What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Nicolas » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:28 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:34 am
Gaining time is a big benefit. Losing time is a big loss. The Soviets stole TIME from us.
Yes, you’re right. Gaining the time is a big advantage.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:17 pm

"Mastering Stand-Up" by Stephen Rosenfield. In November, I will be taking Rosenfield's stand-up class in NYC, and this book provides an excellent preparation. Those who can't make it to New York should read it for an excellent coverage of all aspects of stand-up, including looking for humor in your life, writing the first draft, revising, performing, tightening your jokes, perfecting your performance, and eventually becoming a professional.

Stand-up requires concise clear writing to make a strong point. Rosenfield's book itself is written according to these principles: in just over 200 pages he covers everything you need to know. I suggest that even those who are not interested in stand-up can read this book as an example of effective writing.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Indebted: How Families Make College Work at Any Cost By Caitlin Zaloom

How the financial pressures of paying for college affect the lives and well-being of middle-class families

The struggle to pay for college is one of the defining features of middle-class life in America today. At kitchen tables all across the country, parents agonize over whether to burden their children with loans or to sacrifice their own financial security by taking out a second mortgage or draining their retirement savings. Indebted takes readers into the homes of middle-class families throughout the nation to reveal the hidden consequences of student debt and the ways that financing college has transformed family life.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:55 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:17 pm
"Mastering Stand-Up" by Stephen Rosenfield. In November, I will be taking Rosenfield's stand-up class in NYC, and this book provides an excellent preparation. Those who can't make it to New York should read it for an excellent coverage of all aspects of stand-up, including looking for humor in your life, writing the first draft, revising, performing, tightening your jokes, perfecting your performance, and eventually becoming a professional.

Stand-up requires concise clear writing to make a strong point. Rosenfield's book itself is written according to these principles: in just over 200 pages he covers everything you need to know. I suggest that even those who are not interested in stand-up can read this book as an example of effective writing.

Victoria
Victoria, I got a joke for ya. Told by Victor Borge (many years ago) ...
  • When I was 15 or 16 years old I went to my barber for a haircut. I told him I wanted something special. One sideburn a little long and the other a little short. A few places on the top cut quite short, like little holes, and a few longer tufts sticking out and fluffed up. Make the back kind of zig-zag. The barber said "I can't do that to you!" I said "Why not? You did it last time!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:01 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:55 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
  • When I was 15 or 16 years old I went to my barber for a haircut. I told him I wanted something special. One sideburn a little long and the other a little short. A few places on the top cut quite short, like little holes, and a few longer tufts sticking out and fluffed up. Make the back kind of zig-zag. The barber said "I can't do that to you!" I said "Why not? You did it last time!"
Thank you for the joke. It's funny, but it's not what stand-up is about. In stand-up, we have to develop our stage personas, find humor in our lives and observations, and deliver our jokes in such a way that it would be associated with our personas and nobody else.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:01 pm
bertilak wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Thank you for the joke. It's funny, but it's not what stand-up is about. In stand-up, we have to develop our stage personas, find humor in our lives and observations, and deliver our jokes in such a way that it would be associated with our personas and nobody else.

Victoria
While I suspect none of what you wrote is wrong, I also think people are either funny or they aren't. You can't become funny by reading a book about making jokes.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:48 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Victor Borge is more of a sit-down comedian -- on a piano bench.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 am
VictoriaF wrote:
bertilak wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
While I suspect none of what you wrote is wrong, I also think people are either funny or they aren't. You can't become funny by reading a book about making jokes.
Among many reasons I liked this book is that it's an excellent example of concise writing. Stand-up comedians must write very tight jokes and this high signal-to-noise ratio carries over into their other writing. It's logical, but I did not think about it before I read this book. One take-away is that whether you kill or bomb, writing stand-up jokes is a good writing practice.

Can you become funny by reading a book? I have several comments:
1. People who do not think of themselves as funny don't consider stand-up. People that pick up this book already have some comic aspirations and have received some positive feedback in the past.
2. This book is not about "making jokes." It's about the whole process starting with identifying humor in your life, writing scripts, relentlessly editing, arranging your sets, testing your jokes in comedy clubs, rearranging, retesting, developing your attitudes, testing again, and at some point creating your comic persona.
3. I used to think that "funny" is in the eyes of the beholder. But the book describes a specific metric: laughter by the paying audience. The quality of a joke is measured by the amount of laughter it generates. Measurements are taken with an audio recorder placed in the back of the room. Serious comedians are like engineers. They design experiments of modifying and rearranging their jokes and evaluate the results.
4. Finally, if someone thinks "I am not funny. Can I become more funny?" I recommend taking an improvisation class. Improv is a great way to bring out funny from the most awkward people.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:52 am

bertilak wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:48 am
Victor Borge is more of a sit-down comedian -- on a piano bench.
I checked out Victor Borge: Sadly, since 2000, he is a lie-down comedian.

Thank you for the reference,

Victoria

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:07 pm

Arctic Chill, by Arnaldur Indridason.

In Iceland a young boy, son of an immigrant from Thailand, is stabbed to death. An issue is whether resentment of immigrants is the cause of the attack.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:46 pm

I read the new Jack Reacher book released earlier this week, "Blue Moon" by Lee Child. Classic Reacher, a little more action and killing than usual, but very entertaining.

Dave

BajaBound

Post by BajaBound » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm

[First Post. Hi.] I am reading "How We Decide," by Jonah Lehrer, a fascinating account of new neurological and cultural research on brain functions in decision-making. For example, it turns out that rather than being problematic, emotions are essential to good decision-making. My interest in this book is deeply personal; I am tired of running endless "scenarios." This info may help. And if not, it is an excellent diversion!
“Do not stop thinking of life as an adventure. You have no security unless you can live bravely, excitingly, imaginatively; unless you can choose a challenge instead of competence.” Eleanor Roosevelt

mountaingoatcos

Post by mountaingoatcos » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:32 pm

The Power Broker, by Robert Caro.
After I finish this, I will have read all of his published books this year.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:44 am

Falling Felines and Fundamental Physics (2019) by Gregory Gbur

Cats land on their feet, but how? This book explains it in about 300 pages! The full explanation is rather complex. For example, how do cats know which way is up? Einstein's special theory of relativity says that in free fall there is no sense of up and down but blindfolded cats can do it.

The history of wondering about, explaining, and experimenting with falling cats goes back a very long time and involved some interesting people including James Clerk Maxwell. Many seemingly correct theories have been proposed but eventually found wanting. Even the use of high-speed cameras resulted in disagreements. There is a 19 page bibliography.

Study of how cats do it was used in the early years of space travel: How can an astronaut reorient himself when untethered and weightless?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:17 am

I just finished The Girl in the Spider's Web, by David Lagercrantz. This is the first book continuing the "franchise" of the Stieg Larsson "Millennium" series (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) etc.

Eh.

It was entertaining and readable, but it was not nourishing. I thought the Stieg Larsson books were actually good, whereas this was just a "good read," and in several respects seemed like a betrayal of the original books.

First, I had problems with suspending disbelief. He tries to immunize himself against it by acknowledging them in what are almost winks at the reader through the fourth wall, but he doesn't succeed. Lizbeth is no longer a believable character. She has, in fact, become a comic-book superhero, and the book reads as if the author was thinking more in terms of a graphic novel or a movie, than as a novel.

a) We learn that Lisbeth Salander has an evil twin. Yes, an evil twin. (An earlier book named her but did not say much about her). The twin is a supervillain, and at the end of the book Lisbeth has not managed to kill her, and a beloved character has fallen into her wicked snare. Sure, he had to set things up for a sequel, but did it need to be so obvious?

b) The book features an autistic savant, an adolescent named August. A bad guy kills August's father, but makes the mistake of not killing August because although the bad guy is really bad, he doesn't like to kill children unnecessarily, and he doesn't think August can talk. Well, August can't talk--but he can produce photorealistic drawings when he wants to. Furthermore, he turns out to be a math genius. Once Lizbeth establishes rapport with him, he helps her to break an RSA-encrypted message. He can't actually factorize 500-digit numbers in his head, that is too hard, but after Lizbeth takes the time to chat with him for a few minutes about something she is doing with elliptic functions, a day or so later August is able to improve on her work enough to crack the encrypted message.

c) Lizbeth and August are trapped on a ledge at a seaside house being pursued by four bad guys with automatic weapons. Fortunately she can't be seen on the ledge. When she jumps down they are all so surprised that she's able to shoot all four of them. Lee Child can make that work with Jack Reacher; not Lagercrantz.

Second, the book appears to be a politics-free zone. (To be sure, it does takes a stand against men who hate women).

Third, the book uses the annoying and lazy trick (also used by Dan Brown) of ending every chapter with a cliffhanger, and breaking off to follow a different category. That really does get irritating after a while.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Elric

Post by Elric » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am

"How Democracies Die" by Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt. Excellent book that I cannot recommend highly enough. Goes into what has happened in other countries outside of the U.S., the "soft guardrails" that help protect against authoritarian leaders and how these have been eroded over several decades in the U.S., etc.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:37 am

[Deleted by Nisiprius].
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

hershey102d

Post by hershey102d » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:01 pm

‘Caesar’s Legion’ by Stephen Dando-Collins. A history of Julius Caesar’s famed 10th Legion . . . Legio X . . . considered the world’s most efficient infantry before gunpowder. Captures the Roman army at the height of it’s power and Caesar’s most trusted legion and it’s many campaigns including the siege of Masada. Written in a very accessible style and not at all a technical military book. I suppose those four long years of high school Latin planted a seed :-)

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:14 am

Reading Jack Bogle's last book "Stay the Course" So far I love it!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

bdrolan

Post by bdrolan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Just finished "Norse Mythology" by Neil Gaiman.

Started "American Gods" by Gaiman and should finish "Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans" by Brian Kilmeade/Don Yaeger this weekend.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Chances Are... a novel by Richard Russo.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:22 am

Dave55 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:46 pm
I read the new Jack Reacher book released earlier this week, "Blue Moon" by Lee Child. Classic Reacher, a little more action and killing than usual, but very entertaining.

Dave
I finished Blue Moon last night. I can't recommend it. I've been reading Lee Child for over 20 years. He's extremely talented. The Reacher in this book is not the same Reacher I met in the earlier books. It's like he's out of a Quentin Tarantino movie, w/o the humor.

Awhile ago after watching the first two John Wick movies, the 2nd only part way, I googled "how many killed in John Wick movie". The answer was 77/128/94 for movies 1/2/3.

I tried the same for "how many killed in lee child blue moon". No answer, but I can assure you it is a big number. It's Reacher against two rival mobs in an un-named small city.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:40 am

Hypothermia, by Arnaldur Idridason.

In Iceland, a woman is found hanged at her lakeside vacation home an apparent suicide.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

WhyNotKnow

Post by WhyNotKnow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:51 am

Auto Gawande’s book
Being Mortal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_Mortal

A difficult book for me to read, well worth it though. Especially for anyone who plans on growing older. And for those who’s plans have been interrupted by illness or injury.

P.S. This may well have been posted already, I didn’t look back through all 80+ pages :happy

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Elric wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am
"How Democracies Die" by Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt. Excellent book that I cannot recommend highly enough. Goes into what has happened in other countries outside of the U.S., the "soft guardrails" that help protect against authoritarian leaders and how these have been eroded over several decades in the U.S., etc.
Picked this book up at the library this morning based on your recommendation - it is great so far. Thank you!

Elric

Post by Elric » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:12 am

Picasso wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:08 pm
Elric wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am
Picked this book up at the library this morning based on your recommendation - it is great so far. Thank you!
:sharebeer

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:54 am

heartwood wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:22 am
Dave55 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:46 pm

Dave
I finished Blue Moon last night. I can't recommend it. I've been reading Lee Child for over 20 years. He's extremely talented. The Reacher in this book is not the same Reacher I met in the earlier books. It's like he's out of a Quentin Tarantino movie, w/o the humor.

Awhile ago after watching the first two John Wick movies, the 2nd only part way, I googled "how many killed in John Wick movie". The answer was 77/128/94 for movies 1/2/3.

I tried the same for "how many killed in lee child blue moon". No answer, but I can assure you it is a big number. It's Reacher against two rival mobs in an un-named small city.
I agree that Child is slipping. The detail and nuance that was once there is gone.

Dave

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Bogleheads:

I have just finished "Snow & Steel -- The Battle of the Bulge" by Peter Caddick-Adams.

Snow & Steel is the story of the largest land battle in American history with approximately 90,000 casualties on each side (Germans and Americans). It tells the story from both sides in surprising detail and is the most referenced book (65 pages) that I have read.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Lloydo

Post by Lloydo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:52 pm

“Permanent Record”, Edward Snowden. Highly recommended!

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:59 pm

I am currently reading Safety-First Retirement Planning: An Integrated Approach for a Worry-Free Retirement by Wade Pfau.

Thus far, a good read. I'm sure I will pick up some ideas that will be new for me to consider. I always do when I read books by Professor Pfau and also Larry Swedroe.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:04 pm

WhyNotKnow wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:51 am
Auto Gawande’s book
Being Mortal

A difficult book for me to read, well worth it though. Especially for anyone who plans on growing older. And for those who’s plans have been interrupted by illness or injury.

P.S. This may well have been posted already, I didn’t look back through all 80+ pages :happy
David Sinclair's "Lifespan" provides an optimistic counter-balance. Check it out.

Victoria

Elric

Post by Elric » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Lloydo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:52 pm
I agree. It's what I read before How Democracies Die. I had already read and watched a lot on Snowden, so I found it a good, but not great, book. If I had known less going in I'd likely have rated it even higher.

Elric

Post by Elric » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Lloydo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:52 pm
I agree. It's what I read before How Democracies Die. I had already read and watched a lot on Snowden, so I found it a good, but not great, book. If I had known less going in I'd likely have rated it even higher.

juvenho

Post by juvenho » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:38 pm

I am reading Bogleheads Guide to Investing. Try good book

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:43 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 am
VictoriaF wrote:
bertilak wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
Some comedians buy jokes as well. Or have a staff that write them.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

WhyNotKnow

Post by WhyNotKnow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:49 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:04 pm
WhyNotKnow wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:51 am
Auto Gawande’s book
Being Mortal

A difficult book for me to read, well worth it though. :happy
David Sinclair's "Lifespan" provides an optimistic counter-balance. Check it out.

Victoria
Will do. Thank you for the recommendation!

David

LMBFlorida

Post by LMBFlorida » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:51 pm

In Hoffa's Shadow. Very good and abut much more than his disappearance.

ariyan

Post by ariyan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:16 am

All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr
It's a historical fiction book. Would recommend.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:54 am

Elsebet wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:26 pm
"The Girl Next Door" by Jack Ketchum. Only about 70 pages in and it reminds me of Stand By Me so far.
Oh it's not much like that at all.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:30 pm

placeholder wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:54 am
Elsebet wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:26 pm
"The Girl Next Door" by Jack Ketchum. Only about 70 pages in and it reminds me of Stand By Me so far.
Oh it's not much like that at all.
Yes I am now finding that out halfway through, very disturbing.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

wabbott

Post by wabbott » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination - Neal Gabler. Have been a Disney fanatic since about age 5, sixty-four years ago.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:30 pm
Yes I am now finding that out halfway through, very disturbing.
Worse it's based on a true story.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:42 pm

"Athens: A Portrait Of The City In Its Golden Age", by Christian Meier (Henry Holt And Company 1998)

Meier is the emeritus professor of ancient history at the University of Munich. His treatise is almost 600 pages long and it is not a breezy read. His writing style seems to be aimed at other professors and graduate students. He can wander into analytical hypothesizing about the motivations of the ancient Greeks that tried my patience at several places in the text. Nevertheless, having finished his tome, I now know and understand a whole lot more about the people of historic Athens than I did previously. When Meier gets down to relating comprehensively the critical points and citizens of Athen's history - the battles of Marathon, Salamis, Sicily, and Mantinea; Solon, Cleisthenes, Thermistocles, Pericles, and Alcibiades; and the final extended decline due to the Peloponnesian War - his prose becomes much more focused and absolutely fascinating. "Athens" will serve as an excellent reference on anybody's bookshelf.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Just finished two interesting books. Buzz, Sting, Bite, Why We Need Insects by Anne Sverdlup-Thygeson. The author, a professor of entomology at a Norwegian University, clearly loves the insect world and her enthusiasm is contagious. This book is everything you want to know about the insect world plus more. Recommend even though I did skim some of the insect chapters, you can pick and choose those you find more to your insect liking.

Now We Shall Be Entirely Free by Andrew Miller. Beautifully written historical fiction from the Peninsular Wars in Spain in early 19th century, protagonist is a young British cavalry officer haunted by a wanton killing of Spanish civilians, he is pursued to the Scottish outer islands by a British soldier named Calley (name not coincidental). I found the plot very interesting and setting in the Scottish islands fascinating but most important the writing was beautiful. Highly recommend.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:55 am

Undo It by DR. Dean Ornish + Anne Ornish. Modivation for a healthy lifestyle.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:58 am

If I had a nickel for every Virginia who said they came from royalty, I'd be rich. This book puts an end to that. Virginia Immigrants and Adventurers: A Biographical Dictionary, 1607-1635 by Martha McCartney. It is a resource book, but I am simply reading it cover to cover. It contains the biographies of the approximately 5,000 settlers who arrive in Virginia during this period. Who they were, where they came from, what ship they arrived on, court cases known (many court records were destroyed in Bacon's Rebellion, the Revolution, the War of 1812 and the Civil War) and so on. Its a valuable resource for those searching family histories but also for those who want to get an idea of the people who arrived. McCartney is a well known researcher and had resources opened to her abroad which are normally not available. She is now working on a book of the first African Americans who arrived in Virginia.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:17 am

"Live By Night" by Dennis LeHane. 1920's gangsters, in Boston, was also made into a film with Ben Affleck. As with all Dennis LeHane's work, very well written, page turner.

Dave

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 pm

I enjoyed the most recent novel by David Ignatius (yes, that David Ignatius, of the media) so much, that I went back and found he's written quite a few.

So I backed up and am almost through his "first", The Director [of the CIA].

He writes very well; it's a pleasure to read.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Reading The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder. This year will be my first attending the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholder's meeting, and I wanted to expand my knowledge about Buffett before going. It's entertaining so far and really urges me to stay motivated in my day-to-day.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:17 am
"Live By Night" by Dennis LeHane. 1920's gangsters, in Boston, was also made into a film with Ben Affleck. As with all Dennis LeHane's work, very well written, page turner.

Dave
This was a good one. Book 2 in trilogy. I actually thought "The Given Day" (Book 1) was the best of the three.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.