should have it. Or, look under the state's site, and they may link back. "Maine Utility Rebates"
Thanks! I checked and there are a few models with my utility. I will have to look into installation costs unless it is extremely easy to replace (not very mechanical). :?
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Just a guess...but if you could figure out what part of the thermostat failed and you actually did find a place to get that part....I would still bet that it is much easier to replace the thermostat than to try to repair an old one. If you can get a rebate from your utility company it should be a "no brainer" on which route to go.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Type in "Honeywell Thermostat Parts" in you web browser's search bar. You'll get enough hits to keep you busy for hours.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:12 pm If you are talking about a thermostat that goes on the wall of your living room, then replace it yourself.
Yes, this is it. The costs are low enough that it makes sense to replace it (and utility offers a rebate on a couple models). I then just need to figure out how to install it myself but I found some good Youtube videos that should help me hopefully.

I'm looking at one option that is an Emerson model (good Amazon reviews). I assume it should work regardless of what brand of furnace/AC unit I have (?).

Thanks.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:33 pm
Bogle7 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:12 pm If you are talking about a thermostat that goes on the wall of your living room, then replace it yourself.
Yes, this is it. The costs are low enough that it makes sense to replace it (and utility offers a rebate on a couple models). I then just need to figure out how to install it myself but I found some good Youtube videos that should help me hopefully.

I'm looking at one option that is an Emerson model (good Amazon reviews). I assume it should work regardless of what brand of furnace/AC unit I have (?).

Thanks.
I have 3 Emerson (Honeywell) WiFi thermostats. Like them a lot. You use the Sensi app to control them. Some models don't require a C wire, some models do require a C wire. The app leads you through the install, so you could easily use the app BEFORE BUYING to verify that you have the proper wiring for the thermostat you are considering. The first two I installed did not require a C wire (UP500W), the most recent one did require one (ST55). There are identical in appearance.

Note that Amazon has a 20% off coupon for the ST55, making it around $70.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks.
I have 3 Emerson (Honeywell) WiFi thermostats. Like them a lot. You use the Sensi app to control them. Some models don't require a C wire, some models do require a C wire. The app leads you through the install, so you could easily use the app BEFORE BUYING to verify that you have the proper wiring for the thermostat you are considering. The first two I installed did not require a C wire (UP500W), the most recent one did require one (ST55). There are identical in appearance.

Thanks! My utility is offering a rebate on this one which is the one you mentioned with the coupon I think:

https://sensi.emerson.com/en-us/shop/se ... i-sku-st55

One of the Youtube videos I saw discusses the various wires; will have to study that.

I did read a couple negative reviews on Amazon that said their Sensi wifi would have to be manually rebooted if they had even a short power outage.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Thanks.

Thanks! My utility is offering a rebate on this one which is the one you mentioned with the coupon I think:

One of the Youtube videos I saw discusses the various wires; will have to study that.

I did read a couple negative reviews on Amazon that said their Sensi wifi would have to be manually rebooted if they had even a short power outage.
Ignore YouTube videos. Use the Sensi app to guide you through install. It will have you put inmyour wire setup and tell you what to do.

I think I had to reboot mine once in 3 1/2 years.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:41 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Thanks.

Ignore YouTube videos. Use the Sensi app to guide you through install. It will have you put inmyour wire setup and tell you what to do.

I think I had to reboot mine once in 3 1/2 years.
Ok, thanks for the feedback and tips!