iPad air- purchase from Apple store of Costco?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
xrvision

iPad air- purchase from Apple store of Costco?

Post by xrvision » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:19 am

I want to purchase a latest generation iPad air for my mom. Online it appears to be $30 cheaper at Costco compared to the Apple Store. Is there a catch? I love Costco, but I've never bought an expensive Apple product from anywhere other than the Apple store- to my knowledge, a few years ago there were advantages to purchasing directly from Apple; are those no longer valid? Thanks!

Goal33

Re: iPad air- purchase from Apple store of Costco?

Post by Goal33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 am

There’s no catch, and a better return policy. Possibly you May be getting better credit card rewards too.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:25 am

xrvision wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:19 am
to my knowledge, a few years ago there were advantages to purchasing directly from Apple; are those no longer valid?
What advantages to purchasing directly from Apple, aside from the shopping experience of the Apple Store? You get the same Apple warranty and support if you purchase from Costco, Best Buy, or wherever. Apple tends not to run sales/promotions on its products, so you almost always pay more buying from Apple. Even their Black Friday "deals" are crappy.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 am

I buy iPads often for my business. Apple Store has never had the cheapest price. Also, look at B&H Photo. You can find some good deals there and now they have a credit card that gives you a discount (rebate?) for the taxes you pay on the purchase.

testing321

Post by testing321 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:29 am

junior

Post by junior » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 pm

There are no advantages to purchasing from Apple unless, I guess, you enjoy interacting with the salespeople at the Apple store.

tsupersonic

Post by tsupersonic » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:41 pm

junior wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 pm
There are no advantages to purchasing from Apple unless, I guess, you enjoy interacting with the salespeople at the Apple store.
The only advantage I see is that Apple store may have more options per item in stock. For ex: your local Costco may only have the 64 GB iPad Air. But what if you want the 256 GB version? Well the Apple store has it in stock. Same goes for Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc. If you don't need it immediately, I'd still order from Costco's website (or if it's not in the warehouse)

jwasilko

Post by jwasilko » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Apple's refurbs can be a real steal. Often they are just customer returns. I bought a ipad pro refurb a year ago and it was immaculate.

All refurbished iPad models come with a new battery, new outer shell, are backed by a one-year warranty, have free delivery and returns, and also include:

Full functional testing, genuine Apple part replacements (if necessary), and a thorough cleaning
The original Operating System or a more recent version1
All refurbished devices are repackaged in a brand new box with all accessories and cables2

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad

navyitaly

Post by navyitaly » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:21 pm

refurbished items are not eligible for credit card benefits (purchase protection, extended warranty, etc)

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:06 pm

While you're at it, check out prices on the device that you want on Amazon or similar sites.

I've had success buying genuine Apple products at prices well below Apple Store. Might even beat Costco.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

testing321

Post by testing321 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Any veterans, or families of, here's a real deal on an Apple iPad Air 10.5" 64GB: https://www.shopmyexchange.com/apple-ip ... fi/1864369

Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Buying online from Apple gives you the option to engrave something on the back, e.g., your name.

Apple also offers credit if you're are trading in an old iPad.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Voltaire2.0 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:35 pm
Buying online from Apple gives you the option to engrave something on the back, e.g., your name.

Apple also offers credit if you're are trading in an old iPad.
Yes trading in an old device directly to Apple online offers "one stop shopping" and I have done this in the past and it made the transaction of buying and selling simpler with less of my time required to do this.

I, however, recently bought a new IPad and traded in my IPad Air 1 via a direct IPad online purchase. Sent my IPad Air 1 in and was told there was a crack in the housing and would get zero on this return. I had them sent it back and I for the life of me could not see any crack. I sent it to another online retailer that buys Apple devices (decluttr). They bought the device for $5 more than the original Apple offer.

Point being next time I might just take the best deal out there instead of dealing with Apple directly and sell my old device to another online 3rd party myself.

Billavoider

Post by Billavoider » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Apple used to offer discounts to State/public employees with proper identification when you purchased items in the Apple Store. Not sure whether Apple still offers discounts to State/public employees. You would have to ask as they did not publicize the discount.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Bought Apple stuff from Costco for year. No issues.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:34 pm

I bought both the iPad Air 3 and iPad Mini 5 from Costco in the spring right after they came out. I ordered them online and picked them up at the store. Easy as can be.

A month later my brand new iPad Mini failed with a hardware issue. I took it up to the local Apple Store and got it replaced.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.