[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mancich

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by mancich » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:13 am

The Kominsky Method on Netflix with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. 25 minute episodes. I knocked out season 2 yesterday.

JackieBog46

Post by JackieBog46 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:48 am

JBTX wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:09 am
JackieBog46 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:53 am
Hollywood loves making dark, dystopian, end-of-days "entertainment" these days. Why is this stuff entertaining? I have gotten about 20 people to watch a gem called Heartland (on Netflix, Prime and Hulu). It is the longest running show in Canadian Broadcasting Company history, currently going into Season 13. Yes, it's Canadian, but it's from Western Canada, and they're pretty much just like western Americans.

Heartland is a beyond-lovely family show that defies description in its beauty, drama, charm, adventure and magic. And, because the series is so long-running, you get to see the main characters grow up and mature. The romance between main characters Amy & Ty puts anything by Nicholas Sparks to shame. Of the 20 (or so) people who have watched Heartland on my recommendation, 15 have told me it's the greatest show they've ever seen. Most end up binge-watching 2-3 episodes per night! There are, currently, 213 episodes.

You have to watch the first 3 shows (not just 2) to get hooked but you will be forever glad you did. It is not hokey or corny like you might think. And, unlike most of today's "entertainment," it will make you laugh and cry and will feed your soul. Honestly, you probably have never seen a show this good. If you don't believe me, go to Amazon and type-in "Heartland Season 1" and read the stunning reviews. Here's the trailer for Season 12 so you know what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBIDMSGDKg
I like the dystopian stuff, but I'll definitely give this a try. Could be a nice change of pace. Probably something my wife will like this too.

Have you watched Parenthood? It was a network TV series based on the movie. It was surprisingly very good. They tackled various family issues in an intelligent yet entertaining way. A little more low key than the movie.

JBTX,

No, I haven't seen Parenthood. We don't have kids so I let that one slip by. Has your wife watched Heartland yet? If so, what did she think?

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:14 am

Ekaterina. It's Russian, with English subtitles. It's about how Catherine the Great, who was German, came to rule Russia. It is well done and I enjoyed learning that bit of history.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:56 pm

JackieBog46 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:48 am
JBTX wrote:
JackieBog46 wrote:
Hollywood loves making dark, dystopian, end-of-days "entertainment" these days. Why is this stuff entertaining? I have gotten about 20 people to watch a gem called Heartland (on Netflix, Prime and Hulu). It is the longest running show in Canadian Broadcasting Company history, currently going into Season 13. Yes, it's Canadian, but it's from Western Canada, and they're pretty much just like western Americans.

Heartland is a beyond-lovely family show that defies description in its beauty, drama, charm, adventure and magic. And, because the series is so long-running, you get to see the main characters grow up and mature. The romance between main characters Amy & Ty puts anything by Nicholas Sparks to shame. Of the 20 (or so) people who have watched Heartland on my recommendation, 15 have told me it's the greatest show they've ever seen. Most end up binge-watching 2-3 episodes per night! There are, currently, 213 episodes.

You have to watch the first 3 shows (not just 2) to get hooked but you will be forever glad you did. It is not hokey or corny like you might think. And, unlike most of today's "entertainment," it will make you laugh and cry and will feed your soul. Honestly, you probably have never seen a show this good. If you don't believe me, go to Amazon and type-in "Heartland Season 1" and read the stunning reviews. Here's the trailer for Season 12 so you know what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBIDMSGDKg
I like the dystopian stuff, but I'll definitely give this a try. Could be a nice change of pace. Probably something my wife will like this too.

Have you watched Parenthood? It was a network TV series based on the movie. It was surprisingly very good. They tackled various family issues in an intelligent yet entertaining way. A little more low key than the movie.

JBTX,

No, I haven't seen Parenthood. We don't have kids so I let that one slip by. Has your wife watched Heartland yet? If so, what did she think?
No she hasn't. I went through about 1 season. It is a nice easy change of pace. It strikes me a lot like a modern day little house on the Prairie (and I don't mean that in a negative way). At times it is a bit formulaic but otherwise consistent. I know my wife would like it, but she resists anything I recommend, even though she typically likes what I recommend (I only recommend what I think she'd like). My mom would like it but she doesn't stream even though she pays for Netflix. Go figure.

My wife has been watching Yellowstone on paramount and likes it. I'd watch it but the first five shows of the first season don't show as available to watch.

Parenthood is more about family than parenting per se.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Stumbled upon "The Sinner" on Netflix. Really liked it. Originally a USA network show. 2 seasons. Instead of being a "who dunnit", you know who did it, but the entire season is figuring out why they did it. Slow and deliberately paced. The common theme of pretty much throughout is people can be basically good but when put in certain situations can do terrible things. The two seasons are completely different other than the lead detective.

Started watching "the watchmen" on HBO. Had high hopes but mixed feelings about it so far. Has kind of a batman / marvel comics feel that I find a bit off putting.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:16 pm

JBTX wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:13 pm
Stumbled upon "The Sinner" on Netflix. Really liked it. Originally a USA network show. 2 seasons. Instead of being a "who dunnit", you know who did it, but the entire season is figuring out why they did it. Slow and deliberately paced. The common theme of pretty much throughout is people can be basically good but when put in certain situations can do terrible things. The two seasons are completely different other than the lead detective.

Similar, just stumbled upon it and both seasons are pretty good.

JackieBog46

Post by JackieBog46 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:57 am

JBTX wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:56 pm
JackieBog46 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:48 am
JBTX wrote:
JackieBog46 wrote:

JBTX,

No she hasn't. I went through about 1 season. It is a nice easy change of pace. It strikes me a lot like a modern day little house on the Prairie (and I don't mean that in a negative way). At times it is a bit formulaic but otherwise consistent. I know my wife would like it, but she resists anything I recommend, even though she typically likes what I recommend (I only recommend what I think she'd like). My mom would like it but she doesn't stream even though she pays for Netflix. Go figure.

My wife has been watching Yellowstone on paramount and likes it. I'd watch it but the first five shows of the first season don't show as available to watch.

Parenthood is more about family than parenting per se.
"She resists anything I recommend, even though she typically likes what I recommend." LOL. Sounds like my wife, too! Thank you for watching Heartland on my recommendation. To me, it's a great escape from the type of shows available elsewhere. The show gets better and better as it goes along. Season 2, Episode 1 (you're almost there!) has Ty returning from his father's place after 3 months away, all beaten-up and broken. A very complex mix of feelings emerge - much deeper and more nuanced than you typically see on a TV show. There is a scene near the end of the episode where Amy is watching Ty from her bedroom window (with background music that will break your heart). She's pissed that he didn't call while he was away and decides to play "impossible to get back". As she watches Ty limp towards his loft, she knows she loves him but she's not going to make it easy on him. The rest of the season has them circling each other until the inevitable happens, and your heart will (I think) burst with joy as they eventually figure things out. Amber Marshall won a "Rosie (a Canadian Emmy)" for her work that season and the actor who plays Ty is much-improved in Season 2. Keep going, JBTX! You will be richly rewarded. Over the next 12 years of shows, the story is epic.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:37 am

We just finished the third season of The Good Place on Netflix.

Loved it, an unusual take on the afterlife.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Case59

Post by Case59 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:02 pm

The Great British Baking Show, on Netflix. Most fun I've had watching TV in a long, long time. Learned a few things, too.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:18 pm

mancich wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:13 am
The Kominsky Method on Netflix with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. 25 minute episodes. I knocked out season 2 yesterday.
Loved it!

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 pm

First 2 episodes of HBO's Watchmen is great
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Working through the final season of Schitts Creek, which even my adult kids like.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:07 pm
After watching El Camino on Netflix, the movie sequel to Breaking Bad (Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?), my account automatically flipped to Season 5 of Peaky Blinders.

Season 5 was released on October 4. I'll start that tomorrow.

(I just finished Season 2 of The Wire on Amazon Prime. I might watch Season 3, but it was wearing on me and I was looking for a change of pace.)
I couldn't get past the second episode of Peaky Blinders. The first episode had me wondering what was wrong. It seemed like an artistic rendition of the series - weird music and surreal shots. I had no idea what was going on.

I watched the second episode to be sure. They introduced music to make the scene more dramatic than it really was. It seemed like they were trying to take the show in directions away from the main character, but it simply didn't work. I'll find something else to watch.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan season 2, episode 3 at about 24:40 in, has a "stock tip" from the series hero that our own hero would have approved of (notwithstanding the profanity.)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Рая знает всё, part 38.

This 50-part serial in Russian is a mix of a detective, melodrama, and comedy. The stories evolve around a turbulent romantic relationship between a policeman and a hair stylist in a provincial Russian town. In every show, somebody gets killed, or threatened, or hurt, and the hair stylist Рая plays an instrumental role in solving the crime.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:59 pm

The 10-episode second season of "Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories" just started on Netflix. Charming stories of people that visit the diner from 12AM-7AM and their lives and the special meal they order. Set in a real popular Tokyo diner.
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 13-time loser

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Currently enjoying The Good Place season 3 and Silicon Valley season 5. Love them both.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 pm

I don't think Bojack Horseman has been mentioned on this thread. It is not for everyone but it wrestles in a humorous way with difficult issues like depression and substance abuse. It's now in its final season on Netflix. [of course, for it to make sense, you need to start watching from the beginning...]

pondering

Post by pondering » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:35 am

Watched an episode of the current season of American Housewife on the DVR.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

politely

Post by politely » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:50 am

Should be finishing up Numb3rs this week (currently on season 5), an old show that I didn't really expect to like based on the description - but am really enjoying (although, in my view, the quality has dropped a little and is becoming a little more and more implausible over the seasons). Then will move on to Jack Ryan season 2, and then Kominsky Method season2. I finished up The Good Place season 3 within a week of being available on streaming, and am waiting for the next season (another show that I didn't expect to like based on the description).

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:04 am

Dasnyc wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:18 pm
mancich wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:13 am
Loved it!
I did too. Started watching on a friend's recommendation and wasn't sure about this one till after the first few episodes. But the chemistry between the two leads, Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin, and the spot on view of life as one ages in a youth obsessed country became engrossing and quite entertaining. Definitely recommend this show.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:09 pm
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan season 2, episode 3 at about 24:40 in, has a "stock tip" from the series hero that our own hero would have approved of (notwithstanding the profanity.)
When that scene came on I started jumping around the room saying, "SEE! SEE!" Everybody thought I was an idiot, but I got a good laugh out of it.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:14 pm

queso wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:13 pm
Bylo Selhi wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:09 pm
When that scene came on I started jumping around the room saying, "SEE! SEE!" Everybody thought I was an idiot, but I got a good laugh out of it.
I knew it was coming, but my wife didn't. She immediately chuckled.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Just watched the very first Perry Mason. 1957.

The show was very good. It's not your typical crime show from that period, for example no fistfights, etc. (at least in this episode). Perry gets the job done through clever manipulation of the bad guys and the police who try to implicate his (innocent, of course) client. He doesn't always play fair! For example he messes with the crime scene to plant false evidence. It all comes together in the final courtroom scene. The police and prosecutor must have had the most unsatisfying jobs of anyone in law enforcement!

It is typical of the time (1950s) that there is no continuing episode-to-episode story line nor any developing relationship between main characters. The regulars never get together other than to do their respective jobs. Unlike, for example today's Hawaii Five-0, Perry and Drake don't open an Italian restaurant with Della doing torch song entertainment! That's both bad and good. Too bad we don't get a deeper look at the characters, but there is a comfort level established by always dropping into the same familiar situation. It's also good that they don't have to come up with ever more outrageous plots (no nuclear bombs or other "jumping the shark" episodes) -- again unlike Hawaii Five-O.

Erle Stanley Gardner provided the characters and the plot.

All the old familiar faces:
  • Perry Mason the defense attorney (Raymond Burr)
    his secretary Della Street (Barbara Hale)
    his investigator Paul Drake (William Hopper)
    his opponents district attorney Hamilton Burger (William Talman) and
    police Lt. Arthur Tragg (Ray Collins)
There are over 240 episodes so I have lots of "fillers" to watch now and then. This is what I use Forensic Files and Peter Gunn for so now I can mix things up a bit more.

If you grew up in that time the nostalgia factor is high.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Jack Ryan Season 2 on Amazon Prime...better than Season 1, by far.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:45 pm

I removed an off-topic post suggesting movie titles which are above our family-friendly threshold.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 am

Murder Rooms: Mysteries of the Real Sherlock Holmes, on Amazon Prime.

This is a BBC series of four movie-length episodes, based loosely on Arthur Conan Doyle's time as a clerk for Dr. Joseph Bell at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary in the 1870s. Bell was the inspiration for Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories.

The four episodes are very good.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:33 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:00 pm
Just watched the very first Perry Mason. 1957.

The show was very good. It's not your typical crime show from that period, for example no fistfights, etc. (at least in this episode). Perry gets the job done through clever manipulation of the bad guys and the police who try to implicate his (innocent, of course) client. He doesn't always play fair! For example he messes with the crime scene to plant false evidence. It all comes together in the final courtroom scene. The police and prosecutor must have had the most unsatisfying jobs of anyone in law enforcement!

It is typical of the time (1950s) that there is no continuing episode-to-episode story line nor any developing relationship between main characters. The regulars never get together other than to do their respective jobs. Unlike, for example today's Hawaii Five-0, Perry and Drake don't open an Italian restaurant with Della doing torch song entertainment! That's both bad and good. Too bad we don't get a deeper look at the characters, but there is a comfort level established by always dropping into the same familiar situation. It's also good that they don't have to come up with ever more outrageous plots (no nuclear bombs or other "jumping the shark" episodes) -- again unlike Hawaii Five-O.

Erle Stanley Gardner provided the characters and the plot.

All the old familiar faces:
  • Perry Mason the defense attorney (Raymond Burr)
    his secretary Della Street (Barbara Hale)
    his investigator Paul Drake (William Hopper)
    his opponents district attorney Hamilton Burger (William Talman) and
    police Lt. Arthur Tragg (Ray Collins)
There are over 240 episodes so I have lots of "fillers" to watch now and then. This is what I use Forensic Files and Peter Gunn for so now I can mix things up a bit more.

If you grew up in that time the nostalgia factor is high.
Thanks for mentioning this fine show with excellent actors. Raymond Burr in particular has a very distinctive voice and presence on screen.

When I was a teenager (1960's) I read every Perry Mason book in that long series, as well as the entire Donald Lam/Bertha Cool series that ESG wrote under the pen name A. A. Fair. Loved all those characters.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:03 pm

"Mars" season 2 on Netflix. Enjoying it.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Oldschool wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:25 pm
that's a pretty low bar to clear...

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm

batpot wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:03 pm
Oldschool wrote:
Agreed. Season 1 was a huge disappointment. Season 2 was much better, but still predictable and IMO mediocre.

"Castle Rock" is another show that is an awesome premise that I thought disappointed in season 1. We're 2 episodes into season 2 and it is great so far.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm
batpot wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Agreed. Season 1 was a huge disappointment. Season 2 was much better, but still predictable and IMO mediocre.

"Castle Rock" is another show that is an awesome premise that I thought disappointed in season 1. We're 2 episodes into season 2 and it is great so far.
I was excited about it too, but never could get through season 1. Does season 2 depend on season 1 or can I skip the rest and just start season 2?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:54 am

batpot wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
I really like John Krasinski (I guess because of The Office, but felt let down by Season 1. My wife and I watched an episode and a half of Season 2, but moved on to other things. I guess if there are no more things to watch (unlikely), we will return to it. Disappointing.

I did not realize that Krasinski was such a bad actor, or perhaps he wasn't directed well. I usually like Noomi Rapace, but meh here.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 am

queso wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am
stoptothink wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm
batpot wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

I was excited about it too, but never could get through season 1. Does season 2 depend on season 1 or can I skip the rest and just start season 2?
You can definitely skip to season 2 without much issue. Totally different storyline.

We finished what has been posted of season 2 of "Castle Rock" on Hulu. I think 5 episodes so far. Wow, it is really fantastic; I hope it has an ending that does it justice.

dorothyday

Post by dorothyday » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:33 am

"The Heart Guy", Australian show about a heart surgeon who returns to his small rural town for a year.

Blues

Post by Blues » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 am

Jack Ryan, seasons 1 and 2, were both wanting on so many levels. Hours I'll never get back.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

shavenyak

Post by shavenyak » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Living With Yourself

"A man who is burned out on life and love undergoes a mysterious treatment, only to discover that he has been replaced by a better version of himself."

Just watched the first three episodes of this new, comedy-drama series on Netflix. Wife, 25-yr old son, and I all thought it made us laugh and think a bit. Recommended.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:07 pm

StrangePenguin wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 pm
I don't think Bojack Horseman has been mentioned on this thread. It is not for everyone but it wrestles in a humorous way with difficult issues like depression and substance abuse. It's now in its final season on Netflix. [of course, for it to make sense, you need to start watching from the beginning...]
Thanks! I got bored watching The Wire on Amazon Prime and wanted a change of pace. I've watched 3 episodes so far (25 min each) and can see why this show won a few awards. I'll keep going.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Season 2 of End of the F***ing World on Netflix. It's a British dark comedy, l really enjoyed Season 1. So far season 2 seems to be pretty good.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:48 pm

I watched Season 5 of Peaky Blinders yesterday. It ended on a cliffhanger for a major character.

I enjoy the series and the actors and their characters. Sometimes the music is a bit much. I do at times have trouble keeping all the characters straight in my mind.

Rumors are out that a Season 6 may be coming, perhaps in 2021 or later.

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm

MrBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:06 pm
Season 2 of End of the F***ing World on Netflix. It's a British dark comedy, l really enjoyed Season 1. So far season 2 seems to be pretty good.
I just stumbled across this and binged the whole show in two nights -- really enjoyed it too!

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Gilligan's Island on Amazon Prime.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm

heartwood wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:48 pm
I watched Season 5 of Peaky Blinders yesterday. It ended on a cliffhanger for a major character.

I enjoy the series and the actors and their characters. Sometimes the music is a bit much. I do at times have trouble keeping all the characters straight in my mind.

I like everything about this show, even the music. I still have 2 seasons to go but am trying to savor it rather than binge watching all of them. :D

So far it ranks up there with some of my favorite shows of all time.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm

MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm
heartwood wrote:

I like everything about this show, even the music. I still have 2 seasons to go but am trying to savor it rather than binge watching all of them. :D

I have to agree. I watched some of the early episodes again with the kids; they hold up well, and I’m not someone who often watches shows again. The music makes me appreciate my sound system.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:07 pm

StandingRock wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm
Speaking of old shows the Mrs and I found Match Game '75 on Amazon Prime. Talk about a blast from the past. We find it every bit as hilarious as when we were kids. That being said I'm not sure our parents would have let us watch it back in the day if they'd realized it was so full of double entendres. We've watched quite a few of the Rowan and Martin's Laugh In too.

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Watching Babylon Berlin. Thriller in German set in the Weimar Republic era (abysmal conditions in Germany between the world wars). Nice story, lots of complex and intertwined engaging threads, immersion in the bohemian zeitgeist / atmosphere and the political setting in 1930s Germany.

Available either dubbed or subtitled in English on Netflix, though listening in German is helping me re-attune my ear to the language so much that the subtitles are becoming just assistive in understanding.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Yellowstone - liked it quite a bit. Dark, at times a bit over the top and almost sons of anarchy ish.

Watchmen - still not sure what to think. I'm intrigued. Was a little turned off with the comic book feel but captivated by what the heck is going on.

Jack Ryan season 2 - pretty meh. Just interesting enough to watch but kinda boring.

Finished the Affair. Overall enjoyed the series quite a bit.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm
heartwood wrote:

I have to agree. I watched some of the early episodes again with the kids; they hold up well, and I’m not someone who often watches shows again. The music makes me appreciate my sound system.
I agree on the music. Overall like the show but to me it is getting a bit stretched in later seasons.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:53 pm

MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:07 pm
StandingRock wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm
Speaking of old shows the Mrs and I found Match Game '75 on Amazon Prime. Talk about a blast from the past. We find it every bit as hilarious as when we were kids. That being said I'm not sure our parents would have let us watch it back in the day if they'd realized it was so full of double entendres. We've watched quite a few of the Rowan and Martin's Laugh In too.
TV shows these days are either stupid or just a bunch of weirdos.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm

The Kominsky Method is a pretty decent show. Funny, and gets a few laughs in most episodes. Two more to see in season one.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ