How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:32 am

I owned my own mobile PT business. I bought a cell phone to use exclusively for this work. The number was on my business cards, etc.

I’m closing this business. Is there a proper way to end my phone number? I wasn’t under contract just paying monthly.

I’m keeping the phone line for 3 months after closing with a special message to notify all of the close. Though people have already been notified, this 3 month gap is for people from long ago or new people and also any 3rd party vendors.

Though if someone new gets my old business number moments after I discontinue this number, I’m worried they may begin receiving calls they’d rather not get.

So is there a way to notify Verizon so they will delay giving this number out to another person for a short period of time?
Last edited by tomwood on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

123
Posts: 5155
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by 123 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am

If you want to retain any kind of professionalism you could transfer your number to google voice (which will automatically cancel cell account) and leave a greeting message to customers about the business closing.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:06 pm

123 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
If you want to retain any kind of professionalism you could transfer your number to google voice (which will automatically cancel cell account) and leave a greeting message to customers about the business closing.
I’m not familiar with google voice.
Rightly how much does it cost and how long will google voice retain my business number? Will I pay for both google voice and Verizon’s monthly cost which I’m currently paying?
Thank you for the great idea.

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 4018
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by mhc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm

google voice is free and you can keep it as long as you occassionaly use I believe

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4578
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm

You also have zero control over Verizon reassigning a number if you don't keep it.

Moving to GV will cost $20, then free. Make a call once a year.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by galawdawg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Google Voice is free but it does cost $20 to port in your Verizon number. Once that process is complete just make sure your service with Verizon is canceled.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin

anon_investor
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by anon_investor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm

They may be a 1 time fee to port your cell number to google voice, not sure what it is now a days it used to be around $5-10 a few years ago (if I remember correctly). Once you port it over, there is $0 cost. You can set it up so calls to that number are forwards to another phone number, or just have them go to a voicemail box.

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:19 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Google Voice is free but it does cost $20 to port in your Verizon number. Once that process is complete just make sure your service with Verizon is canceled.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin
And does that $20 move this business phone number from Verizon to google voice so no one else can have it so long as I keep the google voice account active?

User avatar
FrugalProfessor
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 11:34 am
Contact:

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by FrugalProfessor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm

tomwood wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:19 pm
galawdawg wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Google Voice is free but it does cost $20 to port in your Verizon number. Once that process is complete just make sure your service with Verizon is canceled.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin
And does that $20 move this business phone number from Verizon to google voice so no one else can have it so long as I keep the google voice account active?
So long as GV accepts your number as "portable", yes. I've been with GV for a decade and have nothing but the best things to say about them. Thanks to GV, we pay essentially zero for fully functional home VOIP phones and prepaid cell phones (http://frugalprofessor.com/phones).
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.

User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by galawdawg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:42 pm

tomwood wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:19 pm
galawdawg wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Google Voice is free but it does cost $20 to port in your Verizon number. Once that process is complete just make sure your service with Verizon is canceled.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin
And does that $20 move this business phone number from Verizon to google voice so no one else can have it so long as I keep the google voice account active?
Yep.

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:05 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm
tomwood wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:19 pm
galawdawg wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Google Voice is free but it does cost $20 to port in your Verizon number. Once that process is complete just make sure your service with Verizon is canceled.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin
And does that $20 move this business phone number from Verizon to google voice so no one else can have it so long as I keep the google voice account active?
So long as GV accepts your number as "portable", yes. I've been with GV for a decade and have nothing but the best things to say about them. Thanks to GV, we pay essentially zero for fully functional home VOIP phones and prepaid cell phones (http://frugalprofessor.com/phones).
Thank you for this wonderful advice.
Google voice accepted my mobile number so the port was successful. After this was accomplished, google voice sent me an email which indicates I need a new mobile phone number to have my calls forwarded. But this isn’t what I’m trying to accomplish.
Is there a way to use my number (now accepted by google voice) without obtaining a new mobile number? I’m hoping to set up a voicemail through google voice on my desktop, and check my voicemail on my desktop, if anyone ever leaves a message. Do you know if this can be accomplished?

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:07 am

anon_investor wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm
They may be a 1 time fee to port your cell number to google voice, not sure what it is now a days it used to be around $5-10 a few years ago (if I remember correctly). Once you port it over, there is $0 cost. You can set it up so calls to that number are forwards to another phone number, or just have them go to a voicemail box.
Would you be able to please explain to me how I have my calls, with the google voice phone number, go to a voicemail box. And also, how can I check that mailbox? Is that something I do entirely on my desktop? I don’t want to forward my calls to a new number. Thanks

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm
You also have zero control over Verizon reassigning a number if you don't keep it.

Moving to GV will cost $20, then free. Make a call once a year.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en
Does ‘checking my voicemail’ quality as making one call per year?
Can I make calls through my computer, using google voice?

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:10 am

123 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am
If you want to retain any kind of professionalism you could transfer your number to google voice (which will automatically cancel cell account) and leave a greeting message to customers about the business closing.
Thank you. This was great advice. Does google voice have its own voicemail box, after I port my number?

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:13 am

galawdawg wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Google Voice is free but it does cost $20 to port in your Verizon number. Once that process is complete just make sure your service with Verizon is canceled.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin
Thank you for the great advice. I was paying monthly for my Verizon account, not in a contract, so I assume this will be simple, but how do you suggest I confirm google voice successfully canceled my Verizon account ... simply calling them? Or just take them off autopay? Should I visit a store or have them email me information in writing about the account closing?

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4578
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 am

tomwood wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm
You also have zero control over Verizon reassigning a number if you don't keep it.

Moving to GV will cost $20, then free. Make a call once a year.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en
Does ‘checking my voicemail’ quality as making one call per year?
Can I make calls through my computer, using google voice?
Voicemail is not a call. Yes, you can call via GV on a PC, or tablet.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

GeMoney
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:15 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by GeMoney » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:28 am

You can also make a call using the free Google Voice or Google Hangouts app

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:49 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 am
tomwood wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm
You also have zero control over Verizon reassigning a number if you don't keep it.

Moving to GV will cost $20, then free. Make a call once a year.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en
Does ‘checking my voicemail’ quality as making one call per year?
Can I make calls through my computer, using google voice?
Voicemail is not a call. Yes, you can call via GV on a PC, or tablet.
Thank you.
And that call from a PC qualifies as making a “one call per year”?

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4578
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:24 pm

tomwood wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:49 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 am
tomwood wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm
You also have zero control over Verizon reassigning a number if you don't keep it.

Moving to GV will cost $20, then free. Make a call once a year.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en
Does ‘checking my voicemail’ quality as making one call per year?
Can I make calls through my computer, using google voice?
Voicemail is not a call. Yes, you can call via GV on a PC, or tablet.
Thank you.
And that call from a PC qualifies as making a “one call per year”?
Google Voice doesn't care from what device you use the number, so yes, that's fine.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
tomwood
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Re: How should I cancel my business cell phone?

Post by tomwood » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:05 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:24 pm
tomwood wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:49 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 am
tomwood wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm
You also have zero control over Verizon reassigning a number if you don't keep it.

Moving to GV will cost $20, then free. Make a call once a year.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en
Does ‘checking my voicemail’ quality as making one call per year?
Can I make calls through my computer, using google voice?
Voicemail is not a call. Yes, you can call via GV on a PC, or tablet.
Thank you.
And that call from a PC qualifies as making a “one call per year”?
Google Voice doesn't care from what device you use the number, so yes, that's fine.
Thank you for the help

Post Reply