Mother gave out social security number to fraudulent caller

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Theseus

Mother gave out social security number to fraudulent caller

Post by Theseus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi

My mother told me she gave out her SSN to a caller who told her she was from Homeland Security. This happened 3 months ago.

Other than checking her credit reports and freezing her credit what else should I be doing?

whodidntante

Re: Mother gave out social security number to fraudulent caller

Post by whodidntante » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Theseus wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:12 pm
Other than checking her credit reports and freezing her credit what else should I be doing?
If you're doing that, you should be getting power of attorney. Otherwise, you have no authority to do those things.

sd323232

Post by sd323232 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:23 pm

You can buy identity theft insurance. With all the breaches happening, probably all our ss numbers are out there.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Suggest that she/you make sure her credit is frozen at all 3 major credit bureaus (Experian, Transunion, Equifax) as well as the lesser known company used to open checking accounts (Innovis). Another risky area would be filing for false SS claims, so if Mom isn't getting SS yet, she/you probably want to open a user account as fraud can occur with people claiming back SS payments and routing them to Debit cards (really... it happens). I would also be monitoring Mom's SS number with the IRS and her local tax authority, as a big issue might be someone filing a fake tax return and then getting a big refund.... Krebs on Security has an excellent website on issues like this, I would go there and see what else.... And definitely pull a credit report every 4 months from the annualcreditreport.com folks and go through it very carefully. Bummer.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Theseus wrote:
Hi

My mother told me she gave out her SSN to a caller who told her she was from Homeland Security. This happened 3 months ago.

Underlying question: Did she give any other information? Birth date. Previous address? Any seemingly innocent facts that might be used for security questions?

Startingover2019

Post by Startingover2019 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:20 pm
Theseus wrote:
If you're doing that, you should be getting power of attorney. Otherwise, you have no authority to do those things.
Seriously? Verbal agreement does not count?

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Theseus wrote:
Hi

this will prevent thieves from getting credit in her SSN because they will need the passcode to thaw credit. Without that, they can't get credit.

They can still file a fraudulent tax return if they do so before she files, so make sure she files as early in the year as possible, probably even if she's not required to (just to prevent someone else filing under her SSN). You can ask the IRS if that's the right strategy, and maybe get her a pin for filing (if able to). source: https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-frau ... pin-ip-pin

Speaking of which, do you have the passcodes, does your mom, or do you both? Don't lose the PINs, ever.

The reason I ask is, are there other things going on that demonstrate some cognitive slippage? If so, you need to get POA and check her bank accts, etc. to make sure she's not giving money away, etc. Hopefully, this was just a one off but it becomes more commonplace as one gets older. Best to get involved before it gets too bad. And hopefully your mom will welcome your help, but it sometimes depends on how it's framed/addressed.

does she have many (or too many) credit cards that could be charged up if she's cognitively slipping? I would (with her permission) check her bank accounts to check for any unusual transactions, etc. I've seen people order oodles of stuff off QVC. Do you know how she's living (have you physically seen her place to make sure there's no hoarding behaviors, cleanliness is good, etc)?

Those are some things to consider. But get a POA if you don't have one .

let us know how it goes.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 pm

Startingover2019 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:20 pm
Theseus wrote:
Seriously? Verbal agreement does not count?
If you help her do it that's fine.

She might consider freezing ChexSystems and Early Warning. This will prevent opening certain bank accounts.

She can also do fraud alerts if she's really worried.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:01 pm

sd323232 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:23 pm
You can buy identity theft insurance. With all the breaches happening, probably all our ss numbers are out there.
It's comforting to know that if I ever forget my social security number, I can just look it up online. :happy

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Identity theft insurance is probably a good idea. Normally I'd say it's not worth it, but if she's giving out her SSN willy nilly, she probably needs it more than most.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 am

make sure she establishes a My Social Security online account if she has not already done so:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/01/reg ... -guard-up/
KrebsOnSecurity has long warned readers to plant your own flag at the my Social Security online portal of the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) — even if you are not yet drawing benefits from the agency — because identity thieves have been registering accounts in peoples’ names and siphoning retirement and/or disability funds. This is the story of a Midwest couple that took all the right precautions and still got hit by ID thieves who impersonated them to the SSA directly over the phone.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:33 am

Theseus wrote:
Hi

Tell her to not answer phone calls from folks or phone numbers that she doesn't know.

Our only phones now are iPhones. The new iOS has a feature called "Silence Unknown Callers", which will send a call from any number not in our contacts list directly to voice mail. I trust that "Homeland Security" wasn't one of your mothers' contacts.

We've found that very few of the scammers will leave voice mail. And if someone leaves your mother a strange sounding voice mail, ask her to get you involved in assessing and returning the call (if needed).
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt